PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help Choosing Future Laptop!

ROG Eclipse
05-27-2011, 05:28 AM
Hello everyone. I plan to purchase a laptop in the near future that i plan to use for gaming and designing stuff in autocad (2d and 3d). The laptop that i plan to get is the Asus VX7.
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-vx7a1-la...wconfigure=yes
The hardware that i need advice on are the CPU and the RAM. From my understanding, correct me if i'm wrong, the more GHz a CPU has the faster/better it performs. Though i'm not entirely sure how much better. The other thing i dont completely understand is the CPU cache. Here are the choices i have for this laptop (the + at the end is additional cost):

2nd Generation Intel Core? i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) - Standard (Does not support DDR3 1600MHz Ram)

2nd Generation Intel Core? i7-2720QM, 2.2-3.3GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) (+389)

2nd Generation Intel Core? i7-2820QM, 2.3-3.4GHz, (32nm, 8MB L3 cache) (+569)

2nd Generation Intel Core? i7-2920XM, 2.5-3.5GHz, (32nm, 8MB L3 cache) (+1,089)

so i need opinions and advice on which to get. obviously keeping the "bang for your buck" aspect at its best. The 2 i'm mainly considering are the 2720QM and the 2820QM. Only differences are 0.1GHz and 2BM of L3 cache. Is that difference worth $180? is it even worth upgrading to either of those and better to keep the standard one?

My second area of advice would be the ram. The obvious fact is that the more RAM you have the faster the computer is. 8GB of ram would clearly outperform 4GB of ram. The thing that i dont understand is the differences of frequency. These are my choices (with additional price on the side):

16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB)

16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory
(4x4GB) [Pleae Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds] ( + 250 )

16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL11 Kingston Hyper-X Dual Channel Memory
(4x4GB) [Pleae Review Laptop Specs for Supported Memory Speeds] ( + 325 )

the only differences between these, to my understanding, are the frequencies. 1333MHz, 1600MHZ, and 1866MHz. Would upgrading to a higher frequency make a large/considerable boost to performance? considering the prices are 250 and 325, i would keep the standard if the difference is small.

i would appreciate any help. this laptop is going to cost me more than $2,200 so i want to make sure i do it right. I would also obviously take into consideration other laptops that offer better specs for the same/lower prices. thanks in advance! (ps, all prices of upgrades are in US dollars $)

This is what my current setup looks like (and by that i mean what i'm considering on buying):
----$2834.344 ---
- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
- ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) 30 Day Pixel Guarantee - (Included on ASUS Standard NON-Upgraded Displays)
- 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM, 2.3-3.4GHz, (32nm, 8MB L3 cache)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 3,072MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
- 16,384MB (16GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB)
- Cobalt Blue Backlit Keyboard Modifiation
- Standard Matching Color WASD Keys
- 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default
- 750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default
- 6X Blu-Ray Writer/Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive- Default

To be honest i've pretty much melded into my mind that i NEED alot of CPU processing power. Does more GHz translate to better GAMING or is it only useful when dealing with a lot of programs?

Take it easy on me, i've posted on CNET and other forums and got chewed apart. I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction and clarify all of this so i can rest easy knowing i'm going to make a good call when the day comes.

xeromist
05-27-2011, 02:32 PM
The good news (and bad news) is that a lot of modern games are very lush and pretty. This means that in a lot of cases you have games that are GPU bound (meaning that's the limiting factor) rather than CPU bound. That's not true of all games though as some of the RTS games like SupCom are very CPU bound.

Overall, yes more MHz means more performance, but only to the point where the GPU is slowing you down. As to how much? 100MHz is going to be maybe 1 or 2 FPS. I found the following post that might help you get some perspective regarding AutoCad. The 2720 vs the 2920 isn't even that much difference, let alone the 2820.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/545462-2720qm-vs-2820qm-vs-2920xm.html

When it comes to a notebook you'll probably never be upgrading the CPU so it's not bad advice to buy the best you can afford, but in terms of bang for the buck the 2720 is the winner in my mind.

