PDA

View Full Version : Remember ME ? Windows 8 makes it look like a success

TSC-Ops
10-28-2012, 01:38 AM
best to leave WIndows 7 on your laptop. dont make the bad decision of going to 8 . you will run into more problems than China has people.

MS made a bad decision dont support them on it.

use your g75vw like it was supposed to be used and keep W7 on it

finalhour
10-28-2012, 02:15 AM
best to leave WIndows 7 on your laptop. dont make the bad decision of going to 8 . you will run into more problems than China has people.

MS made a bad decision dont support them on it.

use your g75vw like it was supposed to be used and keep W7 on it

Yours is the only real negative reaction on here. I think maybe you should take a look around and realize that no one else gives a rat's @ss about your rant against windows 8. If you have something substantive to add to the conversation, i.e. specifics, post away, but otherwise you're just being nuisance

TSC-Ops
10-28-2012, 02:34 AM
you really should read what others are saying here than. its garbage

john_from_ohio
10-28-2012, 02:46 AM

Nothing much wrong with Win 7 64 bit eh?

Yeah I did a system image onto external ... put in a spare drive ( pulled everything else out ) ... recovered my current system onto spare drive ... did the WIn 8 upgrade.

Did not like the result at all ... a fail for me even after putting a start menu back on ... but we have to remember that Win 8 is supposed to be competing more in the tablet area.

Might be interesting on something like microsoft surface tablet but no way I would run WIn 8 RT ... no idea why microsoft is so far behind on getting the real surface with real Win 8 on it out.

Clintlgm
10-28-2012, 03:08 AM
John how did you get a start menu. I'm running a dual boot on a work station with a 24" monitor, its waring my arm out going to that top right corner. I was going to try a Quick Launch tool bar tomorrow that's what i am used to using. Hoping it will work in 8

madnj
10-28-2012, 03:12 AM
These are the exact posts that really just annoy me to hell. I have no problem if you take the time to install/test/use an OS, but to knock it based on some biased 3rd party regurgitated garbage is just wasting space.

Windows ME was a trainwreck because it was an OS built on a buggy/unstable core (Windows 98) and you can't exactly make a stable OS when you are building on quicksand.

Windows 8 is NOTHING comparatively like Windows ME when compared to Windows 7. Windows 8 is fast, stable, and has made a large numberof general improvements, none of which I really need to get into here.

I run my system around the clock and have not had a single bluescreen/crash/hard lock of any kind since I worked out the kinks in my initial OS install. Gaming performance has been great, and aside from a few minor application incompatibilities I can't really knock anything about the OS.

If you don't like Metro and you haven't even taken the time to use the OS at all, you aren't even worth arguing with because all you are doing is regurgitating the "Metro sucks" groupthink that is so popular on the web these days.

I rarely have to even go to the Metro interface honestly, but even when I do I really can't say I find it worse than a traditional start menu. If there's something you can't figure out how to do, please, list it, maybe someone can offer a solution/workaround. Don't just say "hurr, Metro sucks" because it really doesn't add anything to the discussion.

madnj
10-28-2012, 03:17 AM
John how did you get a start menu. I'm running a dual boot on a work station with a 24" monitor, its waring my arm out going to that top right corner. I was going to try a Quick Launch tool bar tomorrow that's what i am used to using. Hoping it will work in 8

What are you trying to go to the top right corner for? I understand that's how you bring up the charms menu, but I rarely use it. You can also use Windows Key - C to bring it up as a hotkey.

I'd still like to understand your usage though, because you certainly don't need the charms menu to get to the start menu. Just bring your mouse to the bottom left corner and click to bring up the menu.

Alternatively for commonly used apps, you can pin them to the start bar so you don't even need to go to the start menu to launch them. Also Windows Key - R will bring up the run line, and just Windows Key will bring up the Metro start menu.

I know of a ton of workarounds/hotkeys/ways to do things, so elaborate on what you are looking to do and I'll offer help/tips if I can.

