PDA

View Full Version : HDD in optical bay problem

ggBanks
10-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi, what I did some time ago was to buy an SSD, put it in the original SATA III port and moved my HDD to the optical bay with an HDD caddy (Yes I have a G55 if you are still wondering or don't know). So the thing is that I usually watch my movies from the HDD, but recently I have noticed that from time to time I experience some frame and audio stuttering when watching a movie (it is not quite often but still). I think that could be because before I put the HDD in the optical bay the optical drive itself was using some kind of power saving mode which could be the cause of that. I have noticed that the HDD spins down after 1 or 2 minutes when there are no applications reading from it or writing to it. I have also disabled the "Turn off Hard Disks after..." in the advanced power options of my power plan, but, still the HDD spins down after some time, which should not be the case since I disabled that. This is very confusing and frustrating that my HDD has to spin up almost everytime I have to access my D:\ drive. This is also bad for the HDD itself because it has limited spin up/spin down cycles. What should I do to disable the potential optical drive power saver, and fix the stuttering?

rewben
10-22-2012, 09:54 AM
maybe someone who has the similar setup will give you a better solution. i have the same setting but having ssd instead of hdd in the hdd caddy. no apparent issue.

ggBanks
10-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Seriously guys, no one with a setup like this? :(

Chino
10-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Even though you have a HDD in the optical bay, Windows still think that there is an optical drive in there lol. I personally don't have the G55 but from personal experience as a tech, most laptops come with their own Energy Management Utility. The option you should be looking for is "Automatic Optical Drive Power Off" or something along those lines. Just disable that. :p Or If it didn't come with any utility, then the option should be under “System Settings” in the Power Options.

j0ntar
10-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Get CrystalDiskInfo and see if you can edit the AAM and APM (Acoustic Management, and Adavanced Power Management. ) settings, you should be able to disable power management completely... I think. I havent had a spinny drive in some time and never used these tools with a spinny disk.

ggBanks
10-24-2012, 07:44 AM
I tried power options and advanced power management already and there wasn't anything like that. I am using win 8 and the power 4 gear driver is still not available for it, maybe when it comes out in 3 days it can help me but I really doubt that it will have more options since it uses the windows integrated power management.

And one more thing is that since the Windows shows that HDD in the local disk drive section of windows explorer, it surely knows that this is an HDD. And the rules for HDD power management in the power options should apply to it. I just can't seem to figure this anomaly out :(

This is an image from the CrystalDiskInfo for my HDD in the Optical bay:

I am a bit concerned about the Seek Error rate. Though I don't really know what it means but I think it is about the average error encounters during reading.

j0ntar
10-24-2012, 05:43 PM
APM is enable I can see that,

Go to Function in the menu bar, then hover over Advanced Features, then AAM/APM Control.

ScreenShot:
click: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8399785/apps/aam.png
or
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8399785/apps/aam.png

ggBanks
10-25-2012, 06:50 AM
So what does this actually do? Does it prolong the timeout of the HDD? And since this program has the controls over it, the same controls must be available somewhere in windows itself right?

rewben
10-25-2012, 09:19 AM
can you try this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21319-Scratching-noise-from-my-DVD-drive.&p=146986&viewfull=1#post146986) and see how it goes?

ggBanks
10-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Thank you for the response rewben! But I guess I will have to live a little longer with it for now until I can test your suggestion, because the Win 8 drivers are still not out and the Power 4 Gear is one of the ones that doesn't really work. I really hope It will fix the problem!

rewben
10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Thank you for the response rewben! But I guess I will have to live a little longer with it for now until I can test your suggestion, because the Win 8 drivers are still not out and the Power 4 Gear is one of the ones that doesn't really work. I really hope It will fix the problem!

good luck :D

j0ntar
10-25-2012, 02:52 PM
So what does this actually do? Does it prolong the timeout of the HDD? And since this program has the controls over it, the same controls must be available somewhere in windows itself right?

This will disable power management for drives completely. Tonight I will be installing the 500GB spinny that came with laptop into the optical bay with a caddy i bought off amazon. THis will be used for virtualmachine storage and some other storage. I will let you know the steps I take to remedy power management and they should apply to you also win win8.

I wont be upgrading to windows 8 for another month or two if at all in the near future. I need stability with all software packages and drivers as this is my personal work laptop.

j0ntar
10-26-2012, 06:17 PM
I have not had a problem at all so far today mate. I disabled APM on the drive and its been smooth sailing on the 500GB drive that shipped with the laptop in the caddy.

madnj
10-26-2012, 06:45 PM
I disagree that the drive is being seen as an optical drive, it's attached to a SATA interface and picked up by the BIOS as a hard drive. No power management functions should be applying to it, but I can't say for sure if it's running SATA II or SATA III which is dependent on the SATA controller that the interface is on.

