PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 is released tomorrow (retail anyway), where's the drivers at?

sevron
10-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Windows 8 is released to retail places tomorrow the 26th and you'd think the drivers would be up today or something to prepare for it. Any word on when they'll have the Windows 8 drivers up?

Apexing
10-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Yea, I hope they will be out very soon.
Ive just downloaded windows 8 with the upgrade assistant, since laptop was bought within time frame to get the big discount on windows 8.

finalhour
10-25-2012, 08:45 PM
As Cl-Scott (I think) or Marshall said in another thread about this (try searching for stuff like this, guys):

ASUS will have it up by the launch day. So if they don't have it up tomorrow, then I'd post on here since it should be up by then.

AlanMcKinnon
10-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Is the discount only available for the upgrade version of Windows 8? I'm buying an SSD very soon and want to do a fresh install of everything on there. If only the upgrade version is available for the cheaper cost, I wouldn't be able to fresh install it, would I?

cl-scott
10-25-2012, 09:06 PM
As Cl-Scott (I think) or Marshall said in another thread about this (try searching for stuff like this, guys):

ASUS will have it up by the launch day. So if they don't have it up tomorrow, then I'd post on here since it should be up by then.

That's the plan AFAIK. Think most of them are already up, and if not, then anyone near Taiwan can take to the streets with pitchforks and torches looking for glorious leader (MarshallR) starting tomorrow. Well, maybe Monday, because who wants to waste a perfectly good Friday walking the streets in a murderous mob when you could be playing games or something else? Save that for Monday. :D

sevron
10-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Is the discount only available for the upgrade version of Windows 8? I'm buying an SSD very soon and want to do a fresh install of everything on there. If only the upgrade version is available for the cheaper cost, I wouldn't be able to fresh install it, would I?

You can do a fresh install with Upgrade version. I've done so in the past. Even on brand new drives without a previous version of Windows.

Clintlgm
10-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I think all you need a a CD/DVD copy of any windows 7 install at least thats all we needed in the past??

Almost Tactful
10-26-2012, 04:45 AM
With as much flak as all of the video game companies have been giving Windows 8 I'll keep 7 lol

bignazpwns
10-26-2012, 05:03 AM
With as much flak as all of the video game companies have been giving Windows 8 I'll keep 7 lol

Yeah honestly windows 8 is them just trying to force their system on us to buy windows phones and tablets. Android was the final nail in the coffin for windows mobile

Apexing
10-26-2012, 06:15 AM
If you actualy read the complains that these game makers are making, its basicly just whine from them.
I myself actualy like the "metro UI" and Ive got keyboard shortcuts to must of the stuff I had in the old start menu.
Force us ? rofl all they are doing is say, hey this OS can sync with any microsoft product, I can see how that is bad. ahahaha

madnj
10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
If your reason to not use WIndows 8 is based off of the noise or articles you've read, I feel sorry for you. WIndows 8 is a revamped UI sure, but overall OS performance and stability is what counts, and Windows 8 performs as well or better than Windows 7 while being rock solid stable.

There are also a number of general UI/usability improvements built into the OS that are better than the Windows 7 counterparts. If you are making statements about Windows 8 without having actually used it and given it a chance, I really can't take your criticism seriously.

Stay with Windows 7 if you want, but don't act like Windows 8 is a steaming turd when you admittedly haven't even tried it out (and by tried it out I mean spent a couple of weeks using it as your main OS).

I've been vocally happy about the changes made in Windows 8 for a whle now having gone from the Consumer Preview to the Release Preview to now the RTM Final build, and I would not go back to Windows 7 even having dealt with a few bumps along the way and some application incompatibility. If you are writing off the OS without having taken the time to use it, I think you're doing a disservice.

ggBanks
10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
My touchpad is killing me :@ Every time I play a game I accidentally touch the touchpad with the palm of my hand on my G55 and because there are no drivers for it, there is no palm protection, and I always do things that I don't want to do. Like shooting unintentionally when I play CS:GO, or while typing in a textfield somewhere sometimes the mouse moves and clicks out of the textfield and I can't type anymore. This is so frustrating.

