PDA

View Full Version : Pushing the GTX 660m to its limits.

bignazpwns
10-28-2012, 12:27 AM
I will open with this is not a discussion, guide or anything like that. It is pretty much a log of a GTX 660m getting pushed as hard as it can. This is not something you want to run and game on. I advise people to not reproduce anything here. I am going into this with the idea i'm going to burn this card and or motherboard by the end of it.
Ok since i got a GTX 670mx here i decided that i would push the GTX 660m to its limits and then push it one last time on a suicide run and how i down blow out some power related stuff on my motherboard.

I wont give you the modded bios i'm using so don't ask.

I wont tell you what drivers i'm using. This card is being benched to hold the GTX 660m record.

I highly advise you to stay under 1200mhz on the core unless you can afford to replace the motherboard out of warranty. This card gets pretty power hungry when you overclock it and damage from this is your own fault and will not be covered under the warranty.

The G75VW was never designed to power a gpu that sucks this power power like a very heavily overclocked GTX 660m. Running these kind of clocks puts some work on the power system.

System is not in its case. Not to improve cooling but so i can monitor some components since this is stressing the system pretty hard.

I upped the volts on both the core and memory slightly. Stock 1.1v i was able to get to the upper 1300's stable for the max clocks. Currently at 1590. The card is not maxed out for this voltage however i am taking it slow why i keep a eye on on some components in the power circuit Load temps at 1590 are in the upper 70's. I have changed the thermal paste to some AS5 and swapped out the thermal pads on the gpu.

I will toss up some screen shots later and will update as i make progress and when i max out i'll post some 3dmark results, gpuz validation, hwbot and all that.

As it stands

Core 1590
Mem 3500
Vcore 1.2v
Bandwidth 112.0 gb/s

The goal is to hit 1700 without killed the card, motherboard or applying a insane amount of voltage to the gpu. But if need be i can rig up a mount and put my pot on it and give it some LN2 love lol.

Also as a note i freed up power where i could on the system to help this out. The fallowing was removed.

-One SSD "Only running one now"
-Blueray drive
-Display was disconnected
-Running 2 sticks of Cosair Dom. 2 X 8gb
-Wifi remove
-speakers disconnected
-Fans now powered off a fan controller separate from the system
-Webcam disconnected

The result. The worlds fastest GTX 660m. Currently the system hold the single GTX 660m record how it was as a daily driver but now i am well over 4k in 3Dmark 11 i wont go into details until i'm finished and i maxed out the card then i'll do all my validations.

Also for anyone who is from the South East Michigan Area i'll talk to the guys at Microcenter and do the final record run there at the Detroit/Madison Heights location i'll contact a manager on Monday and see what we can set up.

madnj
10-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Excellent post. +rep I look forward to hearing how it goes.

I really wish I had the background on the hardware side to tweak modded firmwares and voltage, but I'm all thumbs on the hardware side. I spent many nights reading posts about someone upgrading their G73JH Radeon 5870 with a 6870 card (and some of the extreme edition processor upgrades as well), and I love to hear about people who are able to squeeze high performance out of these machines.

RPXZ
10-28-2012, 05:14 AM
So you are that concerned about keeping the bios behind closed curtains?

Maybe a donation will change your mind?

PM if you don't want to post it publicity. I have been trying to find a modded bios to push at least 1.2 or more to the 660m. I'm not concerned about the longevity of the card. Hell, you can limit it to 1.2 so I can't get close to your record. I'm not interested in putting a pot on this hardware, that's what the bench rig is for! Maybe point me in the right direction?

EDIT: I'm 20 minutes from microcenter in MI, northville resident here.

ggBanks
10-28-2012, 08:55 AM
@bignazpwns When you are done with all the stuff, can you talk with the VBIOS modder, so he can make one for general use that everyone can benefit of so we can push the 660m more than the +135MHz ?

P.S. And something of the topic. When you install your 670mx, will you be so kind to post some benches with it as well? I am very curious how it handles and what will be the outcome of the upgrade. :)

bignazpwns
10-28-2012, 10:29 AM
So you are that concerned about keeping the bios behind closed curtains?

Maybe a donation will change your mind?

PM if you don't want to post it publicity. I have been trying to find a modded bios to push at least 1.2 or more to the 660m. I'm not concerned about the longevity of the card. Hell, you can limit it to 1.2 so I can't get close to your record. I'm not interested in putting a pot on this hardware, that's what the bench rig is for! Maybe point me in the right direction?

EDIT: I'm 20 minutes from microcenter in MI, northville resident here.

Sorry man i don't do this for any donations just benchmarking lol.

Your not to far from me i live in Gibraltar.

My main issue with releasing this information is due to people doing this blowing up their motherboard then trying to defraud Asus on a warranty replacement. Not saying everyone is dishonest but their are a few people who would do this if they damaged their system. When your pushing these clocks this card starts to get close to and over 100w under full load and the G75's power system was never meant to take a hit this hard. So far its been holding up but i know the components are taking a pretty hard beating .

