PDA

View Full Version : Samsung 830 vs Intel 520 SSD?

Woots
10-15-2012, 05:07 PM
I wanna grab a couple 240-256GB SSD's (a new one for my main rig and a new one for my laptop).

I am on the fence about Sammy vs Intel. They are both great. The price on sammy right now seems to be amazing though.

Samsung 830 256GB ($160)
http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC256B-WW/dp/B0077CR66A

Intel 520 240GB ($236)
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Series-Solid-State-Drive-2-5-Inch/dp/B006VCP9G6

Is there enough of a performance/longevity gain on the intel to warrant the higher price over the samsung 830 which is also a great performer? I don't really follow the benching scene as much as I used to now a days so I am not 100% clued in to all the latest analysis.

Thanks in advance for help.

c_man
10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Well, I think Samsung will last longer. The have an amazing rep and data to back that up.

Is the price good because Samsung will offer 840 series soon?

HiVizMan
10-15-2012, 05:21 PM
The Intel uses this SandForce SF-2281 controller. Not a favourite controller of mine.

I use the Samsung 830 for all my personal builds and use it exclusively for my corporate enterprise builds.

bignazpwns
10-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Go with the Intel if money dose not matter. You wont see a difference between the 2 but the intel will have better firmware and take more writes. But both are great drives and are pretty close to equal all around.

Woots
10-15-2012, 05:39 PM
At close to 70 buck difference going with sammy pays for nearly 50% of the second one I would buy.

I think I am leaning towards sammy this round.

That comment about intel ssd firmware being better than samsung...
Is that just because intel updates their SSD firmware more frequently then Sammy?
or
Is there info that says intel SSD firmware updates are less likely to brick their SSD's and samsung are more prone to bricking their SSD's?

Also, should I just hold off for Samsung 840.. will it be worth it?

Woots
10-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Update:

I just bought 2x 256GB Sammy 830's. I am sure the 840 pro will be nicer, but the price will be higher for a while too and I need more space now not later so waiting not an option in this case. I can always grab better SSD's down the road.. these things have short lives anyway.

Thanks for the all the input guys.

xeromist
10-15-2012, 06:21 PM
should I just hold off for Samsung 840.. will it be worth it?

It's going to be a much higher price so that goes back to your comment about the difference paying for another drive. Are you willing to pay a premium for a single generation performance bump?

c_man
10-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Indeed, that price is crazy! Have fun with them!

Shawnnepc
10-15-2012, 06:30 PM
The Intel uses this SandForce SF-2281 controller. Not a favourite controller of mine.

I use the Samsung 830 for all my personal builds and use it exclusively for my corporate enterprise builds.

Same!

I also like the toolkit that comes with the SSDs

Woots
10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Just an FYI looks like price went back up on Amazon by 10 bucks and they are almost sold out... but newegg has a 10 dollar off promo coupon right now for same price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164

For those interested....The difference between Samsung 830 MZ-7PC256B vs MZ-7PC256D (which costs more) is only the D includes a PC mounting kit the B is just the drive so the B will work fine in our laptop.

AlanMcKinnon
10-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Update:

I just bought 2x 256GB Sammy 830's. I am sure the 840 pro will be nicer, but the price will be higher for a while too and I need more space now not later so waiting not an option in this case. I can always grab better SSD's down the road.. these things have short lives anyway.

Thanks for the all the input guys.

Short lives? How short are we talking?

I'm looking into SSDs but I'm not about to drop almost $1 per gig if it won't last.

john_from_ohio
10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm looking into SSDs but I'm not about to drop almost $1 per gig if it won't last.

Well ... lets see ... my intel 520 180 gb ssd has been in my Asus G75VW for 6 months now ...

The Intel Solid Sate Drive Toolbox says that I have 100 percent estimated life remaining ...

Looks like 20 years at least!!!

The short life "internet fear" thing may have been much more applicable 5 years ago. Technology changes and matures and so does firmware.

The Intel 520 series does have a sandforce controller "somewhere under there" but heavily modded by intel ( hardware also ? / not sure ) at least with firmware.

Any pc/laptop ... running ssd or hard drive ... you better have some kind of backup plan in effect unless you want to take the risk of losing all your data.

However the hyped short life thing is probably not very relevant for most of the latest gen ssd drives.

I would recommend the intels highly ... but not much wrong with the sammy's either ...

Woots
10-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Short lives? How short are we talking?

Sorry I should be more careful with my words for people who are just getting into this...

I would optimistically say to you... dont let life span fear keep you from the performance gains you get with an SSD it's a serious dream come true for PC users the first time you use them.... As far as life span goes...honestly by time normal usage would consume one the technology would be shifted generations far enough forward you would be looking for a whole new PC/Laptop.

However, education is important when you get into "enthusiast level" products in any hobby. There are people who burn through their SSD's very quickly. The concern is legit, but keep in mind these people are doing extremely heavy usage ...read/write many GB's a day.

It's why they say never to defrag your SSD too since the read/write during that process is very intense and you are just eating up life on it when it's not even really needed since SSD's are so fast even locational fragment doesn't hit its performance harshly.

On the lighter side...I have SSD's I bought 2.5-3? years ago on one of my older PC rigs that have not even failed yet and still go strong and that was earlier tech they have gotten way more reliable! (an OCZ and an G.Skill) I personally have had very good luck with them in my ownership of SSD's.

I only made the life span comment cause I see people on the net who clearly burn out their SSD's quick...(posting screenies of life span drops very quickly.. and even final failures) personally I got no clue WTF they are doing to burn them out so fast (defrag?, video editing stripe raids? non stop online up/download 24/7)

If you are that type of user just know it's in realm of possibilities, so I always purchase them knowing it may be a fancy money sink so I have an open mind if they bite the dust (I have yet to have that happen ever though thankfully).

EDIT: I use them for OS and offload select handful of Steam/Origin/MMO's games onto them for speed loading my fave games... even with that I never had a fail (and games are like 10-30GBs in size and I cycle through new/old ones a lot over the year onto and off of my SSD's.

Also, I had an 128GB Sandisk SSD on this laptop for 4 months now (upgrading to this Sammy 830 now) and my lifespan reading on this current drive says 100% lifespan still and I have dumped many TB's worth of games onto and off of it now in those 4 months.

rewben
10-16-2012, 03:18 AM
yes the life span of ssds really depends on usage. the reports and postings about it on the internet are somewhat confusing and has created such unnecessary fear. to me, the words 'limited life span' do not imply anything with time but the limited write cycles of NAND memories. it boils down to how you use your ssd everyday. coupled with basic optimizations that minimize writes to ssds, i think it's ok to say that they are good for at least 3 to 5 years easily for common daily usage.

i use my old vertex 3 (1 year+) as data storage. everyday i have about tens of GBs of data transferred to and removed from it. so far (touch wood) so good.

bignazpwns
10-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Most people wont even know when there drives are starting to die. When parts of the memory start to die it uses memory that it original had set aside to fill that gap to keep the capacity up.

You wont need to worry about them die. I used 830's since they came out with no problems. I have benchmarked Kingston Hyper X 3k's to a oblivion and no issues with them "But to be fair the 3k's i got have the same ic's as the intel 520 i got".

Most drives now come with 3-5 year warranties. In that time if it messes up get a new one. After that upgrade as newer faster drives will be dirt cheap and the drive you have will be like a old 5,300 rpm drive.