PDA

View Full Version : G73JH Hard Lockup

monaro
05-20-2011, 01:10 AM
For several months now I have been experiencing hard lockups with my G73JH that I bought from Best Buy.

The only solution is to hold the power button to power off the machine and then power on again.

The machine will run fine for a week or two, then the lockups occur so frequently (and apparently randomly) that the system is unusable.

I have returned the machine to Asus and though their support was very good, they simply replaced the HDD and sent it back.

I owned the laptop for almost a year before I started to get lockups.

At first I thought this may be related to the GPU overheating, as I did get some lockups where the video turned off, but I could still hear sound while playing games. I investigated and found that the GPU was running extremely hot and the fans were extremely noisy. I opened the machine and found a large amount of dust filling the exhaust vents. I cleaned this out and the temperatures returned to normal and the fans ran much quieter.

I then decided to install a Patriot Inferno 120GB SSD. At first the install seemed to have issues, but after reattempting the install everything was fine...for a while.

The hard lockups began so I removed the SSD and went back to the factory HDD.

The hard lockups continued.

I thought maybe I dislodged something when I cleaned the vents so I pulled the machine apart and put it back together again being sure to check everything was secured properly.

I returned the machine to Asus under RMA, they returned it to me with a new HDD.

I have experimented with different BIOS versions, including 209, 211 and 213. All had the same issue.

I have experimented with different video card drivers, all had the same issue.

I have experimented with different sound card drivers, I thought that installing no drivers may have fixed the issue, but alas the hard lockups continued.

I have experienced the lockups in Windows, Kubuntu, and even OSX (yes OSX) so the operating system does not seem to be the issue.

I have tried the SSD, HDD and RAM in other machines and run various diagnostics without problem.

I could return the laptop to Asus but I think they would not be able to detect the problem as it seems to occur after several days of usage. I really would not be happy unless they were able to identify the exact cause or replace a major component or the entire machine.

If anyone else has experienced the same problems, or can help in any way I would be extremely grateful as I have already spent many hours on this and have had to purchase another laptop as I am a computer programmer and need a working machine in order to earn an income.

Cheers,
Steven

Chastity@ASUS
05-20-2011, 10:20 PM
You never mentioned you updated you vBIOS for the GPU. I would do that first. See "How to Fix your GSOD Blues" in the stickies

monaro
05-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Sorry I should have mentioned I did that too.

INzider
06-08-2011, 03:26 PM
So what, no solution for this guy MOD/TECH????
Wil this guy get refund?

This can't be possible...
Im into same situation and can't afford loosing the cpu for many days!

ARGHHHH!
This is plain stupid, a 2k laptop that worth crap.....
This aint honnest business.

Chastity@ASUS
06-08-2011, 05:53 PM
@Monaro: I re-read your posting, and would be interested to see what happens when you remove all the RAM except the hidden one, and tried running it like that for a few days. If it continues, then I would suggest having the motherboard replaced. Also, does it happen when on AC power, or Battery? Have you also tried a different PSU? A faulty PSU can cause weird issues like this. Have you tried running the laptop with the battery removed and on AC only?

Chastity@ASUS
06-08-2011, 05:56 PM
So what, no solution for this guy MOD/TECH????
Wil this guy get refund?

This can't be possible...
Im into same situation and can't afford loosing the cpu for many days!

ARGHHHH!
This is plain stupid, a 2k laptop that worth crap.....
This aint honnest business.

I'd be interested in getting more info about your situation as well. If you already posted it somewhere, can you link me please? (I get so many posts from several forums I cannot remember them all.) :)

Aaron M.
12-13-2014, 05:57 AM
I'd be interested in getting more info about your situation as well. If you already posted it somewhere, can you link me please? (I get so many posts from several forums I cannot remember them all.) :) i have done all the thing that I've been having this problem for a LONG Time ive went from Windows 7 to 8 and back tried 3 different hard drives and i get blue screen that pops up saying Error 0x000000f4 , KERNAL DATA INPAGE ERROR

Aaron M.
12-13-2014, 05:58 AM
its a BSOD And yes ive flashed the BIOS with that tool you posted infact i still have it on my USB