Memory speed equates to bandwidth (meaning how quickly things can be moved into and out of memory). As with other components you are only as good as your weakest link. I would say that your choice in memory is fine as is. You might find a bit of improvement in AutoCad bumping up to 1600 but I doubt you'll notice in gaming.

One thing that might give you a noticeable boost is an SSD if it is offered. It won't speed up your in-game performance unless the game uses dynamic asset loading but Windows boots, initial map loads, etc will all be faster.

ROG Eclipse
05-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Alright, that makes sense. I'll probably go with what you suggest, the 2720. Just to get this straight, you mean the CPU doesnt effect gaming much unless its a game/program that has the computer control things right? So..for example, playing call of duty or battlefield wont be impacted much by the CPU while a RTS game like command and conquer will be effected since you can have hundreds of computer controlled units on the map. Is that how it works? As for the CPU cache, would there be any difference, gaming wise, with the 2820's extra 2MB of L3 cache? what exactly does that cache help with? I do play the occasional RTS from time to time so a good CPU is on my list but if the difference is minimal/barely noticeable from the 2720 to the 2820 then i wont bother with the 2820. From what it looks like, i'll probably be doing..

2720QM @ 3.3ghz with 6mb L3 cache
GTX 460M @ 3gbs of GDDR5 VRAM
16gb 1333mhz RAM
90GB OCZ Vertex 2 Sandforce Solid State Drive (Up to Sequential Read 285MB/s - Write 275MB/s SSD Serial-ATA II) ( + 179 ) For Windows boot?

my MAIN purpose for this computer will be gaming. My current computer can run autocad and its NOT that great of a machine so i'm not too concerned about the autocad. with the setup mentioned above, in this post, will it be good enough to run most games at max/high graphics settings?

ROG Eclipse
05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Wait, does the GTX 460M even HAVE 3gbs of Ram? Im looking at other pages and it looks like 1.5gbs. xoticPC might just have their info wrong. or not. not sure.

xeromist
05-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Just to get this straight, you mean the CPU doesnt effect gaming much unless its a game/program that has the computer control things right?
Yes, in that very broad definition this is true. GPU is used for rendering what you see and CPU is used for computing the game's processes like AI. In practice it really is not as simple as FPS/RTS breakdown though. It just depends on how the game was written. You could have two identically looking and functioning games with different performance because of how efficiently they were written.

I guess my original point was that the CPU used to be the most critically important component for the vast majority of games and that isn't the case anymore. But you're really most interested in what that means you should buy. It means that you should have as much CPU and GPU as you can get because both will be used. I draw the line at marginal improvement for big money though. There comes a point when you can save the difference and invest it in a new machine in the future.

As for the CPU cache, would there be any difference, gaming wise, with the 2820's extra 2MB of L3 cache? what exactly does that cache help with? I do play the occasional RTS from time to time so a good CPU is on my list but if the difference is minimal/barely noticeable from the 2720 to the 2820 then i wont bother with the 2820. From what it looks like, i'll probably be doing..

2720QM @ 3.3ghz with 6mb L3 cache
GTX 460M @ 3gbs of GDDR5 VRAM
16gb 1333mhz RAM
90GB OCZ Vertex 2 Sandforce Solid State Drive (Up to Sequential Read 285MB/s - Write 275MB/s SSD Serial-ATA II) ( + 179 ) For Windows boot?

my MAIN purpose for this computer will be gaming. My current computer can run autocad and its NOT that great of a machine so i'm not too concerned about the autocad. with the setup mentioned above, in this post, will it be good enough to run most games at max/high graphics settings?

CPU cache is used to keep things that need to be re-used close to the CPU core and in much faster memory than the system memory. Again, it's going to matter how the game was designed but no I don't believe the extra 2MB is going to make a huge difference.

As for what settings you can run...yeah most likely. The thing you have to realize is that even the best gaming laptops just won't compare to the best gaming desktops. They have to sacrifice power consumption and heat output to trade for the portability. You have a good machine selected and you will enjoy it but you won't be able to absolutely max everything in every game while maintaining 60FPS.

