PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing SSD

thbirdman
10-24-2012, 02:20 AM
Hello everyone. I just recently purchased and received a G55VW-ES71 along with a Kingston HyperX 3K 240gb SSD.

My intention was to do a fresh installation on the SSD immediately. When attempting to do this, my windows 7 installer stated 'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.' I hit next anyways because it was available and Windows seemed fine with installing to the SSD. Upon rebooting, my computer gave an error about not having a bootable drive. I went into the boot menu and the SSD was not in the list of items. It said nothing was attached to Sata port 1. I brought back up windows installer and deleted all partitions so that the drive was completely empty. I then tried rebooting and there was still no drive in the bios menu. I reinstalled the hdd that came with the laptop and used a SATA-USB adapter to plug in the drive. The drive was recognized as unallocated space in disk manager, and I was able to create and format a partition, and read and write to the drive.

I called Asus about this and they stated that Asus doesn't support user modification of laptops, thus I am here to see if anyone has any ideas. I tried changing the sata port to raid and ide just to see if it would come up, but it wasnt recognized in any case. It would seem that the drive itself is fine, given that I am able to read and write to it via a USB adapter. BIOS can see the drive if it is connected to the USB adapter.

SUKARA@ASUS
10-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Could you please help to upgrade the G55VW bios and test again
the latest bios version 214,bios file download link reference to you
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=zh-tw&p=3&s=397&m=G55VW&os=30&ft=3&f_name=G55VWAS214.zip#G55VWAS214.zip

GottiBoi55
10-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Hello everyone. I just recently purchased and received a G55VW-ES71 along with a Kingston HyperX 3K 240gb SSD.

My intention was to do a fresh installation on the SSD immediately. When attempting to do this, my windows 7 installer stated 'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.' I hit next anyways because it was available and Windows seemed fine with installing to the SSD. Upon rebooting, my computer gave an error about not having a bootable drive. I went into the boot menu and the SSD was not in the list of items. It said nothing was attached to Sata port 1. I brought back up windows installer and deleted all partitions so that the drive was completely empty. I then tried rebooting and there was still no drive in the bios menu. I reinstalled the hdd that came with the laptop and used a SATA-USB adapter to plug in the drive. The drive was recognized as unallocated space in disk manager, and I was able to create and format a partition, and read and write to the drive.

I called Asus about this and they stated that Asus doesn't support user modification of laptops, thus I am here to see if anyone has any ideas. I tried changing the sata port to raid and ide just to see if it would come up, but it wasnt recognized in any case. It would seem that the drive itself is fine, given that I am able to read and write to it via a USB adapter. BIOS can see the drive if it is connected to the USB adapter.

1. When installing windows on your SSD, you need go into BIOS setup and change to "ACHI mode" before you install.
2. In windows setup, go into "custom" and delete all on the SSD drive and let windows format the drive for you.
3. make sure you select "ask me later" for windows update when you get to that page.
4. once you get into windows, then install all the drivers from asus for your G55.
(you can use your "drivers and utilities disk" if you wish, just go into advance and uncheck the bloatware you don't want)
5. then you can turn windows update back on again.

thbirdman
10-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Could you please help to upgrade the G55VW bios and test again
the latest bios version 214,bios file download link reference to you
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=zh-tw&p=3&s=397&m=G55VW&os=30&ft=3&f_name=G55VWAS214.zip#G55VWAS214.zip

I updated my bios to version 214. The drive still is not able to be seen by bios. It says "empty" on sata port 1 even after the update.

1. When installing windows on your SSD, you need go into BIOS setup and change to "ACHI mode" before you install.
2. In windows setup, go into "custom" and delete all on the SSD drive and let windows format the drive for you.
3. make sure you select "ask me later" for windows update when you get to that page.
4. once you get into windows, then install all the drivers from asus for your G55.
(you can use your "drivers and utilities disk" if you wish, just go into advance and uncheck the bloatware you don't want)
5. then you can turn windows update back on again.

