PDA

View Full Version : soundcards

griggory
10-30-2012, 08:36 AM
what is the best soundcard that i could upgrade my asus g75vw rs72 laptop with, if any? is this even a possibility? i am not enjoying the sound the laptop comes with, and i bought a portable usb audio interface which sounds like garbage as well. please help thanks

ggBanks
10-30-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't think it's possible to upgrade the internal sound card, because the circuit board is a custom size for the internal space of the laptop. You can buy a USB external one though.

griggory
10-30-2012, 08:47 AM
yea i did buy one, they sound like garbage, its almost not worth it. the sound upgrade is miniscule.

PS ive tried two usb audio interfaces. they both sounded worse than an ipod classic.

bignazpwns
10-30-2012, 08:58 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102032

Then get your self some nice klipsch speakers. Listen to some losless audio or its not wort it.

Soundboard on the G55 and G75 are part of the motherboard. Only way to upgrade are with USB or thunderbolt since asus skimped on the ports instead of giving the needed ports required by gaming systems.

griggory
10-30-2012, 09:51 AM
i do have good professoinal studio monitors, and only listening to flacs, but im using hi fi headphones with my lap top, which makes the terrible sound quality a lot more obvious lol. do you think that thing sounds better than this ? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface

which is what i currently am using?

bignazpwns
10-30-2012, 10:40 AM
i do have good professoinal studio monitors, and only listening to flacs, but im using hi fi headphones with my lap top, which makes the terrible sound quality a lot more obvious lol. do you think that thing sounds better than this ? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface

which is what i currently am using?

Should be. Never used it but people say its good. I personally use a HRT Music Streamer II on my macbook air.

Pae.TH
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I also really want soundcard for laptop that support 7.1 or Optical port

Woots
10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Are you doing just gaming? Or you doing real studio audio recording work?

If you need high end audio recording there are plenty of high end usb external sound cards out there in the 200-800 buck range that are really great for pro-sumer.

Try going to guitar center (seems like every major city has one) and go back to studio section and test out all the different ones... You should buy online though after to save cash ... Guitar center over priced unless they try to beat online price (should ask if you like to negotiate)

Off the top of my head M-audio has some decent ones and i think the lil pro-tools windows breakout box is decent too but tethered to protools software only... The m-audio ones usable on any DAW software you use.

griggory
10-30-2012, 08:48 PM
yes its for making music not gaming at all. LOL i bought a 'republic of gamers' lap top for producing music.
thanks for the post i have been researching the more expensive USB interfaces. i just heard someone say that all USB interfaces would sound like crap just because its USB but i dont know if thats true .
right now im leaning towards this. i just need to gain some kind of confirmation that it has great sound. the best option BELOW 500 dollars is what im going for. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR28M/

Woots
10-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Usb interface isnt what is important (other than bandwidth capability which does play a factor... So usb 2-3 prefered)The hardware in the breakout box is where the rubber hits the road with quality.

I been doing studio recording work as a pro-hobby for like 17 years now and most of my friends do this as well. I know a couple guys who exclusively use their laptops with external usb cards and their quality is really good.

At home I have a dedicated pro tools apple box outside my sound booth (I am a fan if pro tools software) .. Not their highest end hardware but it gets job done. Avid actually has a showroom not far from me with a few if their million dollar setups on display... makes me drool.

As far as quality goes (beyond the sound card)...Good mics, good room sound proofing for recording, good pre-amp (avalon 2020 if you can save for one highly recomended makes digital recording work sound so warm) and a great mixing board and set of studio monitors... The laptop as a processing plant is irrelevant...

That steinberg looks like it has enough connects on back to suit basic needs without a board.. And has built un mic pre (not sure if mic pre quality at that low price though) i havent scoped this market in few years do I trust you did your homeeork gor that price point..

O do those xlr jacks have phantom power? If not look into one that does... Not sure what kinda mics you have but all proper studio mics need phantom power

Ps: sorry for typos dumb ipone and slabs of text not good.

Xenos
10-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Hey griggory, I'm also using an ext. USB soundcard.
Bought the g75vw last week together with the ext. I haven't tested the ext soundcard but I'm planning to do it this Saturday (I'm currently away from my laptop). The ext soundcard I bought is this :
Creative Labs USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Audio System SB1090

What did you buy (the one sounded like garbage)?
I might not know how good is 'good' for an audio expert (since I'm just a gamer), but if you're considering the creative x-fi 5.1 maybe I can report back this Saturday....:)

griggory
11-01-2012, 10:12 AM
this is what i got
http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2

ive also used the presonus audiobox usb which was just as bad.

the profire 610 i use on my pc and it is good. leagues better than these.

you probably wont notice any problem with the quality of your interface. i listen to and make music on hi fi monitors and head phones and i can tell when there is a problem. the usb interfaces compared to the firewire one is like going from a flac to a 128 mp3.

Xenos
11-21-2012, 09:49 AM
hey I'm back to report my creative x-fi surround 5.1 pro. Sorry it took so long hahaha:p

I think x-fi 5.1 is good enough for a gamer class. That x-fi keeps me away from the annoying g75 headset bug. I always use the ext soundcard when i plug-in a headset.
There is ONE trouble with this ext usb soundcard tough. The sound is REALLY LOUD when you use headset... at 16 volume level it's already giving you headache, really scary. The volume knob adjusts volume by 5 level per grid, so I've got to use it carefully (not to turn it to fast). I'm still looking for a way to make the 'loudness' normal... and also a way to adjust the volume leveling grid by 1.

Note this: the loudness difference is really significant. Loudness at level 16 of the x-fi pro is equal to level 50-60 of the onboard soundcard.
I don't know if this is a g75vw specific problem... but have anyone ever encountered similar case?