TSC-Ops
10-28-2012, 03:49 AM
they make 3rd party apps to bring a version of the start menu back , and I have tried 8 its garbage. some of us do this for a living madnj and it truly makes ME look like a gold stallion

madnj
10-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Some of us? I'd love to hear your credentials because I actually do this work for a living.

3rd party apps to bring the start menu back is simply fighting against a direction Microsoft has chosen to take.

I have tried 8 its garbage

What is your definition of trying? Give some scenarios where it does not perform as well or better than Windows 7? Also, I seem to recall quite a few compatibility issues with applications when WIndows 7 was released, so compatibility isn't really a fair argument - although from what I've dealt with most things ARE compatible.

Windows ME was based on Windows 9x code... It was never going to be a "good" OS... Your argument/comparison is flawed and fails even the most basic sniff test.

For some reason I think I'll trust my experience in the industry and working with Windows 8 RTM since August 15th RTM release and Consumer/Release previews before it over your anecdotal "it totally sucks" comments. As you say, "some of us do this for a living", and I think I know which one of us that is.

GottiBoi55
10-28-2012, 03:59 AM
I can't comment on W8 yet!
I'm downloading it now (about 60% left to go), but will get back when all done.
Had a hard time yesterday with connecton, LOL guess too many online downloading!

I will leave W7 on my SSD for now.
going to install W8 on my 2nd HDD and test there first, will see how things work out.
The 2nd drive is a fresh install of W7, so hopefully W8 will have a good base to upgrade too.
will also dual boot my setup, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now with W8 install!

madnj
10-28-2012, 04:03 AM
You might want to consider dual booting and using a VHD for the install if you want to do an initial test... I posted about how to do it on a couple of other threads, and that way you won't have to actually do an upgrade install if you don't want to.

It's up to you, but personally I like to start with a clean base OS install so I know that everything is 100% clean, but I'm definitely looking forward to your feedback/experience.

2Pacula
10-28-2012, 04:12 AM
I never tried any of the Windows 8 betas or RTM, but decided to give it a shot after reading a few reviews and user comments. I can honestly say I actually like it:) It have several small, but neat enhancements on Windows 8, such as the new task manager, and the new, more informative file copying information box. I have even found good use for the new start screen, unlike everyone's precious start menu, whereI only use the search box to start software, and this works just as good, if not even better than in Windows 8 (seems a bit faster to me)

I haven't encountered any issues at all, other than missing drivers from Asus. I'm definitely staying with Windows 8:)

john_from_ohio
10-28-2012, 04:35 AM

There are several alternatives one is stardocks free trial ... google for windows 8 start menu and you will see reviews on several ...

john_from_ohio
10-28-2012, 04:44 AM
As you say, "some of us do this for a living", and I think I know which one of us that is.

The oracle dba gig pays pretty good!

I would recommend avoiding any kind of IT credentials chest beating around here. It just looks ... bad.

Everyone has opinions and some people will want the old menu stuff back ... and find ways to get what we like to use.

Woots
10-28-2012, 05:24 AM
I am starting to feel odd here (due to my lack of win 8 motivation), but I am just sitting back and waiting for dust to settle a tad more.

While I have heard good things, I have yet to hear ... "this is a must have upgrade"....At the moment I don't see much advantage.

Quick boot time is about all that I heard that sounded like a real improvement and being that I use SSD's on all my systems that hardly is an issue now.

I am also not looking forward to buying new full version OS's for all my computers... on an OS that got a lot of bad/mixed press for most of the last 12 months (until recent days). I do not buy "upgrade" versions of windows ever.. I prefer full so I don't need to layer in OS's or deal with old discs.

The 2 things that make me sheepish about upgrading right now are... Microsoft wanting to cloud my data (sketchy) and how easily I can avoid metro UI 100% without inconveniencing myself to do so.

