PDA

View Full Version : Asus G60JX 4.0 soundcard problem

flashvlad
05-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Hello !
So i have an Asus G60JX with a creative soundcard which says that it supports 4.0, yet when i go to either the Realtek drivers or the Creative drivers installed on my laptop, there is only one option which is Stereo mode, i cannot change this. How on earth is it possible since it clearly says even on the laptop on the sticker that it supports 4.0 ?

Besides this, i have a second problem which i hope someone can answer:
Whenever i keep the laptop plugged in the socket, there is no problem regarding its performances, the games all move as they should, BUT when i use the battery only, even though i created a profile for power to use 100% of the components, and selecting Performance mode etc THE performances in games are mediocre, as if this laptop had an integrated videocard.
How is this possible?

Thanks in advance !

Brian@ASUS
05-25-2011, 04:19 PM
it is the creative codec pack version 4.0 not 4.0 surround sound if that is what you're referring to?

i believe in battery mode, your gpu does automatically downclock a bit, but its odd if you see a major difference.

flashvlad
05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks doe the reply!
Hmm i don't quite understand,
So all i can benefit of is an emulated 4.0 or what?
I can see that my laptop has only 1 entrance for 3.5 mm jack for sound, and another one for mic. And there is a 3rd entrance for a SPDIF;
Is that a real digital connection?
Would that be the way I could enjoy a 4.0 mode or what?

xeromist
05-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes, 4.0 refers to the specifications and features version, not number of audio channels. Stereo headphones by definition will only ever give you stereo sound through a stereo jack because there are only 2 physical audio channels going to your ears. You can either get emulated surround to your headphones or you can use the S/PDIF to pipe the raw stream to a device with surround sound decoding built in (like a home theater receiver or Logitech digital speakers).