PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to the Asus/Gaming world.

movieguy12
10-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Hey there. Im brand new to owning a Asus about a week ago i bought the g75vw-bbk from best buy. I am also brand new to owning a gaming computer. im not too knowlegable when it comes to graphics cards or video cards or the processors ect...

so please bare with me.

so far im loving the laptop! its amazing!! Battery life is eh but thats to be expected on a gaming laptop right? lol.

My questions is:

What is upgradable on this laptop?
And what should i look into upgrading?
is there a list of everything i could upgrade?
Is there a way to customize it in any way?

Again sorry for the questions im just curious :). Thanks!!

Also if this is the incorrect area to post this question i appoligize.

chrsplmr
10-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Welcome to ROG MovieGuy12 -- Which bbk are you the new proud owner of ???
Usually Memory and HD's >>to SSD's are doable.

There are lots of useful thread here .. and if you dont find it .. start a thread and simply ask.
G75/G55 Important & Useful Threads (http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?149-G75-G55-IMPORTANT-amp-USEFUL-THREADS)is a great place to start ..

Dont worry for now of 'this' threads placement .. If need be a 'Mod' will move it.
but .. generally a question like this would go in the G75/G55 Section ..

Enjoy ...c.

movieguy12
10-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Hey thanks for the reply!

my GF bought a early x-mas gift my first gaming laptop :). er well actually first gaming computer :).

its a g75vw-bbk5

kkn
10-28-2012, 01:58 AM
well a laptop got its limitations realy, im not shure what you can change on the G75.
but what i know is, you can switch the screencard ( video card ) and the SSD/HDD and add extra memory.
other then that you have to head over to the tread chrsplmr pointed out.

movieguy12
10-28-2012, 02:04 AM
would it be worth upgrading? In your opinion

Rayhan
10-28-2012, 02:11 AM
what are the specs of your laptop?

movieguy12
10-28-2012, 02:18 AM
I copied this from best buy.

Technical Specifications
Warranty Terms - Parts
1 year
Warranty Terms - Labor
1 year limited
Product Height
2"
Product Width
16.3"
Product Weight
9.2 lbs.
Product Depth
12.6"
Gaming Series
Yes
Processor Brand
Intel®
Processor
Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i7
Processor Speed
2.3GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz)
Battery Type
8-cell lithium-ion
Display Type
High-definition widescreen
Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)
17.3"
Cache Memory
6MB on die Level 3
System Memory (RAM)
8GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
16GB
Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR3
Computer Hard Drive Size
1TB
Optical Drive
Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
Optical Drive Speeds
Drive speeds not specified
Direct-Disc Labeling
No
Digital Media Reader or Slots
Yes, digital media card reader
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 660M
Video Memory
2GB (dedicated)
TV Tuner
No
MPEG
Yes
Built-in Webcam
Yes
Modem
None
Networking
Integrated 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking
Wireless-N
Bluetooth-Enabled
No
S-Video Outputs
None
Audio
High-definition with EAX support
Speakers
Internal
PCMCIA Slots
None
USB 2.0 Ports
4 USB 3.0
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports
None
Parallel Ports
None
Game Ports
None
Laptop Weight
Standard (more than 5.5 lbs.)
Battery Life
Not available
Pointing Device
Wide touchpad
HDMI Output
Yes
Blu-ray Player
No
Operating System Platform
Windows
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium
Operating System Bit Version
64-bit
Included Software
Adobe Reader
ENERGY STAR Certified
Yes
Best Buy PC App
Yes
Graphics Chip
NVIDIA
Backlit Keyboard
Yes
Drive Capacity
1TB
Graphics Card
NVIDIA GTX 660M

movieguy12
10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Anyone...bueller....bueller....

kkn
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
well from what i can see of what you pasted you have a 660M videocard, and personaly i dont know how/if there is enny larger of those ( 670or 680M's ) out there so.
i personaly think you shoult post in the notebook forum, trhere are more capable persons that can ansver your questions there.

jdotjdot7
10-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the PC gaming scene. Anyways, I have the same model, and the video card is a beast, it performs a bit better than my desktop's 5770 and it runs around 40% cooler (oh geez i nearly made a brony reference) Anyways, you can easily upgrade RAM (but unless you are using the laptop as a workstation you wont need to, it makes no difference as games don't use that much RAM unless you are running like 4 at a time). You can easily upgrade that 5400 RPm to a 7200 RPM or a solid state. I have a Hybrid Hard Drive as my primary and keep that 5400 RPM as my data drive. Now the graphics card is tricky, it is upgradeable but ASUS customizes the size of the graphics cards so essentially you would have to buy it from ASUS or you would have to know how to make it fit. Either way, the 660M is fine, and if you need more power, it can take overclocking no problem.

movieguy12
10-29-2012, 07:58 PM
So lets pretend I'm a virgin to the computer hardware world.

