PDA

View Full Version : Gaming performance with and w/out power supply plugged in?

blueruckus
10-13-2012, 08:35 AM
As long as your power plan settings are set to High Performance mode is there any performance difference while gaming with or without the power supply plugged in?

I've read a few people mention that GTX 660 draws more power than what battery voltage supplies and that performance is throttled due to this when running on just battery.

Any truth to this?

AzraelsKiss
10-13-2012, 09:11 AM
As long as your power plan settings are set to High Performance mode is there any performance difference while gaming with or without the power supply plugged in?

I've read a few people mention that GTX 660 draws more power than what battery voltage supplies and that performance is throttled due to this when running on just battery.

Any truth to this?
There's probably at least half a dozen threads about this issue, and they all pretty much say... Don't try to play games on battery. Unless you don't mind crappy graphics performance.

blueruckus
10-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Ahh, thanks for the prompt reply.

That's unfortunate though, kind of defeats the point of having a mobile gaming laptop. I'll see if I can find a thread that speaks about this more in-depth. Sorry for the clutter.

AzraelsKiss
10-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Ahh, thanks for the prompt reply.

That's unfortunate though, kind of defeats the point of having a mobile gaming laptop. I'll see if I can find a thread that speaks about this more in-depth. Sorry for the clutter.
Systems like these are more designed to be desktop replacements. Basic tasks can still be carried out while on battery, but when it comes to gaming and other graphic intensive operations, notebook batteries just aren't capable of keeping up with the power requirements, so you're expected to find a power outlet. Even if you could get decent graphics while on battery, you'll only be able to have it run for a very short time before you'd be forced to plug it back in anyways.

blueruckus
10-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Gotcha. This is my first gaming laptop as I'm mostly a desktop gamer. Thanks for the enlightenment.

mrwolf
10-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Every week we get the same thread from individuals who have clearly failed to do any reading or understanding of their laptop what so ever...

john_from_ohio
10-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Every week we get the same thread from individuals who have clearly failed to do any reading or understanding of their laptop what so ever...

Not that we are bitter about it though ... researching things via google or a forum search is just so ... difficult ...

Answering posts like this though does build ones post count on the asus rog forum ... and that is worth ... well ... ( varies by motivation purposes ) ...

Cecil_2099
10-13-2012, 11:52 PM
A mod should just sticky this thread or one of the countless others...

AzraelsKiss
10-14-2012, 03:10 AM
A mod should just sticky this thread or one of the countless others...
There a thread in the important and useful threads section.

Just buildin' that post count brick by brick...

c_man
10-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Well, not everyone knows stuff

http://pics.kuvaton.com/kuvei/susv_for_sale.jpg

Cecil_2099
10-15-2012, 04:55 PM
There a thread in the important and useful threads section.

Just buildin' that post count brick by brick...

Yeah, I put that thread in there but most new users go to that thread section. If it were stickied here we'd have our bases covered ya know?

Timminit
10-18-2012, 01:46 AM
just thought id put my 2 cents in here and say that playing a game unplugged on the g75vw is unplayable. i tried playing mechwarrior online unplugged and omg i cant even move! just alot of hardware to run off a wee batt ya know.