PDA

View Full Version : Re-pasting of CPU and GPU

ggBanks
10-17-2012, 07:56 PM
OK, here it goes! Yesterday I bought CS:GO, and my G55 pretty much handles the game at maximum details. The one problem is that Open Hardware Monitor showed CPU temperature of 89 degrees (with cooler ON). My idle CPU temp is around 45-50 degrees. Now I am getting a bit concerned. I know that this is an Ivy Bridge processor, but my old first gen i5 on my old laptop was not exceeding 75 degrees. I was wondering is there anyone that has already re-pasted their CPU and GPU that can share some light on how it handles afterwards compared to before. Thanx!

bignazpwns
10-17-2012, 09:42 PM
OK, here it goes! Yesterday I bought CS:GO, and my G55 pretty much handles the game at maximum details. The one problem is that Open Hardware Monitor showed CPU temperature of 89 degrees (with cooler ON). My idle CPU temp is around 45-50 degrees. Now I am getting a bit concerned. I know that this is an Ivy Bridge processor, but my old first gen i5 on my old laptop was not exceeding 75 degrees. I was wondering is there anyone that has already re-pasted their CPU and GPU that can share some light on how it handles afterwards compared to before. Thanx!

Yeah your running hot. I did a repaste with good old AS5 and my cpu "i 7 3960" with ht and the multi locked on turbo never goes over 62c. GPU never goes over 72c running 1350 on the core.

Keep in mind ivybridge runs hotter then sandy due to the fact its 22nm and the die does not have the surfrace area to dump heat really well. From what i seen clock for clock i7 3770 vs i7 2700 the 3770 ran about 10c hotter.

Repaste with void your warranty. Call up Asus and see if you cvan talk them into a repase "They prob wont do it."

wannagofast
10-17-2012, 10:00 PM
I re-pasted the CPU only and it helped lower my temps by a few degrees. Before highs would be 73-75 now it's 70-72. Idle was 38-42 before now it's 35-40. So not a huge difference but I also was never hitting the 80s like you. I also re-pasted a Asus NX90 both CPU and GPU last year and yielded about the same results 3-5 degree drop. Used Arctic Silver 5 applying paste doing the spread method.

ggBanks
10-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Yeah your running hot. I did a repaste with good old AS5 and my cpu "i 7 3960" with ht and the multi locked on turbo never goes over 62c. GPU never goes over 72c running 1350 on the core.

Keep in mind ivybridge runs hotter then sandy due to the fact its 22nm and the die does not have the surfrace area to dump heat really well. From what i seen clock for clock i7 3770 vs i7 2700 the 3770 ran about 10c hotter.

Repaste with void your warranty. Call up Asus and see if you cvan talk them into a repase "They prob wont do it."

What kind of laptop do you have with the 3960 core i7 :confused:
I thought the max for G55 is 3610 and for the G75 is 3720.

I have a lot of experience on tearing down laptops and re-pasting but I still wanted to see what are your experiences. I do not fear voiding my warranty :)

bignazpwns
10-18-2012, 02:20 PM
What kind of laptop do you have with the 3960 core i7 :confused:
I thought the max for G55 is 3610 and for the G75 is 3720.

I have a lot of experience on tearing down laptops and re-pasting but I still wanted to see what are your experiences. I do not fear voiding my warranty :)

Typo it was late. Meant 3610. I was on my desktop and and crossed the names of the two lol.

To repase your looking at around 50 screws. Did help the temps the stock job was pretty poor and the stock paste sucked like all cheap OEM paste use.

c_man
10-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Again zillion of Asus screws :D

ggBanks
10-18-2012, 02:43 PM
OK I made up my mind and I am definitely re-pasting, but there are two more things I would like to clarify:

1. Arctic Silver 5 or something else. I know from lots of reading that price to quality ratio for this thing is very good, but I was wondering if there is something else on the table here?

2. In another thread I saw a G75 cooling mod where the guy punched holes in his chassis right under the fans so the fans can suck more air in, for better cooling. He said temps dropped with around 10 degrees. I was wondering will that help in my case G55 (I pretty much think it might, but still), and what about dust and particles, since G75 has internal meshes that are designed just for that, but my G55 doesn't have them. Should I go for it, and should I do something I don't know what will happen then with the dust issue and stuff... :(

3. Oh and one more thing. Will I need only thermal paste or thermal pads as well, since alot of laptops use them too?

bignazpwns
10-18-2012, 10:36 PM
OK I made up my mind and I am definitely re-pasting, but there are two more things I would like to clarify:

1. Arctic Silver 5 or something else. I know from lots of reading that price to quality ratio for this thing is very good, but I was wondering if there is something else on the table here?

