PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Pro or Orion

nieee
11-01-2012, 02:57 PM
hey guys, i was going to buy the Vulcan Pro but then i noticed there's a new headset which is The Orion. it looks cool and sleek but different from vulcan pro,it doesnt have an ANC. so what go you guys think of Vulcan Pro? iis it good? or the orion is better?

dedaciai
11-01-2012, 07:19 PM
hey guys, i was going to buy the Vulcan Pro but then i noticed there's a new headset which is The Orion. it looks cool and sleek but different from vulcan pro,it doesnt have an ANC. so what go you guys think of Vulcan Pro? iis it good? or the orion is better?

IMHO, it would be hard to tell right now since the Orion is not out yet with any legit reviews. I would wait till some reviews come out.

nieee
11-02-2012, 01:16 AM
oh yeah, i'll wait for some reviews.i heard orion is already in the market?

Myk SilentShadow
11-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Officially it's released on Friday, but apparently some retailers decided to launch early lol

nieee
11-02-2012, 01:59 AM
lol what do you guys think of Vulcan Pro so far? who got it?

dedaciai
11-02-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't have the Vulcan Pro, but I do have the Vulcan.

The Vulcan works GREAT for gaming and is average on the music and movie end of things. You will need to play with the equalizers to get it to sound better in music and movies. The soft ear cushions block out a ton of sound (my wife has to basically scream at me to get my attention and that is with the ANC off since I can't use ANC as it makes me nauseous).

IMO, the Vulcan Pro is would be great for people who game on a laptop mostly or don't have a dedicated sound card.

nieee
11-02-2012, 11:39 AM
nice to hear that. my main point buying an headset is for gaming. the design on the Orion is way better than the vulcan,imo and it will look nice wearing it outdoor. i have the orion will have a case and detachable cable. and plus the ANC on the vulcan look like a worth it product

Darkflame
11-03-2012, 12:32 AM
I own the Orion Pros, been using them for a good few hours now.

Managed to get these from a British retailer who is selling the headsets a week or so early.

I can't compare it to the Vulcan's as i don't own a pair, they looked absolutely dreadful and online reviews say the active noise cancelling was detrimental to the sound quality and that the passive noise isolation was enough so i decided to go with the stylish looking Orion's instead :)

Here's my impressions of the Orion Pro so far:

So far the impressions have been highly positive.

The headphones are the most comfortable i've ever worn, however my ears do get warm after 10 minutes of use, not sweaty, just warm but i guess this simply cannot be avoided with ear pads that create a seal to block out noise (the main reason i got the headset).

The sound quality for games and music is superb and easily beat my Turtlebeech PX5's, the only sound aspect that lets this model down is the bass.

Whilst the bass is not particularly strong, it's not pathetically weak either, fine by me personally because i don't listen to heavy bass songs anyway.

The headset is very light (50g+ lighter than the Vulcan model) and the headband is very soft so after 3 hours of wearing the headset i have felt no pain on the top of my bald head so far.

My biggest grape with the headset is that the cable is not detachable yet the Asus Vulcan's is, i know the Orion isn't meant to be a 'high end' product but for something that has been designed to be more portable, fixing the cable to the device is a step backwards in my opinion.

Still the included 2.5m braided cable is very light and with the included cable tidy should make it easy enough to manage outside of the house, it still means that the cable / connection is not replaceable if it ever gets damaged through normal wear and tear.

This model is 20% cheaper than the Asus Vulcan Pro, thus it doesn't feature Active Noise Cancelling (which the majority of online reviews say is terrible to have on during gaming / listening to music anyway) and it doesn't have an included travel case.

It's a shame it doesn't come with a case as these headphones have clearly been designed to be far more portable than the Vulcan's and are stylish enough to use outside of the home.

Whilst the included Spitfire USB adapter adds power and different useful effects to the headset, it has its flaws.

Plugging the microphone into it resulted in absolutely diabolical microphone performance.

