PDA

View Full Version : Can the g75vw-bbk5 be set in raid 0?

Timminit
10-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Hey guys fast question for you all i just bought the g75vw-bbk5 from best buy and love it but was wondering if i could go buy 2 say 1tb hard drives and set them to raid 0. to improve proformance. does this laptop support raid functions? if so how do i do so? also if i put this memory in G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSQ to 16gb will it stay at 1600? or rather 800mhz clock speed? thanks!

bignazpwns
10-16-2012, 12:57 AM
Ye it supports Raid 0 and if you use SSD's its supports trim in raid 0

john_from_ohio
10-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Hey guys fast question for you all i just bought the g75vw-bbk5 from best buy and love it but was wondering if i could go buy 2 say 1tb hard drives and set them to raid 0. to improve proformance.

You probably want RAM at CL 11 ... RAM at CL 9 will cause mis match and downgrade timing ... it will work but far from optimal setup.

For much better performance buy an SSD and use it as the boot drive and program drive ... use 1 TB drive as secondary storage and for VMs or games/maps/video/etc.

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 03:51 AM
I would got with two SSD's, your system will be "supersonic"
Just set your "strip size" to 128K, that is the recommended value for optimal performance in stripping.

bignazpwns
10-16-2012, 04:16 AM
I would got with two SSD's, your system will be "supersonic"
Just set your "strip size" to 128K, that is the recommended value for optimal performance in stripping.

Only if he moves around huge files. Every day use be will never see a diff. running 2 raided vs a SATA III ssd. Unless he sits there and runs nothing my hdtach and what not.

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 04:56 AM
Only if he moves around huge files. Every day use be will never see a diff. running 2 raided vs a SATA III ssd. Unless he sits there and runs nothing my hdtach and what not.

Look at this review here (http://www.storagereview.com/intel_ssd_520_raid_review)
should shine some light on the performance bump
Look at the "graphs"

bignazpwns
10-16-2012, 06:03 AM
Look at this review here (http://www.storagereview.com/intel_ssd_520_raid_review)
should shine some light on the performance bump
Look at the "graphs"

Yeah gotta raid because the soul purpose of running the G75 is just for io meter and hdtach.

This has been beat to death on every major forum. You wont see a difference when you raid 2 SATA III SSd's in real world use. Only synthetic. I'm running 2 in raid and i can flat out say it don't. Im getting well over 1gb/s reads and writes but you know what? i cant feel the diffraction between using one and two unless i bench or transfer large files. And its not just me anyone whos been into high end pc's will tell you this.

Did my boot time decrease? Well yea i shaved about maybe 1 sec of it. But guess what? Dident make my system boot faster because now it has to load the raid drviers before my system boots.

But as for raiding 2 mechanical drives yes you will see a diff. If you wanna get near SSD speed in terms of reads and writes "access time will see be way higher then a ssd" you can short stroke those drives to say 250gigs each "You need to bench mark them and see at what point your drive speeds start to decline then short stroke it at that point" Basicly your takeing the 1tb drive and only going to use a part of it. The computer will treat it as the size you set up. So lets say you do 250gig. When you raid them you will have a drive with 500gigs only it will be way way way way faster then just a normal raid of them. The idea is when you drive reads and writes the head wont move at all.

The results are pretty nice. When i dabbed in it i seen burst at 2100mbs. sustained reads of 225mbs. So pretty much your bursting as high or high then some SATA III drives in raid. And your sustained is low but still at what some of the SATA II SSD's were pulling. Yeah its not as fast as just getting a SSD however its way cheaper. You can do a 500gig of this for like what $150? A 500gig SSD will run what $400?

Timminit
10-16-2012, 06:44 PM
So the big question is.... is a single ssd drive faster then 2 disks in raid 0???

john_from_ohio
10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
So the big question is.... is a single ssd drive faster then 2 disks in raid 0???

Much much faster ...

bignazpwns
10-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Depends on what you want. @ hd's short stroked murder a single SSD in burst. But a SATA III SSD will be almost 2 times faster in overall transferes dispite the lower burst. A SSD will also have a much much much lower access time.

The fair fight would be the 2 short stroked drives vs a SATA II SSD. They are about on par and would be hard to tell the diff. The drives are faster in some stuff slow in others and same with the SSD. When you toss Sata III drives in the mix the SATA III drives are all around faster but until you raid those they wont come close to some short stroked drives in bust.

SSD's are always the way to go. But if money is tight and you need space they can get pretty expensive. Short stroking is a good way to get close to the SSD preformance at a lower cost and have more room for storage. 120 gigs fills up fast. Same with 220gigs.

I always tell people to get a SSD. But if you want faster preformace and are going to RAID then picking up another $50 1tb drive might give you the preformance you want that you find fast enough. Short stroking them might be exactly what your looking for.

If you wanna mix up and want insanely fast drives then even SSD's are slow in raid compared to ramdisk. Yes you get a faster drive but you lose tons of storage space and you need to set up the software. On my G75 i been using 32gig's of ram with a 24gig ramdisk "8 gigs for the system" And the numbers it pulls against a SSD in raid is like compared the raided ssd's to a sd card is pretty sick. I store a game on it. One game world of warcraft that is 19gigs. Again this is expensive and not very practical but stomps the crap out of even the fastest SSD's in raid.

Every day use- 7200 rpm drive

Light gamer not power hungry- 2 X 7200 rpm drives in RAID 0

Gamer - 2 7200 rpm drives in RAID0 short stroked or a SATA II SSD

Heavy gamer who plays loading intensive games. SATA III SSD

Professional who moves and or manipulates very large files- 2 SATA III SSD's In RAID0

Also keep in mind RAID0 is fast but its very easy to lose all your data. Bios updates and mess up your array and some times enough to not be able to fix it. And if one drive fails good luck recovering data. Its fast but always remember the computer gods givth and they will taketh.

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 11:03 PM

Great for large file transfer, it's very fast there with two SSD in RAID0
not so great in the 4K area, just a little bit faster.
would be great for Video convertion, or video editing would prosess that much faster.

Timminit
10-17-2012, 12:53 AM
awesome thank you very much! very helpful. cant wait to try this ssd out.