PDA

View Full Version : G74sx/ dh-71 connecting to xb0x 360 for portable gaming????

440hsp
10-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Guys i don't want to get my head bit off for asking this but i have been googling this like crazy but i can't find an answer that fits my paticular needs. I don't need to play xbox live but i have 4 new games that i just don't have time to get into that much when i'm at home due to kids, errands to run, and things that need to be taken care of when i'm at home. I work offshore for a living anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks at a time and it would be awesome if i could carry my rig and my xbox offshore with me to catch up on my gaming on my time off. what would i need to purchase if anything and what would i need to do to get everything working. Guys i would appreciate some help here. Thanks in advance.

cl-scott
10-31-2012, 12:57 AM
For the most part, this just isn't going to be possible. You'd need some kind of video input device, and those are going to generally necessitate some kind of lag. So there could be anywhere from a half second to 2-3 second delay between the time something happens in the game, and it's reflected on the screen. That's going to make it rather untenable for gaming.

You'd probably be better off looking for some kind of portable TV that can accept an HDMI input.

Sinless
10-31-2012, 01:01 AM
I know this is an Asus forum, but here i go, take a look at Alienware m17x and m18x models, they both have an HDMI input, and yes, you can play with your console.

440hsp
10-31-2012, 02:10 AM
So there isnt a video input that i can purchase to make this work without lag?

440hsp
10-31-2012, 04:08 AM
So guys i have been looking all over the place and found a few options that might work. Using an external video capture card like the easy cap 2.0 usb card. Or could i use a vga adapter to hdmi to get it to work? Really need something to work because i was just told i might be spending a month offshore. I know this isn't a hot topic here but is there someone here that has tried this?

cl-scott
10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
So guys i have been looking all over the place and found a few options that might work. Using an external video capture card like the easy cap 2.0 usb card. Or could i use a vga adapter to hdmi to get it to work? Really need something to work because i was just told i might be spending a month offshore. I know this isn't a hot topic here but is there someone here that has tried this?

I've seen a few "gaming edition" capture cards. Presumably they have minimal lag, though I can't say as I've looked into them to any great detail.

Honestly though, given the bulk of even a slim 360, why not just rent a TV or something when you get to wherever it is you're going? Alternately, assuming you know where you'll be staying well in advance, you could just buy a small cheap TV, maybe 24" tops. Keep the original packaging, and then just ship it, along with your 360 via FedEx/UPS so that it's waiting for you when you arrive. Then you just pack it all back up again and send it off a day or two before you're set to leave so that it arrives at your home around the same time you get back.

440hsp
10-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks cl scott for your reply. I work offshore and move from structure to structure just about everyday so i have to carry what i use. Clothes, laptop and accessories in my rog backpack. I was going to purchase a different backpack i.e. everki titan to carry my laptop and xbox and accessories and then my clothes bag. The main thing is i live offshore for 6 months out of the year away from my family. I work what they call seven on and seven off. Wanted to make this happen so i can have somethingto help pass the time. I'm also looking into a device made by blackmagic and it claims full hd but the thing is for me i'm not worried about recording video. I just want to play my xbox. :( i dont need online play either.

440hsp
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Guys i have found a cable that xbox offers. It is a hd vga adapter cable. It will plug into my vga port on my g74 from the xbox 360. It is stated that when plugged in to the vga port the computer should switch to vga mode and i should be able to play through my rig's screen in hd. Just wondering if this sounds like it would work? Any input would be appreciated.

440hsp
11-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Nevermind. Thanks anyway