PDA

View Full Version : Performance settings via bios or other

mrhobbeys
10-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Is anything coming down the pipes to add some more functionality to the bios settings? The options seem rather sparse especially for a gaming laptop. My computers ASUS motherboard is not for gaming and I have tons of overclocking options and adjustments.

Do any external tools exist to take care of this?

bignazpwns
10-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Yes there are modded bios for the G75 i'm running one flashing it voids the warranty since it is a modded unofficial bios so i'm not posting links or anything like that.

Intel extreme tuning utility will let you change some bios features. Just keep in mind clearing your bios on the laptop is hard to do so if you screw up you its a long process to get back up and running. Also if you plan on overclocking via blck then know the upper limits of ivybridge's blck as well as the G75's mobo limits around 105mhz Also remember your TDP's and what not.

mrwolf
10-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Yea Intel extreme tuning utility works well. Just be careful when using it because there is a known issue with the fail safe and if your notebook crashes or BSOD or anything while you are OC'd it makes changes to your bios and doesnt allow you to underclock back to stock level.

Although i do use it time to time to get some extra horsepower :)

c_man
10-17-2012, 08:52 AM
My advice, keep the CPU/RAM stock.

Woots
10-17-2012, 06:24 PM

I am of the mindset of this too. Only on laptops though.

If you wanna go full scale OC .. get into building full PC's so you can properly invest in real cooling solutions .. either higher end air cooling or water blocks. Invest in high end power supply with rock solid stable voltages. This will allow you get to more fun out of the hobby of OC'ing and even keep things cool and stable enough to run longer life spans in an overclocked state.

Tinkering on smaller systems, even ones that are as well cooled as this G75 is just asking for shorter life span trouble. If money is no question and you buy laptops every 6-12 months then ignore this I would just have a good time with it too. My guess is though if you didnt't drop 3-4,000+ on a laptop that isnt true though.

bignazpwns
10-17-2012, 09:46 PM

Yeah i mean the most you will get out of the cpu is a blck of 108mhz and for a overclock thats nothing. If you do screw up you gotta pull the system battery what involves removing the kb and palmrest of the system. Its not fun.

I only use the IET to adust my ram. "Ie tweek timings and change the multi to get ddr1333 to run at 1600. I will say the stock ram used does not like its timings tightened at all

mrwolf
10-17-2012, 09:51 PM
@bignazpwns: any advice on how i can use IETU to tweak my ram and get the most out of it ?? Ive never oc'd my ram before so i duno whats what lol. The ram i have currently installed is 1600mhz cl11 16gb. Any way i can get it to 1600mhz with cl9 or something ??

bignazpwns
10-17-2012, 10:01 PM
@bignazpwns: any advice on how i can use IETU to tweak my ram and get the most out of it ?? Ive never oc'd my ram before so i duno whats what lol. The ram i have currently installed is 1600mhz cl11 16gb. Any way i can get it to 1600mhz with cl9 or something ??

All depends on your ram. My HyperX runs 1600 at CL7 fine and passes memtest with ease.

When you start going into tweeking the timings you need to get a rough idea of what some people were able to pull with their sticks or be ready to disassemble your pc to clear the settings to get it to reboot. Its not fun and i did a small switch wired to the hdd bays to clear the settings so i don't have to do this. I dont rec amend changing the timings unless you know what your doing and your warranty doe not matter to you.

malyousef
03-13-2013, 07:37 PM
hi

can you plz upload your modded bios for asus g75vx.

what tools to use to modify/unlock the bios?

any ideas?

thanks

Pitcher@asus
03-14-2013, 03:26 AM
why do you need UC? i suggest you do not do it.