Wait, does the GTX 460M even HAVE 3gbs of Ram? Im looking at other pages and it looks like 1.5gbs. xoticPC might just have their info wrong. or not. not sure.

It's possible. Memory configuration is variable. ASUS often makes more beastly versions of a GPU with extra memory and clock speeds. If it's something that concerns you then you could always contact the vendor to verify before you complete a purchase.

ROG Eclipse
05-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Hmmm...yeah you're definitely right about a laptop comparing up to a desktop...i wish there was a way to check out how certain games would play on it before i purchase one. Ehh. I'm still kind of split upon deciding if i want a desktop or a laptop. having the desktop is definitely nice since i can get equal performance for less money, right? that and the fact that i can have a nice big screen. The thing is i like knowing i can take my laptop wherever i want. Well..thanks a ton for all your help xero. Definitely cleared up all my concerns!

xeromist
05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
If you don't travel with your desktop often then perhaps mATX would be worth considering. I go to LAN parties every few months so I have a rig in mATX form factor that's a bit easier to move around. Cases like Da Box are very compact but still allow full sized GPU's. GearGrip makes carrying straps & protectors for cases & monitors as well. Of course this assumes that you have a space to set up at once you get to your destination. It obviously won't work in an airport but it will certainly work for visiting friends & family.

jorlanm
05-28-2011, 03:56 AM
For more features for the money i say go for a G73sw-A2 or a 3DE... Not only you get a 17.3 " screen but also a hybrid HDD...more performane for the buck...yeAh the VX 7 has a 3GB VRam but realy how much difference can that make on real performance? Not much...that goes the same going from 8GB to 16Gb Ram...on the 3DE again you get a 17.3 screen matte anti glare 120hz...plus you get stereoscopic 3D for $300 less...

ROG Eclipse
05-28-2011, 06:24 AM
@xero, i guess i'm just trying to imagine myself in my future college already, which is what i want it for. In all reality i probably wouldnt be using my laptop for gaming unless i was either A. at a friend's dorm or B. at a lan party as you said. But i'm not even sure. The other thing is, i dont know how frequently i'd be going home. i dont live far from the school but i still want that whole dorming experience and whatnot. So if i have a desktop it would stay at my dorm while i come home for a weekend or something. The laptop i could obviously bring with me. But lets see, what specific thing about a desktop can make it outperform the laptop? is it stuff like dual graphics cards or what?

@jorlanm, i was thinking about the 3DE, alot of games are coming out in 3D and it would be pretty sweet. though i still have a good year before i actually make a large purchase like a laptop/desktop. i just want to prepare myself and truely know what i want until then. So there could be alot of advances in computer tech and other stuff like that. as for the 3d, again, i dont think i'd get along with it too much since i wear glasses. unless its similar to the whole nintendo 3DS concept of no glasses. in which case would be awesome.

jorlanm
05-28-2011, 02:11 PM
But yeah you get moreon the A2 and 3DE for less compared to the VX7 and trust me performance will be the same...

As for the 3D like the 3DS ... The only problem i have with glass free 3D is that the images are 3D but its more like looking on a hologram card, they dont realy pop out of the screen...where as with wearing 3D glasses your eyes trick you that images are comming at you

ROG Eclipse
05-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeahhh thats the problem, i wear glasses to be able to see and i've tried using contacts to no avail. So unless they have 3D glasses to accomidate us vision glasses users, i am at a loss. same goes when i go to watcha movie with friends. if we watch it in 3D i either have to be very uncomfortable with 2 glasses or give up my crystal clear vision. haha. but back to the laptops, isnt there a G74 coming out soon? i would assume its going to have better hardware and probably a 3D model aswell?

Someone on another forum posted this in response to my thread:

"The obvious fact is that the more RAM you have the faster the computer is"........no, not really........you probally would not notice anything different about 8 gigs vs 4 gigs........(unless you are using RAM intensive programs like Video rendering).........and the difference between 1333 vs 1600 is minimal at best

Because you are using a laptop. the diference between the cpu's is price.........as all those cpu's will be able to keep up to a 460 gpu, no sweat.............

don't need 16gigs RAM unless you are crazy like me...........