I could really use the drivers, like, ASAP. What have ASUS been doing these 2-3 months while waiting for Win 8 to be released?

madnj
10-26-2012, 01:52 PM
There is touchpad compatibility. The Windows 7 Synaptics drivers work just fine... Have you not installed them? Also, the newest ATK package on the ASUS site allows the touchpad hotkey toggle to turn off the touchpad altogether.

ggBanks
10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
The Synaptics doesn't always start on system start-up so I put up with it by uninstalling it. And why is the ATK package driver on ASUS website and not here?!? I never go there because this is the official G-series website! What is the logic for the drivers to be there but not here?

P.S. I just checked and the ATK package driver is not in the ASUS website either.

madnj
10-26-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't know about drivers here at all... I am a Systems Engineer and generally get my drivers from the vendor websites, but I grabbed the ATK package from support.asus.com. The ATK package 1.0.0022 works fine for pretty much everything (albeit there isn't onscreen indication of toggling off/on).

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK_package&hashedid=n%2fa

And those with the Synaptics package which for me ALWAYS loads at startup here works just fine:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G75VW&p=3&s=388

I would actually expect this site to link to their support site, but who knows. Those packages both work though.

*EDIT* confirmed, the drivers link on this site just takes you to the support.asus.com site for downloads. I searched support.asus.com for ATK and found the newer ATK package details. Protip, never expect that a laptop vendor will keep the drivers updated for a specific model, use direct vendor downloads whenever possible and search for newer software versions from newer models as most of the time they are backwards compatible.

ggBanks
10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
That's for G75 and my laptop is a G55 so you may have the drivers, but when I search for a G55 drivers for Win 8 nothing appears. I doubt the touchpad drivers for G55 will work on mine because if it did it would be in the G55 section as well.

hlorenzl
10-26-2012, 02:44 PM
You can do a fresh install with Upgrade version. I've done so in the past. Even on brand new drives without a previous version of Windows.

and if ever fresh install doesn't work on Upgrade version of the windows 8, you might want to do the buying of SSD first, fresh install your Win7 there, and then upgrade it to Win8. That might work if ever there is no option for fresh install with the Upgrade version of windows 8.

madnj
10-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Oh, I see you are using an Elantech touchpad, not a Synaptics (per the WIndows 7 drivers listed). I'm very surprised they'd use a different touchpad between different models in the same generation, but perhaps you can find Elantech drivers elsewhere.

I'd also be very surprised if the Windows 7 drivers for the touchpad don't work just fine in Windows 8, I know earlier Windows 7 Synaptics drivers worked just fine in Windows 8.

Just because they don't say WINDOWS 8 doesn't mean they won't/don't work. There's only one way to know, and that's to actually install them.

You could try the latest Elantech drivers here: http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/drivers/mice/companies/elantech/models/touchpad/index.html

Forgottenbhs
10-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Jesus, some people love drama, huh?

I have Windows 8 Pro up and running on my G55 and I just used the old Windows 7 drivers. I even got in WoW and didn't notice any problems.

xeromist
10-26-2012, 07:02 PM
There are also a number of general UI/usability improvements built into the OS that are better than the Windows 7 counterparts.

For me it comes down to this: I have Windows 7 fully paid for and it works fine. Windows 8 will cost me money and an unknown amount of time to learn the new UI (I'm a quick learner but it's still non-zero). What does 8 offer that is worth my time & money? I admit that I never installed the preview but that's because I read the lists of new features and improvements and my response was an unequivocal "ho hum". As a power user and gamer there doesn't seem to be anything compelling.

