PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Power Surge

Daskar
10-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Hello. I am a first time poster here. I own an Asus G72GX laptop with an nvidia gtx 260M graphics card. I have had troubles with the screen flickering that I looked up very specifically online. People mentioned that when you pop the caps off the hinges [that connect the monitor to the cpu] that you will expose the connectors for the monitor and when you push these in that the flickering will stop. It seemed to work for a while. One person even mentioned pulling these connectors out with pliers and putting them back in. I did that last night. There were tremendous consequences though. I must have touched something that I shouldn't have with the metal part of the pliers despite the computer being off. There was a flash/spark while trying to correct the connector on the right side. The computer powered up despite being closed. When I pulled it open there was the message at the bottom "Press F2 to run Setup, Press TAB to display BIOS POST Message" and the little Intel symbol at the bottom of the screen, but it didn't power up beyond that. I let it sit there for 15 to 20 minutes with nothing happening and then it makes 3 booming noises from the speaker and the RoG symbol finally flashed on the screen as well as the windows logo and it powered up and worked properly (almost). Then it finally powers up and seems to run normally... with the exception of the USB ports not functioning properly. I read on a different posting on the internet that when a power surge happens the USB ports can be messed up and need to release their charge in order to reconfigure themselves. I suspect that something like that may have happened here. Power is getting to the cooling pad and to the mouse, but after about 10 minutes of use on that first power up, the mouse stopped working and I am getting messages that the computer does not recognize the USB devices (and I think it is talking about the ports themselves, not the peripheries that are connected). So since the laptop always powers down before completely losing all of the juice in the battery I have no way of getting rid all the charge flowing to the USB ports and resetting them like I could on a desktop. And I still have the troubling matter of the laptop taking literally 15-20 minutes to startup windows and making those scary booming noises.

Please Help.
And thank you in advance.

kkn
10-17-2012, 08:53 PM
post in the laptop/notebook section, you will get the help you need there ( unless one of the mods move this tread )

Daskar
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just reposted.

xeromist
10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 as they say but always remove the battery when working inside of your machine and discharge any static to a grounded object.

As to your current situation, it's possible that there may be permanent damage to the board so keep that in mind. However if you want to completely discharge it then you would need to remove all power and then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard (some disassembly required).