PDA

View Full Version : Please help me! I'm getting audio stuttering.

jaavwm
10-16-2012, 12:45 AM
I own a G75VW and about a week ago I was getting ready to play when suddently there was some sort of glitch sound and my PC kinda lagged for one second. I thought it was just a glitch so I figured it wouldn't happen again. Now it happens every three minutes more or less and it's really annoying especially since I'm a musician and I often have to record stuff. I tried installing the latest graphics driver, latest sound driver, and latest BIOS driver. Nothing... I tried uninstalling the latest Windows updates since it started more or less the day they automatically installed. Nothing seems to work. Before contacting CS at Asus or reinstalling Windows 7, I wanted to know if any of you guys have had this issue.

I'm kinda desperate but also worried that it might be a hardware issue even if my PC hasn't left my desk since the day it arrived.

Thanks!

rewben
10-16-2012, 07:01 AM
one of the most common issues with stock windows and bloatwares are security suites not playing well with others, as explained here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24028-Hi-it-s-about-shortcut-keys&p=170080&viewfull=1#post170080). can you start by temporarily disabling/uninstall the antivirus, and see how it goes?

ggBanks
10-16-2012, 07:35 AM
I don't have the same issue, but if you say you tried re-installing every driver that may have in common with it and it still didn't work, then try re-installing windows and if that doesn't help contact your re-seller.

c_man
10-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Remove McAfee if you have it first and test.

jaavwm
10-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I did some more research and as you said it appears to be a Windows 7 issue... Even though there are lots of possible causes for this, the most convincing one has to do with audio, network and video drivers using the same IRQ's (I have no idea what I'm talking about) so I'm gonna try resintalling the network driver and see if that works. I also disabled AVG Antivirus right now and I'm gonna test by playing BF3 while listening to iTunes which is when usually things went really bad.

EDIT: disabling AVG didn't do it... I hope it's the network thing, otherwise I'm gonna have to try many solutions given by people with the same issues which require deep advanced tweaking. I'm not inclined to reinstall Windows 7 because many people have done that and even replaced hardware and said it didn't help at all.

Again thanks guys! I just installed the additional 8GB of RAM so I'm even more excited with this beast :D

dstrakele
10-19-2012, 04:54 AM
1) Does the audio stuttering occur when plugged in with the High Performance power profile selected?

2) Does your laptop have a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid HDD? If so, what firmware version is it running?

3) Have you tried troubleshooting with DPC Latency Checker?

madnj
10-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Just commenting because I've had this issue in the past. It wouldn't happen on a fresh boot, but after hours to days audio would get choppier and choppier.

Ultimately, dpc latency checker found high disk access latency, and it ended up being related to Microsoft Security Essentials running in conjunction with uTorrent. I've seen other mentions of this issue related to Microsoft Security Essentials AV, thought many people swear by it. In the end, I switched my AV and the issue has not happened again despite being consistent while running Microsoft Security Essentials.

Best thing you can do is get the DPC latency checker tool and see how it looks when playing music, and possibly fully remove the AV to see if the issue is resolved without AV protection. I am not proposing you run without AV protection, but I'd definitely look at AV as a potential cause of the issue.