1. The bios was already set to ACHI before installation.
2. Custom was selected. Windows was installed on a totally blank drive without partitions
3. Ask me later was selected
4. Windows does not boot, I cannot install drivers. The laptop bios does not see the drive even though the windows installer can. Since my laptop bios cannot see the drive, it cannot boot from it.
5. See above

rewben
10-24-2012, 05:48 AM
try install the windows using BIOS instead of UEFI.

Woots
10-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Are you installing windows off a DVD or did you make a bootable flash drive install version?

I have got this error before creating usb flash drive bootable windows install ....which became fixed by using the disc install instead.

Forgottenbhs
10-24-2012, 12:48 PM
What you want to do is attach the drive via USB to a working computer and wipe the drive using command prompt and the clean command. Then once installed on the laptop you don't have to format it again through Win installer.

Instructions are below:

"Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk)
Clean
Create partition primary align=1024
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active (assuming you want to install an OS)
Exit"

thbirdman
10-24-2012, 02:36 PM
try install the windows using BIOS instead of UEFI.

I would really rather use UEFI. In any case I don't believe this to be the issue as the drive isn't seen in the bios setup menu, before booting in UEFI or otherwise would happen anyway.

Are you installing windows off a DVD or did you make a bootable flash drive install version?

I have got this error before creating usb flash drive bootable windows install ....which became fixed by using the disc install instead.

The drive isn't seen in the bios setup menu in either case, whether a bootable usb drive is present or a windows disk is.

What you want to do is attach the drive via USB to a working computer and wipe the drive using command prompt and the clean command. Then once installed on the laptop you don't have to format it again through Win installer.

Instructions are below:

"Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk)
Clean
Create partition primary align=1024
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active (assuming you want to install an OS)
Exit"

I tried using a clean disk, but the drive still isn't being detected by BIOS.

At this point I'm thinking it may be a compatibility issue with the motherboard and this SSD. Has anyone used a kingston hyperx 3k in their ROG laptop?

Edit: looking through the forums I found someone running this same SSD in a G75, I have applied for an RMA with the SSD and am hoping it was just a bad drive.

placcy
10-24-2012, 05:13 PM
i wouldnt bother with RMA's in the drive.. its the laptop, not your drive.

same issue, but i have a Samsung Series 830 256GB SSD..

j0ntar
10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
If it isnt seen in BIOS it usually is DOA. This happened with my Vertex 3, and not that uncommon with SSDs.
I am not saying it is the drive but you need to test it in another computer to verify.

pROGammer
10-24-2012, 06:56 PM
The problem is neither with the laptop, nor with the SSD. both seem to be working as expected. Its just that installing Windows in UEFI mode on the Gx5 series is a bit complicated.
The disk needs to be initialized in GPT mode. Then you have to make sure you have started the setup in UEFI mode.
Read online about those topics and write here if you need more help.

GottiBoi55
10-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Just wondering, does the Win7 setup see your Kingston HyperX 3K drive?

Have you check with Tech support @ Kingston about your issue?

thbirdman
10-24-2012, 10:11 PM
If it isnt seen in BIOS it usually is DOA. This happened with my Vertex 3, and not that uncommon with SSDs.
I am not saying it is the drive but you need to test it in another computer to verify.

I actually filled out an replacement request with amazon last night and received the replacement earlier today. The replacement does exactly the same thing. Unless I'm incredibly unlucky, it doesn't seem like either of them is DOA.

The problem is neither with the laptop, nor with the SSD. both seem to be working as expected. Its just that installing Windows in UEFI mode on the Gx5 series is a bit complicated.
The disk needs to be initialized in GPT mode. Then you have to make sure you have started the setup in UEFI mode.
Read online about those topics and write here if you need more help.

I've made sure my windows installation is in UEFI mode via checking the setupact.log file. I make sure the drive is completely without partitions before attempting the install via cleaning the drive. When booted in UEFI mode windows should initialize the drive as GPT on it's own correct? BIOS doesn't see the drives before nor after attempting a windows installtion

Just wondering, does the Win7 setup see your Kingston HyperX 3K drive?

