PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade CPU to i7 Extreme Edition 3920xm

Quasimodem
10-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Hello! I have a G75vw with the i7-3610qm

Am I able to upgrade my CPU to the i7-3920xm Extreme Edition or i7-3940xm?

I would post a link but I can't yet... It is Socket PGA988 just like out G75

If not, could someone recommend the best it will take?

Thanks

Zygomorphic
10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Here are all the relevant specs:
http://ark.intel.com/products/71096/Intel-Core-i7-3940XM-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Yes, it is compatible, just the increase in heat generation will cause problems. People have tried it with the Sandy Bridge Extreme Edition (2940XM) and they had turbo-boost problems due to the 10 Watt increase in the TDP. My advice is to get the highest end non-EE model they sell. The price is a lot less, and the performance difference is nil.

ggBanks
10-26-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't think it is really worth the money. And as Zygomorphic said there is a 10 watt power difference between the 3610QM and the extreme editions. The G55/75 are not made to support that much power draw from the processor, so your system will become unstable, and you may damage it as well.

StereoROG
10-26-2012, 04:37 PM
You need to find a cpu with 45w consuption the intel extreme edition is 55w which is causing problems also some website revomed the option of this upgrade other left it i have no idea why.

So my guess is the Intel i7 3840qm is the best and as the previous comment the difference is not big so better safe than sorry i guess.

http://ark.intel.com/products/70846/Intel-Core-i7-3840QM-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

Cheers,

Quasimodem
11-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'll go with the last mentioned, to match the power consumption...

bignazpwns
11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
If your going to spend $1,000+ on a cpu buy a real laptop. For $2200 you can buy a Sager that will mop the floor with a upgraded G75 all day long. If you got that much money to waste without getting any major performance look into the Razer blade or a Macbook pro.

StereoROG
11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Well we were trying to advise him with the option he has, if he wanted to upgrade... It wasn't about how much money he has etc...

And I think we answered his question but i respect your opinion and your definitely right the performance he will gain is not massive specially against the money he will spend...not forgetting the process to install it and voiding the warranty if we will do it himself.

Cheers,

fostert
11-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'll go with the last mentioned, to match the power consumption...

As Stereo says above, beware that putting in a new CPU, even one with the same power rating as the 3610QM, will void your laptop's warranty. The best performance boost any laptop can get is a SSD, assuming you don't have one in there already. HDDs are the modern day bottleneck in any system, and a faster processor will only sit there longer and wait for data more from the spinning platter drive!

Zygomorphic
11-03-2012, 10:21 AM
@fostert, good point, the SSD will make the system feel way more responsive. +rep.

Quasimodem
11-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I've got a Samsung 830 512GB SSD... Windows boottime is about 5 - 7 seconds... Linux is even faster... Just wanna max this baby out... 32GB RAM upgrade is next...

StereoROG
11-06-2012, 05:53 PM
You still thinking about the CPU upgrade?

List out ur specs till date and how much performance you gained out of it all please.

A voice in my head telling me to upgrade also but i don't have too much choice in the country i live in.

Thanks in advance,

Zygomorphic
11-07-2012, 02:23 AM
@StereoROG it is not worth it. An SSD+RAM upgrade will make more difference. If you really want that much performance, build a desktop or buy one.

StereoROG
11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
@Zygomorphic : i know man wish there was a way to get more or do more with portable machine... I dont want to go through comapring to other brands again but it will be really nice to get easy access to other components for easy upgrade...on ROG laptop that is anyway thanks for your advise very much appreciated.

Quasimodem
11-17-2012, 06:02 AM
I decided not to perform this upgrade... So far I've added a Samsung 830 512gb SSD, an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 for 105mbps internet, and am in the process of getting 32gb RAM...

Zygomorphic
11-17-2012, 11:28 AM
@Zygomorphic : i know man wish there was a way to get more or do more with portable machine... I dont want to go through comapring to other brands again but it will be really nice to get easy access to other components for easy upgrade...on ROG laptop that is anyway thanks for your advise very much appreciated.

Glad it helps! :) I understand what you mean. I'm not concerned, since my comp is fast enough for me. :D However, I know that there are others who would like something faster.