Forgottenbhs
10-26-2012, 07:15 PM
For me it comes down to this: I have Windows 7 fully paid for and it works fine. Windows 8 will cost me money and an unknown amount of time to learn the new UI (I'm a quick learner but it's still non-zero). What does 8 offer that is worth my time & money? I admit that I never installed the preview but that's because I read the lists of new features and improvements and my response was an unequivocal "ho hum". As a power user and gamer there doesn't seem to be anything compelling.

Well, I can't really speak for any games other than WoW but.. as far as performance goes there is a slight improvement when running on Windows 8. For starters I noticed about a 5 fps gain with the exact same settings, setup and addons. I also noticed that the Windows Index Score went from 7.6 to 7.8 for the CPU and ram, and my SSD is now an 8 from 7.8. I still need time to test out other games and perhaps run some benchmarks but in the meantime the performance gain is there. For $16 I'd say this upgrade was well worth it.

cl-scott
10-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Oh, I see you are using an Elantech touchpad, not a Synaptics (per the WIndows 7 drivers listed). I'm very surprised they'd use a different touchpad between different models in the same generation, but perhaps you can find Elantech drivers elsewhere.

It's not that uncommon really. It's generally a good idea to have multiple vendors for any given component so if one of them suffers some sort of production or shipment issue, you don't have to completely shut down your own production. There are a number of other logistical reasons for it, but they get a bit wonky in the traditional sense of the word, so we'll just stick with that one.

xeromist
10-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Well, I can't really speak for any games other than WoW but.. as far as performance goes there is a slight improvement when running on Windows 8. For starters I noticed about a 5 fps gain with the exact same settings, setup and addons. I also noticed that the Windows Index Score went from 7.6 to 7.8 for the CPU and ram, and my SSD is now an 8 from 7.8. I still need time to test out other games and perhaps run some benchmarks but in the meantime the performance gain is there. For $16 I'd say this upgrade was well worth it.The windows index is relative to the version of windows(even MS says so) so you should not be comparing your old & new numbers. I would advise you against using the index for anything important anyway as it's a terrible excuse for a benchmark. It's sole purpose is to provide a basic indicator for people buying software as to whether they can run it. It isn't a gaming benchmark.

I don't play WoW, but it isn't a demanding game so I'm not sure the FPS gain matters. 25 up from 20fps would be significant but 85 up from 80 is fairly irrelevant. If there's a 5 FPS gain across the board for a wide variety of games then yeah I would certainly consider it, but from what I've seen up to now there is almost no gain for most games.

Forgottenbhs
10-26-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't play WoW, but it isn't a demanding game so I'm not sure the FPS gain matters. 25 up from 20fps would be significant but 85 up from 80 is fairly irrelevant. If there's a 5 FPS gain across the board for a wide variety of games then yeah I would certainly consider it, but from what I've seen up to now there is almost no gain for most games.

45 to 50 is pretty significant considering I run everything on ULTRA with SSAO on High and Shadows on Ultra.

The windows index is relative to the version of windows(even MS says so)...

Relative as in similar or same? If that's the case then a slight "passive" performance increase is really nothing to complain about.

The windows index ... isn't a gaming benchmark.

I never said it was, hence why I said I would have to run some "benchmarks" later on.

I understand some people may not want to upgrade or may be against the new interface (I know I hate it) but just like every other version of Windows you will eventually give in and have it on your PC. And I'd much rather pay $16 for it now than $40 later for the same exact software.

xeromist
10-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Relative as in similar or same?Can't tell as the wording is a bit fuzzy. But this is it's intended use: http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-vista/What-is-the-Windows-Experience-Index
For example, if your computer has a base score of 3.3, then you can confidently purchase any software designed for this version of Windows that requires a computer with a base score of 3 or lower.
They do go on to say that the cap may be raised but that the standards will remain the same. That, to me, means that if they increase the index cap your score won't suddenly change. I'm not sure what it means between OS versions. Is a 6.8 on win7 the same as a 6.8 on win8 in terms of raw speed or in terms of compatibility? That's where I feel like things are a bit fuzzy.