This was resolved by plugging the mic directly into my sound card and i've gone from sounding like i'm in a fishbowl to being told i've never sounded clearer.

Another issue with the adapter is background noise; to remove a lot of background static from the headset whilst plugged into the spitfire (when voice chatting, not music / game playing) the volume in Windows 7 has to be lowered to 66%.

It's still plenty loud, and if you plug the head directly into a sound card you can bring this up to 100% with no increase in background noise (although the sound quality will not be as good unless you have a decent sound card).

That's all i have to say about this model so far, i'll update this 'first impression' review as time goes by.

I look forward to trying these out over the weekend :D

Area 66
11-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Any idea if NewEgg will get them ? , or from where else I can order them ?

dedaciai
11-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Hey Darkflame,

Nice review of the Orions. Personally, I can't use ANC since it makes me nauseous, but I find the soft ear cushions alone are enough. Sometime in the near future, I would like to compare the Orions to the Vulcans see how the sound compares. With regards to bass, the Vulcans have plenty which is where the problem lies in the movies and music department which is why I have to play with the equalizers to give them some balance. In any case, they are awesome in games and have great positional audio.

Darkflame
11-03-2012, 01:49 AM
If i could afford to do or could be bothered, i would of ordered the Vulcan's as well just to compare, i might still do so.

It's just a pain having to RMA stuff back.

I haven't done much with the headset so far to be honest, just played a few games of Borderlands 2, tried lots of different genres of music, and used Team Speak 3 for a few hours.

I plan to watch a few movies and do more tests over the weekend :)

dedaciai
11-03-2012, 10:34 AM
If i could afford to do or could be bothered, i would of ordered the Vulcan's as well just to compare, i might still do so.

It's just a pain having to RMA stuff back.

I haven't done much with the headset so far to be honest, just played a few games of Borderlands 2, tried lots of different genres of music, and used Team Speak 3 for a few hours.

I plan to watch a few movies and do more tests over the weekend :)

If you do get a chance to compare the two post back with your thoughts. I'd like hear how they compare in both perform in games and music. I'd like to try some Orions on where I live, but I don't think there is a single shop that will let you try them on and play music or games. :/

Darkflame
11-03-2012, 12:12 PM
lol, the Orion is listed under 'Audio Cards' in the Asus Registration list.

Whilst technically the Orion Pro does come with a sound card, it would make a lot more sense if Asus dropped the word 'Card' from the title and just had it as 'Audio'.

I initially looked for it under peripherals & accessories but 'Audio' would be easier for people to guess.

Update on the headset, it's a pleasure to use whilst watching movies, i just watched 3 bond films and i didn't think the bass was over powering.

nieee
11-04-2012, 12:38 AM
lol, the Orion 2 is listed under 'Audio Cards' in the Asus Registration list.

Whilst technically the Orion 2 Pro does come with a sound card, it would make a lot more sense if Asus dropped the word 'Card' from the title and just had it as 'Audio'.

I initially looked for it under peripherals & accessories but 'Audio' would be easier for people to guess.

Update on the headset, it's a pleasure to use whilst watching movies, i just watched 3 bond films and i didn't think the bass was over powering.

there's an orion 2? o.O

Darkflame
11-04-2012, 02:01 AM
there's an orion 2? o.O

No, just a typo on my end.

nieee
11-04-2012, 02:11 AM
No, just a typo on my end.

oh lol :D so whats the cons of the Orion? just the Mic?

Darkflame
11-04-2012, 02:24 AM
No, the mics wonderful, it's retractable (sounds crystal clear my friends say) and it doesn't pick up any background noise what so ever if you a) have the mic close to your mouth and b) lower the mics volume to 5%.

I use Team Speak daily and have it broadcast voice by detecting my voice rather than push to speak, so it's important to me that my gaming buddies only hear my voice and no one elses.

To get the above excellent results i had to plug the mic jack directly into my PC sound device instead of the Spitfire adapter which seem to ruin the whole voice chat experience.