I ran the GTX 670mx for a while and i was able to overclock it pretty easy to match some stock and lower clocked GTX 680m's. However its not worth the $650+ its going to cost to upgrade. If your going to do that then sell your G75 pick up one with thunderbolt get a external gpu housing and slap a GTX 670 or GTX 680 in it and for the same price you can get way way way more performance..and lower your system temp in the process.

As for the bios i'm not going to post any because it voids the systems warranty since i do not work or affiliated with Asus in any way and it is not authorized. Also i wont post it because Nvidia now does not authorize any kind of voltage adjustment at all and i don't feel like getting into it with Nvidia since this could provide to be a big headache for me.

RPXZ
10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Sorry man i don't do this for any donations just benchmarking lol.

Your not to far from me i live in Gibraltar.

My main issue with releasing this information is due to people doing this blowing up their motherboard then trying to defraud Asus on a warranty replacement. Not saying everyone is dishonest but their are a few people who would do this if they damaged their system. When your pushing these clocks this card starts to get close to and over 100w under full load and the G75's power system was never meant to take a hit this hard. So far its been holding up but i know the components are taking a pretty hard beating .

I ran the GTX 670mx for a while and i was able to overclock it pretty easy to match some stock and lower clocked GTX 680m's. However its not worth the $650+ its going to cost to upgrade. If your going to do that then sell your G75 pick up one with thunderbolt get a external gpu housing and slap a GTX 670 or GTX 680 in it and for the same price you can get way way way more performance..and lower your system temp in the process.

As for the bios i'm not going to post any because it voids the systems warranty since i do not work or affiliated with Asus in any way and it is not authorized. Also i wont post it because Nvidia now does not authorize any kind of voltage adjustment at all and i don't feel like getting into it with Nvidia since this could provide to be a big headache for me.

Completely understood. If you plan on running the benches at microcenter I'd love to be there! I know a couple other friend that would join as well! Keep us updated please!

bignazpwns
10-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Currently at 1650 on the core and all is well.

However i will be recapping the gpu and replacing a few other surface mount components. Should clean up the power by doing this and get me a few more MHz and stabilize the power. Cheap mod for my since my work has reels of what i need. Should have that finished on Thursday unless unless i do it on my lunch break Wed.

bignazpwns
11-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Late update but i did a fair amount of testing.

So stock caps ver some high end caps i did my GTX 660m and a friends. I saw a gain of 125mhz on the core he saw a gain of 145mhz at stock volts so it was impressive. However im at a wall at 1702mhz on the core. Cap upgrade worked great for stock voltage but with the higher voltage it did not seem to help as much. Im at a wall right now and i will be trying some other drivers and what not to see if i can get past this or if i hit the limit of the chip. If 1700 is the limit im not disappointed with it. also i'll be swapping out my cpu to a es that has a unlocked multi so when i do run my benches i got all the power i can get.

A side note i have vaporized a trace on the mobo that provides the gpu with power. outside that no hardware was damage i fixed it and it will handle much more power now so it wont be a issue again however im just waiting to see what else will go next.

Edit. also note im pumping some wicked nasty volts and no longer useing the stock cooling system. Been using dry ice pelts with acetone and a custom fitted pot. will be going with LN2 soon as i can get my dewar filled.

ushhh
11-06-2012, 12:21 AM
got any pics of your setup

ggBanks
11-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Yes it would be interesting to see everything :)

bignazpwns
11-06-2012, 09:39 AM
got any pics of your setup

I take some when i get a chance. This week is going to be a pretty busy week at work.

As a change of base i got a little side project for the machine shop at my work. Were going to refin the heatsinks and extend them into the top hinge cover where we can. Then machine some air vents in it and see if that can knock of few deg. off the stock temps.

Daylife
11-13-2012, 03:50 AM
Hey guys I have a question about OCing the GTX660M i am using EVGA Precision and I have it set at GPU Clock Offset to 135+ MHz and the Memory Clock Offset to 400+ MHz my games are running a WHOLE lot better and smoother now...but im curious to ask if this will kill my video card? It stays pretty cool even when running BF3, WoW, GW2 etc...but i dont want to damage my card.

Guido7142
06-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Have any pictures on the extreme OC ? Would like to see what is going on, or was going on.

Sagi
06-10-2013, 03:42 PM
I take some when i get a chance. This week is going to be a pretty busy week at work.

As a change of base i got a little side project for the machine shop at my work. Were going to refin the heatsinks and extend them into the top hinge cover where we can. Then machine some air vents in it and see if that can knock of few deg. off the stock temps.

It's funny how you never provide ANY PROOFS AT ALL of all your OC'ing.