CACHE.........I explain it like this....your cpu will load "what it thinks" info that you will need right away to get a head start, so to speak, like RAM on you cpu........L1--cpu looks in your hand for the info..............L2--cpu looks in your front pockets for info...............L3--cpu looks in your back pockets for info............when all caches are full it will use your RAM and then HDD.....like looking next door and then in antartica with the HDD

go with the SSD for main boot

bottom line is less RAM, any cpu, the money you save should be put into the GPU cause that is what counts for gaming..........(don't get me wrong, the 460 is a good card)

any thoughts on that? xero?

xeromist
05-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Sounds in line with my opinion. I didn't really address the issue of memory size because you seemed to want it, but yes I would agree that 8GB is plenty for all but the most extreme applications.

On your other point of what makes a desktop faster: Laptops have power supplies that are rated 100-200W for the most part. Desktop power supplies can range up to and beyond 1000W. There is just more power and cooling and space available in a desktop so the desktop counterparts are bigger and more powerful than a laptop. They often use similar naming conventions for mobile parts which is a bit misleading because the performance is not equivalent.

ROG Eclipse
05-28-2011, 06:04 PM
hmm yeah i get what you mean. But all in all, if it comes down to me still sticking with the laptop. my best bet would be the 2720 CPU, the best GPU i can get, and 8GB of ram to be safe? I'm still really curious as to the GPU xoticpc has on their website. 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM is..quite alot yes?

Edit: checked the asus website about..10 seconds after this post, it claims : "Graphic NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460QM with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM " so.. yeah. i've been looking around at vids on youtube n whatnot and alot of people play crysis 2 with high settings with a GPU of only 2Gbs, i think. So 3GB would be plenty to play just about any game on high settings right?

jorlanm
05-28-2011, 06:18 PM
You know what ive never triedmy glasses on using 3D...i put on the nvidia 3D glasses and it seems to be fine...i think they designed these glasses big enough so you can wear regular glasses under them...its cool...

I am not real a big fan of 3D but its nice to play with once in a while...

jorlanm
05-28-2011, 06:22 PM
You know what ive never triedmy glasses on using 3D...i put on the nvidia 3D glasses and it seems to be fine...i think they designed these glasses big enough so you can wear regular glasses under them...its cool...

I am not real a big fan of 3D but its nice to play with once in a while...

Also 3Gb VRamwont realy do much with the bandwith of the 460M...i its heck the 1.5GB is more than enough...

By the time you realy need 3GB Vram its pretty much time to change GPU...

xeromist
05-29-2011, 05:53 AM
hmm yeah i get what you mean. But all in all, if it comes down to me still sticking with the laptop. my best bet would be the 2720 CPU, the best GPU i can get, and 8GB of ram to be safe? I'm still really curious as to the GPU xoticpc has on their website. 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM is..quite alot yes?

Edit: checked the asus website about..10 seconds after this post, it claims : "Graphic NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460QM with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM " so.. yeah. i've been looking around at vids on youtube n whatnot and alot of people play crysis 2 with high settings with a GPU of only 2Gbs, i think. So 3GB would be plenty to play just about any game on high settings right?

Yeah, 3GB is a lot. It probably won't help or hurt you but there's a slight chance it might help when you have an external monitor connected. The main performance ratings would be cores and clock speeds.

ROG Eclipse
05-29-2011, 06:57 PM
hmm right. Too bad they dont go into specifics about that on the specs. What are good cores and clock speeds when it comes to GPU's? like what would be the ideal number of each when it comes to the 3GB of vram?

xeromist
05-30-2011, 06:55 PM
The more the better on cores and clocks. On a mobile platform it's just a limit on heat & power. 3GB is more than enough for any modern card.

ROG Eclipse
05-31-2011, 05:47 PM
hm alright. Just have to wait till its released to really know the specifics about the GPU. Something else i've been considering is getting a laptop with dual GPU's or something. I've come to the conclusion that i NEED a laptop. Desktop wont provide me with what i need. I want that VX7 so bad its ridiculous.

