PDA

View Full Version : Atheros Bluetooth driver not compatible with Windows 8

m4caron
10-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Any1 had luck installing drivers for Bluetooth under Windows 8?
I searched, but couldn't find any available drivers for Windows 8 and I don't like devices with the exclamation mark in my device manager :)

Forgottenbhs
10-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Just run Windows Update.

m4caron
10-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Windows update did not find anything. I had to uninstall Atheros Bluetooth before win 8 upgrade, due to it being incompatible, now there's no way to get it back it seems :)

Forgottenbhs
10-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Windows update did not find anything. I had to uninstall Atheros Bluetooth before win 8 upgrade, due to it being incompatible, now there's no way to get it back it seems :)

LINK (http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/33457-bluetooth-peripheral-device-driver-solution-windows-7-a.html)

That may be worth a try. Considering the Win7 Drivers still work with Win8.

finalhour
10-26-2012, 08:31 PM
LINK (http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/33457-bluetooth-peripheral-device-driver-solution-windows-7-a.html)

That may be worth a try. Considering the Win7 Drivers still work with Win8.

That one doesnt work with windows 8, its the same one he uninstalled

madnj
10-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Windows natively appears to support the bluetooth, but I did have a single device in device manager that did not pick up a driver. The way I was able to fix that was that I extracted the Bluetooth install on a Windows 7 system and then pointed the unknown device at the driver folder from the extracted installation.

I did not install the package, but I have driver support for all of the bluetooth devices, and I believe the Windows 8 built-in bluetooth support will work even without the software package.

For convenience, I uploaded the Bluetooth install package to http://www.4shared.com/zip/VF1j9oRh/Bluetooth.html

Please note, I did not install the package, I just pointed at the extracted folder as a driver search location for the "unknown device" in device manager that was related to the bluetooth device and it proceeded to install the driver from the install package.

This way, the device has driver support, but the unsupported applications related to the package does not get installed.

Forgottenbhs
10-26-2012, 09:32 PM
That one doesnt work with windows 8, its the same one he uninstalled

Did you actually click the link and try it? It's not a link for the Bluetooth drivers, sir.

finalhour
10-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Did you actually click the link and try it? It's not a link for the Bluetooth drivers, sir.

It's a link to a forum post that's completely useless, I read it. And the most recent post was in May about broadcom drivers...not Atheros

m4caron
10-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Still no luck...tried unpacking your .zip file and pointing to the drivers folder...win 8 claims no driver was found...
PCI Simple Communication Controller is still marked with an exclamation mark and claiming it has no driver installed...
There's also another device in "Other devices" called Bluetooth Peripheral Device, but Win 8 claims it's working correctly..

madnj
10-26-2012, 09:51 PM
hmm, did you try looking at the subfolders under bluetooth? I know it installed, and I did have to extract it to be able to get it working.

Maybe try pointing at bluetooth\system64\drivers folder once extracted? I definitely have it installed, but did this maybe a week ago so I'm trying to recall exactly what I did.

Ok, pretty sure it's this path: Bluetooth\program files\Bluetooth Suite\Drivers

m4caron
10-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Yup,tried everything...nothing found...

m4caron
10-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Could you maybe check, what kind of Atheros devices do you have in the Blueatooth section?
I want to try selecting one of the devices from the list.

madnj
10-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Check my edited path. I'll attach a couple of screenshots - the bluetooth module device is the only thing that has an Atheros driver and the driver files related to it are located in D:\Bluetooth\program files\Bluetooth Suite\Drivers as extracted on my PC :

m4caron
10-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Hmmm this is funny...I have every device you have installed correctly, plus Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator in Bluetooth section, but I still have an exclamation marked device in Other devices called PCI Simple Communication Controller.
I'm starting to be worriet it may be something else...but have no idea what..

madnj
10-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Grab the PCI ID# from the device and google it. That should at least help you identify it.

dstrakele
10-26-2012, 10:37 PM
I believe that may be the Intel Management Engine Interface. Unless your laptop is managed remotely by a corporate IT person, it isn't essential. Windows Update would install a version for it on Windows 7.

madnj
10-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Good call... I install that device using the driver from Intel's site, but I didn't think about it.

I search for Intel MEI on the Intel support/driver page and it brings up some install options. I definitely have it loaded though.

m4caron
10-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Downloading as we speak.. I also searched for PCI ID and it seems it really is that! Thank you very much for helping guys. Will see in few mins, if it's solved :)

m4caron
10-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Yes! Finally everything seems OK, thanks a lot for help guys.
Btw. Bluetooth seems really strange >
a) Bluetooth switch in PC settings is greyed out..so you can't turn it on/off through there
b) Bluetooth works fine, although the quality of sound through the connected NOKIA BT headset is simply terrible...

broken pixel
11-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Is there supposed to be a Bluetooth icon in the control panel? I installed the windows 8 driver and there is a folder but no Bluetooth devices show in device manager. I go to the BT folder and click on the tray icon and nothing happens? The Bluetooth is enabled in the BIOS and when I installed it with win7 I noticed the Bluetooth would light up during the driver install, it never did that while installing the win8 driver.