PDA

View Full Version : asus g55vw with 32 gb ram????

lobo9mm
10-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Ive got an g55vm witg 8 gbram. And i wanna upgrade...im a little confuse

Can i put 4x8 gb (32 gbRAM) 1600 sodimm ???
Themotheboard willlsupport it????

xeromist
10-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Yes, but it comes with Windows Home Premium which only allows 16GB. You would have to buy Professional or Ultimate.

amuffin
10-16-2012, 05:22 AM
What will you be doing that would require 32GB of ram?

bignazpwns
10-16-2012, 06:09 AM

I can think of a bunch of stuff. My main desktop system uses 64gig os ram but i use 56gigs as a ramdisk.

Maybe he uses his system for 3D work or something professional like that. Or maybe he wants to run a ramdisk.

Now i never really cracked a G55VW open. But acordeing to Asus's site the i5's have 2 dimm's and the i7 version have 4 dimm's. So if you got a i5 according to this no you cant do 32gigs. It will have a max of 16gigs. The i7 can do upto 32gig's however you will be voiding your warranty if they put the dimms on the top side of the mobo for the other 2 slots like they did with the G75

_
10-16-2012, 06:45 AM
The difference between Core i5 and i7 is CPU features only. The actual hardware in the G55 remains the same and there are 2 DIMM under the keyboard and 2 DIMM in the open in all cases.

rewben
10-16-2012, 06:50 AM
The difference between Core i5 and i7 is CPU features only. The actual hardware in the G55 remains the same and there are 2 DIMM under the keyboard and 2 DIMM in the open in all cases.

thanks for the clarification; and then this (http://rog.asus.com/notebook/15-inch/g55vw/) must be incorrect (specifications), and we thought they're like that in different sku's all this while.

ggBanks
10-16-2012, 07:39 AM
OP - you should should have bought your laptop with 32 gigs from the beginning. Now you have to think about the correct RAM modules to buy because of the RAM timings and the correct speed and stuff. Your day just got worse buddy.

rewben
10-16-2012, 07:52 AM
@ggBanks, to be frank, it's not that hard :) he can just refer to these simple steps (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75&p=168646&viewfull=1#post168646).

unless the OP is still absolutely clueless after reading that, he can just ask someone with experience and refer them to the steps.

Zygomorphic
10-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Get two sets of identical 2x8 1600 MHz RAM. Get rid of everything in there replace it with the stuff you just bought. Since the probability is that they did not go 2x8 GB before, you might as well match everything.

ggBanks
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
@ggBanks, to be frank, it's not that hard :) he can just refer to these simple steps (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75&p=168646&viewfull=1#post168646).

unless the OP is still absolutely clueless after reading that, he can just ask someone with experience and refer them to the steps.
Yea sure I was just making it look bad, but it isn't really :D Still from my point of view 32 gigs is juuust a bit overkill.

bignazpwns
10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Yea sure I was just making it look bad, but it isn't really :D Still from my point of view 32 gigs is juuust a bit overkill.

Not really. I got it in mine and i use a 24gig ram disk with 8 gigs of ram for the system. I wish i could go 64gigs in the laptop for a bigger ramdisk.

Also aslong are your not derp its very easy to just slap whatever ram you want in the g75 boot it "As long as its not the cheap crap ram from the compton swap meet" fire up intel xterme tuning utility and change those timings. Wish we could do it in bios but oh well. I have had no problems running the cheap pny ddr3 1333 ram at the same timings and clocks as the stock crap ram in the system.

If hes going 32 gigs he docent need to match up anything. The G55 and G75 are not all that picky about the ram they take but i will say they dont like some sticks but for the most part it will take anything that fits and run it will. This is one of the good things about the G series but then again Asus boards have always been pretty good on ram with my dealings.

Zygomorphic
10-17-2012, 12:43 AM
@bignaz, that is true, I was just saying that the likelihood is that he will have to pull the old RAM (4x4 or 2x4) to put in 4x8, so he might as well match everything. Personally, since I only went with 16 GB, I run mismatched RAM (all 1333) and have no problems.

ggBanks
10-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Shouldn't running 2x1600MHz and 2x1333MHz down-clock the first two so the 4 modules run simultaneously at the same speed? At least I think that's what happens, but I'm not sure.

