PDA

View Full Version : G46VW with 1366x768 = #epicfail

TSC-Ops
10-31-2012, 02:44 PM
really? 1366x768 at least could have gone with 1600x900

thats like putting a muzzle on a guard dog. curious who the idiot is who thought that resolution would be a gamers choice?

not to bright Asus.

http://rog.asus.com/notebook/14-2/g46vw/

Rayearth
10-31-2012, 02:48 PM
It's a 14 inch laptop. What did you expect?

chrsplmr
10-31-2012, 03:16 PM
I think the point of the G46 was to be Faster, Smarter, Stronger, Longer.
All ROG, Game and Go. For everything else there exists Desktops, portable or otherwise.

With All due respect, let's be patient, soon someone will actually use one.

Although imho, by adding a question mark at the end of this Threads Title it
makes an excellent starting point for discussion, pro and con.c.

StereoROG
10-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Agree with chrsplmr make it as a discussion not just a judgement with all due respect to your opinion.

Also 768 makes it above 720 p which is considered as HD plus on a 14 inch that's what the market is offering usually.

I'm convinced that ASUS is putting there energy in offering good built laptops with excellent cooling systems sorry if i'm off subject now.

Cheers,

john_from_ohio
10-31-2012, 07:50 PM
I saw somewhere ( sorry forget where ) something in the G46 that additional resolutions may be available eventually ...

If you want the machine but find the initial resolution offered un-acceptable then wait it out ...

Guessing that some of the custom shops may replace displays with other options at a premium price.

TSC-Ops
10-31-2012, 08:26 PM
It's a 14 inch laptop. What did you expect?

1600x900

even sony can make a 13" with that resolution thats not a performance laptop

dclanz
10-31-2012, 08:48 PM
All in all, this is what ASUS/ROG's idea of what a 14" gaming laptop should be like and if we find it lacking we should recommend and not criticize. Besides, it's not like they didn't hear the call for 1600x900, it's coming at a later date. It's good that they are providing configuration options, because each of us have our own tastes and preferences but right now I just want to be able to place my order. I'll take it with the default specs (1366x768 resolution included) because right now the G46VW kicks the crap out of anything in the same category! :P

chrsplmr
10-31-2012, 10:45 PM
And less 'we' forget that the 'first' offering is 'exclusively' .. BestBuy-bbk's.
Is there a 1920x1080 on the horizon ... or even higher ??
Did I not read that Google Nexus 10 bested Apple's Retina ??

I think we are in for a treat and this is just the first taste.

ForCeV
11-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Hmn, a little disappointed, but 660m will perform very nice because of less resolution. This will work Maximum settings for crisis2 with 60FPS. :cool:

WontonNoodle
11-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Yeah the resolution is a definite bummer. 1600x900 or even 1080p would be great. Especially since the new macbook 13 incher is 2560 x 1600.

_
11-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Newer Macbook is $1300 though. ;)

Higher resolution panels are to come in the future for the G46 series.

dclanz
11-01-2012, 02:34 AM
Newer Macbook is $1300 though. ;).

*Cough* Are you saying that the spanking new G46VW costs less (somewhere less than $1300 to be exact) than a Macbook? :D

_
11-01-2012, 02:58 AM
*Cough* Are you saying that the spanking new G46VW costs less (somewhere less than $1300 to be exact) than a Macbook? :D

I bloody well hope so! But thinking about it.. SSD, quad core and and 660M might push the budget. The dual core (same as Macbook) should be respectively cheaper though.

bignazpwns
11-01-2012, 04:40 AM
Well on these forums we have way to many fanboys its kinda like the mac forums.

The price is going to put the system in direct competition with the Alienware M14X with pretty much the same performance. However as we all know Dell support kill's Asus's attempt at what they think is support.

I dont see why people are expecting 1600X900 displays. When has a G series ever been state of the art? They never have and never will. They always been very plain and what i consider the Amish of notebooks. Could they have fit more in the G series? Oh yeah these things have so much wasted room in them its not funny.

Now lets look at a system a friend of mine just got. A Dell XPS 12. A 12.5 inch rocking a 1080p 400nit display. Yeah i know graphics its not all that good HD4000 but don't forget its a ultrabook. Personally on a "Gaming" system there is no reason on a 14inch to not have a 1600X900 display. I highly doubt Asus went ahead and used a premium display on the G45 so the picture is going to look bad and i mean it barley beats my phones res. 720 on phones is all to common now.

Back in the day i was a strong G series supporter. I mean i7 and mobile HD 5870 at the price they were sold was crazy. But over the series they got progressively less powerful compared to competition and the price climbed.

But one thing most people fail to the the G series is not for hardcore gamers. They would never buy the systems as the specs are much to low. I mean people buy into the Asus marketing where they make the G75 and G55 the best gaming systems ever when they just simply cant hang with real systems but fanboys will tell you that they are the best ever just like the mac fan boys tell you about macs and the Glock fan boys tell you about Glocks.

