PDA

View Full Version : Hi, it's about shortcut keys

Chungz
10-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Hi everybody,
I am new here and it's about my new purchased laptop.
I just bought a asus G55V series.
So far I am quite happy with it.

But only one thing I find that are driving me crazy which is the shortcut keys.
I not sure why when I press ctrl + C and it will freeze my softwares.
By the way I am a designer so I need to press that very very often and this problems of freezing software are killing me.....

Much Much appreciation if anyone could just suggest me some methods to solve this problem.

Thanks ALOT~!!!

Chungz
10-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Also I have already google this problems like hundreds time still I couldn't find a way to get rid of it....

:(:mad:

Gorman
10-16-2012, 03:42 AM
Never heard of this before. I would do a clean install of the OS and software.

I've never had freezes on ctrl+c, or any combination.

Are you sure you are pressing ctrl+c and not fn+c by mistake?

rewben
10-16-2012, 05:05 AM
@Gorman, pressing fn+c doesn't 'freeze' anything.

@Chungz, i assume you're using the stock windows with additional software that come with purchase. try disable/uninstall McAfee for start and see how it goes.

but before you do that, and since this is a new purchase, you might wanna read about the following first:
1. First things to do after buying G55/G75 based notebooks (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17461-First-things-to-do-after-buying-G55-G75-based-notebooks) and
2. Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16645-Step-by-Step-Using-ASUS-Recovery-DVDs-to-Restore-G75).

Woots
10-16-2012, 05:40 AM
Yes lagging your machine just doing clipboard copies is awfully unusual... sounds more like PC's back in in windows 95 era. Now a days with all the ram machines have these days you should never see lag doing a clipboard copy.

If this is occurring there has to be a system/software/configuration issue (I think software or windows service related)... and no that is not normal for sure on the G75 and shouldn't even be normal on anything in this modern era... even smart phones copy/paste with ease these days.

Since copy is memory related you need to look at software or hardware that can effect your memory.

Virus scanning software does realtime memory scanning and it could interfere and cause artificial lag (it temporarily sandboxes it and scans it for viruses before it lets you have control over it again, this would cause a lag in some cases depending on the virus scanner brand *cough* Norton *cough* lol )... try shutting down your firewall-virus scanner suite if you have one and testing if this fixes it (no matter what brand you have these suites are usually the source of a lot of drama and always step one with these kind of issues).

Other active apps running in memory could all be the culprit depending on what it is and if it's playing not nice with your hardware setup. I would look at testing this by slowly ending task on ALL non windows related processes and streamline your memory in windows... then do the copy test see if that fixed it... maybe you can find the responsible program sitting in ram? (ctrl-alt-del...task manager...process tab... sort by memory so heavy stuff is at top.) Just don't end windows processes or windows will reboot... the advantage of this is you can test your clipboard lag with each app you end and maybe you can precisely pinpoint which active app is doing this (if any)

Beyond that you may shut down many unneeded windows 7 services (which is the next level of the step above.) By going into windows admin tools>services.
Use this to figure out a good profile you wanna establish and which things are safe to shut down... it slightly time consuming but it's key to making your rigs fly with as little interference as "needed" from your OS as possible.
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations

Obviously remove all bloat ware especially stuff running actively that is un-needed.

The last steps beyond all of that are doing a RAM test to make sure you don't have faulty ram (which I doubt you do since you are not having BSOD's and such) and a full windows install... which again is way overkill this early on on the problem solving game.

My thoughts are you just need to streamline your new system .. some app or service is messing with your config.

dstrakele
10-16-2012, 05:49 AM
I not sure why when I press ctrl + C and it will freeze my softwares.

1) When you say "freeze my softwares", do you mean a system lockup where you must hold down the Power On button to shutdown, then reboot to recover, or do you just end the frozen application and relaunch it, or is the freeze just temporary?

2) Does this 'freeze' behavior occur with ANY program or only with specific programs? If with specific programs, please identify them.

3) What programs are running when a freeze occurs? Can you boot up, launch NotePad, enter some text, highlight it, then CTRL-C and cause a freeze?

4) Are you running the ASUS Factory Windows installation with ASUS Bloatware or have you performed a clean Windows 7 install?

5) What Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Access, or Disk Management software have you installed? As @rewben posted, McAfee Antivirus is known to cause lag spikes on G55 and G75 systems. If you are currently using McAfee, it may be best to uninstall it and choose a different Antivirus program.

6) I agree with @Woots that a freeze on CTRL-C is unusual. If uninstalling McAfee is not the resolution, I would probably run memtest86+ for at least 3 passes to confirm your laptop's memory is sound.