Chastity@ASUS
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
well, if you want one so bad, go for it. An SSD plus the 1866 RAM for the Sandybridge would round it out nicely.

ROG Eclipse
06-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Well see, i WOULD go for it if it was already released :P but it has not. and another thing is that it IS pretty damn pricy..i dont really plan to use it, or really be able to afford it, for a good 10 months or so. pretty much a year. so i kinda wanna wait it out until then to see what kind of new technology is coming out and have my laptop last me the 4 years i need it for college.

jorlanm
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Well here is the thing with PC technology almost every 8 months something new is announced...by the time it comes out youll be waithing for something new again...

My thing is buy something somewhat reasonably future proof...Blu-ray, usb 3.0...then dont spend money on something you dont need...

My thing is with the VX 7...the Difference between the GTX 460m 1.5GBvram to a 3GBvram is pretty much none in performance gain...that memory bandwith wont fill a 3GB space...and as for 16GB RAM...not a lot of software even requires more than 4GB, why? well cause we still have 32-Bit Operating System to support...

By the time you actualy need a 3GB vram and 16GB RAM for games the VX7 wont even run them anymore so whats the point? Bragging rights yes...wasted money yes...

Thats the whole reason I decided to get a G73SW-3DE...It has more features than the VX7...17.3 screen, 120hz refresh, 3D, Hybrid Hard Drive...all for $300 less...

The only thing the VX7 has is the 3GB vram which wont even show a difference on games. yeah it got 1.5TB HDD but thats regular 7200rpm HDD not Hybrid. Oh and yes the VX7 looks nice. But to me its all show no go...

ROG Eclipse
06-02-2011, 09:13 PM
yes yes very true..hmmm..well, what about this G74 thats coming out? i hear its got dual GPU's no? i think that'll definitely be a good investment no?

jorlanm
06-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Its pretty much the same as the G73 except it has a higher clock same core GPU now rebadge as the GTX 560m...I heard its going to be a 3GB vram (But again anything over 1GB is very neglegible difference) ...

Everything the same as the current G7 except for a rebadge GTX460m aka the GTX 560m...12GB DDr1333Mhz Ram...

Which will carry the same price as their G73 counterparts once they start getting replaced...

And yes still using the same HM65 chipset

What Im supprised is that they have a G53 line that will carry a GTX 560m as well, The G53sx...so its a safe bet that you can upgarde current G53 amd G73 with a 560m GPU, how you going to get your hands and a 560m GPU is another story...But hey its good to know you can do it....

and the G53sx is a Naked Eye 3D...yes no glasses...But to me wearing glasses still offer better 3D...

I would keep the G73 asthetics...I prefer it over the G74...The G74 looks more like a protoype hehehe...

ROG Eclipse
06-03-2011, 04:39 AM
So i guess the best thing to do would be to wait for the G74 to come out with pricing and exact/final specs and looks to make my decision. I'm over the VX7, too much money and eh. kinda doesnt seem worth it at this point.

well i posted an edit but apparently it didnt go through. what i said was, wouldnt the 560M have better clock speeds n stuff like that? and wouldnt it outperform the 460M since its a dual GPU?

jorlanm
06-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Specs wise the GTX 560 m is identical to the GTX 460 m ... The only real difference is the increased speed...yes there will be a difference but not that much...

No they are not dual GPU...some times having more does not mean its going to be better. some improvements aee like...if your going to spend money on a dual 560m setup the might as well go for a 485m...makes more sence..a 485m would outperform a dual 560m...

If you dont mind the way yhe G74sx lLooks then id say wait till end of July when it supposed yo come out...

ROG Eclipse
06-03-2011, 06:57 AM
do any of the G laptops or any asus laptops have the 485m?

oh man...i'm looking at these laptop configs with dual 485M's in SLI and its a beautiful thing. it was some sager laptops

so heres my new question i guess: Is it worth upgrading?