So i have the Spitfire adapter on top of my pc with the audio jack from the headphones plugged into it, and the mic jack plugged into the front mic port of my PC (a hybrid setup you could call it).

The only downside i can find to this headset is the bass.

It's there, the speakers vibrate during explosions and all, i'm just use to better bass that's all, it's no big deal to me personally but it would be to someone who likes dubstep etc :)

My ears have even got use to the ear cups, i've worn them all day today with no discomfort what so ever.

Now if only they did these in a dual wireless / cable version, now that would be something :D

nieee
11-04-2012, 06:03 AM
haha to me,bass is not a problem cause as long i can hear the bass its fine :D how many percent does the noise reduce if you wear it?

Darkflame
11-04-2012, 02:25 PM
haha to me,bass is not a problem cause as long i can hear the bass its fine :D how many percent does the noise reduce if you wear it?

It's pretty hard to measure using a sound metre to be honest because i would have to own a sound metre small enough to fit in with my ear as the cups create a seal and even then i would need a way of reading the measurement whilst it is enclosed.

Personally i don't know if the 30 decibel reduction is a correct measurement.

Talking from the stand point of having the headphones on the ears without any sound being played through them. To sum it up, it blocks out certain low level background noises such as fans and other peoples typing (which is what i wanted anyway so i'm pretty happy with the noise isolation part of it).

But you can still hear the tv, your own and other peoples voices etc, to block those out you would either need to be having sound coming through the headphones at high volumes or have Active Noise Cancellation enabled in which you would have to buy another headset.

To be honest i was hoping that there wouldn't be any sound leakage at decent volumes on this model, so i could use it on public transport but unfortunately there still is, so that's the another thing i would say is a letdown to this headset (although to be fair, it's not advertised as being sound leak proof so i can't really hold it again ASUS).

I'm not sure if the Vulcans have sound leakage, it would be interesting to know if they do or not.

In all these years i have yet to find a headset that doesn't leak sound at decent volumes.

nieee
11-05-2012, 10:24 AM
oh yes,sound leakage is very important to me. i got a steelseries headsed,the siberia v1 i think and when i play music or gaming,the sound leaked even tho my volume is not set to high. it was about 60% i think. so i want a headset that will not leak sound.

Darkflame
11-06-2012, 12:22 AM
I'd say the sound leakage with the Orion is 30%, i'd prefer 0% though :)

Speaking of Steelseries, i nearly purchased one of their wireless headsets as reviews said they were excellent in every way (at least for consoles), but then it was revealed the mic didn't work on the PC, what a bummer!

I hate the fact PC is neglected now a days :(

nieee
11-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I'd say the sound leakage with the Orion is 30%, i'd prefer 0% though :)

Speaking of Steelseries, i nearly purchased one of their wireless headsets as reviews said they were excellent in every way (at least for consoles), but then it was revealed the mic didn't work on the PC, what a bummer!

I hate the fact PC is neglected now a days :(

30% is better than 100% :p

Darkflame
11-06-2012, 10:32 AM
30% is better than 100% :p

Yup but still not good enough to not annoy people with my loud rock music on the train.

The life long quest for a 100% leak proof set of headphones continues! :)

I really want to know if the Vulcans are 100% leak proof at high volumes, because if they are, i'll probably grab a set and ignore the fact i'll look like an idiot wearing them out in public :p

nieee
11-06-2012, 11:20 AM
hahaha rock on dude! :D
sometimes the Vulcan do look nice...sometimes

Darkflame
11-06-2012, 11:25 AM
hahaha rock on dude! :D
sometimes the Vulcan do look nice...sometimes

A side from looks and the weight, another thing that puts me off buying a pair to test is the negative user reviews on amazon.co.uk.