Can anyone here who is has heavily dug into windows 8 shed light on MS cloud (is everything I do now clouded, is it possible to not cloud and still be online and still have normal windows functions?)..... and avoiding metro UI (is it possible to avoid 100% and still be an admin level user.. or will I keep having to deal with metro for piddling things 10% of the time?)

madnj
10-28-2012, 05:41 AM
I would recommend avoiding any kind of IT credentials chest beating around here. It just looks ... bad.

I could care less about credentials, I was simply responding to the guy who opened this thread with absolutely no data to back up his bashing. Fact is, the argument was made that because OP "does this stuff for a living" his statement that "Windows 8 sucks" is to be taken seriously given absolutely no data to back up that argument.

This was a targeted response, no more than that.

Woots,
You certainly CAN live without it. People lived without Vista and many didn't even make the jump to 7 until it was out for quite a while from XP. An OS isn't necessarily going to change your life, it's just the foundation of your user experience and a means for accessing/launching the programs you use on a daily basis.

As to the cloud stuff, that's basically just you choosing to log in with your microsoft passport (hotmail ID or whatever) and being able to store your settings to the cloud much in the way Apple devices sync their data to the icloud so that users can have a unified environment across devices. Skydrive also enables you to save files to the cloud so that they can be reached from any system that has access.

As far as Metro goes, it's more or less a conventional start menu with tiles that can provide active information. Having Metro doesn't mean NOT having a usable start menu.

That said, if you are working within the Desktop portion of Windows, you can pin most commonly used applications to the taskbar and launch them directly from there if you prefer. I personally don't use the Metro interface very much, but I am not inconvenienced when I do.

I'm not going to lie and say that there won't be some growing pains or that you may not simply want the start menu, and in cases like that I suppose there are 3rd party options. I personally think people should at least give Metro a chance though, because ultimately like it or hate it that's the direction Microsoft is going.

This isn't the first time Microsoft has changed the start menu, and I can recall complaints every time a change was made. Ultimately though, people adjusted/got used to them. I don't see Metro as anything so drastic that people can't get used to it.

john_from_ohio
10-28-2012, 05:43 AM
I am also not looking forward to buying new full version OS's for all my computers... on an OS that got a lot of bad/mixed press for most of the last 12 months (until recent days). I do not buy "upgrade" versions of windows ever.. I prefer full so I don't need to layer in OS's or deal with old discs.

The 2 things that make me sheepish about upgrading right now are... Microsoft wanting to cloud my data (sketchy) and how easily I can avoid metro UI 100% without inconveniencing myself to do so.

Can anyone here who is has heavily dug into windows 8 shed light on MS cloud (is everything I do now clouded, is it possible to not cloud and still be online and still have normal windows functions?)..... and avoiding metro UI (is it possible to avoid 100% and still be an admin level user.. or will I keep having to deal with metro for piddling things 10% of the time?)

Well Win 7 is going to be supported for very very long time.

For server 2012 I think there is no avoiding some of the new interface for admin tasks/etc ( could be wrong ) but for day to day usage you can get the old menu back and work just like win 7 for the most part.

The new interface is probably pretty handy if you have a touchscreen tablet ... thats what it was designed for ... and at some point most of us should get used to learning some of it for devices like that.

I think you can totally avoid the cloud stuff ... an option not mandatory.

Woots
10-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Does anyone have a link to buy the official MS download version of the "full" windows 8 pro?

Not this windows 8 pro "upgrade" version... it's all I can find on their site.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbpage.Windows_8_Pro

I wish they called it windows 8 pro upgrade in the title .. instead it's fine print only.

Sadly, I think 100 bucks is close as I am gonna get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416550

This is hardly a discount deal.. that is pretty much price of any OEM MS OS product in the past.. maybe 15-20 bucks lower than norm.

Tempted to just buy that 40 buck upgrade and see how I like it... test it out... then go all in for multiple copies of full version if its worth it to me.

madnj
10-28-2012, 05:56 AM
I can't speak for purchasing options, but I can definitely understand the reluctance to go through a wholesale upgrade without knowing what you're in for.

