PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Problems with Windows 7 on VirtualBox

dandahur
10-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi,

I have the G75VW series NB with Linux (Ubuntu 12.04). I installed Windows 7 in the VirtualBox but I had had some issues with Windows recognizing the hardware. I does not recognize the Video card nor the Wifi (only cable connection). Because of this I cannot work with it unwired nor I can adjust the resolution in Windows, since only appears as Standard VGA monitor and it cannot find the wireless device.

Could you please give some assistance on this? I have tried downloading drivers, reinstalling windows, etc but nothing seems to work. The VB version I have is 4.20

Regards

rewben
10-19-2012, 02:57 PM
ah sorry i don't know much about virtualbox.

Sinless
10-19-2012, 03:35 PM
As far i know, only the host can access to the wifi, then, the connection is shared to the guest via virtual network. If you have a usb wireless adapter, then the guest can access it directly.

Also, i don't know if this will work, but try to install the nvidia drivers on your Virtual Box Windows 7.

Redneck_Randy
10-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Could be you need to install the ATK from your Asus disk that came with the laptop.

rewben
10-19-2012, 05:08 PM
normally a vm cannot get the full features of the underlying hardware. they depend on another set of drivers (built-in or additional) from virtualization software vendors. although many are moving towards taking advantages of available hardware, including GPU, i'm not sure if native drivers can be installed directly in the vm.

john_from_ohio
10-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I have the G75VW series NB with Linux (Ubuntu 12.04). I installed Windows 7 in the VirtualBox but I had had some issues with Windows recognizing the hardware.

My G75VW works much better in the reverse configuration ... use Win 7 for bootup OS and then run linux systems in virtual box ...

Parallels software has a pretty established reputation providing somewhat more vm guest access to devices so it might be worth checking out what might work in the parallels workstation area. It might be somewhat picky about exactly what host operating systems it supports ( obviously some red hat and ubuntu versions but 12 dunno ) ...

zeitgeist
10-21-2012, 01:58 AM
As far i know, only the host can access to the wifi, then, the connection is shared to the guest via virtual network. If you have a usb wireless adapter, then the guest can access it directly.

True. Unfortunately neither VirtualBox nor VMWare seem to support USB 3 correctly. In VMWare, I can't get my Alfa adaptor to connect to the VM alone because of a lack of Intel USB support. :(

I've read about on the issue on quite a few forums... :( It would be nice to have my adaptor only be accessible to the VM but current software limitations prevent that.

MicioMax
10-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi,

I have the G75VW series NB with Linux (Ubuntu 12.04). I installed Windows 7 in the VirtualBox but I had had some issues with Windows recognizing the hardware. I does not recognize the Video card nor the Wifi (only cable connection). Because of this I cannot work with it unwired nor I can adjust the resolution in Windows, since only appears as Standard VGA monitor and it cannot find the wireless device.

Could you please give some assistance on this? I have tried downloading drivers, reinstalling windows, etc but nothing seems to work. The VB version I have is 4.20

Regards

Hi... I've exactly your setup, ubuntu 12.04 as main os and windows 7 installed in virtualbox.... I normally use wired connection, but I just tested with wireless and it works; same for scree resolution.

Did you install / update virtualbox extensions ? for the display is a must, otherwise you'll get just vga.
About the wireless, just check if in virtualbox devices/network card the wlanxxx is selected, not the eth one.
I use it as bridged interface and it works perfectly.

Ciao

Max

p.s. : if you don't want to switch between eth/wlan, you can also add a new virtual network card and keep both... not tested, as I mostly use wired, but it should work.

dandahur
10-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. I'll try installing the VB extensions and see if it works.

Regards