PDA

View Full Version : So who has upgraded to 8 so far and how was the process?

finalhour
10-26-2012, 03:04 PM
I'd like to hear about how it went for those of you who have upgraded, whether you did a clean install vs. the upgrade, and for any tips you have about what to do before upgrading etc....

phoniclynx
10-26-2012, 03:24 PM
The process was fairly straight forward for me.. I have the G55 model with the tiny little SSD drive and the 750GB HDD. My process was this:

- Boot up with Clonezilla and take a complete snapshot of the Win7 SSD to the 750GB HDD just in case something went wrong.
- Put CD / USB / Download Windows 8 installation
- Set up everything as per normal installation... Windows Update etc.
- Drivers
Go to NVidia's website and download the driver for the 660M chipset (works nicely)
- Install the drivers on the Win7 section of the ASUS drivers page. Note some drivers will not work. I found that I needed to get version 022 of the APK drivers to get the backlight of the keyboard to work.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK_package&hashedid=n%2fa

Not everything is 100%.. ie the switching software doesn't work because its not Win8 certified... but you can still switch.. You just don't know which mode you are in (ie you see the screen brightness change)

Besids that I had no other problems.

sevron
10-26-2012, 03:32 PM
It's gone smooth, but I put 7 back on until Asus gets with the program and puts up the Windows 8 drivers, still don't know why they havent put them up earlier like other companies have, but oh well. Will install it again when it's finally up.

finalhour
10-26-2012, 03:33 PM
The process was fairly straight forward for me.. I have the G55 model with the tiny little SSD drive and the 750GB HDD. My process was this:

- Boot up with Clonezilla and take a complete snapshot of the Win7 SSD to the 750GB HDD just in case something went wrong.
- Drivers
Go to NVidia's website and download the driver for the 660M chipset (works nicely)
- Install the drivers on the Win7 section of the ASUS drivers page. Note some drivers will not work. I found that I needed to get version 022 of the APK drivers to get the backlight of the keyboard to work.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK_package&hashedid=n%2fa

Not everything is 100%.. ie the switching software doesn't work because its not Win8 certified... but you can still switch.. You just don't know which mode you are in (ie you see the screen brightness change)

Would you advise using something other than the built-in Windows 7 backup/image tools in the action center?

finalhour
10-26-2012, 03:33 PM
It's gone smooth, but I put 7 back on until Asus gets with the program and puts up the Windows 8 drivers, still don't know why they havent put them up earlier like other companies have, but oh well. Will install it again when it's finally up.

Weird, we were told on here to expect them literally by today. Sounds like they've dropped the ball hard......

madnj
10-26-2012, 03:41 PM
If you simply want to test out Windows 8 without impacting your existing system, you can install it on a VHD file which can be selected as a boot menu option at bootup. See the following article. This gives you the ability to dual boot if you want to play around and see how driver support works.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/haroldwong/archive/2012/08/18/how-to-create-windows-8-vhd-for-boot-to-vhd-using-simple-easy-to-follow-steps.aspx

Forgottenbhs
10-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Boot up video. (http://youtu.be/JRsAmwNLpa0)

I actually installed right from a USB. Took about 5 minutes to complete install AND boot up into Windows.

finalhour
10-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Boot up video. (http://youtu.be/JRsAmwNLpa0)

I actually installed right from a USB. Took about 5 minutes to complete install AND boot up into Windows.

Clean install or upgrade?

Apexing
10-26-2012, 06:37 PM
you can do either clean or upgrade.
it really is that simple

Techinstein
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Upgraded steps and video coming soon.

1. Go to Windows upgrade offer
2. Enter your information
3. Go to email if eligable and download it.
4. Follow steps and use product code you got in email after purchasing Windows8 pro.
5. If you clicked keep nothing.
6. Go click desktop on START
7. Right click
8. Go to screen resolution
9. Go to maximum screen resolution your pc has.
10. Go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers
11. Find your driver.
12. Install it,
13. Now install other programs you had on your old version if you want or just install all your apps.
14. On ROG laptops performance button wont work nor the subwoofer. Untill a driver comes out for them from ROG.
15. Enjoy :D

Forgottenbhs
10-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Clean install or upgrade?

I did a clean install. I guess I should also mention that I used the Win 7 drivers and have encountered no issues.

martinsamus
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM

- Drivers

Hi, I have this device ACPI\ATK4001 without driver, look at the device manager ...
What you have set in BIOS ? AHCI or RAID?
Thanks.

phoniclynx
10-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Hi, I have this device ACPI\ATK4001 without driver, look at the device manager ...
What you have set in BIOS ? AHCI or RAID?
Thanks.

Always ACHI as RAID has a totally different use... You only RAID if your HHDs are a similar size and you want to strip/span your discs.
Most ppl wont use RAID unless they really know what they are doing as its more used for server technology than the every day user.

phoniclynx
10-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Another point is that I upgraded my BIOS to 214. Some reported probs with one of the bios updates but I've not had any problems.

You will anlo need to get the INF drivers... either from ASUS or INTEL's website.

polglase
10-27-2012, 02:10 AM
I've done a clean install on my G75VW... but now I can't play blurays. Any suggestions?

