PDA

View Full Version : AC MODE BATTERY MODE Over and over and over again

KylePmore
10-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Hey guys, On my G74Sx I have been reading previous threads of when the power options keep flickering between AC Mode and Battery mode.

My Asus warranty is currently up so my plans are to have it fixed by a 3rd party.

Do we know what the real problem is with this? Is it the DC jack or the power cord itself? I took a pair of tweezers and noticed that the DC pin itself inside of the computer is a little loose. I have also noticed that the tip of the power cord gets a little hot.

So, is it the power cord or the DC Jack? The power cord looks like it runs between $50-$60 while I can have a DC jack repair for $70. I just want to know which one the problem seems to be so I don't end up spending $100 replacing one, have that not be the problem, and replacing the other.

Jaggz
10-14-2012, 04:50 AM
My G73 has the same problem and I bought another OEM adapter off Amazon and fixed the issue. I'm not saying that's the solution to your case, but it worked in mine. Also, I bought mine refurbished for $35 from some no name company that was backed by Amazon's guarantee. It was the exact same adapter and part number, so if you come down to it you might wanna go that route so you're not out too much cash if it ends up the wrong solution.

However, I would point out that my computer is older than yours by 2-3 months and mine is still well within warranty (2 years P&L). Are you sure that yours is out of warranty? I'd double check before spending anything. Just hope you don't have the same luck as I am with my current RMA.

G'luck!

Gorman
10-14-2012, 06:01 AM
If your pin is already loose, then you will need to replace it.

_
10-15-2012, 04:16 AM
Either the power adapter is failing (less likely) or the jack connection is faulty. It also happens if you use a power adapter lower than the spec it's rated for (using 95W instead of 120W for example)

Gorman
10-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Marshall there's no need to make a pointless post like that. If the DC pin is loose and the plug gets hot then it's the same problem that hundreds of others have had before.

If your reasoning is correct then ASUS is selling adapters rated below what the laptops need. That's not very friendly of them.