Maybe it was just a certain batch but there are a number of similar user reviews saying the build quality of the Vulcans is poor and that their headsets starting breaking down after only a month :(

nieee
11-06-2012, 12:28 PM
awh man! that's suck! i thought it would not have any problem. hmm..i'll wait for ppl's review on the Orion.

Darkflame
11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm sure the youtube video reviews will be up soon enough, i was thinking of doing one myself but i only have the Turtlebeech Earforce PX5's to compare them to.

Ideally who ever reviews the Orions should own a pair of Vulcans to directly compare the two.

nieee
11-06-2012, 01:51 PM
i've been searching orion's review video almost everyday and hoping to catch one lol.

Darkflame
11-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I usually investigate my future purchases extensively before i actually part with my money, amazon / new egg user reviews, professional critic reviews, youtube reviews, then from all that, make up my own darn mind, there is currently nothing on the Orions.

So i took a real chance, thankfully so far i haven't been disappointed.

I have them in my work bag now, ready to use on my walk home in the cold :)

nieee
11-07-2012, 10:09 AM
i do the same thing also :D making sure its worth the money lol

ItsDanK
11-08-2012, 12:23 AM
i've been searching orion's review video almost everyday and hoping to catch one lol.

I may have time to do one for you and I've already taken them home to test.

My initial impressions are that they have very decent sound although they don't seem to be as comfortable as the Vulcan Pro's and don't seem to have as much passive noise cancellation. Granted, if sound quality is VERY important to you then get the Orions but in terms of a headset I'd be more likely to use out and about, I'd be getting the Vulcans.

The passive noise cancellation on the Vulcans is beyond impressive and in many instances, you wouldn't need the ANC because the passive is just that good. Don't get me wrong though, the Orions do what they do very well, it's not pretending to be anything other than a gaming headset and as a gaming headset they are amongst some of the best I've tried.

Darkflame
11-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the information dank.

I'm curious about sound leakage on the vulcan's, are they as good at keeping sound im as they are keeping it out?

No one has mentioned this information in all the reviews i've read online.

Cheers

Darkflame

ItsDanK
11-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the information dank.

I'm curious about sound leakage on the vulcan's, are they as good at keeping sound im as they are keeping it out?

No one has mentioned this information in all the reviews i've read online.

Cheers

Darkflame

To be honest I haven't experienced any leakage but from the sounds of it there may be an easy fix software side. It's not sound leaking in, its the microphone relaying sound into the headsets causing feedback (unless I have been reading the thread wrong).

Darkflame
11-08-2012, 07:19 AM
I'm referring to noise escaping the headset :)

I'm looking for a headset i can use on public transport and not annoy others with my music.

nieee
11-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I may have time to do one for you and I've already taken them home to test.

coolio dude! :D inform me when u already posted it :D

Darkflame
11-23-2012, 09:09 PM
I now own both the Vulcan and the Orion (received my Vulcan's today), whilst the Vulcan's definitely have more passive noise isolation, the Orion's dominate the Vulcan's in the music department.

I've only done an hour of comparison so far but without a shadow of a doubt, the Orion's are louder, clearer, crisper and just so damn awesome when combined with a sound card with a built in headphone AMP.

As for the bass, i think they are pretty equal, not too over bearing, simply 'just right'.

The Orion's are also a lot better in the comfort department, on my big ass ears anyway.

The Vulcan's are fine and all but the Orion's are lighter, wider around the ears and generally less tighter on the head / ears.

I'm going to test gaming in a bit and note the differences.

The one thing i have worked out is the Spitfire USB adapter is CRAP, maybe i just have a dodgy unit but it has a lot of static and noise interference at high volumes (tried 2 pcs).

I didn't buy the Vulcan Pro version as the only difference is the Spitfire unit which i already had, so saved myself some money, but it also means i don't have a 2nd unit for comparison.

This static / noise problem doesn't occur with my sound card (even at 100% volume), i use the Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card with built in Headphone Amp.

This sound card only set me back 17, the Orions with adapter is 20 dearer than without, so if you plan on using the Orions with a PC, it's much better just to get the Orion headset on its own and buy an Asus Xonar sound card.

nieee
11-24-2012, 11:46 AM
wow thats a fantastic review :D so the winner is the vulcan!
btw,is the 7.1 noticeable when using the spitfire? cause im using my laptop most of the time

Darkflame
11-24-2012, 01:47 PM
wow thats a fantastic review :D so the winner is the vulcan!
btw,is the 7.1 noticeable when using the spitfire? cause im using my laptop most of the time

If it's comfort and outstanding sound quality you're after, the Orion's win, if you're after a headset that is ideal to use both inside and outside the home, then the Vulcan's are more ideal.

The Vulcan's would be better if you were in a noisy environment and wanted more passive noise isolation but when the sound is coming through both sets at high volumes, you can't hear anything from the outside anyway.

Like all the online user reviews have already stated, the Active Noise Cancellation is pants. Sure it doubles the isolation (not to the point of complete silence, i can still hear people talk to me if there is no sound being played) it just ruins the sound quality so i would only use this feature if studying or a workman is working heavy machinery outside my home or something, lol

It is pointless to be honest as the passive noise isolation combined with music is enough to drown out all outside sound.

Like mentioned earlier, the Vulcan's are better for on the move as they fold, have a removable cable and come with a carry case where's the Orion's do not.

They also leak less sound, looks wise, they are not as bad as i perceived from the online photos so i will be using them during winter on my daily commute.

Asus stated the Orion's were designed to be a budget gaming headset as opposed to the Vulcan's which is suppose to be their premium gaming headset, it's a shame they did this as i would of happily paid the same price for the Orion's if they had featured the Vulcan's removable cable and folding hinges features.

The price difference between them is a mere 20 in the UK thus i'd happily pay that for above named features and for an included carry case.

The Orion's are better looking, more comfortable, lighter, have 50mm drivers compared to the Vulcan's 40 and have the best mic one could ask for, so if they can combine both headsets into next years model, i would happily snap that up for a reasonable price.

In regards to gaming, i'm trying to setup 2 machines to run the same games at the same time so i can have an ear from each headset on to see which one performs better.

In regards to the Spitfire and virtual 7.1, you don't notice it with music, that music i know, i will let you know about the gaming / movie results hopefully sometime tomorrow :)

scoiexx
11-26-2012, 11:29 AM
If it's comfort and outstanding sound quality you're after, the Orion's win, if you're after a headset that is ideal to use both inside and outside the home, then the Vulcan's are more ideal.

The Vulcan's would be better if you were in a noisy environment and wanted more passive noise isolation but when the sound is coming through both sets at high volumes, you can't hear anything from the outside anyway.

Like all the online user reviews have already stated, the Active Noise Cancellation is pants. Sure it doubles the isolation (not to the point of complete silence, i can still hear people talk to me if there is no sound being played) it just ruins the sound quality so i would only use this feature if studying or a workman is working heavy machinery outside my home or something, lol

It is pointless to be honest as the passive noise isolation combined with music is enough to drown out all outside sound.

Like mentioned earlier, the Vulcan's are better for on the move as they fold, have a removable cable and come with a carry case where's the Orion's do not.

They also leak less sound, looks wise, they are not as bad as i perceived from the online photos so i will be using them during winter on my daily commute.

Asus stated the Orion's were designed to be a budget gaming headset as opposed to the Vulcan's which is suppose to be their premium gaming headset, it's a shame they did this as i would of happily paid the same price for the Orion's if they had featured the Vulcan's removable cable and folding hinges features.

The price difference between them is a mere 20 in the UK thus i'd happily pay that for above named features and for an included carry case.

The Orion's are better looking, more comfortable, lighter, have 50mm drivers compared to the Vulcan's 40 and have the best mic one could ask for, so if they can combine both headsets into next years model, i would happily snap that up for a reasonable price.

