PDA

View Full Version : re clean install, bloatware, language and partitions.

kaelrysh
10-22-2012, 04:12 AM
hi, there, whilst this may be my first time posting here on the forums, i have been reading them for the best part of the last year [since i got my g73sw] and want to say a big thanks to all of you for the help that i have gotten from your posts. but now i have a question re a clean install.

as i happen to be living in japan and thus purchased a japanese g73 that means that it has come with japanese win 7 [i am not japanese, so its been fun? struggling with the kanji. which is okay for simple use but when it comes to the more technical things my japanese just doesnt cut it. also lots of software defaults to the OS language.

i assume that as we no longer get a windows dvd with our laptops, just a restore partition, that if i restore through the recovery discs [i havent tried it yet] i would just get japanese windows again. but i noticed on here there are people talking about downloading the windows 7 iso and then using the laptop serial number to get a clean [bloatware free] version of windows [in english]. i assume this iso would work with the serial number on my g73 also?

and does reinstalling windows through this iso allow me to change the partition sizes on the hdds? or is that something that needs doing separately? [currently i have a 186gb c, and 3 250ish gb d,e,andf drives [2x500gb hdds]]
i am a bit sick of having my c filled with programs etc. [ie steam files] and would like a bigger partition. or maybe i`ll put steam on another drive [or will that slow things down?].
or is it possible to put my documents [etc] folders on another drive during installation?

i tried using paragon partition manager without reinstalling, but it only allows me to change the sizes of two partitions next to eachother, and i thought c and d only to discover it was c and a tiny [hidden] 25gb drive i had never heard of or seen. does anyone know what this is? and do i need it? this meant i couldnt resize c.

okay last question [yes there are many - sorry] but which of asus` preinstalled soft(bloat)ware is actually worth reinstalling? power for gear seems quite useful perhaps, but i dont know what else there is [especially as its all in japanese].

okay i think that is enough to burden the community with.
thanks for any help.

kael.

IxPanda
10-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Here's where I got my bloatware -free version (http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/)

Now the only thing I'm not sure of (I'm sure someone else can clarify) is if there's going to be an issue because it's a Japanese based G-series if that's going to conflict with reinstalling how I did here in Canada. Make sure you have the product key from the bottom of your laptop and take the appropriate iso from that website (presumably home premium x64, but double check, of course.) and make it bootable via CD or USB here: (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool) boot from your media and format from the disk, reinstall with your valid key on the bottom and you should be good to go, fresh!

kaelrysh
10-25-2012, 12:59 PM
great thanks for the heads up and links on that.

do you know if that will enable me to repartition, or how does one go about doing that with win 7?

and is any of the bloatware/ [downloadable] asus software actually needed or useful?

and does anyone know what size [thickness] hdd fits in the g73? i know its a 2.5inch, but i hear people talking about 7mm or 9mm or different thickness hdds. or doesnt it matter in the enclosures? would love to [dream] get a bigger hdd and a ssd to put into it.

kael

TenBlade
10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
You may be able to change from Japanese to English language using Vistalizator, I successfully changed from Danish to English with this.
http://www.froggie.sk/download.html

kaelrysh
10-30-2012, 07:31 AM
visualator looks interesting but having read around it seems like it breaks the windows validation and makes windows non-genuine. sounds like more hassle than reinstalling in the end. but thanks anyway, it looks like it could be a good bit of software bar that.
or maybe i just go and get the win 8 upgrade... [though that probably will be in japanese here too]. lol.

thanks anyway.

kael