PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Asus N55SF RMA Experience

BrianG
11-02-2012, 01:09 AM
UPDATE: Asus gave me a replacement N56VZ-DS71 as a replacement. This notebook is a definite upgrade and I couldn't be more happy with Asus service in the end. Yes, I spent a lot of time and it was a huge hassle, but Asus stepped up in the end.

I have have had the most terrible experience with Asus RMA over the last month and a half.

In mid September 2012, my Asus N55SF-DS71 laptop began periodically blue screening and I did the necessary tests to ensure this was a hardware issue and it was. I called Asus support on September 24th to set up an RMA (CAF6291547) and was told that the Asus repair center at 802 Cochrane Drive in Markham Ontario Canada was no longer available as the RMA Center had been outsourced to Carepoint Services, also in Markham. I was unhappy to hear this as I had received excellent service from the in house repair center numerous times, but as I was told I had no choice, I proceeded with the RMA at Carepoint services.

I dropped the laptop off at Carepoint services at September 25th with a very detailed explanation of the issue and how to reproduce it. Three days later I received a call that my laptop was ready so I left work to drive back to the repair center. When they handed me my notebook, I noticed that there was no list of what was done to the laptop so I inquired specifically for one. I was told that they only replaced the keyboard and did not attempt to fix the serious hardware issue that prompted the RMA. Obviously, I was distraught, and they agreed to take it back, reopen the RMA, and assign it to a more senior technician to do the repair. The following week I received an email that my laptop was ready for pickup, so I left work again to pick it up. This time they told me they had replaced the motherboard, so I was satisfied.

I took the laptop home, and quickly realized that not only was the issue not solved, but the temperatures on the notebook (both the CPU and GPU) were now 15-20 degrees higher than they were before I took the laptop in for service and the notebook was blue screening more frequently. Distraught, I called Asus service again on October 6th and they apologized and told me they'd make a new RMA (CAF62A0515) and it would be given the utmost priority.

So I brought my laptop back to Carepoint services on October 9th and waited 3 weeks with no update. I called Asus service several times, and they would apologize and tell me that according to their information, Carepoint Services received the parts weeks ago and they have no idea why the laptop has not been repaired. I was promised follow up multiple times, as well as promised that I'd get calls from corporate and escalation departments and none ever came. I got fed up and tracked down the number to call Carepoint Services directly on Tuesday, October 30, and was told they have no idea what's going on with the RMA, they still think they're waiting for parts but aren't sure. A few more phone calls to Asus support that day and it seemed like my call to the service center paid off and they finished the repairs the same day.

I left work, picked up the laptop on Wednesday October 31st and ran a few tests and the original issue had finally been resolved. However, I noticed that now my screen has a scratch which was not there previously which obviously is unacceptable.

I have now made 5 trips during business hours from work to the service center, spent countless hours on the phone with different departments and supervisors, and have had countless promises and timelines broken. I have been without my notebook for almost 6 weeks. After waiting on hold for a supervisor for 2 hours, now Asus wants me to begin the entire process again and I am very upset about having to do so at additional personal cost.

I have been an Asus customer for many years and have bought and recommended many Asus products, and until now, I have never regretted any of those purchases. However, this experience and the drop in quality of service I have received from the new outsourced repair center are making me seriously reconsider whether I can continue to be an Asus customer in the future. Hopefully this is an isolated experience and someone at Asus will rectify the situation, but as of yet, no one has been willing to help.

chrsplmr
11-02-2012, 02:15 AM
BrianG .. Welcome to ROG .. glad you joined.
Sorry to hear of this, as we all are.
I have forwarded, since it is so complete, the link from
this thread to cl-scott ..
Maybe he can 'get eyes' on this for you or point you in the right direction.c.

BrianG
11-02-2012, 04:05 AM
Thanks, any help on this is greatly appreciated. I'm frustrated and disappointed because I've had great history with Asus until now.

HiVizMan
11-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Scott is the man here on ROG to help smooth over these less than stellar examples of customer service. Respect for being so calm when I am sure you were seething inside.

keep us informed how it progresses.

cl-scott
11-02-2012, 06:05 PM
If you want more specifics of the last repair you can ask for them via PM or email, but it'd be helpful if I could get a photo or two of the damage.

