PDA

View Full Version : Laptop graphics card just died...

Greavol28
11-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Hey all, got my laptop back from RMA for a hard drive replacement. Now I've got another more serious problem... It seems my GPU is broken. It worked fine for the 1st week or 2. Today I turned off my laptop that was at that point still working for a couple of hours because I had to go somewhere. Came back and started up my laptop only to find out that my resolution was set to lowest. And found out that my laptop was not running on my grpahics card. I then checked Device Manager and my graphics card does not show up in the list. It only shows Standard VGA Adapter or something like that. Installing/reinstalling drivers is not working because the installer program can't find my Graphics Card :( Rebooted countless times, also reinstalled windows. But every time I try to install drivers it can't find my graphics card.

I really don't feel like sending it back for RMA again since I have lost my faith due to this problem showing up after an RMA...

Any suggestions, tips/ whatever, feel free...

StereoROG
11-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I checked the bios if i missed any info about the GPU but no luck it says nothing about the graphics card. I thought if the system is recognizing the GPU it would mention something there.

My first option send it back or give them a call if them can try to diagnose or help you do something.

What you did is more then enough to diagnose in my opinion unless someone else has another advice.

one more thing you can do is to open the laptop as it is user friendly "one screw" and doesn't avoid the warranty and you can see the graphics card there along with the ram and hard drive you can see if there is something suspicious with it but you cant do much (like removing it ) as you need to remove the heat sink first which is not easy cause then you have to take it all apart -----> leading to void the warranty.

Please check in other threads where you can find guides and pictures on how to.

Wish i could help more.

Cheers,

cl-scott
11-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Afraid there's really not much you're going to be able to do beyond send it back in unless you want to just live with it as-is. Sorry.

Myk SilentShadow
11-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Hey crazy question...are you trying to install the mobile version of the drivers, or the regular ones? if not the mobile...this is why you cannot install them

Greavol28
11-03-2012, 12:14 AM
These are the drivers from asus support site and are for the mobile version 670m thats in my G75VW. I've used them before and this is the first time I have this problem.

Zygomorphic
11-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Try the latest ones from the nVidia site - make sure to get the mobile versions.

ForCeV
11-03-2012, 04:15 AM
That version which uploaded asus website isn't working. Try to install Nvidia website's newest version. Beta version has released recently. Try to install it. Version is 310.33.

Greavol28
11-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I've just tried installing the latest drivers to no avail...

Here's another screenshot

Apexing
11-03-2012, 04:46 PM
what does it show under devicemanager - screencard ?
You get to it, by right clicking my computer, select properties then devicemanager.

chrsplmr
11-03-2012, 05:05 PM
if device manager does not see it, it is 'not there'. this could b alot of things not the least (and this would be the best news for u) the plug was not completely inserted and worked itself loose.i am afraid as scott points out ...rma it.pm him with the particulars (incident no.s ect.) and maybe he can 'walk it through' for u.never fear rma's because of wut u hear ... cl-scott is here...hahahaummmm...u may need to try out a new one while it is away .. then return it when urs does.cuz .. well u will have decided u dont need it by then...work will b happy.best of luck.c.

Greavol28
11-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Oh, I wish I could try out a new one while my defect one is away, but I am afraid thats not possible. At least, I have never heard of something like that in the Netherlands. I've bought it from an internet store online from the Netherlands that is trustworthy. I have started the process for a new RMA. My Father called the company where it's going to be send to for RMA to make sure everything wen't alright during 1st shipping. As this will be the 2nd time.

In device manager it shows under display adapters as the default VGA driver before you install the real drivers. And like you've seen in my other replies. Uninstalling/installing drivers won't work because the install program can't find the GPU.

Woots
11-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Well being that you are able to display anything to take screen shots says your video card is not dead... I been building PC's for years... when a vid car dies.. you see nothing and BIOS posts warning beeps... its one of the nastier things that can fail on a machine cause you are flying blind and have to go on BIOS warning beep count to diagnose this.

I am not sure pricesly what "IS" going on in this case... but I would suggest a fresh windows install (or restore) if you want to avoid the RMA ordeal again. This sounds very much like a sketchy driver issue (although weird)

I am not saying that you vid card isn't failing mind you... but it clearly is not dead... also in all these screenshots I don;t even see visual anomalies (which is a great sign)... I think windows got tweaked.

It may also be possible your vid card is fine and something on the motherboard may be failing (hard to 100% say what's what at this point)

Greavol28
11-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeh, but the funny thing about that though is. That the monitor in the laptop stays black. The only way to get in windows and get something to show up was to connect it via HDMI to my external monitor. And trying to detect it via the detect button, at where you change the screen resolutio. That Is failing to detect the monitor from the laptop itself. It's only detecting the external monitor via HDMI. I've also tried the switch video output button on 1 of the F keys. It will only show HDMI if I press it.

