PDA

View Full Version : G55VW-ES71: question about ram used

bizzy
11-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I bought this G55 with 8gb of ram and wanted to upgrade, but am kind of wary of trying to tear it down completely. Is there any way I can get the exact model of ram used so I can just stick it into the user-accessible slots with the stock ones? I tried searching google for an answer but no one seems to really know.

Thanks!

cl-scott
11-01-2012, 11:04 PM
The reason no one really knows, is that on the manufacturing end of things, there will be 2-3 different companies that supply RAM, and it's just kind of luck of the draw what goes into any given unit. The main thing you need to do is make sure it conforms to this specification for the ideal results:

DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM

You can double your existing 8GB to 16GB.

bizzy
11-01-2012, 11:16 PM
The reason no one really knows, is that on the manufacturing end of things, there will be 2-3 different companies that supply RAM, and it's just kind of luck of the draw what goes into any given unit. The main thing you need to do is make sure it conforms to this specification for the ideal results:

DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM

You can double your existing 8GB to 16GB.

Yea I wanted to upgrade to 16gb easily if I could. Is there absolutely no way to find out which other ram would be compatible with the currently installed ram? I tried searching for the serial on the ram itself but it doesn't seem to turn up anything...

Thanks for the quick response though, guess I'll try buying some random ram with the right speed and see if it works. Has anyone tried adding ram to the stock ones yet?

cl-scott
11-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Yea I wanted to upgrade to 16gb easily if I could. Is there absolutely no way to find out which other ram would be compatible with the currently installed ram? I tried searching for the serial on the ram itself but it doesn't seem to turn up anything...

Thanks for the quick response though, guess I'll try buying some random ram with the right speed and see if it works. Has anyone tried adding ram to the stock ones yet?

It really doesn't matter. As long as the RAM meets the above specs, it should work. Besides, if you take all the different companies selling RAM, you can trace the actual DRAM chips back to only 5-6 companies. So just picking two random RAM vendors purely for the sake of example, you could buy Crucial and Corsair RAM, and both would be using the same DRAM chips. As long as it's DDR3 1600 in spec, it should work.

bizzy
11-01-2012, 11:32 PM
It really doesn't matter. As long as the RAM meets the above specs, it should work. Besides, if you take all the different companies selling RAM, you can trace the actual DRAM chips back to only 5-6 companies. So just picking two random RAM vendors purely for the sake of example, you could buy Crucial and Corsair RAM, and both would be using the same DRAM chips. As long as it's DDR3 1600 in spec, it should work.

Oh ok. I just always remember reading that ram had to all be the EXACT same for optimal results or w/e, but I guess that isn't really the case. Cool, gonna buy 8gb and I'll report back with the results.

Thanks for the help.

edit: after checking CPU-Z it says that the manufacturer is Hyundai Electronics but I can't even find their ram lol.

rewben
11-02-2012, 01:20 AM
hi bizzy, you can refer here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75) for more information. the steps are simple to avoid mismatched ram, so that you can maintain the 1600Mhz while not voiding warranty.

bizzy
11-02-2012, 01:49 AM
hi bizzy, you can refer here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75) for more information. the steps are simple to avoid mismatched ram, so that you can maintain the 1600Mhz while not voiding warranty.

Yea cl-scott recommended I just buy any 1600mhz ram and I should probably be ok. I decided to pick these up: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231481

Cas latency is all the same so hopefully it will work without a hitch.

edit: actually I just stumbled across the exact ram I have in my system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231512. This is the part number if anyone needs it: H5TQ2G83CFR. Canceled first order and going to pick these up from Newegg warehouse tomorrow.