BrianG
11-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I have attached two photos. The first is a picture of the chip in the screen. The second is a picture of two scratches on the top lid of my laptop also done by the repair center. While I am obviously not happy to have gained these two scratches on the lid, these are not serious enough that I would be alright with waiting for parts, etc. to get them repaired. I'm sending you the picture of these lid scratches primarily as a reference to the carelessness of the repair center in handling my notebook.

cl-scott
11-02-2012, 11:57 PM
I have attached two photos. The first is a picture of the chip in the screen. The second is a picture of two scratches on the top lid of my laptop also done by the repair center. While I am obviously not happy to have gained these two scratches on the lid, these are not serious enough that I would be alright with waiting for parts, etc. to get them repaired. I'm sending you the picture of these lid scratches primarily as a reference to the carelessness of the repair center in handling my notebook.

Could I get you to send those to my email (in my sig)? Just a little easier for me to deal with them that way.

BrianG
11-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Hi Scott,

I have emailed you the photos as requested.

Thank you for your continued assistance.

chrsplmr
11-03-2012, 02:40 AM
See Brian .. 'we' told ya ... Scott is a good ROGgie .. ~ pat head ~ tail wags ~
(..and he practically works for Nummies. Can you believe it ?) .. good luck.c.

Area 66
11-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Scott replace Masson or they work together ?

BrianG
11-04-2012, 03:26 AM
I just noticed that the subwoofer port for my external Asus subwoofer that came with the laptop no longer works either while before it went in for repair it worked. This means my laptop will require even more significant servicing than I originally believed for the 4th time. :(

chrsplmr
11-04-2012, 03:36 AM
Yes, sad to say and hard to believe .. but alas, Mason has moved on.

But I think all have found that cl-Scott gets it done .. period.
(ok-when it is humanly possible and sometimes even impossible.) covered.

OP- i would make a list - put it on the keyboard and close the lid before you RMA (backup).
(dont want a returned/half/fixed G ..).c.

BrianG
11-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Hi chrsplmr,

Each time I gave the laptop to the RMA center I gave a very detailed list of the issues, of what I believed to be the root causes, and steps to reproduce it taped right to the laptop. That did not stop them from ignoring it the first time, causing serious temperature issues when they reassembled it the second time, and forgetting my RMA for 3 weeks then returning it scratched with the subwoofer jack not functioning the third.

I must say the old in-house repair center would've never done any of this, I've had 4 or so wonderful RMA experiences with them in the past, but this new outsourced repair center just doesn't seem to care the same way (understandable since it's not their reputation / customers on the line).

But now it seems like I get to start the entire process again.

chrsplmr
11-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Brian .. you said a mouthful there bro .. and I think, nailed it.

"... I must say the old in-house repair center would've never done any of this, I've had 4 or so wonderful RMA experiences with them in the past, but this new outsourced repair center just doesn't seem to care the same way (understandable since it's not their reputation / customers on the line)...."+

Thank you for such patience in this .. very well played.

Did you request and recieve this ??

If you want more specifics of the last repair you can ask for them via PM or email, but it'd be helpful if I could get a photo or two of the damage.
Did you do this ??

Could I get you to send those to my email (in my sig)? Just a little easier for me to deal with them that way.
If you have any questions about how to access the PM(private messaging) above in the inbox .. just ask.

I cant answer for 'them' .. but if you do as Scott asks I am confident that ..
he will take a personal interest in this ending right.

(a little inside secret around here is .. Mr.Scott for quite a time was
a 'one man show' in a similar volumed repair center .. he has little tolerance
for this kind of non-sense.).c.

BrianG
11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
I have forwarded all the requested information to him already and I am just waiting to hear back, which is totally fine because it's the weekend. I'm sure I'll hear back ASAP.

You all seem to have a lot of faith in Scott so I will too :).

Thanks everyone.

BrianG
11-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Unfortunately Scott's response was that I have to start the RMA process over for the 4th time, the same exact canned response I got after waiting on hold for 2 hours with Asus Support.

Oh well, Asus lost a previously loyal customer. I recommend that Canadians who have a notebook that needs an RMA demand servicing at 802 Cochrane Dr., Markham. That is the in-house repair center and apparently it still operates, but Asus support will always direct you to Carepoint Services as it seems they want to phase out the in-house. For those who have been given equally poor service by Carepoint Services, please complain as bitterly as possible. Hopefully we can rock the boat enough that Asus Canada returns to an in-house repair center.

