PDA

View Full Version : Booted Ubuntu into my g74sx a few questions.

Yisera
10-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Hello peeps!
I wanted to know if it is possible to get the fn+f1-f12 keys to work on ubuntu ( I have Quantal Quetzal upgrade(12.10))
so that I can light up my keyboard and go volume up/down, or just use brightness options.

Is there a way to disable the trackpad when I connect a mouse, just like on windows? Is there a trackpad driver to allow gestures?

Thanks in advance! :)

fostert
10-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Hello peeps!
I wanted to know if it is possible to get the fn+f1-f12 keys to work on ubuntu ( I have Quantal Quetzal upgrade(12.10))
so that I can light up my keyboard and go volume up/down, or just use brightness options.

I use Debian on my G74, and a generic debian distro kernel 3.2, which has the ASUS ACPI features compiled in (see http://acpi4asus.sourceforge.net/). I can control the KB backlight, volume, screen brightness, WIFI enable/disable, etc at the GDM screen before logging into X and running a window manager, but once I am running a WM the Fn- keys don't seem to work anymore, so the WM has probably remapped them for its own uses.

Gorman
10-25-2012, 05:41 AM
Bodhi here (Ubuntu 10.04 ofshoot), I remapped fn+... using the key mapping utility.
If you google around you should find a generic way to remap keys, then you can just remap them as you please.

For example on my netbook I remapped fn+up to amixer -q sset Master 3%+

Spook50
01-13-2013, 06:21 AM
Bodhi here (Ubuntu 10.04 ofshoot), I remapped fn+... using the key mapping utility.
If you google around you should find a generic way to remap keys, then you can just remap them as you please.

For example on my netbook I remapped fn+up to amixer -q sset Master 3%+

A little late to the party here, but how/where were you able to get the particular command strings for the function key, well, functions? I'm planning on dual booting Ubuntu myself so I can yutz around with it, and would like to retain their functionality there too.

danavsbelly
01-13-2013, 02:48 PM
good,google around you should find a generic way to remap keys, then you can just remap them as you pleasehttp://www.oksky.us/imiss/images/3.gif

Spook50
01-14-2013, 03:00 AM
good,google around you should find a generic way to remap keys, then you can just remap them as you pleasehttp://www.oksky.us/imiss/images/3.gif

I already had. Found plenty of guides detailing HOW to remap keys, but no luck finding the actual command strings that would result in the intended functions of the ASUS function keys.

Zygomorphic
01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
I use Debian on my G74, and a generic debian distro kernel 3.2, which has the ASUS ACPI features compiled in (see http://acpi4asus.sourceforge.net/). I can control the KB backlight, volume, screen brightness, WIFI enable/disable, etc at the GDM screen before logging into X and running a window manager, but once I am running a WM the Fn- keys don't seem to work anymore, so the WM has probably remapped them for its own uses.

Thanks, @fostert, I will look into getting them running on my OpenSUSE installation so that I can change the keyboard brightness. On my system, the following work by default:
fn+f2 : wireless
fn+f5 : screen brightness up (not with nVidia driver though)
fn+f6 : screen brightness down (not with nVidia driver though)
fn+f7 : boss key :p - screen off
fn+f10 : mute
fn+f11 : volume down
fn+f12 : volume up

Gorman
01-14-2013, 11:57 AM
A little late to the party here, but how/where were you able to get the particular command strings for the function key, well, functions? I'm planning on dual booting Ubuntu myself so I can yutz around with it, and would like to retain their functionality there too.
Well Bodhi has a keyremapping utility which I use.

If you google "How to remap keys <Insert distro here>" then it should come up. Or go to command line and type "key" then try tab complete it and you might get lucky ;)

Zygomorphic
01-15-2013, 01:27 AM

If you google "How to remap keys <Insert distro here>" then it should come up. Or go to command line and type "key" then try tab complete it and you might get lucky ;)

Ha! Best advice ever! Google...forums...:D

Spook50
01-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Hrmm, maybe I just wasn't looking closely enough. I got plenty of hits on Google for the actual process to remap keys, but nothing that I saw that showed what exact strings (ie, "amixer -q sset Master 3%+" for the Volume Up function) to actually remap the Function keys too. Obviously I haven't installed Ubuntu yet either, so I haven't been able to nose around in there.

Zygomorphic
01-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Hrmm, maybe I just wasn't looking closely enough. I got plenty of hits on Google for the actual process to remap keys, but nothing that I saw that showed what exact strings (ie, "amixer -q sset Master 3%+" for the Volume Up function) to actually remap the Function keys too. Obviously I haven't installed Ubuntu yet either, so I haven't been able to nose around in there.

No Ubuntu please, they are now installing phone-home software into the distro to generate revenue. Granted there is an opt-out option, but seriously???

Gorman
01-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Uh, the strings are what you want? Or how to remap keys?

It looks like you use xbindkeys to remap (there's a gui for it), and the strings? They are just console commands. I use alsa so I just read the man page to see how to change the volume from command line.

andoh666
01-16-2013, 09:16 PM

Dunno, I seem to have no problems with the fn keys either before or after login. Have you got the appropriate third-party drivers installed?

Zygomorphic
01-17-2013, 02:04 AM
Dunno, I seem to have no problems with the fn keys either before or after login. Have you got the appropriate third-party drivers installed?

Ubuntu configures the necessary drivers a little bit differently, so you likely won't have problems with it. That is one of the things that I like about Ubuntu is the focus on auto-configuration and ease of use which helps the transition from Windows to LINUX.