PDA

View Full Version : Laptop turned into a tortoise

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Hello everyone, after installing 2 updates from windows update my laptop turned into a tortoise( They were installed after I clicked shutdown) . This morning I turned my laptop on only to find out that the boot time/getting into windows took alot longer then normal. I have got the asus g75vw-t1086v model with SSD. I then used an image to restore my laptop up to a point before the problems occured. That did not fix the slow boot/getting into windows. Even after getting into windows everything remains slow, network not working, stuff that is trying to load is goimg very slow.

I already called Asus and thinking about sending it to them via RMA.

finalhour
10-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Can you tell us the updates? should be under "installed updates" and have a code starting with 'kb' followed by some numbers. Alternatively try running CCleaner (available free at Filehippo.com) Be sure to install the free version not the pro trial. Run the cleaner (DON'T Check any of the boxes that are grayed out/not already checked and make sure you exit your internet browser when running) and then run the registry check/cleaning function on it (second menu down). When it asks if you want to save a backup say yes (you only need to do this once) and save it to your desktop, the backup file will contain your registry before it deletes the obsolete entries. Often having upwards of 300-500 junk entries in your registry can cause longer startups, this helps remedy that situation. Alternatively, if this doesn't work, check to see how many programs you have opening on startup, like Skype, etc, often those can also slow starting up. Lastly, remember that startup after windows updates does take longer as it has to configure the updates (unless you run your OS off of an SSD like I and many others do on here), you may find that a simple restart clears this issue. Let me know if this works/doesn't work. I worked for 4 years in my college's IT office as supervisor and CCleaner is safe and an amazing weapon to use against junk slowing your computer down!

finalhour
10-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Also perhaps try before all the steps i mentioned, opening cmd and running sfc /SCANNOW

This checks to see if there are any corrupt files in your windows install. If there are system restore might not be effective in solving any issue

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Hello everyone, after installing 2 updates from windows update my laptop turned into a tortoise( They were installed after I clicked shutdown) . This morning I turned my laptop on only to find out that the boot time/getting into windows took alot longer then normal. I have got the asus g75vw-t1086v model with SSD. I then used an image to restore my laptop up to a point before the problems occured. That did not fix the slow boot/getting into windows. Even after getting into windows everything remains slow, network not working, stuff that is trying to load is goimg very slow.

I already called Asus and thinking about sending it to them via RMA.

First thing don't panic!
It is "normal" to see a little bit longer boot time after windows installs new updates.
did you see @ boot up a message saying "Windows is configuring updated, please do not power off your pc"?
it takes time to configure updates, this is normal.
the same will happen when you do a "system restore" , takes time to reconfigure windows after a restore.
windows will give you a message "Windows is restoring registry, and files do not power off", this also is normal!
Have you tried a restart to see if your issue is still there?

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Yes, I still have the problem after each boot, also my network stopped working. After I used True Image to set my computer back before I had the problem. I found out that drive E and F were not showing the amount of GB's they could both hold. And loading took quite a bit when I go to My Computer. I've tried to use the Asus Recovery via F9 while you turn on the laptop. I see a blue Asus screen with white Asus text. After that nothing happens and it stays the same. Really worried :>

I never checked the updates and I have not seen those messages.

dstrakele
10-16-2012, 07:41 PM
It sounds like the main problem is your network is not working. If you have network mapped drives on your laptop, Windows 7 will attempt to establish the network connection on boot and when launching Windows Explorer (aka My Computer) until a timeout is reached. This will slow these operations down.

Tell us more about your network. Are you the Network Administrator?

When you restore an Acronis image, the partitions in that image are restored to the size they were when the image was created. It overwrites any partition information that existed prior to restoration. That may explain the difference in capacity of your E and F drives.

An F9 ASUS Factory Restore will give you choices on how you want to restore Windows to the stock partitioning.(i.e. to the 1st partition, the entire drive, or to an OS and Data partition) . Are you seeing that dialog where you can make that choice? It returns the system to an out-of-the-box state. I'm not sure that's what you want to do.