Thank you to everyone who attempted to help me.

cl-scott
11-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Actually my response was to offer to have the cosmetic damage taken care of on Asus' dime, and also make sure the sub port was looked at. Yes, it would require a new RMA, but it'd be free, so one would think you can't complain too much.

Anyway, offer remains open. There's no expiration date, but obviously the sooner the better. All BrianG needs do is send me an email or PM, and I can set it up.

BrianG
11-06-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm not sure why Scott thinks repairing damage caused by the repair facility is a favor to me. This is quite alarming. Why would I ever pay for damage Asus' repair center did? Even base level Asus support never remotely suggested that?

Shawnnepc
11-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure why Scott thinks repairing damage caused by the repair facility is a favor to me. This is quite alarming. Why would I ever pay for damage Asus' repair center did? Even base level Asus support never remotely suggested that?

Because he'll make sure it gets done.

We're an ASUS reseller and I can assure you that once Scott is involved things get done.

BrianG
11-06-2012, 06:11 PM
So now what you're suggesting is without Scott I can't expect Asus RMAs to be done right, and his great customer service to me is having an RMA done right on the fourth attempt?

Shouldn't it be that every RMA is done right by default and when there are repeated failures on Asus' part, a customer should be offered a little better than the "try again it'll be done right because this time someone will care" that I got told that the last 2 times by plenty of other Asus support.

Shawnnepc
11-06-2012, 06:45 PM
So now what you're suggesting is without Scott I can't expect Asus RMAs to be done right, and his great customer service to me is having an RMA done right on the fourth attempt?

Shouldn't it be that every RMA is done right by default and when there are repeated failures on Asus' part, a customer should be offered a little better than the "try again it'll be done right because this time someone will care" that I got told that the last 2 times by plenty of other Asus support.

Generally ASUS RMAs are uneventful and everything works out.

However, sometimes things go wrong and it can be frustrating to deal with the call centers and robot reps.

I agree that it's crap that you have to deal with these things and I really do feel for you.

Not that it's a valid excuse but it's like this in the entire industry.

ASUS has taken steps by hiring reps like Scott to resolve these kind of issues and provide feedback to ASUS about breakdowns in the chain of repair.

BrianG
11-06-2012, 09:21 PM
One of my escalation emails got me a response from Asus Markham. They told me they'd set me up a new RMA there instead of Carepoint Services and assured me that all 3 issues would be fixed (screen, lid, subwoofer port) within 3-4 business days. I dropped it off there this afternoon. Now to wait and see.

I'm obviously still not thrilled about the poor service, the 6-7 weeks it's taking, or the amount of effort it took me, but hopefully at least I'll finally have a fully repaired notebook this time.

BrianG
11-08-2012, 11:56 PM
So I got my laptop back today. The screen and the lid are fixed. The subwoofer port works but my speakers are now having serious problems and sound terrible. They sound very muffled, the volume fluctuates violently, and there is a terrible vibration / rattle. Great.

BrianG
11-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Hey everyone, I think it's important that I update this thread to let you all know that Asus did finally take amazing care of me.

I received a replacement N56VZ-DS71 today from Asus Canada. This new notebook is gorgeous and I couldn't be happier. To anyone else having severe issues with Asus RMA, be persistent. When you find the right person Asus will definitely make the situation right.

Asus solidified a loyal customer in me in a big way today.

Thanks to Scott, Trevor, and especially George at Asus Canada.

Shawnnepc
11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Hey everyone, I think it's important that I update this thread to let you all know that Asus did finally take amazing care of me.

I received a replacement N56VZ-DS71 today from Asus Canada. This new notebook is gorgeous and I couldn't be happier. To anyone else having severe issues with Asus RMA, be persistent. When you find the right person Asus will definitely make the situation right.

Asus solidified a loyal customer in me in a big way today.

Thanks to Scott, Trevor, and especially George at Asus Canada.

Glad to here that everything worked out for you!

ASUS might have a few hiccups but they're still the best guys around :)

HiVizMan
11-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Group hugs and brolove

cl-scott
11-16-2012, 08:04 PM
ASUS might have a few hiccups but they're still the best guys around :)

Shhhhhhhh! There's only so much I can do to keep our resident firestarter's attention elsewhere. I don't mind if she immolates Vizzy, we can bench her range on setting people on fire, but we don't need her killing off resellers! :eek: