PDA

View Full Version : Software issue, help!

henfai
11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi, I am new to building and new to ROG. I built my first back in July. It carries Maximus V gene. All was good and well until a Kaspersky update happened. Every time at start up after the update, it became painfully slow, then the PDM.Keylogger alert pops and everything is back up to speed again. So I ran a few simple experiments, I rolled back to previous version prior to that update and rebooted several times. The OS was able to pick things up right away like before without any lag at all, then I updated it again and the lagging at start up occurs again. I do not want to have to be stuck with an non-updated version of AV but I have no choice because it ticks me off every time at start up. Any way I can fix this at all? Thank you.

HiVizMan
11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Remove the AV - did you pay for it? Or is is a freeware version, sounds dodge as hell that you have a keylogger that comes up.

Which version of K Key are you using?

kkn
11-01-2012, 03:26 PM
tried a clean instal of OS again? ( yeah i know its not fun doing so )
it "can" be virus or you instaled a .exe file you shouldnt have instaled ( bogus program or some thing like that )
is it HDD ( old or new ) or ssd??
list your specs.

henfai
11-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I have got a 128GB ssd along with a 1TB hdd for mass storage. Also it is a free software that came with the mobo itself with a one year license. The catch is though I have had that keylogger behavior alert ever since day one when I put the system together but every time that behavior alert goes away after a few seconds and it never used to slow my system down until the update. :confused:

kkn
11-01-2012, 03:47 PM
was the HDD new or old?
im thinking of is, was there files on it when you added it or was it brand new whit out enny files on it. ( the HDD and SSD )

henfai
11-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Nada, every thing was fresh out of the box. Whole system was brand new. :( Oh the keylogger alert says something along the lines of "explorer.exe is behaving like pdm.keylogger"

BearCat
11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
I think you may have two seperate issues. I had that keylogger issue with a older version of Kaspersky. It was a common bug. Just disable the notification in Kaspersky. As far as your other problem, lagging on startup, I think you should just dump that version of Kaspersky. Contact Kaspersky support and maybe you can wrangle a free licence from them. There actually pretty good. Otherwise you may spend many hours trying to resolve the problem with no success. I've found Kaspersky regular goes on sale for real cheap. Think I paid $20 Can. for a 3 licence version. It is a good anti-virus program with some nice additional tools. Good Luck.

henfai
11-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Alright thank you all for your help. But with this, leads me to another question.... Is AV an absolute necessity? I mean I have friends which only has Windows Security Essentials and Malwarebyte on their PC and they haven't had a problem with viruses or anything thus far.:confused:

cl-scott
11-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Alright thank you all for your help. But with this, leads me to another question.... Is AV an absolute necessity? I mean I have friends which only has Windows Security Essentials and Malwarebyte on their PC and they haven't had a problem with viruses or anything thus far.:confused:

While I'm a firm subscriber to the notion that ultimately the user is the weakest link in the security chain, doing things like using Internet Explorer, opening attachments claiming to be nude photos of some celebrity, trying to help our Nigerian friends smuggle money out of the country (be especially wary of Prince Desmond Wakiki Mwallaballah), downloading programs from dodgy sources, etc... And as a result of that, you'll get far more bang for the buck by altering your habits... I would still most definitely recommend having an AV program installed.

I don't think you need a full blown suite like Kaspersky, or any of the others that have hit the feature creep stage of life, but you should have SOMETHING installed. Security is all about layers after all. Every layer will have holes, so the idea is to have multiple layers. That way, if one layer has a hole at a particular point, a layer above or below it will not.

henfai
11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't think you need a full blown suite like Kaspersky, or any of the others that have hit the feature creep stage of life, but you should have SOMETHING installed. Security is all about layers after all. Every layer will have holes, so the idea is to have multiple layers. That way, if one layer has a hole at a particular point, a layer above or below it will not.

So do you think software set like Avast! + Windows Security Essentials + Malwarebyte would be a good line of defense for normal useage? (Avast! because of the 1 year free license) :D

cl-scott
11-01-2012, 06:45 PM
So do you think software set like Avast! + Windows Security Essentials + Malwarebyte would be a good line of defense for normal useage? (Avast! because of the 1 year free license) :D

By and large, yes. Though Windows Security Essentials would also include an AV scanner. But more important than that is doing things like using a non-Internet Explorer web browser, not opening every email attachment that comes your way, not visiting dodgy websites where you may download equally dodgy software, and most importantly would be to call the cops any time Prince Desmond Wakiki Mwallaballah tries to contact you. :D

Skull6
11-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I agree that 1) the end-user is the weakest link in regards to computer security & 2) having multiple "layers" of malware/AV packages is a smart way of doing business. BUT...I'd stress that you only install ONE real-time scanner, & have your other AV packages set to "scan on command." Much bad juju can come from having 2 or more installed AV packages trying to do real-time scanning at the same time.

Or just have all of your malware/ AV packages set to "scan on command." Doing so should give you a slight boost in operating speed. But doing so will mean that you'll need to be dilligent about keeping your malware/ AV scanners updated & that you perform scans regularly. A tool that is never used is a useless & ineffective tool...

henfai
11-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Oh uh I just noticed something. I went into the report history page and looked. Apparently the PDM.keylogger isn't the lagging issue. It shows in order (Detected: PDM.Keylogger, Allows: PDM.Keylogger, Detected: PDM.Invader (loader), Allowed: PDM.Invader (loader)). And I am guessing that the PDM.Invader is causing the lag because when it first boots the keylogger detection and allowance appeared very quickly. On the other hand the Invader alert pops up right when the lag is over. Does this changes anything? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

BearCat
11-02-2012, 03:48 AM
PDM. Invader is another False Positive from Kaspersky. I'd still advise to remove Kaspersky and get another newer version. Or get some other kind of anti-virus program. Use Kaspersky removal tool Kavremover.exe to make sure the program is completely removed.
After you finish uninstalling it restart your computer a few time and see if the lagging persists. If it does you may have other problems.

henfai
11-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Oh dear, I feel so silly right now. I thought about explorer.exe and remembered that i installed the ROG theme which could be causing the problem. So I changed my theme back to default and ran a sfc /scannow and ......... BAM!!! keylogger and invader never showed up again ...so far (touch wood). I think I have fixed it. Need a few more days to tell. But thanks for the help everyone! :)