PDA

View Full Version : G75VW USB ports

Johann
10-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Hello there! I've had this laptop for a good two months now, but a few weeks ago, all but one of my USB ports inexplicably "broke." As it was when I first got the laptop, all ports worked just like on any other computer: You plug something in, the device works either booting up and receiving power (such as an MP3 player that charges when plugged in) or just runs period. One night while playing Arma 2's DayZ, my mouse refused to respond. Terrifying, especially when running from zombies. So now I'm down to only one USB port, the one with Charge+, which currently I'm wasting use of just to have a mouse. I can't plug in my cooling pad or anything else without giving up the mouse.

Now, if I plug something in with its own power source, such as an MP3 player, it will work fine as far as being connected to the computer, but will not charge. I can transfer files with anything that has its own power source. I can not use memory sticks or anything else. When I try to plug in the cooling pad, the keyboard's backlighting will dim, and the fans will spin at a very, very, veeery low speed. If I try to plug the mouse in, the lights will come on, but as soon as I move the mouse, the lights will turn off and there will be the sound of hardware being removed.

In the case of the mouse, I looked into the device manager and found that when I move the mouse while it's plugged into any of the "broken" USB ports, the HID-compliant consumer control device, HID-compliant device, and possibly Toshiba Hotkey Driver Collection all get the yellow triangle and they all say there is no driver installed (when I know full well there is). It's really annoying and I find it such a hindrance to be robbed of 3/4 of my USB ports with no fix in sight. Does anyone have any ideas?

finalhour
10-19-2012, 09:53 PM
do a search on these forums, this thread might be of value http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19595-No-USB-ports-are-working&highlight=ports

It could be many things. I had trouble with USB ports because my core OS files became corrupt. A quick scan by going into the cmd window and typing sfc /SCANNOW will check for anything OS-related. otherwise try reinstalling drivers and reading through one or more of the many threads where problems at least somewhat similar to yours have been solved.

dstrakele
10-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Booting into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution could help determine if the problem is hardware or software.

Clintlgm
10-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Have you updated the Chipset drivers to the latest?, USB 3.0 Driver, Also after installing the latest, try uninstalling the AI USB Charger + reboot and reinstall. This has solved problems for several of us. The AI USB Charger + seems to be able to cause power problems to all the USB ports? Intel chip set drivers and Intel USB 3.0 drivers can be found on the Intel site. there are some links somewhere in the threads, the latest AI USB Charger + driver is on the Asus site

kuudou
10-20-2012, 07:03 PM
When I plug in something to a USB port my Blu-ray drive makes the loading disk sound for some reason. And this is only with storage devices like my phone or external HDD, not the mouse or external keyboard.

The port still works, so no problems per se. But it's just...weird.

AzraelsKiss
10-20-2012, 07:45 PM
When I plug in something to a USB port my Blu-ray drive makes the loading disk sound for some reason. And this is only with storage devices like my phone or external HDD, not the mouse or external keyboard.

The port still works, so no problems per se. But it's just...weird.
Windows could be looking for drivers, so it's checking the drive for a driver disc. Either that, or maybe your system is possessed... :P

kuudou
10-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Either that, or maybe your system is possessed... :P

I like this explanation. That just makes my laptop so much cooler.

Johann
10-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I've done searches on these forums. I've downloaded all of the latest software and used the techniques everyone has said to use. I've even done a factory reset (against my will) of the laptop and still nothing. I am honestly out of ideas.

dstrakele
10-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Does this issue occur while on battery power (eliminates poor grounding of the power source as a possible cause).

If not, you did your best to avoid a needless RMA and isolated the problem to hardware. At least you know why you're sending it in for repair...