In regards to gaming, i'm trying to setup 2 machines to run the same games at the same time so i can have an ear from each headset on to see which one performs better.

In regards to the Spitfire and virtual 7.1, you don't notice it with music, that music i know, i will let you know about the gaming / movie results hopefully sometime tomorrow :)

Hey Dark, Did you manage to find out any differences? As i am intrigued on your findings. :p

puzarro
11-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Hello, I'm an Italian guy and I use the google translator if it is mistranslated know why :)
I bought orio pro and I was disappointed playing call of duty black ops 2, the sounds are muffled and I feel a lot of my steps, I can not hear the footsteps of the enemy even when they are close. I tried all possible settings but unfortunately it only gets worse. I must say that with music headphones are amazing but unfortunately I bought them to play and are not good at all, you do not even understand the sounds where they came from. The resell because they are accustomed to a very different and I was very disappointed, sin, the headsets are very nice and light.
Alex

dedaciai
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Hello, I'm an Italian guy and I use the google translator if it is mistranslated know why :)
I bought orio pro and I was disappointed playing call of duty black ops 2, the sounds are muffled and I feel a lot of my steps, I can not hear the footsteps of the enemy even when they are close. I tried all possible settings but unfortunately it only gets worse. I must say that with music headphones are amazing but unfortunately I bought them to play and are not good at all, you do not even understand the sounds where they came from. The resell because they are accustomed to a very different and I was very disappointed, sin, the headsets are very nice and light.
Alex

Sorry to hear they are not working well for you. Are you gaming on a laptop or desktop? If gaming on a desktop, do you have a dedicated sound card? Also, have you tried adjusting the equalizer on your PC?

Sorry for all the questions, but I had the same problem(s) with my Vulcan. It was great with just games, but I had to make some adjustments to the mids and high to get it to sound great with music and movies.

Darkflame
12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Hey Dark, Did you manage to find out any differences? As i am intrigued on your findings. :p

Haven't had the time to test them, hopefully this weekend.

btbleasdale
12-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows about the sound quality in the pro versions of the two headsets? I already have DJ headphones for recording and MP3 but i am wondering which of these sound better? The ANC isnt important, clear audio quality is the only consideration?

Darkflame
12-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows about the sound quality in the pro versions of the two headsets? I already have DJ headphones for recording and MP3 but i am wondering which of these sound better? The ANC isnt important, clear audio quality is the only consideration?

Read my review on the page before this one.

Orions are a lot better than the Vulcan's in terms of audio quality.

And i found out last night they have a lot better microphone too, my Vulcan's microphone has a lot of echo that i can't remove.

Darkflame
12-16-2012, 11:36 PM
I finally got around to testing both headsets at gaming, i played a lot of the Black Ops 2 campaign this weekend switching between the headsets regularly through out the levels and the Orion's won by a mile.

They are louder, more vibrant and just better in every way than the Vulcan's.

I used the Spitfire adapter with all 3 settings enabled, i originally hated the Spitfire because of background noise generated and the awful mic reception but i have come to love them in single player games.

I don't use it if not gaming but during gaming you can't hear the buzz and it creates a very good virtual surround sound effect that easily beats stereo.

So for gaming purposes, i'd recommend the pro models over the non pro models simply because 20 extra is a bargain price to pay for excellent virtual surround sound.

harryrupam
05-20-2013, 01:03 PM
How does the Orion perform with portable devices?? like phone or tablet?? Can it crank up enough volume and sound quality????

harryrupam
05-20-2013, 01:08 PM
How does the Orion perform with portable devices?? like phone or tablet?? Can it crank up enough volume and sound quality????

Lightning188
05-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Hello everybody,

I would like to buy an Orion PRO headset, I've read some reviews and tests on the web. But I've read a test which deals with a microphone "metallic" voice sound. Somebody can confirm me that the microphone looks very good for the sound or does it really have a "metallic" effect ? Does the Spitfire looks good for a surround quality ?

Best regards.

Lightning188