PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Cards

John_feat
10-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Guys if I buy an asus g75 with the nvidia 660m inside would it be possible for me to later change the graphic card to a 680mx?

Sincerly,
John Feat

cl-scott
10-26-2012, 04:58 PM
The answer is both yes and no.

Technically it would be possible, however there are some considerations to factor in. The first is it would void your warranty, the second would be the great difficulty in finding a card that would fit, and the third would be considerations surrounding power draw and heat dissipation. So for all practical purposes, it's not possible.

RPXZ
10-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Guys if I buy an asus g75 with the nvidia 660m inside would it be possible for me to later change the graphic card to a 680mx?

Sincerly,
John Feat

The short answer?

No.

Asus does not use an MXM interface for the 660m IRC. However, this may be only for the G55's

bignazpwns
10-26-2012, 11:39 PM

Sincerly,
John Feat

No. Not only is the card not electrically comparable with the mxm Asus uses but the card draws to much power that the G75 was never meant to supply. The highest upgrade you can go is the Asus branded GTX 670MX but it is around $650 and you still need to buy the heatsink. For that price + the price of a laptop you can pick up a sager with a GTX680m

I have tested the asus GTX 670mx in a G75VW and it worked perfect. I was able to get a 1250mhz clock on the core and it put it in the realm of gtx 680m performance. However the GTX 670m and GTX 660m heatsinks from the G75's i got did not fit it. The card was a ES so i do not know if that played a part in it but it should not.

Est. of the time and cost of the upgrade to a GTX 670mx is about $730 after shipping on the card and heatsink "Note the gpu can be as high as $800 each since people know this is the best you can put in the G75 thanks to asus using proprietary stuff if you want the better hardware you now pay the prem" And about 1 1/2 hours worth of work. The system will need to be totally disassembled. This amount of work and time if you have someone do it for you you can end up around $1,000 when all is said and done. When you start to upgrade the G75 you can easly start to hemorrhage money when you look at the gpu and cpu.