a computer scored as a 2.8 will remain a 2.8 unless you decide to upgrade the computer's hardwareSo your hardware is the same as it always was yet the numbers changed? Pretty much exactly what it says isn't supposed to happen? Fishy.

just like every other version of Windows you will eventually give in and have it on your PC. And I'd much rather pay $16 for it now than $40 later for the same exact software.
Yeah, I get the impression that a lot of people will upgrade because they figure they'll have to anyway. That's a terrible reason to upgrade and only empowers MS to keep doing it. If enough people refuse to upgrade then 3rd party developers won't make it a requirement and there will be no need to upgrade. Plus with MS's new upgrade cycle we should expect a new version much sooner so skipping 8 really shouldn't mean waiting very long.

Techinstein
10-26-2012, 08:33 PM
First off all I am on the east coast and got Windows 8 Pro upgrade from site already with promo. There is a couple of small problems but its easy to fix (examples fix screen resolution, download driver nvidia) other than that everything works fine even a game called Combat Arms that lots of people said didnt work. But they tried it on non official version. So once ROG realeses the driver so the performance modes well work on the G75VW with Windows 8 and also the subwoofer to work then it well be the kingof gaming machines minus my 5400 rpm hardrive.

madnj
10-26-2012, 08:35 PM
My take on it...

I'm running Window 8 Enterprise, and have been since RTM. If you value Hyper-V virtualization, Windows 8 ships with a full fledged Hyper-V hypervisor, Windows 7 does not.

Windows 8 has a much improved task manager
Windows 8 has improved file management functions
Windows 8 does have SOME metro applications that aren't terrible

While Metro can be a love/hate thing, you will rarely use it and can access most anything you need by typing in an application name, typing in control for control panel, or right clicking while having your mouse in the bottom left corner.

I certainly understand not wanting to shell out money for something with unknown/negligible improvement, but I definitely disagree with the fundamental groupthink that somehow Microsoft went backwards with Windows 8 when compared to Windows 7.

Windows 8 is a very capable OS and is not the "Windows ME" of OSes as I've seen it referred to or even Windows Vista. Vista was bloated and slower than XP, 8 is not slower than 7 and could be argued to be faster. ME on the other hand was built on the 98 codebase and was simply buggy and unstable in much the same way that Windows 98 never was able to get stability down.

Do you NEED WIndows 8 if you have a stable working Windows 7 environment? No, but Windows 8 has made enough positive changes in my mind to justify an upgrade (or parallel install). Sure, there are some applications that aren't completely compatible, and driver support is still on the way, but the OS itself runs great and has made enough positive changes for me to overlook any complaints.

Those knocking Metro in my opinion are simply change averse or comfortable with their current stable status quo (which is completely fine). Metro's not hard to use even with mouse/keyboard and the statement that it's only good for tablets is simply not true.

pROGammer
10-26-2012, 08:58 PM
More of a power user than gaming features list:

Multimonitor taskbar (it was about time! Can be a duplicate, totally separate or a mix)
Storage spaces (unify two or more physical disks into a single logical one)
Snap a music player(in fact any "metro" app) side by side with a maximized "desktop" window on a the same monitor (great use for a mostly unused wide screen)
faster boot times thanks to core hibernate during shutdown.
improved explorer and task manager
internet explorer 10 today, not a preview in mid November
native .iso mount, no need for crappy (unsigned drivers) virtual drives that slowdown boot and take up space in tray

Every OS has its quirks, Windows 8 is no exception. If you have a solid Win7 Setup, keep it, install 8 side by side.
My G75 came without an OS and 8 just became available through Microsoft Dreamspark, so I took the plunge. Haven't regretted it so far (a month).
I'm mostly programming on it though, can't say anything about gaming performance.