When you speak of RPM upgrading uh can you specify I don't know what the ssd is :-/? :-/ sorry.

And ok so you have the same model. You upgraded the rpm and what else? :).

Also did you make any changes to the software on the laptop? Like uninstall the live update thing like I read on the forum?

Do you own a backpack for this? Lol jw

So graphics card is upgradable but not really necessary?

Have you downloaded any awesome, maybe useful software I could use :).

Now the games I'm playing are (and please do not laugh) lol Star Trek online, Star Wars the old republic, the sims 3, DC universe online, Star Craft II, City of Heroes. Soon Diablo III, maybe Skyrim, and Games like Battlefield.

Seriously thank you for the time and patience you guys rock! :D

Woots
10-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the RoG family! I also have a G75-BKK5... I installed ram/SDD and other peripherals so I may be able to advise you some.

You can easily increase your Ram and put in a new hardrive (an SSD ideally)
Good SSD brands are intel 520, Samsung 830 if you are looking for top performers. However, most SSD's are solid these days if you don't care about that extra lil 10% of performance or so.
Install your OS on the SSD (this is best upgrade you can do for you G75 BBK5) Plenty of OS install guides on forums here.
Here is a video comparing SSD to non SSD performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j84eEjP-RL4&feature=related

Ram isn't really needed to be honest 8 GB of ram is fine for all the gaming stuff you will ever do... but if you want to upgrade you can buy another 8GB's (2x 4GB sticks DIMMS 1600mhz check other threads for proper CAS timing) I recommend you skip on ram upgrade... just get an SSD... do ram later if you think you really need it (I do video editing and 3D rendering so I actually need it at rare times during rendering)

Here is a video how to install ram/ssd (it's very easy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nsPU9ERnA

Other things to look at for a good gaming pc these days is buy a wireless xbox 360 controller and a wireless receiver for it (a lot of games are x360 controller friendly) ... around 100 bucks with all the addons for it... but well worth it to sit on the couch and game it up with PC caliber graphics.

They got cool official chrome ones out now a days
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/Controllers/special-edition-chrome-wireless-controller

I got silver myself...best buy sells chrome silver... gamestop chrome blue....walmart chrome red
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Microsoft---Special-Edition-Chrome-Series-Wireless-Controller-for-Xbox-360---Silver/5062289.p?id=1218605824147&skuId=5062289
I love my shiny controller :D

You need PC wireless receiver for it
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Black-Windows/dp/B005F1ZUU4/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1351541902&sr=1-3&keywords=Xbox+360+Wireless+Gaming+Receiver+for+Win dows

Also you will need a charger kit and wireless battery pack to make life easier
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Black-Play-Charge-Kit/dp/B000OYMYZQ/ref=pd_sim_t_8

Buy an hdmi cable and hook up the hdmi to your living room tv... and you can use the x360 controller and do some big screen gaming. I can't tell you how awesome this is to have all the benefits of console gaming mixed with the high level DX11 and maxed out setting graphics of a PC.

another good purchase is a good gaming mouse wireless/wired.... logitech/razer are popular picks.
Razer Mice http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice
Logitech Mice http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice

jdotjdot7
10-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Alright, the RPM upgrading is basically buying a new hard drive, if you aren't comfortable with making recovery disks and reinstalling Windows on the new Hard Drive, don't mind it. A SSD is a solid state drive, a good rule of thumb is that they perform around 2-4 times better than normal hard drives and they have no moving parts so they are safe to be moved. HOWEVER they cost an arm and a leg. So what is reccomended is, you get a 240 GB solid state (or 120GB, that may be enough) and install Windows on it and your most used files as it will speed up loading times in game and also the boot time of Windows significantly. My hard drive has an 8 gb solid state built into it, the hard drive tracks what apps i use the most and puts them in the solid state part. That way, if i restart windows enough, it goes into the solid state and boots faster, (fastest so far is 14 seconds) Now those games you listed should be fine, except Battlefield 3, the 660M can run Battlefield 3 on high perfectly, ultra - meidocre, and Max settings would be a no go. Battlefeld 3 is the new Crysis, it requires 2 high end desktop graphics cards to max at 60 FPS. But dont worry, it still looks beautiful on High. Now, what I recommend you download is EVGA precision X to overclock your 660M if you ever need it. But do not throw the shader clock above +400 MHz, it works but i have experienced Video Card crashes past there. Another useful app is GameBooster which when enabled, stops background applications that are unnecessary while gaming.