Have you check with Tech support @ Kingston about your issue?

Windows 7 setup sees the drive fine. It goes through the installation. Hooking up the ssd via a usb cable and looking at the contents shows that windows did install files to the drive.

I talked to Kingston support and they recommended replacing the drive, either through them or through where I purchased it. I already have done this though, so this advice doesn't help me.

Images from BIOS can be found here http://imgur.com/a/FwEKh
The first image is with the stock HDD installed to the laptop. The second is with one of the SSDs installed.

GottiBoi55
10-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Have you tried "repair this computer" option?

Clintlgm
10-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Have you tried F8 during a start up and selecting your SSD drive? Seem with SATA III drives you always have to do this the first time booting up.

thbirdman
10-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Have you tried "repair this computer" option?

I did try a couple of times but it always says something about the wrong version of windows for this type of repair.

I ended up going to a local store and picking up an Intel 520 series drive on sale. The first thing I did was install it and go to bios to see if it was picked up. It wasn't. I decided to try to install Windows anyways. Windows actually fully installed and the drive was bootable. I installed it via a usb pen drive in uefi mode.

With the other SSDs after windows goes to reboot and finish installation, the motherboard bios couldn't see the drive, and thus the installation couldn't finish. With the Intel drive bios was able to see it and thus able to reboot to finalize the OS installation.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

john_from_ohio
10-25-2012, 01:11 AM
I ended up going to a local store and picking up an Intel 520 series drive on sale.

Good choice ... ( well great choice actually ) ... the 520's just smoke!!!

pROGammer
10-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Forgot to mention, make sure you use Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.
Try to verify/clean/reset the disk mode manually with diskpart - that's what did it for my Windows 8 RTM.
I know this is frustrating, but hang in there, the benefits are worth it :)

Good luck brogther

rewben
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
i just found out this last night; so it might be related to bios firmware also.

as i posted before that the latest bios firmware (214) for g55 was problematic (frozen power button for me and all that i know who applied the bios), i reverted to the original bios that came with my machine, 206. i thought i could resolve bugs such as:

1. keyboard light failed to turn on after sleep;
2. usb devices can be identified properly for safe removal.

however, there were other more prominent bugs that came out when i added a new ssd (samsung 830 256gb) as OS drive, and moved my fujitsu ssd to ODD: the bios failed to detect the ssd in ODD, causing missing drive when i logged in into windows. at first i thought it was random. then i noticed that only happened when a usb device was attached to the machine during boot. it didn't happen when the machine boots up without any attached device.

just now, i upgraded to the last known working bios, 209. everything is fine now (of course still with bugs like keyboad light and missing usb device for safe removal).

placcy
10-25-2012, 12:39 PM
searched so many posts yesterday can't remember which ones. but a basic update on topic for this thread.

successfully installed the OS on my Samsung Series 830 SSD yesterday. Used this method i found in some post.

-First I boot up normally on original 1TB disk, and launched Asus Recovery Disk Maker. Made my DVD's, it took 3, and my DVD's were 4.7GB. That took about 30-45 mins or so, maybe a bit longer. Note, this does NOT make a backup of your whole computer and files. It only makes DVD's to restore your laptop to factory condition.

-Opened up machine, kept cover off thru all the next work. Removed all disks from all slots.

-Moved the SSD disk to the original cage, as the two cages are different side to side. i.e. unscrew your 1TB disk from its holder. Screw your SSD back into that same holder. Then put that SSD back in the same slot the 1TB came from. (Marked "R" by the connector as I remember.) Did not install original disk at this time.

-Left back cover off, turned machine on, pressed ESC quickly to get a DVD boot menu. Inserted DVD #1, then boot off DVD.

-Went thru all 3 DVD's, this takes a long time over all with different stages. Do not touch it until you see the Windows login type screen. At some stage it will ask you if you want to install windows on <entire disk/1 partition/2 partitions>. Choose entire disk. This will ONLY install in the main normal partition, and will not wipe out any recovery partitions.

