PDA

View Full Version : G75 Windows 8, AI Recovery Utlity, Intel 520 ssd

Jelaty
10-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Just got G75vw that came with Windows 8.

A couple of things I'm trying to do:

1. Install the Intel 520 series ssd drive into the extra bay and make this the boot drive with Windows 8 on it. I've installed it, but Windows 8 does not recognize it. The Bios does. Anyone know how to get Windows 8 to recognize the drive?

2. I'm also trying to burn recovery disks with the AI recovery Utility like I did with my G60, but I can't find it anywhere. Is this different with Windows 8?
I was going to use this to install Windows 8 onto the ssd drive.

Any help would be great

Thanks

john_from_ohio
10-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Think Win 8 is all UEFI so you have to format ssd as gpt disk first ( command line or use a utility like minitool win partition wizard ).

If you have a new machine pre installed by asus with windows 8 on it then the asus recovery utility should be there.

Jelaty
10-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I finally got windows 8 to recognize the ssd drive, but can't seem to format it it shows up as RAW

And I can't find the ai recovery utility anywhere. I see I can download it for windows 7, but not 8
Will that one work?

Thanks

thinkspring
10-28-2012, 07:53 PM
I just spoke with a polite & well-informed person at Asus tech support regarding how to create a disk image for my new g75 (which I purchased yesterday) that has Windows 8 on it.

The answer was what I feared- currently there are no Asus-provided recovery tools to create a disk image for the G75VW with Windows 8. This was very surprising to me but right now this is the official word from Asus.

Wanting to use my own SSD as a boot drive, I attempted both a Windows 8 disk image recovery as well as Paragon's, but neither method worked.

If someone has success doing this I would love to hear about it! But for now this information has helped me to determine what I will be doing for the next several hours: a Windows 7 install from scratch on a new SSD drive & the installation of ton of apps! :|

john_from_ohio
10-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I just spoke with a polite & well-informed person at Asus tech support regarding how to create a disk image for my new g75 (which I purchased yesterday) that has Windows 8 on it.

I was in Best Buy today and looked briefly at the best buy new G75VW with windows 8 on it.

It does have the asus recovery utility already installed on it.

Where exactly did you buy your machine from?

I would not exactly trust phone support to be accurate by the way.

tkolarik
10-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Wow!!! They're selling the G75 with Windows 8 pre-installed but can't produce drivers for the rest of us!!!

thinkspring
10-29-2012, 01:17 AM
I was in Best Buy today and looked briefly at the best buy new G75VW with windows 8 on it.

It does have the asus recovery utility already installed on it.

Where exactly did you buy your machine from?

I would not exactly trust phone support to be accurate by the way.

That's incredible, it is the opposite of what the person told me at Asus, and there was no recovery app installed on my system. It sounds like someone else here couldn't find the recovery utility either on their windows 8 g75.

The person I talked to acted as though he had gotten calls like mine before, and to top it off Asus does not offer a Windows 8 version of the recovery utility for download: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#download

If you happen to be in Best Buy again and can find out what .exe's the tools were pointing to, that would be helpful. There was definitely no AI Recovery utility, or any other kind of recovery utility installed on my system when I purchased it at Best Buy (east coast USA).

Jelaty
10-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Talked to tech support from Asus. I was told that Windows 8 no longer has the AI recovery Utility.
I was told that during setup I should have been asked if I would like to make a recovery disk ( I wasn't), But was told

On the Start screen to type Windows 7 file recovery then click on settings on the left side. From there you will see Windows 7 File recovery. In that you will be see Create a system repair disc.

Still cant format the ssd drive though

Forgottenbhs
10-29-2012, 01:41 AM

The answer was what I feared- currently there are no Asus-provided recovery tools to create a disk image for the G75VW with Windows 8. This was very surprising to me but right now this is the official word from Asus.

Wanting to use my own SSD as a boot drive, I attempted both a Windows 8 disk image recovery as well as Paragon's, but neither method worked.

If someone has success doing this I would love to hear about it! But for now this information has helped me to determine what I will be doing for the next several hours: a Windows 7 install from scratch on a new SSD drive & the installation of ton of apps! :|

How would you like to be a guinea pig?

LINKY (http://www.itworld.com/software/289373/how-create-windows-8-backup-image)

Perhaps this would work.

thinkspring
10-29-2012, 01:56 AM
How would you like to be a guinea pig?

LINKY (http://www.itworld.com/software/289373/how-create-windows-8-backup-image)

Perhaps this would work.

Thanks, but already been there/done that (Windows 8 image creation from command line). The image appeared to be created fine (the size looked like it should), but it never worked. I do remember reading somewhere in my searches that you can't restore an image from a larger hd size to a smaller hd size (which seems really lame, hopefully I read that wrong). At any rate, it never did work.

