PDA

View Full Version : WTB g75 keyboard assembly?

Magnet18
10-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Im looking to work with the lights under my keyboard, maybe make them rgb led's or at the very least a nice blue color.
However, I want to do this on a second keyboard for obvious reasons (my G75 is my only computer)
Looked around on the internet, and I can't seem to find anywhere to buy just the keyboard?
(or how much it would cost?)
Thanks!

cl-scott
10-24-2012, 05:42 PM
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5114 (English)
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5285 (Canadian French)

Both are 70USD, and unfortunately both are OOS at the moment, but there should be more inbound. No idea on an ETA, but you can just keep checking those links every now and then.

Magnet18
10-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Awesome, thanks very much for the links!

cl-scott
10-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Awesome, thanks very much for the links!

If you manage to make something interesting, be sure to come back and post some pictures.

Magnet18
10-25-2012, 04:36 AM
If you manage to make something interesting, be sure to come back and post some pictures.

Will do for sure
also, do you think this would be something people would be willing to pay for?
probably say, $100 for a keyboard with keys of a custom color/colors? (assuming colors are fixed)
And probably a $50 rebate if they send me their old keyboard after swapping?

I'm an EE, so I know RGB settable colors could be done, I'm just not sure how easy it would be to make the needed additional circuitry fit in the keyboard unobtrusivley, and therefore unsure of the viability of it.
My current thought was to find the PWM (brightness) input signal, run that to a uC to read the brightness, then use at least some of the old circuitry to control the signals to the new RGB LED's.
Still not sure how I'd run the other 2 color signals to the RGB LED's, or how I'd make the uC controllable once it's inside

first thing's first though, gotta get one and pop it open to see what the size constraints are

Solid colors should be easy though, just swap out the LED's with ones of comparable specs of a different color.

bignazpwns
10-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Im looking to work with the lights under my keyboard, maybe make them rgb led's or at the very least a nice blue color.
However, I want to do this on a second keyboard for obvious reasons (my G75 is my only computer)
Looked around on the internet, and I can't seem to find anywhere to buy just the keyboard?
(or how much it would cost?) Thanks!

Good luck. To get to the lights you gotta cut a few rivets and on a G75 to get the the leds on the kb its about 80+ screws.

Now working with RGB LED"s they will be slightly bigger so your going to have some issues with the surface mounting of them. Quick and easy and what i vote is you get your self a circuit writer pen or some copper or silver dust. Mix it with super glue and use that to hold the led's to the pads and provide a connection. Quick, easy and works great.

Now to get some RGB love going on this will be hard. Each LED will need some more connections to power them. Again this is easy using a circuit writer pen and some masking tape or a window defogger repair kit.

The backlight only gets power. So you limited to one color unless you splice the a controller between the mobo and kb. There is room to do this. Now a easy way to get color changing is to make up a circuit that uses the brightness and dimming to control power to the the rgb segments of the led's You have 3 brightness settings and off. That gives you red, blue green and you can set the default to display all what would be white. So normally its white. You hit the brightness up and its blue, again green and again its red.

I did about a month ago what you want to do. And i can say its not easy. Aside from over 80 screws to get there you need to cut a few rivets to get to the led's like i said. It took me a few hours to add additional circuits to it for the new leds. My RBG controller was taken from a gaming keyboard and slightly modified "Some resister values were changed since the input voltages were changed." . To plug it into the motherboard i used the old kb off a dell. The backlight cable was the same so it just pluged in and on the output i used a connector similar to the stock one only it had an additional 3 pins on the back for the extra led's.

Now i am working on a circuit that will drive the RGB LED"s off a usb port "Wire it up on the inside" And allow software console of the LED's so you can get the full spectrum as well as brightness control. No word on when i'll finish it. This is a back burner project of mine but when im finished i'll upload the circuit diagram as well as the software for anyone who wants to try it out. As of right now i just been building the circuit on Multisim and maybe early next month i'll build it and do some testing but so far on multisim the circuit works just like it should its just a matter of codding some software.

Now after all that is said its not always as easy as just swapping out sutff. You need to thing about the whole system as you do not want to over tax some components and cause them to fail much sooner due to the increased load. Yes more led's can do this "Like 1 and 1,000,000" But the major issue is going to be wither it can power the additional circuity off that circuit. Mines going strong but i have not been running it for a lot and i would really need to look into the circuit that provides power to this and check whats going on there and the components.

Doing this was not to hard. The hardest part for me was getting the thing apart but then again i have a degree as a electronics engineer.
I mean its not really complex but you need a basic electronics understanding and ability to use some test equipment "Multimeter and what not" I'm lucky enough to have some of this at my house and what i do not have i can use at my work "Digital o-scopes and all that" With the end of this i'm trying to make this overly complex by having the whole spectrum of colors as well as the ability to adjust the brightness. Also im lucky enought to be able to get most of my ic's, resistors, led's and what not free as samples getting them from my work so this is pretty nice considering for my controller one of the ic's alone was $15 "That's very expensive for a ic"

If you want we can do some collaboration just let me know. Another project im going to try some time if i can find the some film the size i need is to make a new back light circuit to replace the stock one that is set up for the RGB LED's that i can just print out with conductive ink and trim it out and install it.

Magnet18
10-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Nice!
Thanks for the info!
I'm currently studying EE at purdue, where did you get your degree?
and yea, I have some coding experience on arduinos, and own and operate a digital oscope and multimeter for personal projects(http://www.thesolderblob.com), like you said, the hardest part will probably be the physical constraints

bignazpwns
10-26-2012, 05:01 AM
I got my degree from U of M.

Psy. its not a issue theirs a ton of space int he laptop. It really just boils down to time.

Magnet18
10-26-2012, 07:18 PM
cool
and k, thanks, ill keep that in mind

Magnet18
10-26-2012, 07:23 PM
oh, and if anyone was interested, the keyboards are back in stock