In any case, you might want to run HD Tune to take a look at the information and benchmark results it shows. It can also identify if perhaps the drive itself is having issues of some kind.

As I said, the drive itself is simply connected to a SATA interface and would be picked up as a hard drive with the same performance as a normal hard drive. If you are running a 5400 RPM drive and you are doing a high amount of IO to it, it's quite possible that the drive can get overloaded, but it should be fine.

Also for audio/video stuttering, it could be an AV client increasing DPC latency, so run DPC latency checker to check how it looks when playing back audio/video. I switched from Microsoft Security Essentials because I found I had pretty bad DPC latency spikes with that AV client. ESET NOD32 does not have such issues.

bignazpwns
10-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Run ATTO and post a screen shot.

Also do the same with good old old HDTach.

ggBanks
10-27-2012, 09:29 AM
1 - The HDD is more of an SSH drive it is a Seagate ST750LX003-1AC154
2 - It is in a HDD caddy and I substituted my ODD for it, so it is connected to a 1.5Gb/s SATA connection
3 - It runs on 7200RPM
4 - I am using Windows Media Player to play movies, simply because I hate having too much unnecessary software that slows my computer down over time
5 - I am using Windows 8 so I don't need to install Security Essentials. It is already built in!

Here are some screenshots:

My Balanced Power Plan Settings for HDD:

Speccy: Seagate ST750LX003-1AC154 drive information

ATTO Disk Manager

HD Tune

DCP Latency Checker (I was playing 1080p video while I had it running!)
*** I have encountered the stuttering to happen from time to time just for a burst of a second or two! Just to mention!

Drive Power Manager

I decided to run Drive power manager as well, just to see whats up there. I am a bit concerned about the Power Management slider though, saying that its half way to performance. And why can't I find this setting in Windows?

P.S. Here's what happened when I disabled the "Allow standby" and "Enable power management" check boxes:
Drive Power Manager (after change)

HD Tune (after change)

wantedzai
04-14-2013, 02:59 PM
I had the same problem...Did tried crystaldisk but still same problem...1 sec freeze in any game i played. Do you find any solution ggBanks?

ggBanks
04-14-2013, 03:14 PM
What happened in my case was that I swapped my HDD in my G55 with an ssd and then installed Windows 8. Then I removed my ODD and put the HDD in the ODD bay. Then the problems started, maybe because the HDD was from the previous installation of the OS. Everything was fixed when I re-installed Windows 8 freshly when both the SSD and the HDD were in the computer and formatted them during the installation. Then the freezing stopped. I hope you fix your problem, good luck.

wantedzai
04-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks mate. Btw what ssd did u buy? Might as well get one...gettin sick of the freeze

ggBanks
04-15-2013, 01:51 PM
SanDisk Extreme SATA3. it's cheaper than Samsung 840 and the Intel 520 and delivers the and performance.

wantedzai
04-15-2013, 02:42 PM
That's about RM300-400 price range in malaysia for the 60gb. Question...do you play games from ssd or hdd? and the comparison between both...well on ssd im guessing no freeze + loading speed. But does it still freeze if you run games from hdd?

rewben
04-16-2013, 02:20 AM
That's about RM300-400 price range in malaysia for the 60gb. Question...do you play games from ssd or hdd? and the comparison between both...well on ssd im guessing no freeze + loading speed. But does it still freeze if you run games from hdd?

uh? no; a plextor m5s is MYR299 for 128gb (and it should be good enough for common usage).

i have my games on ssd. game loading is fast; never experienced any freeze. i'm not sure about the impact of the hdd on game plays sorry.

ggBanks
04-16-2013, 05:58 AM
I am playing Crysis 3, Dialbo 3 and Tomb Raider from my HDD which is in the optical bay, and I have no stuttering whatsoever. On the other hand I have StarCraft 2, Dead Space 3 and my Steam with CS:GO on the SSD and its quite fast in the loading. No stutters there as well obviously.

wantedzai
04-18-2013, 04:07 PM
I just want to play my games without freeze...which do u think is better? getting ssd or extra hdd?

ggBanks
04-18-2013, 04:45 PM
I would recommend an SSD and put it in the SATA3 bay of the laptop, and then put your HDD in the ODD bay with a caddy, like me. I use the SSD for Windows, programs and my most important games. And then put my downloaded movies, music and other stuff on the HDD. With the SSD and Windows 8 from pushing the power button on cold boot to the lock screen of Windows 8 I get 9-10 seconds. Games from the SSD start pretty fast too.

wantedzai
04-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks man. Will get my SSD very soon xD