-Finished all the windows setup, now the machine boots perfectly on SSD in original disk bay. I then reinstalled the 1TB disk in the secondary slot and boot again. It was found perfectly, and is now the backup/storage disk.

Did not have to change any BIOS settings that I can recall, it just worked. So forget all those disk image/clone/mirror programs which are a lot more of a pain, and just make the DVD's and be done with it.

This method did keep all the original recovery partitions, etc. on my newly built SSD disk. It just made everything fit into the much smaller disk.

Interesting comparison for tech guru's.. I built a PC at the same time as this laptop work. BOTH machines have the exact same Samsung 830 256GB, I bought 2 of them. The Asus laptop gives me a HDTach burst of 358MB/s. My PC (i5 3770k 3rd gen) with exact same disk gets a 450MB/s burst. Strange how different the disks can be, depending on the controller on the motherboard. The laptop has 12GB ram, the PC has 16GB ram.

thbirdman
10-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Well, I thought all was settled when the intel drive booted up after installing windows onto it (7 sp1). The drive drops out intermittently. I took the drive out to firmly secure it in its little caddy and when I plugged it back in bios couldn't see the drive again. I loaded my windows installation, but then exited setup as soon as it saw the drive with the correct partitions. After I did this the drive was seen again.

Later I had my computer downloading a game overnight and when I woke up the computer screen was black and unresponsive. I had to do a hard power down and when I booted the computer it again could not see the SSD. I did the windows installation disk thing again and it worked.

I'm not really sure what's going on. Sometimes in bios when I boot it shows NO drives attached, ODD included. Rebooting always brings back the ODD in BIOS though.

Edit: It seems without fail if I do a full shutdown on my laptop that the intel SSD is not detected unless doing my windows dance. If i restart from windows there is no problem.

at first i thought it was random. then i noticed that only happened when a usb device was attached to the machine during boot.

My problem seems to happen whether a usb device is attached or not unfortunately.

rewben
10-25-2012, 02:15 PM
yes, i noticed that. i should also point out that i could boot the OS drive with no problem (in the case of bios 206). my problem was that ODD drive couldn't be detected when a usb device was plugged in during boot. i was surprised because my previous combo worked.

just curious, you're on 214, do you have problem to shut down the laptop normally (i.e. the shutdown process does not get stuck at the unresponsive, frozen power button?)

thbirdman
10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
yes, i noticed that. i should also point out that i could boot the OS drive with no problem (in the case of bios 206). my problem was that ODD drive couldn't be detected when a usb device was plugged in during boot. i was surprised because my previous combo worked.

just curious, you're on 214, do you have problem to shut down the laptop normally (i.e. the shutdown process does not get stuck at the unresponsive, frozen power button?)

My laptop has no troubles with the shutdown process. On my laptop I have noticed no difference since updating to 214

rewben
10-25-2012, 02:31 PM
more surprises :/ my friends and i all got a frozen power button. need to do a force shutdown (press and hold for a few seconds)

GottiBoi55
10-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I did try a couple of times but it always says something about the wrong version of windows for this type of repair.

I ended up going to a local store and picking up an Intel 520 series drive on sale. The first thing I did was install it and go to bios to see if it was picked up. It wasn't. I decided to try to install Windows anyways. Windows actually fully installed and the drive was bootable. I installed it via a usb pen drive in uefi mode.

With the other SSDs after windows goes to reboot and finish installation, the motherboard bios couldn't see the drive, and thus the installation couldn't finish. With the Intel drive bios was able to see it and thus able to reboot to finalize the OS installation.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

That's the drive I have, had it for five months now and no problems what so ever with it.
I get great boot times, like 15-18 seconds from cold start.
loads games, and aps stupid fast!
Did you download the "intel SSD toolbox"?

thbirdman
10-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Final Update:

I decided all the weirdness was enough to make me RMA the laptop itself. I received a replacement laptop. The replacement has no trouble seeing any of the solid state drives. It looks like it was just a fluke motherboard in my original laptop. Thanks again to everyone who helped me out.

rewben
10-27-2012, 03:09 AM
good to hear that :)