RPXZ
10-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Any good reason to upgrade to windows 8? I have 3 upgrades to use, but haven't found anything to push me over yet... Good to know that compatibility is getting worked out quickly.

finalhour
10-27-2012, 04:48 AM
you can do either clean or upgrade.
it really is that simple

I know it can be either one..I was asking what HE did specifically...I'm not an idiot...

bignazpwns
10-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Any good reason to upgrade to windows 8? I have 3 upgrades to use, but haven't found anything to push me over yet... Good to know that compatibility is getting worked out quickly.

None at all. Games i got maybe 1-3 fps higher why others had major problems with windows 8. And the ui is the biggest fail move ever. I'll be riding windows 7 and treating windows 8 like its vista.

pROGammer
10-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Before upgrading to Windows 8:

DO NOT uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver
remove versions of NVIDIA VGA driver older than 23th October 2012 (V9.18.13.0668)
and install NVIDIA VGA driver V9.18.13.0668 (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/VGA/VGA_nVidia_Win7_64_Z918130668.zip) or higher under Windows 7 before upgrading to Windows 8

Sources: asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#download (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#download)
support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&os=30 (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&os=30)

cheek
10-27-2012, 06:11 PM
atk package (Fn + hot key) doesnt work. and when it works uses about 20% of processing power!
didnt even bother with the VIA hd driver...
i have 16gb ram. let windows manage pagefile and it only chose to allocated about 5 gb of pagefile. ( win 7 allocated 16gb)
and its hilarious but IE 10 actually seems fast.

RPXZ
10-27-2012, 07:22 PM
None at all. Games i got maybe 1-3 fps higher why others had major problems with windows 8. And the ui is the biggest fail move ever. I'll be riding windows 7 and treating windows 8 like its vista.

That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything. I'll stick with 7 for all my machines.

iMario999
10-27-2012, 08:21 PM
I did. Windows 8 is simply amazing. I wont go back to Windows 7 now.

Zygomorphic
10-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I have it on my G53...its slowly growing on me. I still would like an option for a classic start menu. Scrolling to see more than a handful of apps when I have a 1080p monitor seems a little rediculous to me. Otherwise, it runs well and seems stable enough.

hsp25
10-28-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm wondering if anyone uses steam ( http://store.steampowered.com/ ) with windows 8. Is steam compatible with windows 8? Will your old games work or does it require downloading everything again?

Swiper
10-28-2012, 12:45 AM
I'm wondering if anyone uses steam ( http://store.steampowered.com/ ) with windows 8. Is steam compatible with windows 8? Will your old games work or does it require downloading everything again?

I'm able to use steam with Windows 8. The only game I'm playing is Civilization V and it works fine. I had to download both steam and the game again.

hsp25
10-28-2012, 01:17 AM
I'm able to use steam with Windows 8. The only game I'm playing is Civilization V and it works fine. I had to download both steam and the game again.

Oh dear. With around 300gb of games and .5gb/s download speed, I doubt I will be going to windows 8 any time soon

Zygomorphic
10-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Oh dear. With around 300gb of games and .5gb/s download speed, I doubt I will be going to windows 8 any time soon
That should only be a little over an hour:
(300 gigabytes / 1)*(8 bits/byte)*(1 sec/0.5 gigabits) = 2400 bits*sec / 0.5 bits [cancelled giga's]
= 4800 sec / 3600 sec * 1 hr = 1.3 hrs.

john_from_ohio
10-28-2012, 02:52 AM
I started getting blue screen failures on Win 8 after using cisco vpn client ... it did not say anything was wrong with it during upgrade but died immediately after trying cisco vpn client. Then it would reboot and blue screen again in a loop.

Not impressed but that's why you test on a separate hard drive right!

madnj
10-28-2012, 03:01 AM
Cisco VPN client is incompatible, but I didn't have bluescreens. I switched to Shrew VPN client which uses Cisco .pcf profile files to create connection profiles.

The issue I had was a "Failed to enable virtual adapter" issue when connecting with Cisco, and there's a workaround/fix to that one. I still use Shrew though because I had performance issues with DNS resolution even after the registry hack to make it work.

That said, Shrew VPN is pretty nice and I have no complaints. The latest stable release worked fine, but I'm running the latest beta of the client personally which I had to run the installer in Windows 7 compatibility mode for it to install. All looks good, and I've been using Shrew since Consumer Preview and literally use it every day for work so I can connect to work systems and use our IP telephony software for PC based phone calls over the VPN.

Sorry to hear you've had bluescreens, I never experienced that with the basic latest 64 bit Cisco VPN client.

Asus4lifeP4P800
10-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Upgraded to 8 pro after trying it out on my Samsung series 7 and Dell XT. Works great on all three laptops. Ran into far more problems getting it installed and fully functional on the G75 though. I did an upgrade install, probably the reason why as i did clean installs on the others. Had to re-install a lot of drivers, even with the same versions, in order to get things functioning properly.