Not really. I got it in mine and i use a 24gig ram disk with 8 gigs of ram for the system. I wish i could go 64gigs in the laptop for a bigger ramdisk.

Also aslong are your not derp its very easy to just slap whatever ram you want in the g75 boot it "As long as its not the cheap crap ram from the compton swap meet" fire up intel xterme tuning utility and change those timings. Wish we could do it in bios but oh well. I have had no problems running the cheap pny ddr3 1333 ram at the same timings and clocks as the stock crap ram in the system.

If hes going 32 gigs he docent need to match up anything. The G55 and G75 are not all that picky about the ram they take but i will say they dont like some sticks but for the most part it will take anything that fits and run it will. This is one of the good things about the G series but then again Asus boards have always been pretty good on ram with my dealings.

Can you please say how do you setup ram disk, and what is the benefit of it? I am just curious because I don't know anything about it.

lobo9mm
10-17-2012, 08:27 PM

why have 16 if u can have 32 ????? :P

xeromist
10-17-2012, 08:38 PM
why have 16 if u can have 32 ????? :P

Because it costs more and for 99% of people is utterly and completely useless. It's like burning money.
Because Windows Home Premium only lets you use 16GB and Professional costs more but provides no benefit to gamers.
Because if the CPU has a weak memory controller maxing out memory can sometimes cause compatibility and tuning headaches.

wannagofast
10-17-2012, 10:38 PM
With the cost of memory today why not max it out. I put 4 8gig sticks of G-Skill memory that cost $115 (on sale) in a G75 . I was all ready opening the laptop to do other things, and at the time had a ssd raid0 array so I had to purchase Windows Pro. A Ram Disk is having a extra drive by using the memory. My ssd raid got 1,000 MB reads and 630 MB writes, my Ram Disk gets 5,000 MB reads and 7,000 MB writes (and no, those numbers are not backwards). I do all my rar/zip/tar file archive stuff on the Ram Disk and it's blazing fast and keeps the writes off the ssd.

bignazpwns
10-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Shouldn't running 2x1600MHz and 2x1333MHz down-clock the first two so the 4 modules run simultaneously at the same speed? At least I think that's what happens, but I'm not sure. Can you please say how do you setup ram disk, and what is the benefit of it? I am just curious because I don't know anything about it.

Few ways you can. Best to just buy this program

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk easy to use and set up

http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/ free but a bit more complex to use

I run 2 pretty fast SATAIII SSD's in RAID0. My average read and write is a little over 1,200 mb/s Keep in mind this is a insanely fast raid. My ramdisk average read and write is 4,200mb/s. Note im not listing busrt or max speed these are the lower averages. The burst on my ramdisk can hit about 9,000mbs

I run WoW on a ramdisk and i can tell you my load screens on my ssd would be there for about 2 sec. On my ramdisk they flash less then 1 sec. Now the big benefit is when you do work with huge files and what not. Also they ramdisk uses less power "not like it really matters"

But if you got enough cash to get the ram to pull off a deacent size ramdisk why saveing atleast 4-8gb for your system then ramdisk is a sweet set up for some game installs if you can get the space or other uses. Ramdisk is way way way way way faster then 2 Raided SATA III SSD's could ever hope to be. Also when you run a ramdisk you access time drops to 0.0ms. From the SSD's 0.2ms.

Ramdisk is not new. Its been around for a long time. My results listed were on a G75. You should see the numbers i get running my desktop with quad channel ram DDR3 2800 heavily overclocked to 3000. Note for that you need a cpu with a hell beefy mem controller a few i7 i got just wont do it but i found one that does. But thats the benches you bring out when kids think their SSD's are fast

GottiBoi55
10-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Ive got an g55vm witg 8 gbram. And i wanna upgrade...im a little confuse

Can i put 4x8 gb (32 gbRAM) 1600 sodimm ???
Themotheboard willlsupport it????

Dude, I have 16GB in my G75vw and i will never use all.
you would have to have many programs open, and running at the same time to use all that ram!

Why in the world would you need 32GB of ram for?

bignazpwns
10-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Dude, I have 16GB in my G75vw and i will never use all.
you would have to have many programs open, and running at the same time to use all that ram!

Why in the world would you need 32GB of ram for?