That said, here's a 90 day eval link for Windows 8 Enterprise which would allow you to install it and see what the fuss is about if you so chose.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

If you wanted to install it and be able to easily clean up after you check it out, you could follow the following process:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/haroldwong/archive/2012/08/18/how-to-create-windows-8-vhd-for-boot-to-vhd-using-simple-easy-to-follow-steps.aspx

Woots
10-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Well Win 7 is going to be supported for very very long time.

The new interface is probably pretty handy if you have a touchscreen tablet ... thats what it was designed for ... and at some point most of us should get used to learning some of it for devices like that.

Yea I am sure this metro ui is gonna slow the adoption of this OS down in corporate environments (hard to say though 1+ years from now).

I am a pretty heavy touch screen user myself (iphone, ipad, car navi) seems like everything I own these days is touch and I love it honestly... except my PC's and Laptop....Because screens are bigger and vertically mounted and not in my lap... which is why building an OS around touch screen interface and putting it on PC's which mostly don't have touch screens makes me scratch my head and say "wtf"? It almost seems like MS sees Apple making 3 times as much money as them now a days and figured lets just do everything touch based now... I almost feel like I am being railroaded into using touch based OS whether I got touch screens or not on my PC. (This is my big hold off pet peeve)

I would have preferred if they make Windows Touch built around metro UI and a windows 8 built around .. not touch... instead of forcing people to use a mouse/keyboard on touch menu system.

I know this is gonna be the sticking point with most traditional users... I always adapt myself and I do see that if I wish to be a MS user from this day forward I need to suck it up and jump in.... by windows 9 it will be even more touch focused I am sure. Even if I can avoid windows 8 ... I can't avoid MS OS's forever.. and this is the new way of things.

I can't speak for purchasing options, but I can definitely understand the reluctance to go through a wholesale upgrade without knowing what you're in for.

That said, here's a 90 day eval link for Windows 8 Enterprise which would allow you to install it and see what the fuss is about if you so chose.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

If you wanted to install it and be able to easily clean up after you check it out, you could follow the following process:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/haroldwong/archive/2012/08/18/how-to-create-windows-8-vhd-for-boot-to-vhd-using-simple-easy-to-follow-steps.aspx

Thanks for that heads up... I didnt know evaluation was still going on currently, I thought I missed my chance for that.

madnj
10-28-2012, 06:09 AM
I suppose I'm with you on the Metro being designed with touch in mind, but I'd hardly call it unfriendly for mouse/keyboard usage. Further, some of the "touch" features are being worked into touchpad drivers to provide touch support using touchpad gestures (I know the synaptics provides some basic functions - I can sweep between metro apps and the desktop if I have multiple open for instance).

If Metro was designed ONLY with touch in mind, I'd be completely with you, but having used it for the last several months and not having a single "touch" device to use it on, I find it to be quite easy to use even with mouse/keyboard.

Woots
10-28-2012, 06:15 AM
I suppose I'm with you on the Metro being designed with touch in mind, but I'd hardly call it unfriendly for mouse/keyboard usage. Further, some of the "touch" features are being worked into touchpad drivers to provide touch support using touchpad gestures (I know the synaptics provides some basic functions - I can sweep between metro apps and the desktop if I have multiple open for instance).

If Metro was designed ONLY with touch in mind, I'd be completely with you, but having used it for the last several months and not having a single "touch" device to use it on, I find it to be quite easy to use even with mouse/keyboard.

I suppose at a glance the metro ui videos remind me a lot of Xbox Live these days. Which in it's own right is a clean organized nice looking way to display a lot of info all at once. I guess I like the idea of that. I just will need to get this OS and see for myself how much of core windows features are hidden in this metro UI.. that is when I don't want annoying windows slowing me down or glitching out when my system is acting up and I need to get my hands dirty with windows under the hood.

If you have been using this for several months you may know the answer to these questions...

Can I go into admin services and fully shut down Metro? If so .. what are the results of that.. does the old school windows 2k looking graphics come back?