2. In another thread I saw a G75 cooling mod where the guy punched holes in his chassis right under the fans so the fans can suck more air in, for better cooling. He said temps dropped with around 10 degrees. I was wondering will that help in my case G55 (I pretty much think it might, but still), and what about dust and particles, since G75 has internal meshes that are designed just for that, but my G55 doesn't have them. Should I go for it, and should I do something I don't know what will happen then with the dust issue and stuff... :(

3. Oh and one more thing. Will I need only thermal paste or thermal pads as well, since alot of laptops use them too?

1, I use AS5 but fanboys will tell you ICD is better. I used them both in benching and there pretty close set up right they were about whiten 1-2c of each other. I use AS5 because i got about 10 tubes of it here. Remember AS5 is conductive so you need to be careful when using it. Also stain the heatsink bases before you apply. Put some on and then rub it in. This fills any small gabs with the AS5 so you get the best contact. Most people dont stain but its how you use it.

2, All upto you. My system has no issues with getting air. I would only drill holes if the fan was right against the case. It has a gap and the fans don't put out enough air to need intake holes in my opinion. Also remember when people post temp's 9 times out of 10 they are not correct since many things can change the temps. And those fan filters are useless. They will be large things like hairs from getting in but they dont stop any dust at all. I removed mine i run it filterless.

3, Just go with paste. Thermal pads on the gpu's memory are fine and you dont need to change them. However i did upgrade the pad on my chipset but i only did that because i had a spare pad here.

Keep in mind if you use AS5 you gotta heat it up and let it coo a few times before the temps drop all the way. And also dapending on how you apply you can add to your temps if you use to much, to little or you do not seat your heatsinks properly.

ggBanks
10-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Thanx for your reply!

Since I am kind of a freak in terms of dust and I don't like it at all, when I disassemble a laptop to repaste or clean it, I dismount the heat sink from the MB and fans and stuff and wash it directly under water so it is freakishly clean. So, maybe I will buy thermal pads as well, to replace them. But can you tell me how thick should they be for the chipset and for the GPU memory set, and how many I need?

Woots
10-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Here are some thermal paste round up comparison reviews of all the top compounds.

from last couple years and different sites

2012 roundup
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-January-2012/1468/5

2011 roundup
http://skinneelabs.com/2011-thermal-paste-review-comparison/

2009 round up (80 thermals compared)
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=13

rewben
10-19-2012, 08:57 AM
@Woots, nice reads; thanks a lot!

ggBanks
10-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanx from me too :) For thermal compound I think I will go for the AS Ceramique since it is non conductive, cheaper and the effect is the same as AS5, but for the thermal pads I still need an answer :D

bignazpwns
10-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanx from me too :) For thermal compound I think I will go for the AS Ceramique since it is non conductive, cheaper and the effect is the same as AS5, but for the thermal pads I still need an answer :D

You don't need to change the thermal pads. You gain nothing by changing them.

ggBanks
10-20-2012, 09:57 AM
But I have done a lot of disassembly on other laptops and noticed that the thermal pads are like a vacuum cleaner for dust and it sticks to them. Doesn't that reduce performance in terms of thermal conductivity of the pads? (The most intuitive answer for me is that it does,but... idk :confused:)

Or did you mean that the GPU memory does not require pads since it doesn't heat a lot? (But then why would they put pads in the first place?)

I am pretty much sure I know all the answers, but I am asking to double check, since my laptop is only 3 month old and to be quite frank I am a bit nervous about all that hassle, not that I can't pull it off though :D

bignazpwns
10-20-2012, 11:20 AM
But I have done a lot of disassembly on other laptops and noticed that the thermal pads are like a vacuum cleaner for dust and it sticks to them. Doesn't that reduce performance in terms of thermal conductivity of the pads? (The most intuitive answer for me is that it does,but... idk :confused:)

Or did you mean that the GPU memory does not require pads since it doesn't heat a lot? (But then why would they put pads in the first place?)

I am pretty much sure I know all the answers, but I am asking to double check, since my laptop is only 3 month old and to be quite frank I am a bit nervous about all that hassle, not that I can't pull it off though :D

Thermal pads suck as they are. And you dont need to worrie about dust because dust will never affect them as it cant get between the surface and the pad just the sides.

ggBanks
10-20-2012, 01:55 PM
No, I meant when I remove the heat sink to clean it, dust gets on the thermal pads and I can't clean them because the pads are like a duct tape and when dirt sticks on them, it cannot be removed. I will get the Ceramique and a 1.5 mil. thick pads just to play it by the rules. Other than that I have nothing to say but thank you all for your replies! I will post results when everything is done :)