Until the day you actually start add'ing pictures or some sort of documentation - I might believe what you say, but for now.. I call bull****.

d@nn_78
06-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Agree with @Sagi, all your topics are just words, no proofs, nothing.
Pics, or it didn't happened.

Guido7142
06-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Personally, if I reach 1700 on the core of my 660m I would give a crap on other people's validation. But it is true that it's strange that there are no pics or anything as promised... If I did this I would not only be excited on the OC itself, but on sharing it with the community as well.

Sorry man, I am with Sagi and d@nn_78 in this one...

jmhdj
06-10-2013, 05:58 PM
On other forum he claims he upgraded g75vx With 680m but also not one shred of evidence to support claim. There he uses sligtly different name but I am 99,9% sure its him. Here is link: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/711715-got-around-modding-old-g75vx.html
And after what I have gone through to Upgrade my g73sw to 680m I am pretty darn sure he could had same obstacles in vbios of standard MXM 680 not being compatible With asus sbios.

Guido7142
06-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Guys, talking about mods, does anyone know how to steal a 12V source from the motherboard or the battery ? I am designing a fully internal water cooling system for the G75 and I WILL be showing you pics of how to do it and how it was done. But to move forward with the project I need a 12v source to hook up the motor of the custom slim pump that I designed.
Will get you with pics and updates faster if I know this.

d@nn_78
06-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Maybe you can insert in the motor circuit a resistor, and steal the 19,5V from the entrance directly.

Guido7142
06-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Yes but in that case the pump will stop working when you unplug the cord. The thing is that I want to avoid using a 5V motor, they have quite a bit of less pull than the 12v ones. I am using a motor from this fan if you are interested in knowing http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/AFB/AFB60x60x13mm.pdf
I am using the model called AFB0612VHC which is the most powerfull 12v in that line. You can see that the 5v version has significant drop in wattage, which means a less powerful pump. The challenge here has been mostly to slim down every component of the pump. I have been designing this for over 2 months now, been back and forth with different designs.

I do this in my limited free time, so if someone wants to help, I can share the CATIA files with the design of the pump.
The design of the GPU and CPU block is a piece of cake, just need to take the size of some components and there is not much to say.

d@nn_78
06-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I think that you should first see how much liquid your pump needs to move in a given amount of time, in order to achieve the optimal cooling result. Than, knowing that your pump at 1000rot/min moves "x" liters of coolant in a minute, you can determine how many rotations you need the motor to have. The characteristic of electric brushless motors it's the number of rotations/volt, and from here you will see what motor you really need.
Just my 0.02$

Guido7142
06-10-2013, 09:24 PM
That is exactly what I need. To start, I want to have the strongest motor possible, which will not be much because such small motors like these are not designed to move water but air. Water will make quite a moment on the pump blades and will slow it down in a certain amount I really can not predict until I test it. Another huge concern is that all seals must be waterproof, nobody wants water soaking the motherboard. Tho I am an engineering student and I know this stuff, I can tell you it is quite a challenge.

d@nn_78
06-10-2013, 09:37 PM
If your motor have 10000rot/min at 12V, and the water will slow it down at half let's say, than your motor will overheat and burn out. Maybe a reduction gear it's needed. Also, where you want to dissipate the heat from the two radiators? The space it's small, the circuit short, sounds like overheating to me. You have a lot of things to consider.

Guido7142
06-10-2013, 10:08 PM
That is why I am doing small blades, so that they do not burn the motor but not too small to generate almost no flow. I will be adding a third radiator on the optical bay (not a conventional radiator) that will make the circuit longer and will improve cooling.

All you said is true, specially the last bit 'You have a lot of things to consider'. Anyway, when I get some progress I'll post it in a new thread.

d@nn_78
06-10-2013, 10:20 PM
The best place for a third radiator it's the back of the LCD. I think it will look nice :)
Good luck with your project, and update us from time to time!

ggBanks
06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Water cooling needs fans to cool the liquid too you know. That means that basically you are going to replace the stock fans with another set of fans and the difference you are making is just that you are replacing the copper tubes with some liquid. I don't think that makes a lot of sense for a small space and it may not have a great impact on performance, but it is an ambitious and very interesting project. After all I have personally thought about such a thing too, and by removing the speakers block, ODD and stock fans, there is going to be a big amount of space freed in the laptop. That should give you the necessary amount of agility, but still you have to have cutting edge engineering skills and the necessary expensive tools to be able to create such a masterpiece.

Guido7142
06-11-2013, 01:36 PM
I'll be using the stock fans plus one extra radiator and fan on the optical bay. I'll tell you that it is quite a challenge but I am eager to make it. The radiators will be bigger than the stock heat-sinks and will have water passed through copper tubes that are inserted into them, just like the heat-pipes that come with the stock heat-sinks but with circular tubes instead of flat. Once I am in a advanced state on this I'll post everything on a new thread so that we can go mad on the project.