PDA

View Full Version : So, I finally upgraded from the G50vt

pvtnum11
11-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Hello,

I've been an Asus ROG owner for about 3 and a half years now, having bought a G50vt from Bestbuy when they had a special on it, way back in June of 2009 or so. Still have the Razer Deathadder and the backpack, but the headset died after two hard years of use. Upgraded to a Razer Magalodon and never looked back.

Well, the G50 was getting really long in the tooth, and as far as I know, has always ran hot. Redid the thermal paste on it once, still ran hot., so I was looking for something that ran cooler and had a more efficient cooling system in general. Since I liked the G50, I considered getting a G73 or G74, but then found the smaller 15-inch G55...

And here I am, with the base-model ES71. Is nice. Should be sufficient for my needs, as I'm not professional by any stretch of the imagination.

Still doing updates and stuff, then I can finally run RIFT and not have a craptastic framerate of 2/sec, or have GTA4 kick me out of Multiplayer for "running too slow", and not worry about overheating my outdated nVidia 9800M while playing Minecraft.

I gifted the G50 to my daughter so she can watch Netflix and play Minecraft, which is an upgrade for her, since she was using a 1015 Eee PC.

So, happy to be here.

KiwiG75
11-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Welcome, we will help you if any problems ever arise. I stress the word IF. These machines seem fairly reliable so you should have a good run out of yours.

Liquidus
11-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwar--ROGwarts!

pvtnum11
11-02-2012, 07:26 AM
^ More like another three years... :)

Okay, two things I noticed:

Keyboard backlighting isn't working, and the function keys to dim/brighten the display don't work, either.

Not that it's a huuuuge deal, since I have an external monitor and keyboard, but it would be nice for when I go to the next LAN event.

Do I need to reinstall the ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities drivers?

...yeah, I'll try that, see what happens.

Success! Now I can ignore it for another two weeks. :eek:

Clintlgm
11-02-2012, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't ignore it for 2 weeks, I would test and test and Stress test make sure everything is working correctly before your return to Dealer time runs out. Just in case. I for one didn't do that and it turns out that I have no right speaker. RMA it for that and got it back the same way no right side speaker. No real big deal I use external speakers most of the time anyway. Just saying check it all out before you put it up for a couple of weeks.