Just because the programs you use don't require a ton of ram does
ot mean everyone else does. I do some 3D work with programs that run like crap on 16 gigs of ram. I know pwoplw who do 3D cad who use a min of 24 gigs. It all depends on what people do. 95% of people useing computers will never max out 4 gigs let alone 8 or 16. But i know some people who maxed out 32gigs and are running 64gigs now.

rewben
10-18-2012, 02:05 AM
yes, like what bignazpwns said, ramdisk is very useful to some of us. for me it's for my work. i use softperfect ramdisk (the recent 3.3.2 version improved tremendously in performance, and it's free for unlimited size).

ggBanks
10-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Few ways you can. Best to just buy this program

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk easy to use and set up

http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/ free but a bit more complex to use

I run 2 pretty fast SATAIII SSD's in RAID0. My average read and write is a little over 1,200 mb/s Keep in mind this is a insanely fast raid. My ramdisk average read and write is 4,200mb/s. Note im not listing busrt or max speed these are the lower averages. The burst on my ramdisk can hit about 9,000mbs

I run WoW on a ramdisk and i can tell you my load screens on my ssd would be there for about 2 sec. On my ramdisk they flash less then 1 sec. Now the big benefit is when you do work with huge files and what not. Also they ramdisk uses less power "not like it really matters"

But if you got enough cash to get the ram to pull off a deacent size ramdisk why saveing atleast 4-8gb for your system then ramdisk is a sweet set up for some game installs if you can get the space or other uses. Ramdisk is way way way way way faster then 2 Raided SATA III SSD's could ever hope to be. Also when you run a ramdisk you access time drops to 0.0ms. From the SSD's 0.2ms.

Ramdisk is not new. Its been around for a long time. My results listed were on a G75. You should see the numbers i get running my desktop with quad channel ram DDR3 2800 heavily overclocked to 3000. Note for that you need a cpu with a hell beefy mem controller a few i7 i got just wont do it but i found one that does. But thats the benches you bring out when kids think their SSD's are fast

Can you install a game on the RAMDisc and if you can what happens when you shut down your system ? Does you FPS improve when you play WOW ?

AzraelsKiss
10-18-2012, 08:46 AM
The ramdisk is cleared on reboot, but I know scripts can be used to load programs into ramdisk for execution. You can even write a script that automatically offloads changes to the ramdisk to the data drive at shutdown, so that they're available the next time you load the program.

rewben
10-18-2012, 09:19 AM
@AzraelsKiss, no need for scripts. ramdisk software such as softperfect and dataram allow users to save the changes in the ramdisk image automatically. however, it will take some times to save them.

AMD's Radeon RAMDisk (http://www.radeonramdisk.com/) is dataram.

AzraelsKiss
10-18-2012, 09:42 AM
@AzraelsKiss, no need for scripts. ramdisk software such as softperfect and dataram allow users to save the changes in the ramdisk image automatically. however, it will take some times to save them.

AMD's Radeon RAMDisk (http://www.radeonramdisk.com/) is dataram.
SoftWare... Scripts... I've only done ramdisks manually back in the day, so I wouldn't know much about the software, but I'm sure the software route is better because I'm sure it's more of an active sync than most scripts. Hell... Come to think of... As far as I know, software may be the only way nowadays... LOL Haven't personally set up a ramdisk since the DOS days. :P

Zygomorphic
10-18-2012, 10:11 AM
The ramdisk is cleared on reboot, but I know scripts can be used to load programs into ramdisk for execution. You can even write a script that automatically offloads changes to the ramdisk to the data drive at shutdown, so that they're available the next time you load the program.

Hence a very good reason to learn Windows shell scripts (or LINUX Bash, if that's what you're running). LINUX can create a RAM disk without extra tools, which is nice, but the command-line sequence required is huge.

rewben
10-18-2012, 10:32 AM
in linux it's even simple :) it's as easy as defining a mount point with type tmpfs and size in /etc/fstab (in centos for instance) and you're good to go lol; for high read-write operations of small files (e.g. antivirus scanning of incoming and outgoing emails; very efficient even when traffics are high).

well, ram disk is a good thing to have especially when ram is relatively affordable nowadays. with 24gb now, 8gb is more than enough for my personal usage.

edit: there are more than one way to do it in linux. i am lazy so i chose the simplest one lol!

bignazpwns
10-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Can you install a game on the RAMDisc and if you can what happens when you shut down your system ? Does you FPS improve when you play WOW ?

