PDA

View Full Version : Do you use USB BIOS Flashback?

_
10-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Have you used USB BIOS Flashback or not, what do you think about it and how it can be improved?

Do you own a board that doesn't have it and do you miss it?

Thanks everyone!

:)

Arne Saknussemm
10-25-2012, 07:27 AM
always and exclusively....it's a great feature.

Anything that would make it even easier could improve it...from not having to rename the BIOS file to allowing other formats of the pendrive....ntfs as well as fat 32.....don't know if this is possible but if you could download BIOS file from ASUS without renaming, put it on any pendrive format - as is, plug it in the ROG port and press the button to flash it....:cool:

Myk SilentShadow
10-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Nope, don't use it - only because it's not on my CHVF...and it may have saved my bacon earlier this year when I bricked my BIOS by doing an in-BIOS flashback. One of the reasons I may buy the CHVF-Z is because it's there just in case I need it....plus a 2nd BIOS would have definitely made me want to buy it :p

Zka17
10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm not too good with BIOS updating... :) Still running on the stock BIOS with the Maximus V Gene and Rampage IV Extreme... I did use the USB flashback on the Rampage III Extreme - it worked as a charm!

So, could only suggest changes based on my readings (on what other people seems to have trouble)...

I agree with Arne's suggestion about being able to use NTFS format on the USB stick... with today's new OS, it's getting harder to format in the old FAT32...

Also, I think, some better feedback of the flashing process may be beneficial... something more that those LEDs... - maybe connect the BIOS chips somehow to the Q-code LEDs?

squawker
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
My actual mobo is a RIVE, after having RIIIE and RIIE (that has not USB bios flashback), and did not have any need, until now, for using USB BIOS Flashback.

With RIVE i updated bios from 0901 through 3010, including the CAP Converter with 2105 bios, using a spare USB flash drive and the ‘’normal’’ ASUS EZ Flash Utility that is on the bios Tools menu, without the slightest problem.

However, I think there are some situations (which I luckily didn’t have yet) in which the USB Flashback can be the only way to perform a restoration, update or change back from .cap to .rom on a bios.

So, i think it’s a very good feature on ROG boards and ask ASUS for keeping it on next generations of boards.

billyray520
10-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Even though I usually use the AI Suite II update feature (for the last BIOS) I used the Easy Flash within BIOS itself after I first fired up my MVE . It was convenient because at that point I still didn't have a Windows OS in place. The way the computer turned itself off and back on again was a little unnerving the first time. :eek:

Thomas@Asus
10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Its best practice to use EZFlash instead of AiSuite II for BIOS updates as you are not relying on Windows remaining stable throughout the update process.

Jim-M4EZ
10-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Will USB Bios Flashback ever be able to perform the "two-step flash" ...
... a bios update with a ME FW update (ex: 3203 M4EZ) ?
... from what I've read, EZ Flash 2 is the recommended & correct method for one of these type of bios updates.

Would prefer the USB Bios Flashback method of flashing the bios chip with the machine powered down ...
... without the OS, or the bios being operational, at the time of the flash ...

Regardless, USB Bios Flashback is a "great" feature/tool from ASUS - would not want to have to do without it ... :cool:

Henkenator68NL
10-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Hey Guys,

I actually do use the feature. For my Maximus V Extreme. The only thing that really anoyed me was that after long google sensions I had to discover that you have to rename the bios file to XXXX.CAP file and that your usb drive has to be formatted in FAT32 (who uses that anymore) for it to work (or am I mistaken?)

It comes in handy when your system has problems with your newly installed CPU. Since USB BIOS Flas back needs no powering up the system you can flash your bios regardless.

So point of improvement in my opinion:- have it accept the bios file in the format/name that you have it available for download on the support.asus.com website and make it so that it wil accept NTFS USB Drives. That would make it a lot easier in my opinion!

In short: what Arne said ;)

rwb97
10-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I definitely use this feature, not just for overclocking purposes when changing/saving bios, but it has also saved me once when I managed to brick BOTH! bios chips on my RIVE. Thanks for these great innovations Asus.