Also, what is the memory/cpu footprint of metro UI service running idle in background?

O one more ... please... Does windows aero still exist in windows 8?

(I am concerned about background system resource consumption taking away from the speed/smoothness of resource heavy applications and games.)

PS: Thanks to everyone answering all these questions it's filling in a lot of blanks and misconceptions I had here.

madnj
10-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Metro is a core part of Windows 8, and cannot be turned off as far as I'm aware, but there are 3rd party apps that aim to bring the conventional start menu back.

Yes, Aero is gone and replaced with a hight contrast scheme that I personally think looks better.

Woots
10-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Metro is a core part of Windows 8, and cannot be turned off as far as I'm aware, but there are 3rd party apps that aim to bring the conventional start menu back.

Yes, Aero is gone and replaced with a hight contrast scheme that I personally think looks better.

Ahh, ok.

Thanks for the info on all this. .. I will check out the eval this week.

ggBanks
10-28-2012, 08:42 AM
LoooL such a heated thread! Well I can say nothing, but Windows 8 is the best that has come since Windows 95 as Balmer said on the press conference!

It feels a bit strange from the beginning without the start button and the live tiles. You feel you can't find the proper arrangement you want of all the tiles, but after a wile you stop caring, because they are there, you just can't miss any of them even if it is in the far right corner of the start menu. After all its just a scroll or two away, or you can even move your mouse right and there you are.

For booting to the start menu instead to the desktop, there is a solution as well. Of course it will still boot to the start menu, but if you put your Desktop tile in the top left position of the start menu, just by pressing the Enter button after logging in you are in the Desktop. Its just a button away.

Personally, like most of you, I am using an SSD drive. And windows 8 is so good at using all the resources that the hardware of the G55/G75 can provide, that my computer boots from the press of the power button to the lock screen in around 7-8 seconds. Ain't that fast?

One more thing is that Windows 8 uses the DirectX to help it with all those smooth animations you can see, that's why its lighter than windows 7 in that case. It uses less resources than Windows 7, and it has improved file and processes handling.

As you have already may heard a lot of games benefit as well in performance when played in Windows 8.

There are freeware applications out there that can bring your good old Start menu back!!! So you can have the Windows 7 look with the Windows 8 performance.

What more could you possibly want???

Why is everyone afraid of change? For example, every time the Facebook look or something else changes everyone complains. Well Facebook changed and you are still alive, aren't you???

I am not telling you that you have to go to Windows 8, I am just stating facts that make your wining useless.

If you want to stay with Windows 7 stay with it! But don't say that Windows 8 is crap. Because it isn't!

Its not the end of the world people. Keep calm and continue living your lives :)

Arvinaaaaa
10-28-2012, 09:15 AM
you can just install Classic Shell to bring the start menu back, problem solved.

ggBanks
10-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Here is something from me too: https://www.pokki.com/

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFunfZRpvG4

It also has the option to boot to the Desktop !!!

It is free and beautiful!

Arvinaaaaa
10-28-2012, 09:19 AM
and can use microsoft wedge touch mouse to utilize the touch screen like user experience

Zygomorphic
10-28-2012, 10:21 AM
and can use microsoft wedge touch mouse to utilize the touch screen like user experience

?wedge touch? Let's hope it's more ergonomic than Apple's "magic touch" mouse. I have used Apple mice for all of ten seconds, enough to know that I'd hate it.

finalhour
10-28-2012, 01:28 PM
What are you trying to go to the top right corner for? I understand that's how you bring up the charms menu, but I rarely use it. You can also use Windows Key - C to bring it up as a hotkey.

I'd still like to understand your usage though, because you certainly don't need the charms menu to get to the start menu. Just bring your mouse to the bottom left corner and click to bring up the menu.

Alternatively for commonly used apps, you can pin them to the start bar so you don't even need to go to the start menu to launch them. Also Windows Key - R will bring up the run line, and just Windows Key will bring up the Metro start menu.