They are what they are. Very plain. But fan boys will tell you that the G75 is the god of the gaming world and the G55 is the Jesus and the new G45 is the new messiah of gaming.

maoli
11-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah the resolution is a definite bummer. 1600x900 or even 1080p would be great. Especially since the new macbook 13 incher is 2560 x 1600.

LOL! Yeah, and they paid for it by going from12-22 Watt nVidia GPUs to a 45-50W GPU! I can only imagine the tantrums they threw when they realized how much juice it's gonna take to push their precious retina display:D

Anyway, personally I'd choose good quality pixels over more pixels. I thought we learned that lesson during the megapixel war. (More pixels not equal to better photos...)

bignazpwns
11-01-2012, 11:21 AM
LOL! Yeah, and they paid for it by going from12-22 Watt nVidia GPUs to a 45-50W GPU! I can only imagine the tantrums they threw when they realized how much juice it's gonna take to push their precious retina display:D

Anyway, personally I'd choose good quality pixels over more pixels. I thought we learned that lesson during the megapixel war. (More pixels not equal to better photos...)

Very true its all about the pixel size and type of lcd. however that res is way to low. Match it with a matt display and there will be no way you can get sharp images. a 1600X900 ips display would of been ideal for the 14 inch version.

pillowpants
11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Newer Macbook is $1300 though. ;)

Higher resolution panels are to come in the future for the G46 series.

Is the notebook delayed until December to add the higher res panels? Will Best Buy carry these models?

chrsplmr
11-01-2012, 01:06 PM
FanBoys ??? Here ??? NoWay !!! Which laptops are 'top perfomers' @ the Gseries price points ??? hmmmm ???
There are far more 'real hard core gamers' that cant afford to shell out $5 Grand ...
those that can still get their nonROGbutts whipped.
Ferrari's are great .. but it will never catch one determined redNeck in a DodgeBeater through the mountains. Never.
Now if you want to compare them on a 'glass smooth' track [[benching]] the Ferrari blows the Dodge away and
for the Price, it should but there is more to theGame than stats and going in circles.
I think, without actually having touched it, that the G series hits the exact place a ROGgamer needs, somewhere
between the Dodge and the Ferrari. Stronger,Smarter .. Longer, 'really' Portable.

btw .. 'Real Hard-Core Big-Bucks Gamers' would consider any laptop just a 'standby'.imho.
Retina enabled Mac ? Good luck 'Gaming' on that.

I think a conversation needs to be had at some point of whether such hi resolutions on smaller and
smaller screens is a healthy 'eye'dea in the first place .. even though 'we' think 'we' NEED them.

.. no offense to any, just an opinion.c.

maoli
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
a 1600X900 ips display would of been ideal for the 14 inch version.

In theory I wholeheartedly agree. But I don't think a panel like that exists in the real world unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure laptop screens are made by cutting up larger sheets just like CPUs and Gpus are done on wafers. I'm also guessing (doing some crude Pythagorean math in my head) that a 14" 1600x900 screen would be made from the same "sheet" that is used to make 15.6" 1920x1080 screen. IF this is true (like I said, I'm guessing) you can see why it might be a problem:

a) There are hardly any 15.6" 1920x1080 laptops on the market. That means the panel prices must be relatively high.

b) As far as IPS goes, I don't think anyone makes a 15.6" IPS screen. And even if they do, I don't think you can find 'em in an off-the-shelf laptop.

RPXZ
11-01-2012, 04:44 PM
You guys complaining about the g46 resolution are ridiculous. Since asus is sticking with the 660m the res will be PERFECT for gaming. I wouldn't complain to much consider you will be able to get max/ultra setting on most games at that res.

Pikapichu
11-01-2012, 06:51 PM
A 1080p option is coming according to the website, we just have to be patient. Asus is no stranger to making small 1080p screens. Take a look at their higher end tablets and 13" Zenbook Prime notebooks for example.

RPXZ
11-01-2012, 06:53 PM
A 1080p option is coming according to the website, we just have to be patient. Asus is no stranger to making small 1080p screens. Take a look at their higher end tablets and 13" Zenbook Prime notebooks for example.

Correct. My fiance has a 1080p zenbook. Beautiful screen. Seems much better than whats on the G series laptops.