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 07:51 PM
An F9 ASUS Factory Restore will give you choices on how you want to restore the stock partitioning.(i.e. to the 1st partition, the entire drive, or to an OS and Data partition) . Are you seeing that dialog where you can make that choice? It returns the system to an out-of-the-box state. I'm not sure that's what you want to do.

It's my own network in my own appartment and this is the first time it ever happened to me. And I do have a mapped drive to my NAS but that wouldnt explain all the problems I am having now(Edit: just removed it and it's still slow on boot?

About Acronis, why does it not let me get in E and F? I told it to do a full recovery of DISK 1, the one where the OS and Data+ the hidden partition(that is also backed up) is on.

I tried F9 and got stuck at the background for the Recovery, I can't get to the choices.

Today I also tried to install clean windows, but thats getting stuck at " setup is starting"

All I wan't is a working laptop again in clean condition but it's not looking too bright atm...

I have no idea what I can do then to RMA it back to Asus to restore it to factory settings :(

AzraelsKiss
10-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Perhaps the SSD is prematurely failing?

dstrakele
10-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Post a screenshot of Disk Management. Maybe that may help us to understand your situation.

Are there any Errors or Warnings in the System or Application Event Logs that point to a troubleshooting direction?

What error do you receive when you attempt to access drives E and F? Are they on a 2nd disk?

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeh, that could be the problem but I only had this laptop for 3 months :(

I have used the Data (SSD)partition for gaming. Was that a bad idea?

Hopefully if I do RMA it won't take too long since my Desktop PC has cooling problems atm. So I kind of can't miss my laptop for too long :S

Edit: I'll try to get a screenshot, sec... (Failed on that, my USB stick and via my network is not working)... It just hangs when it's trying to connect to the VDS :S

Really getting out of options here...

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Have you tried the sfc /scannow in cmd?
run system file checker to check for any problems there with your windows install.

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 09:26 PM
I've just tried that and it hangs like any other thing I already tried :(

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 09:48 PM
how is your laptop setup?
did it come with the SSD, or did you added one?
if added SSD, what one?
you have OS, and games on SSD?
you using HDD as a "Data" drive for music, videos, and pictures?

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 09:55 PM
It's this version and I have not changed any of the hardware.

Link: http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/154941/asus-g75vw-t1086v

And yes, on my SSD is OS for windows and using DATA(2nd partition on SSD) for games. Using the other 1TB for music and the likes.

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 10:34 PM
It's this version and I have not changed any of the hardware.

Link: http://http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/154941/asus-g75vw-t1086v (http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/154941/asus-g75vw-t1086v)

And yes, on my SSD is OS for windows and using DATA(2nd partition on SSD) for games. Using the other 1TB for music and the likes.

Okay, I can see you have a 256-GB SSD, and a 1TB 5400rpm HDD.
or does it have a the 750-GB Hybrid Drive?
have you updated to the new IRST driver?

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 10:40 PM
It has the 256 GB SSD and 1TB HDD and I have not updated the driver. But that shouldnt be a problem. I rather get this laptop back to factory settings, but I can't because it hangs while it's trying to load the Asus Recovery via F9 ;s And I have not made Backup CD's via AI Recovery. I tried to load it but it won't ;s

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Have you tried the windows "system restore" ?
try to a point before you had this problem.
you said you tried Acronis, but didn't work.
BTW, what antivirus you have installed?

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
I can't get "Sytem Restore" to work either, nothing works ;s My laptop is dieing...

And I am using comodo internet security pro 2012. I fully disabled every component because at 1st I thought it had something to do with that. But problems remained.

john_from_ohio
10-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I can't get "Sytem Restore" to work either, nothing works ;s My laptop is dieing...

Try pulling out both the SSD and the 1 TB drive and then try to use your recovery DVDs to do a full system restore onto a different hard drive.

I hope you burned your recovery DVD's? I also hope that you updated to the latest version of the asus recovery utility before burning them!