Program automaticly saves the image on shutdown and writes it on start up. And no drive will give you more fps they only decrease or increase load times.

ggBanks
10-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Oh yea I wrote that in a different way that I meant it :D What I meant by FPS is like I read in another thread that SSDs fix Diablo 3 stuttering while loading terrain textures for example and I was wondering if it will work with the RAMDisc.

GottiBoi55
10-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Just because the programs you use don't require a ton of ram does
ot mean everyone else does. I do some 3D work with programs that run like crap on 16 gigs of ram. I know pwoplw who do 3D cad who use a min of 24 gigs. It all depends on what people do. 95% of people useing computers will never max out 4 gigs let alone 8 or 16. But i know some people who maxed out 32gigs and are running 64gigs now.

Yeah, so you can use a "tom of ram", but the question is does iobo9mm really need that much ram?
I was asking him about all that ram.
well I do some video conversion, and a little video editing and still have plenty of ram.

These days you can get DDR3 ram at a decent price, and you can get a performance boost on the cheap.
Ram is the cheapest way to boost your performance.

fostert
10-19-2012, 04:33 AM
LINUX can create a RAM disk without extra tools, which is nice, but the command-line sequence required is huge.

Ah, no. Just add this line to your fstab (the first line is just a comment showing each field's name):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Device Mountpoint Filesystem Options Check/Backup

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs size=24G 0 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This mounts a 24GB RAMdisk into /tmp, where linux reads/writes its temp files. Brutally fast.

Zygomorphic
10-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks @fostert, I did some more googling, and it appears that what I had seen involved a bunch of other stuff that I didn't remember (allocating the RAMdisk and then adding it to initrc). I'll keep this in mind! Do you use a ram-disk much under LINUX?

rewben
10-19-2012, 10:34 AM
nice, another linux user :) i'm kinda sucks in linux desktop computing. now i know who to look for lol!

@Zygomorphic, maybe what you've read was about persistent-like ramdisk that can be loaded during the next boot. for temp folders in servers, there is almost no such need for this persistence feature.

Zygomorphic
10-20-2012, 01:14 AM
nice, another linux user :) i'm kinda sucks in linux desktop computing. now i know who to look for lol!

@Zygomorphic, maybe what you've read was about persistent-like ramdisk that can be loaded during the next boot. for temp folders in servers, there is almost no such need for this persistence feature.

I think so, that makes more sense as to why it involved stuff. Still, all things considered it would be really handy to copy commonly-accessed media to a RAMdisk for a web server.

rewben
10-20-2012, 03:40 AM
ram is also a precious resource on server. if you owned a server, you can definitely do whatever you want with it. for new servers that come with a lot of ram, if it can be used as a single host, i will definitely do that too. but these cases are very rare for corporates. these days many are moving towards server virtualization with new machines. it's still hard to find the balance point sometimes.

for old machines, they usually come with rather limited resources. most of the times, we can only do that much (i.e. using small-sized ram-based /tmp).

fostert
10-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks @fostert, I did some more googling, and it appears that what I had seen involved a bunch of other stuff that I didn't remember (allocating the RAMdisk and then adding it to initrc). I'll keep this in mind! Do you use a ram-disk much under LINUX?
No, I only allocate 1GB of the 32GB in my G74 for the RAMdisk temp file storage. The rest I usually leave free to display data cubes, and to run Windows 7 in a VM (I give the VM 4 GB of system RAM to use). The full 32GB usually gets a good workout daily, especially lately since lots of good data is rolling in off the telescope, and I get to be the first to see it!

Zygomorphic
10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
No, I only allocate 1GB of the 32GB in my G74 for the RAMdisk temp file storage. The rest I usually leave free to display data cubes, and to run Windows 7 in a VM (I give the VM 4 GB of system RAM to use). The full 32GB usually gets a good workout daily, especially lately since lots of good data is rolling in off the telescope, and I get to be the first to see it!
Sounds like fun! :) I run Windows in a VM, as well as PC-BSD (I like trying different OS'es), so having enough RAM and processing power is mandatory (4 CPUs + 6 GB RAM for PC-BSD 9.0).

@rewben, it was an example for using a really small RAM disk, primarily for things like tiny graphics that are commonly accessed (if you don't have SSDs).