I know of a ton of workarounds/hotkeys/ways to do things, so elaborate on what you are looking to do and I'll offer help/tips if I can.

Agreed...his post is a waste of space. Madnj, can you make a thread with a good list of hotkeys and stuff!?

KiwiG75
10-28-2012, 06:10 PM
I've been running it since last night and I can say it is fast, but only fast because they took heaps of nice things out.

Zygomorphic
10-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Agreed...his post is a waste of space. Madnj, can you make a thread with a good list of hotkeys and stuff!?

Which post is a waste? I don't see it.

Apexing
10-28-2012, 07:02 PM
only thing they took out was start bar, and that have just been rewamped into the metro ui.
so far im loving win 8. got it on my laptop and desktop.

ItsDanK
10-29-2012, 03:06 AM
http://youtu.be/iHhKJCgw0Us?hd=1
If you want to see Windows 8 running on my G75VW then click above. Overall I like Windows 8 but as expected, plenty of bugs to iron out.

madnj
10-29-2012, 03:48 AM
If you drag your mouse to the bottom left corner, as far down and left as possible, the Metro start menu is launchable there... You also can right click in the very bottom left and get the admin menu.

I definitely like the hotkeys, but you can get to start other ways.

Further, you absolutely can change the Metro layout by moving things around, so I was a bit confused with that statement.

Internet Explorer works fine here also, but I did a fresh install.

ItsDanK
10-29-2012, 04:48 AM
If you drag your mouse to the bottom left corner, as far down and left as possible, the Metro start menu is launchable there... You also can right click in the very bottom left and get the admin menu.

I definitely like the hotkeys, but you can get to start other ways.

Further, you absolutely can change the Metro layout by moving things around, so I was a bit confused with that statement.

Internet Explorer works fine here also, but I did a fresh install.

The start key isn't what we are use to though, I can't for example click into start and then head to "My Downloads" without exiting my desktop which is somewhat of an issue.

I also wasn't talking about the Metro layout, I was talking about changing the background of the metro UI which you certainly cannot do at this current time.

Dennis St. John
10-29-2012, 04:51 AM
For those not happy with the Metro UI (you don't really have to use it), just fire up the Desktop in Win 8 and install the "Classic Start" App from ninite.com. You'll then be back in extremely familiar territory! At this point, I've setup a dedicated VHD and have a system that dual boots either my existing Win 7 config or a new Windows 8 installation. Real slick! Check out my thread about installing Win 8 without spending a dime, and additional posts and recommendations by madnj. Sounds like you all just got off to a bad start and haven't done much homework to allow for successful transition into this brilliant and much improved OS, which shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with ME. It's new, it's better, will get even better and is here to stay, so get used to it. What... you gonna run Win 7 forever? Things are changing extremely fast and it isn't slowing down anytime soon. You really think Microsoft didn't learn from the likes of ME? Really?

Clintlgm
10-29-2012, 04:58 AM
I did a clean install with the upgrade to a new SSD, I needed no Win 7 disk to do this, I was suprised at that???? Perhaps it picked up my win 7 on the other disk. Again this was not on my G75 but on a work station I'm settin up to dual boot. As to the cloud stuff I avoided it completley. You have a choice to set up a User that is local only this disables the Cloud User. Just set up a Live account for it special if this bothers you. Thats what I did. I don't think I'll be trusting MS Cloud that much, for personal data about me or my computers. I'm sure every hacker in the world is trying to break that one.

finalhour
10-29-2012, 04:58 AM
http://youtu.be/iHhKJCgw0Us?hd=1
If you want to see Windows 8 running on my G75VW then click above. Overall I like Windows 8 but as expected, plenty of bugs to iron out.

HOW do I get rid of the pesky trackpad shortcut things...like swiping left to right brings up the sidebar...etc....I tried to disable it in the registry but it didn't work!

Clintlgm
10-29-2012, 05:04 AM
All you need it the upgrade it will clean install, there getting $39 for it, I'm sure you can buy subscritption Product numbers later on if you need them.