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I am not going to pull out my hard drives, thats not my way of doing things. I am too scared of breaking something(Might not be too hard and I don't have a spare drive.). The recovery CD's I have never made, *bonk to the head*... Very stupid, I know... And atm, my laptop does not let me run, let alone, uinstall the old version and install the latest...

I'd wish you could download the recovery CD's for stupid people like me :<

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 11:14 PM

And I am using comodo internet security pro 2012. I fully disabled every component because at 1st I thought it had something to do with that. But problems remained.

Okay, did you "lock down" the HDD in bios before trying a F9 recovery?
will take a long time searching "both drives" for the recovery partition if you don't.
that is the procedure for recovery to lock down the HDD.

to bad you didn't burn the AI Recovery Disks.

dstrakele
10-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Can you see both the SSD and HDD in Disk Management? If only the HDD is displayed, that might explain why your laptop is tortoise-like and drives E and F cannot be accessed.

Again, a screenshot from Disk Management would help us better understand your problem.

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Like I've said in one of my earlier posts. When I get to the part where you can see your harddrives it won't get there. It will just try to keep connecting with VDS or something, it's not getting to the part where you can see your hard drives ;/ I even tried running it as Administrator, no luck either...

I am trying to give as much information as possible, it's just that my laptop keeps saying NO to everything I try ;/

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Try this procedure to recover your laptop click here (http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G75VW&s=388&hashedid=gkyI9iViQxXxueTd&os=&no=1775)

Greavol28
10-16-2012, 11:49 PM
I've tried Method 1 already, but I am always getting stuck/hang and it won't go to the choices. Method 2 is out of the question.

I'm bringing this laptop back to Asus for RMA.

Thanks alot for the help everyone.

Unless someone knows how to solve it ;s

GottiBoi55
10-16-2012, 11:55 PM
I've tried Method 1 already, but I am always getting stuck/hang and it won't go to the choices. Method 2 is out of the question.

I'm bringing this laptop back to Asus for RMA.

Thanks alot for the help everyone.

Unless someone knows how to solve it ;s

Okay good luck

dstrakele
10-17-2012, 12:22 AM
It will just try to keep connecting with VDS or something, it's not getting to the part where you can see your hard drives ;/ I even tried running it as Administrator, no luck either...

Isee... If you're up to trying one more thing, launch Services and confirm the Microsoft Virtual Disk Service is Started and configured for Automatic Startup.

It's also possible you may have a bad burn of the Windows. .ISO file to DVD (or a problem with your ODD reading discs), since the Windows Installation DVD also failed.

Clintlgm
10-17-2012, 04:00 AM
Well this thread has convinced me that I need to make those recover disk. I'm doing that tomorrow for sure.

rewben
10-17-2012, 04:14 AM
considering rma is a long process, here are something you can do before the journey to a rma (i hope you can use your desktop for these):

1. can you boot it into safe mode? if you haven't, try go with this route and do what @dstrakele suggested.

2. a linux LiveCD session or to would be nice if you can confirm that it runs smoothly.

3. the last more 'destructive' move is you can try a fresh windows install using usb. the steps are as simple as: get the windows iso (http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso), create an usb install bootdisk (http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe), and boot with that usb stick (press the esc key when ROG logo shows up during boot, and select the usb stick to contnue).

edit: actually, i think you should do what john suggested first, before you did the acronis restore. i'm not sure if your version of acronis ti can create a working copy of restore image (normally it works for MBR disks, but not GPT disks). i might be wrong in this statement.

finalhour
10-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Would ASUS even fix this in an RMA? It's not their fault...it sounds like something happened with windows/something he might have done inadvertently and then his response made it worse....would they actually be obligated to fix it?

rewben
10-17-2012, 04:56 AM
normally one should try contact the shop or local asus service centers first for this task. they can help by restoring everything to factory state.

(i think this will happen when the laptop reaches the technician during rma anyway; because there is nothing to be fixed except the malfunctioning windows)