GottiBoi55
11-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Hello! I have a G75vw with the i7-3610qm

Am I able to upgrade my CPU to the i7-3920xm Extreme Edition or i7-3940xm?

I would post a link but I can't yet... It is Socket PGA988 just like out G75

If not, could someone recommend the best it will take?

Thanks

Here's a site called xotipc that upgrades the G75VW>>>>>> click here to check it out (http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwrs72-p-4475.html)
They have both CPUs that you mentioned, i7-3920xm Extreme Edition and i7-3940xm

rewben
11-17-2012, 04:26 PM
hold on; the max we can go for g55 / g75 is 3840qm (unlike msi, alienware, or sager/clevo). read here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19281-Computer-Upgrade-King&p=160281&viewfull=1#post160281).

personally, i think ASUS should seriously consider the upgrade options for us users who can afford them. it's an ROG laptop, and a supposed desktop replacement.

please let us have the options to max out our CPU's, GPU's, RAM, etc.; if it's at all possible, local ASUS service centers should offer these value-added services :/

Zygomorphic
11-17-2012, 09:11 PM
@rewben, you are right on the money there! I would love to see ASUS take over a custom-laptop market like we have the BYOPC desktop market. Of course, they should embrace standards and make it easy, but offer the services to those who can't do it themselves for a nice fee to make it worth their time. :D +rep!

rewben
11-18-2012, 02:05 AM
@Zygomorphic, yes, i believe ASUS has the muscles and network to do that.

i noticed that ASUS always has a head-start when it comes to releasing a new model with better technologies (i think padfone 2 is a clever design); then others follow. but then during the life cycle of that model, ASUS shows signs of lagging behind in the competition. with time, the supposed value-for-money configurations have become over-priced, yet underpowered ones; the distribution becomes much slower (it seems like ASUS is trying to catching up, not maintaining the position). others are able to adapt to the changing demands, continue to offer better stuff in their systems, and maintain their price tags reasonably.

imo, there must be a sustainable business model to do all these (one of them is like Zygomorphic pointed out: embraces standards and make it easy)

dstrakele
11-18-2012, 03:08 AM
RMA a perfectly good, fully-functioning laptop to ASUS... on purpose?!!? Man! Just the thought of that gives me the Willies ... NNNYYEEEHHH!
;>{) >

rewben
11-18-2012, 03:35 AM
@dstrakele, lol! i think there should be a better way to carry out upgrades (locally; instead of sending the machines from all over the world to ASUS HQ, which i think doesn't make sense)

_
11-18-2012, 03:45 AM
and a supposed desktop replacement.

It's not a desktop replacement, it's a gaming laptop. If you want an SFF desktop, buy a GENE or P8Z77-I! ;)

GottiBoi55
11-18-2012, 04:19 AM
hold on; the max we can go for g55 / g75 is 3840qm (unlike msi, alienware, or sager/clevo). read here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19281-Computer-Upgrade-King&p=160281&viewfull=1#post160281).

personally, i think ASUS should seriously consider the upgrade options for us users who can afford them. it's an ROG laptop, and a supposed desktop replacement.

please let us have the options to max out our CPU's, GPU's, RAM, etc.; if it's at all possible, local ASUS service centers should offer these value-added services :/

I agree with you, Asus should sell direct to the "public" like HP, and others.
Now HP offers Laptop custom options of four to five CPUs, and the same with GPUs, and memory upgrades also!

Would like to see the same from Asus!!!

rewben
11-18-2012, 05:39 AM
It's not a desktop replacement, it's a gaming laptop. If you want an SFF desktop, buy a GENE or P8Z77-I! ;)

oh.. thanks for the correction :D

then what i mean was that many of us want more out of a gaming laptop from ASUS, too hehe!

rewben
11-18-2012, 05:57 AM
@GottiBoi55, yes! that's why i am hoping ASUS will do the same; open up more opportunities (for them and for us lol) !

you know how thrilled i was when i saw there were options in CPU in ASUS page for a g55 previously. but it ended up i could only get what our local distributors brought into the country. well, that's just sad.