From : Dual AMD Radeon HD 6970M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 in crossfire
To : Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 485M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 in SLI
Price Difference: 520 BUCKS!
Yeah i'm assuming the difference is definitely not worth half a grand...lmao but i just wanna hear what ppl got to say about it.

also, the laptop i'm looking at only has the option for 1st gen i7's (i think) the basic one it has is: Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor ( 8MB L3 Cache, 3.20GHz, 4.8GT/sec QPI ) those are the 1st gens right? is it still as good/better than the 2720 for the 2nd gens?

Laptop I'm considering :

Display ------------------------------- 17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card ------------ Dual AMD Radeon HD 6970M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory - Opt out additional AC Adapter & Power Converter Box [$625.00]
CPU Processor ---------------------- Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor ( 8MB L3 Cache, 3.20GHz, 4.8GT/sec QPI )
Thermal Compound ---------------- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$40.00]
Operating System ------------------ Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Memory ------------------------------ 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 3 X 2GB
RAID Storage Options ------------- Non-RAID Storage
Primary Hard Disk Drive ---------- 80GB Intel 320 Series SATA2 Solid State Disk Drive [$135.00]
2nd Hard Disk Drive --------------- 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Secondary Hard Disk Drive [$80.00]
Optical Drive Bay ------------------- Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card ------------ Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
Bluetooth ---------------------------- Internal Bluetooth V2.1 Module
Primary Battery -------------------- Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device ------- Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office -------------------- Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty ---------------------------- 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
Carrying Bag ------------------------ Standard Carrying Bag

Total Price : $3,079 + $47.75 Shipping = $3,126.75

jorlanm
06-03-2011, 12:41 PM
unfortunately no...ASUS dont carry the GTX 485m...because you dont realy need a 485 for majority of games...a lot of the games run fine at max setting on a 460m...

It is not like back 7 years ago or so when even having the most top of the line Video Card cant even run the latest games at max setting...

Todays GPU are so powerful that you only realy need a Mid Range GPU to do the work...which in tern makes PC gamming more affordable now...

ROG Eclipse
06-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Laptop I'm considering :

Display ------------------------------- 17.3" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
Video & Graphics Card ------------ Dual AMD Radeon HD 6970M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory - Opt out additional AC Adapter & Power Converter Box [$625.00]
CPU Processor ---------------------- Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor ( 8MB L3 Cache, 3.20GHz, 4.8GT/sec QPI )
Thermal Compound ---------------- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [$40.00]
Operating System ------------------ Genuine MS Windows® 7 Home Premium 32/64-Bit Edition ( 64-Bit Preloaded )
Memory ------------------------------ 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 3 X 2GB
RAID Storage Options ------------- Non-RAID Storage
Primary Hard Disk Drive ---------- 80GB Intel 320 Series SATA2 Solid State Disk Drive [$135.00]
2nd Hard Disk Drive --------------- 500GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Secondary Hard Disk Drive [$80.00]
Optical Drive Bay ------------------- Optical Drive or Hard Disk Drive in Optical Drive Bay with Caddy case 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Wireless Network Card ------------ Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
Bluetooth ---------------------------- Internal Bluetooth V2.1 Module
Primary Battery -------------------- Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Integrated Security Device ------- Fingerprint Reader
Microsoft Office -------------------- Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included in Price
Warranty ---------------------------- 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
Carrying Bag ------------------------ Standard Carrying Bag

Total Price : $3,079 + $47.75 Shipping = $3,126.75

Would this be a good value and somewhate future-proof?

jorlanm
06-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Nah to me thats to expensive...I would rather spend half that on a descent gamming machine now that will be good for 3 years like the G73...then spend the other half after that for a newer laptop...

I dont see blowing $3000+ all at once for something that will get obsolete in 2 years. In the next 2 years maybe DX12 or some new standard will be out...will it still run games? yes ... but it will only run game on what your hardware was designed for... by then youll be seeing Notebooks that cost half that but can do so much more...

To give you an idea where we were at 2 years ago...

ASUS W90 $2,199 (back then)
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4917&p=2

Pc Mark 05 @ 9056
3D Mark 06 @ 15,628

ASUS G53sw $1499 (now)
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6137&p=3

Pc Mark 05 @ 9797
3D Mark 06 @ 15,649

Thats only in 2 years...a $2200 Dual GPU notebook back in 2009 is just as good as a $1500 Single GPU now.