EDIT: By the way, I do have a Swiss backpack i got at best buy that fits 17 inch laptops (i got it for $45 off because the cashier searched for a better deal for me on amazon and then price matched it) the Laptop doesn't fit in the sleeve but it does fit in the backpack (barely) it is vital if you need this laptop for class. By the way, as the guy above me has in his signature, If you game on battery you will experience bad performance.

Also, I reccomend Razer Mice and headsets. Every logitech mouse i have had has died on me. Razer mice, GET THE WARRANTY if you buy it at best buy get the 2 year warranty, within a year it will probably break and then they give you an updated one for free. Then right before the 2 year warranty ends, it will probably be broke and there you go, another free mouse. The headsets are comfortable and have good sound, i recommend the carcharias as it is cheap and effective, i made the mistake of changing to a plantronics mic and it is uncomfortable, while the bass and sound quality are good, the mic bugs out from time to time and it is uncomfortable.

movieguy12
10-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Ok ok ok.. Awesome thanks!!!!
My last question is can you explain overclocking?

Also do any of you have a bag you store the beast in?

So basically

1.if I choose upgrade the ram to 16
2.graphics card not Necessary.
3.upgrade my harddrive to a SSD
4.download windows into the SSD?
5.look into the complete set to play my games on my 42" tv lol.
6.download the 2 programs mentioned?

P.s. now I've had this laptop for a little over a week now and have already installed games and stuff on it. When I upgrade the ssd and isn't all windows will I loose all the info I already have? I'm not sure how to go about doing all that. I most Definitly need to make recovery disks. My Sony vaio won't let me create another pair and well I lost the DVDs. So it's screwed.

movieguy12
10-29-2012, 08:45 PM
I was at best buy and tested out that pack an love it but noticed it didn't fit the sleeve. Thing is I travel to Chicago alot to visit the gf so i need a bag for the megabus and when I walk you know?

And yea I totally keep it plugged in while playing the games lol. It doesn't last long without that ac.

jdotjdot7
10-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Yes, a Swiss bag, but it barely fits. Overclocking is using software to make your graphics card or processor run at a higher performance rate than they are default set at. Because of the G75s amazing cooling, the 660M can be overclocked +135MHz on it's core clock easily and the memory clock can be overclocked easily as well. It is really easy, you download the program and change the sliders. They can increase heat though, so get a program like GPU-Z to monitor the heat. (Anything above 80C I would say turn the overclock off, if it gets to 100C turn the computer off that is too hot. (but it wont get that hot)
1. You don't need above 8g of ram unless you render
2. Yep
3. Yep
4. Reinstall Windows onto the SSD, there are many guides
5. You can use an HDMI cable
6. Up to you.

answer to the PS. Yes you will, you can store it all on a backup drive such as a flash drive tho

movieguy12
10-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Ok awesome! I guess first place to start is figuring out what ram (should I choose too.), ssd to buy.

So I noticed on the thread what to do rigt after you buy the g75 one of the things was to uninstall the live update due to could cause damage to my drivers and what not. So what then? I uninstalled it. Where do get my updates then?

I promise I'm not this stupid lol. I'm just learning. Again I'm so appreciative and thankful for all the help!!

jdotjdot7
10-29-2012, 09:03 PM
The Live Update CAN cause problems and I remember it made me have to do a system restore on a previous laptop. But I haven't had any problems so far with this one. NOW that is not to say that it is safe. You can get Driver updates at http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/ under the downloads section. However, the graphics card drivers are never really updated there and the graphics card drivers are what you want to update the most as the 660M is fairly new tech so each update may increase performance and compatibility. Go to http://www.geforce.com/ and click the "notebook" tab under recent drivers OR go to drivers and find it manually. There is a 306.97 WHQL driver (meaning it is official) and a 310 driver that is being tested. Download either one you want.

Woots
10-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Ok awesome! I guess first place to start is figuring out what ram (should I choose too.), ssd to buy. So I noticed on the thread what to do rigt after you buy the g75 one of the things was to uninstall the live update due to could cause damage to my drivers and what not. So what then? I uninstalled it. Where do get my updates then? I promise I'm not this stupid lol. I'm just learning. Again I'm so appreciative and thankful for all the help!!

Skip the ram get a decent SSD.. I just got samsung 830 256gb ssd for 160 bucks last week (bought 2) they went on sale again few days later for 180. Just keep an eye out. You can always clone over your current OS to the SSD ... But being that you are only 1 week in... Just reinstall from scratch you only lose a week worth if tweaks...and re-tweaking goes faster now that you know what you are doin.

On ram topic ... Seriously no game is going to use the 8gb you have already. Even with my 3d rendering in maya i rarely use more than 4-6gb's only on rare occasions do i spike more. Games usually only need a couple GB's.. With all the vid card ram these days textures are being easily offloaded directly on the vid card making system ram footprint even less.

The SSD is best upgrade you can buy for that G75 no question! :)