With the hours I've put into this process- including buying a $40 online Windows 8 upgrade (so I could own the OS I already owned)- and dealing with the fun of having to install Windows XP (IDE vs. ACPI for SATA, oh boy) in order to install my upgrade of Windows 7- all of this legit- in order to qualify for WIndows 8- and to see this all fail at install time ( after Microsoft took my $40)- and then realize that my audio hardware would probably be f'd up under Win 8 anyway- brought me to to my current reality:

Sticking with Windows 7 for at least another 6 months. :)

Windows 7 is what I'm typing from now, and where I'll stay for awhile! I got a chance to play with Windows 8 on the original hd, and honestly... I don't think I'll miss much (esp. since the g75 is not touch screen). The idea of installing an external touchscreen is kind of cool though (wonder if that could be done somehow via win 7 though).

aximander
11-02-2012, 05:18 AM
I have been trying to figure out how to do something similar as well.
Win 8 preinstalled, no recovery software. Some various partition copy programs may work, but nothing built in.
The hard drive is the bottle neck of the system. A cheap $60 90GB SSD would be a nice boost if it worked.
I got my SSD recognized. Formatted on another computer as MBR. GPT made it choke when I tried a downloaded version of enterprise edition (wouldn't install). I have the enterprise edition working on the SSD but not updated yet.

Please post if anyone figures out a way to move an install with free utilities or a way to reinstall or recover my stock win 8.

Mav1s
11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Still cant format the ssd drive though

Just went through something fairly similar; Picked up a G75VW-RS72 on Weds.; Came with Win7Home Premium, which I decided would be upgraded to Win8 Pro using the upgrade program. At the same time, I wanted to move to a Plextor SSD which I would install in the second bay. Here's how things went:

1.) Install the SSD in second bay
2.) Boot into Win7 on the existing HDD
3.) download the Win8Pro upgrade
4.) choose to configure upgrade on bootable USB flash
5.) restart computer
6.) immediately hit 'esc' key to bring up boot menu
7.) select/boot to USB flash

This'll get you to the Win8 install screen... There's a couple more standard steps though before we get to the real problem areas.

8.) Select install
9.) Select custom

Around this point, you should be at the screen to select the drive to install windows to. Here's where we run into the first issue/errors. I couldn't select any of the HDD partitions because it was defined as GPT, which the Win8 install process didn't like ('next' key never lit, stating that the drives weren't of an acceptable format). That's fine though... after all, I wanted to install this on the SSD, which was also on the list. Select the SSD, and I receive the following error: "We couldn't install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. 0x80300024". I figured this was due to the formatting of the HDD (MBR), so I boot to the Win7 partition and format it as GPT, like the existing HDD. Now the SSD's partitions generate the same "not acceptable format for install" message as the HDD.

To keep this message from getting TOO much longer, HERE is what fixed it: The SSD has to be formatted as MBR (can be done through Diskpart tool during the boot-from-USB/clean install process), but most importantly it HAS TO BE THE ONLY DRIVE ATTACHED TO THE COMPUTER. Seems silly, yeah... but as soon as I physically removed the HDD from the computer, and redefined the SSD as MBR, Windows 8 Pro upgrade immediately accepted the new partition created on it to install windows!

Seems silly, yeah. And I started off by completely disabling the HDD in BIOS, which had no effect... the HDD had to be physically removed and then everything worked fine.

Installed/booted to windows, set everything up, shut down, reinstalled HDD, verify boot order had SSD listed before HDD, boot the computer again, reformat the HDD through Win8's disk management, and Voila... SSD Win8 boot with HDD secondary drive.

Hope some of that helps a bit. Feel free to hit me up if you have any other questions/problems, but that SHOULD work. Provided you have some form of bootable install media (Win8 install disc, install USB flash, etc).

aximander
11-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Weird. Asus tech support said F2 is the key to hit for the BIOS. I know ESC does not work for me.

I just hope they have a recovery program that works and I can choose the other drive (SSD)

compu-tron
11-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I have been trying to figure out how to do something similar as well.
Win 8 preinstalled, no recovery software. Some various partition copy programs may work, but nothing built in.
The hard drive is the bottle neck of the system. A cheap $60 90GB SSD would be a nice boost if it worked.
I got my SSD recognized. Formatted on another computer as MBR. GPT made it choke when I tried a downloaded version of enterprise edition (wouldn't install). I have the enterprise edition working on the SSD but not updated yet.

Please post if anyone figures out a way to move an install with free utilities or a way to reinstall or recover my stock win 8.

what you CAN do is clean install and then just install all your asus programs from the driver disk that came with your laptop, the best buy model does NOT come with that utility/driver disk (ALL OTHERS DO), but either way you can just go ahead and download it from the asus website if you want.

kambocyali37
12-10-2012, 01:51 PM
First of all sorry for my poor english dear friends

I am trying to install win8 on new SSD but unfortunately i don't succeed it.
I have read almost all posts on internet about this issue but there is no solution until now.

Is there any fresh solution on this silly problem? or any new progress?

dcisive
12-13-2012, 08:32 PM
The "new" "Paragon Recovery for Windows 8" works just fine. All you need is indeed a hard drive source other than one on the system. I use a USB external Seagate for this purpose. Takes about a half hour for the entire C drive. I don't know of any other way to effectively image the drive to restore it completely to it's former state not missing anything.

cosmicmango
12-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I would make an Image or clone the drive using Macrium Reflect. I've used it to clone a new G75VW with Windows 8 a few weeks ago with a Intel 520 180GB SSD and didn't have any problems.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
To download the free version, just scroll down to the bottom of the page click on the download button.

Make an image of the HDD, then just re-image it to the new SSD or clone the HDD to the new SSD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cRq5SuFpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rkSX5OzI-TA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWM79HCzdDA