PDA

View Full Version : G74S (with TV plugged into HDMI) controlling device applications output audio to

bmasseur
10-22-2012, 05:54 AM
In the picture I have nVidia control panel in the upper left corner, lower left is the "volume control" if you click that option on the realtek hd right-click menu, upper right is "sound manager" from right-click menu, and lower right is "audio devices"

The nVidia control panel doesn't seem to be able to affect audio in any way and the sound manager only seems to be able to affect the quality of sound coming through devices.

I have a TV connected via HDMI port and I'm trying to figure out a way to control which applications output sound to which device. A friend of mine found a solution with a different hardware setup that got applications to play sound through whichever device the application was dragged onto; I don't have the same options as his device and could not figure out how to do this.

I can use the "audio devices" (or sound from control panel) to set one device to default which makes all sound come through that device; this is all I've been able to use to control sound thus far.

Sometimes certain programs play through the laptop when the TV is set to default; the "volume control" allows me to select different devices and tells me which device is playing which application but does not give me a way to change anything other than the volume.

The main problem is needing to separate programs like vlc and google chrome. For example playing vlc through the tv while browsing on the laptop; if I could have the sound from chrome coming through the laptop then I can plug in my headphones and not disturb (or interfere with the audioput of) what's on the TV.

Thanks for taking the time to read and help me figure this problem out. Let me know if I can explain the problem any better. I'm just trying to find a way (maybe third party software?) to tell applications that are running which device to output audio to.

bmasseur
10-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Is there anything I can do to provide more information? Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong board.

bmasseur
11-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Still trying to trouble-shoot this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

chrsplmr
11-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Welcome ... a quick fix is a headphone to tv jack ??? at a 'radio shack'... to ROG.c.

bmasseur
11-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Welcome ... a quick fix is a headphone to tv jack ??? at a 'radio shack'... to ROG.c.

I'm not sure how this would help my issue. I need to be able to choose whether vlc outputs audio through the tv or laptop, whether chrome outputs to laptop or tv and other applications at the same time. I can choose which one is default but that makes all applications use it. I need to be able to split them up.

I can only make all the sound go through the tv or all through the laptop. Without splitting the sound up a jack doesn't really help me.

cl-scott
11-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Basically there's no way to do this unless the application specifically allows choosing which audio device to use. Some do, I think if you get into the advanced settings of VLC it will let you do it, same with MPC-HC, but odds are Chrome (probably Flash specifically) will always use whatever is the default audio device with no means of controlling it.

There's always a possibility of there being some kind of sound mixer program that will sit between Windows and the driver, allowing you to trap and redirect audio signals, but odds are we'd be talking about some professional program which would be very expensive. If someone wants to prove me wrong, so much the better, but on the whole I don't think you're ever going to find what you want. You might be able to get part of the way there with some careful program selection, but that will be the most likely best case scenario.