Apexing
10-27-2012, 01:42 PM
That's the plan AFAIK. Think most of them are already up, and if not, then anyone near Taiwan can take to the streets with pitchforks and torches looking for glorious leader (MarshallR) starting tomorrow. Well, maybe Monday, because who wants to waste a perfectly good Friday walking the streets in a murderous mob when you could be playing games or something else? Save that for Monday. :D-.- still no drivers

ggBanks
10-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Come on ASUS the whole world knew about Windows 8 launch date months before it happened! I thought you had everything under control and plenty of time. Whats the matter???

WontonNoodle
10-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah where are the drivers? I want to upgrade.

hlorenzl
10-28-2012, 10:56 AM
@Marshall,

sir, may we know when will the drivers for Win8 x64 will be available? I hope Asus would release them for both G55 and G75 soon and I hope all the things that worked in Win7 would also work in Win8.

Apexing
10-29-2012, 08:31 AM
bump this thing

daevilb
10-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Problem with Windows 7 to Windows 8 upgrade (format & clean install)

The installation went super BUT i have a spooky problem that maybe someone could shed some light on.

Okey so the drivers for W8 are a mess, i used the ones for Windows 7 and hoped everything should run smoothly but....

I have a G55 where i removed the internal HDD and replaced it with a OCZ SSD 240GB Vertex 3 SATA III i also doubled the RAM.

it ran like a dream under windows7 but in windows 8 for no reason the computer sometimes just .. DIES!..

The computer just shuts off, no blue screen, no nothing just as if i would hold the power button for 4-5 secs.
Windows logs says, "unexpected shutdown".. :)

i have ran into this problem 5-6 times now in 3 days and i have not had the time to look into it.

any suggestions? I am pretty sure its a driver problem but since the Windows 8 drivers are not out yet i can't really perform an efficient troubleshooting.

Hyugafe
10-29-2012, 11:17 AM
My G75 was also behaving strangely, but then I did clean install again and decided only to install nvidia drivers (newest notebook drivers from nvidia) and wait for real W8 drivers to come out, and no problems so far.

Problem with Windows 7 to Windows 8 upgrade (format & clean install)

The installation went super BUT i have a spooky problem that maybe someone could shed some light on.

Okey so the drivers for W8 are a mess, i used the ones for Windows 7 and hoped everything should run smoothly but....

I have a G55 where i removed the internal HDD and replaced it with a OCZ SSD 240GB Vertex 3 SATA III i also doubled the RAM.

it ran like a dream under windows7 but in windows 8 for no reason the computer sometimes just .. DIES!..

The computer just shuts off, no blue screen, no nothing just as if i would hold the power button for 4-5 secs.

i have ran into this problem 5-6 times now in 3 days and i have not had the time to look into it.

any suggestions? I am pretty sure its a driver problem but since the Windows 8 drivers are not out yet i can't really perform an efficient troubleshooting.

daevilb
10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
My G75 was also behaving strangely, but then I did clean install again and decided only to install nvidia drivers (newest notebook drivers from nvidia) and wait for real W8 drivers to come out, and no problems so far.

I have the newest drivers available from the "nvidia update", but i will just await the official drivers from asus i guess.

i hate it when i dont have a clue about what went wrong, a bluescreen with some numbers had helped alot but now not even that :)

Swiper
10-29-2012, 05:45 PM

When I encountered this issue in Windows 7 it was related to problem with the hibernation process and SSD. The solution at that time was to dsable hibernation. After installing Windows 8 this problem returned. I have now disabled hibernation in Windows 8. I suggest that you look into the issue of hibernation in Windows 8 when using an SSD.

finalhour
10-29-2012, 07:27 PM
When I encountered this issue in Windows 7 it was related to problem with the hibernation process and SSD. The solution at that time was to dsable hibernation. After installing Windows 8 this problem returned. I have now disabled hibernation in Windows 8. I suggest that you look into the issue of hibernation in Windows 8 when using an SSD.

I have 0 issues with hibernation in windows 7 or 8...and it's a great feature, shutting off kind of takes away from the experience...

Apexing
10-30-2012, 06:52 AM
I wonder where cl-scott is, maybe he went on holliday knowing this mess with 0 drivers.