Just do it though. Windows 8 is great. YES STEAM WORKS. Borderlands 2, even with a few FPS higher, Counterstrike source works, and everything else i tried. Everyone complains about the start button... I personally had grown past everything the start button offered EXCEPT the search feature. There is no functional difference between windows 8 start menu and 7 if you used it the way I do. you can still access the new start menu(metro) by clicking in the bottom left corner or using the windows key, and you just start typing. Everything else is I use with any frequency is in Rocketdock.

One MAJOR issue I ran into was the inability to Sleep the computer. Turned out needed to re-install the NVIDIA Drivers. Wierd. Sleep wouldnt even show up as options under power settings or anywhere.

hsp25
10-28-2012, 03:37 AM
That should only be a little over an hour:
(300 gigabytes / 1)*(8 bits/byte)*(1 sec/0.5 gigabits) = 2400 bits*sec / 0.5 bits [cancelled giga's]
= 4800 sec / 3600 sec * 1 hr = 1.3 hrs.

Must be mb/s not gb/s then as in real world time it more like 5-7 hours min for 10gb. Depending on server traffic. It can take a full 24hrs to get a 10gb game downloaded. Unfortunately they are the best provider in my area so there is no fixing it until the service provider decides to. I've contacted my isp about it. The answer was basically it's not our fault as we use another isp exchange and they need to fix the issue.. ETA possibly never.

madnj
10-28-2012, 03:47 AM
Hmm, I'd actually check to see if there's a way to migrate your Steam library from one PC to another as that's basically what you're doing here... I'd find it pretty hard to believe you wouldn't be able to back something up so that Steam is aware that you already have the games downloaded.

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but it's possible that as long as the data is there Steam will see that the games are installed:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110830233504AAHY7A0

2Pacula
10-28-2012, 03:58 AM
I was surprised to see that when I installed Steam in the same location as I had my old installation on Win8, it recognized my previously installed games. If this doesn't happen to you, it should be possible to do a clean install of Steam, start the download on the games you have on your old installation, pause the downloads, quit Steam, copy the files, start Steam, then verify game integrity of each game. I did this once on Windows 7 a year ago with no issues.

hsp25
10-28-2012, 05:02 AM
I was surprised to see that when I installed Steam in the same location as I had my old installation on Win8, it recognized my previously installed games. If this doesn't happen to you, it should be possible to do a clean install of Steam, start the download on the games you have on your old installation, pause the downloads, quit Steam, copy the files, start Steam, then verify game integrity of each game. I did this once on Windows 7 a year ago with no issues.

That sounds like a much better idea then

polglase
10-31-2012, 01:05 AM
I've done a clean install on my G75VW... but now I can't play blurays. Any suggestions?

I see that ASUS have posted software and driver downloads for the G75VW running Windows 8x64.

I have downloaded ASUSDVD to try and play Blurays, but it crashes when I do.

Any suggestions? Has anyone got it to work from a clean windows 8x64 install on the G75VW?

motherlove90
10-31-2012, 01:47 AM
I thinks I'm not sure if this is accurate, but it's possible that as long as the data is there Steam will see that the games are installed .
:cool::cool:

mascondante
11-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah I'm having problems with my laptop with that unknown driver. It might have been from after the BIOS upgrade but not positive. Here's what I do know. The Hardware ID is: ACPI\VEN_ATK&DEV_4001
The device is the ASUS ATK0100 ACPI UTILITY.

*WARNING* If you uninstall the ATK package after upgrade because you were like me and neglected to read the warnings on the ASUS download site YOU WILL FUBAR YOUR WINDOWS! I had to go into recovery and it couldn't even fix it. I had to go to the command prompt and manually copy my registry backups over to get the system bootable again.

Anyway, when I pulled the drivers out of the MSI package to try to manually install the driver I get "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". Trying to run the PNPINST64.exe installer doesn't do any good either, it comes back with a generic error message with just the device name in the text box area.

But other than no backlight or hotkeys I'm ok. Everything else seems to be running smoothly. Would really appreciate it if ASUS comes out with a patch for this situation.

finalhour
11-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah I'm having problems with my laptop with that unknown driver. It might have been from after the BIOS upgrade but not positive. Here's what I do know. The Hardware ID is: ACPI\VEN_ATK&DEV_4001
The device is the ASUS ATK0100 ACPI UTILITY.

*WARNING* If you uninstall the ATK package after upgrade because you were like me and neglected to read the warnings on the ASUS download site YOU WILL FUBAR YOUR WINDOWS! I had to go into recovery and it couldn't even fix it. I had to go to the command prompt and manually copy my registry backups over to get the system bootable again.

Anyway, when I pulled the drivers out of the MSI package to try to manually install the driver I get "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". Trying to run the PNPINST64.exe installer doesn't do any good either, it comes back with a generic error message with just the device name in the text box area.

But other than no backlight or hotkeys I'm ok. Everything else seems to be running smoothly. Would really appreciate it if ASUS comes out with a patch for this situation.

The unknown driver is the Airplane mode ASUS utility. It's an add-on and can be found on the windows 8 driver page. Hit that page up and install and the error will go away!