Shawnnepc
11-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I can bet it was done to fit into Best Buy's margin scheme.

jdotjdot7
11-01-2012, 07:40 PM
You people and your resolution. The surface Tablet has a 1366x768 Screen res, and its display is sharper than the retina display ipad which has higher than 1080. Why? RESOLUTION MAJORILLY DOES NOT MATTER. There is NO difference from 720P and 1080P unless you are sitting around 10-12 inches away from your monitor. Your eyes cannot perceive the difference. The only thing it would benefit is desktop space which if you are buying a 14 inch, what does it matter anyways. Think about it like this. The G46 will outperform the G75 and G55 because if it has the same card, that card will have to work less to produce the same image giving you a more powerful laptop that is also portable. I'll say it again, RESOLUTION DOES NOT MATTER UNLESS YOU VIEW YOUR SCREEN FROM LESS THAN 1 FT AWAY.

chrsplmr
11-01-2012, 09:12 PM
The 'resolution' war is in it's infancy.
Engadget spotted the Series 9 WQHD ultra-portable (http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/samsung-Series 9-WQHD-Ultrabook-matte-display/) squeezing a very impressive 2,560x1,440 resolution into just a 13-inch screen.

jdotjdot7 - "RESOLUTION DOES NOT MATTER UNLESS YOU VIEW YOUR SCREEN FROM LESS THAN 1 FT AWAY."-
I respectfully disagree.
but -- spot on with performance .. for some it's about the game .. others, the shine of the armor.

I stand on the super hi def .. perfect hologram / half room... yep .. that won't fit in a laptop .. hehe ..
or will it ?

Liquidus
11-02-2012, 07:14 AM
You people and your resolution. The surface Tablet has a 1366x768 Screen res, and its display is sharper than the retina display ipad which has higher than 1080. Why? RESOLUTION MAJORILLY DOES NOT MATTER. There is NO difference from 720P and 1080P unless you are sitting around 10-12 inches away from your monitor. Your eyes cannot perceive the difference. The only thing it would benefit is desktop space which if you are buying a 14 inch, what does it matter anyways. Think about it like this. The G46 will outperform the G75 and G55 because if it has the same card, that card will have to work less to produce the same image giving you a more powerful laptop that is also portable. I'll say it again, RESOLUTION DOES NOT MATTER UNLESS YOU VIEW YOUR SCREEN FROM LESS THAN 1 FT AWAY.

There is a difference. A huge one. A completely HUGE difference. One being yes, 1080p+ will obviously offer more details in games, videos, etc. It will, hands down. On any display.

Second, the biggest one for me is that there will be FAR MORE screen real estate, so I can manage more windows, and have more stuff on the screen.

Resolution does make a difference, and there's not only a significant differents from 1080p to 720p, but also from 1440p to 1080p, on any screen above 10inches.

_
11-02-2012, 07:19 AM
I can bet it was done to fit into Best Buy's margin scheme.

I would suspect this. Best Buy often stocks the cheapest version of our G series as its customers greatly weigh on the value angle. They are very good partners to us and we're confident the G46VW will be extremely popular with its particular audience on the merit of every other feature. ;)

However, most of our forum members here are target markets of our other partners who are likely waiting for stock of the higher grade LCD options.

G series appeals to many TAs.

We do definitely know higher ppi LCDs are in demand - the Zenbook/Tablet ranges are evidence of this - and I'm confident it'll become more and more a launch feature as prices come down and thanks to Win 8, which handles high ppi muuuuuuch better than Win 7.

cheek
11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
i am suprised many actually defended the notion of low resolution.
in an age where smartphones and tablet's processor and screen resolution can rival that of a low end laptop, why is a top end gaming machine running at a such a low resolution? the arguement that games can run better frame rates at smaller resolution is fundamentally flawed. fact is one should have a native good resolution screen. whether to run graphic intensive game at a lower resolution to garner better frame rates and so increase the gaming experiences is totally up to the user.
having said that i doubt 1366 is gonna be the g46 final resolution. almost all midrange and above GPU can handle resolution higher than that. and the price difference of a higher resolution screen is not that great.

https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/ByVPmsSeSEG
saw this recently somewhere.
FYI Linus Torvalds is the creator of Linux.
and i echo his point that 1366 is so 'last century'

Pae.TH
11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
G46 GPU upgradable?

chrsplmr
11-03-2012, 07:29 PM
The G75/G55 are not .. so, I'd be guessing, but, No.
Not since G73 and before.

I do love the question though. The G46 isn't even out yet .. and 'guyz' wanna know if the
GPU can be upgraded ... hahhahha ... ROGon.c.

EDIT to Below::: Yep, what they said.

Shawnnepc
11-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I would suspect this. Best Buy often stocks the cheapest version of our G series as its customers greatly weigh on the value angle. They are very good partners to us and we're confident the G46VW will be extremely popular with its particular audience on the merit of every other feature. ;)

However, most of our forum members here are target markets of our other partners who are likely waiting for stock of the higher grade LCD options.

G series appeals to many TAs.

We do definitely know higher ppi LCDs are in demand - the Zenbook/Tablet ranges are evidence of this - and I'm confident it'll become more and more a launch feature as prices come down and thanks to Win 8, which handles high ppi muuuuuuch better than Win 7.

That's what I figured.

I'm just wondering if Best Buy will have exclusive rights of ALL the G46 series or if they're just a launch partner.

I guess it depends on how the contract was written and if Best Buy put any money towards the development.

_
11-04-2012, 02:14 AM
I don't know sorry - that's for you to negotiate/nag/cuss/cry at with our US office ;)

Reb00t
09-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Any ideas when this model will be updated with haswell and 700m gpu?