Woots
11-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeh, but the funny thing about that though is. That the monitor in the laptop stays black. The only way to get something to showop was to connect it via HDMI to my external monitor. And trying to detect it via the detect button, at where you change the screen resolution, is failing to detect the monitor from the laptop itself. It's only detecting the external monitor via HDMI.

Well that at least makes sense... being that it's not showing up in the device manager. However, the hdmi output still uses all the same internal video components as any other output on the video card (same gpu/v-ram/etc)... so it at least says... the core functionality of the video card is intacted.

There could be an issue with the way signal path from the video card to the laptop's own LCD screen.

This is harsh and clearly something isn't right. I just try my best to flesh out if it's software glitching or hardware before I pull trigger on sending anything back for RMA to any company (due to the time frames and drama involved).

The fact you are seeing anything though (even through hdmi) is a red flag this "might" be OS/Driver related.

Just try your best to be logical with deducing the problem and remove as many "maybes" and "not sures" as you can with tests.

Best way to do that with any PC rig. (which you can onlhy partially do here on a laptop)

is remove ALL the internal components except for bare minimum required to run machine (gpu/ 1 stick of ram)/cpu/power supply/stock BIOS settings/and obviously mobo) then reboot... if that works... add 1 HD back in... if that works try fresh OS install... if that works add basic drivers for chipset... test.. then vid card drivers... test... if it all passes keep adding old hardware in layers back in until you can produce the failure.. then you can pinpoint the inevitable "ghost in the machine"

With laptop it's not gonna be much different other then less stuff to yank out of the computer (rest remains the same)

Really just depends on how hands on you want to be... you could just RMA again and wait a while. I prefer 1 day of trouble shooting than 2-3+ weeks of no hardware.

Greavol28
11-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I am not going to void the warranty by opening it and then start to unplug things. Things might go wrong and I will be in deeper **** then I am now. I rather send it back to ASUS again for RMA...

Like I said in one of my previous reply's here. I have reinstalled a clean windows, but still not able to install the GPU drivers because the install program can't find the GPU. Normally it would find it straight away without any problems.

The time it took for my 1st RMA for a whole different problem was within 10 days. So I don't mind waiting again.

chrsplmr
11-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Woots+- and agree .. 1 all out trouble shooting .. but .. this is something inside. dont void the warranty if
you can avoid it .. (another but) if you are careful .. and have done this before .. open it up .. something
is unplugged ... i think........... or (sigh) .. the video/panel went ... left.

EDIT::::>
yep .. any doubt ... RMA it Out .. better safe than ... blah blah blah ... ect ect ect ... c.

Woots
11-03-2012, 07:02 PM
I am not going to void the warranty by opening it and then start to unplug things. I rather send it back to ASUS again from RMA...

I didnt suggest that... was just sayin that is methodology on a full PC rig

With this laptop...the only aftermarket non warranty voiding addons you could have put in would be harddrive and ram (on bottom). Neither of these would produce an issue like this (ram can get flakey, but my gut says this is not at all a ram issue).

However, fresh windows install or restore to fresh start I think is in order to rule out windows/driver issues.

It would be a hell of a thing is a simple restore fixed your problem and you took the RMA route.

Greavol28
11-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Aight, thanks for all the help again. Hopefully if everything goes right this time. My laptop will come back in perfect working order again.

Any last things you wan't to add? Feel free...

Greavol
Out...

Woots
11-03-2012, 08:02 PM
It just occured to me.. if you do not see anything on the laptop LCD screen (pre windows boot up) .. like bios posting.... then there definitely is something wrong that windows restore/reinstall will not fix.

If you do see Bios during boot up on the computer laptop there definitely is an issue with windows only.

Greavol28
11-03-2012, 08:20 PM
It just occured to me.. if you do not see anything on the laptop LCD screen (pre windows boot up) .. like bios posting.... then there definitely is something wrong that windows restore/reinstall will not fix.

If you do see Bios during boot up on the computer laptop there definitely is an issue with windows only.

To answer your question. I don't see anything pre-boot during startup on the laptop LCD. And only on the external moniter I see starting windows. I eventually get into windows but the laptop LCD stays black. And I still have the driver can't be installed because it can't be detected by the installer.

chrsplmr
11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
... and it boots into windows on the external ??

Greavol28
11-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Yes, it does. Thats how I was able to make those scrennshots of the Driver installer. I tried this link as a last option. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/513621/geforce-mobile-gpus/installer-cannot-continue-the-graphics-driver-could-not-find-compatible-graphics-hardware-installer-/ But it did not work for me.

chrsplmr
11-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Can you get into the bios ?? on the 'tv' ??
Is there a setting for external monitor Only? or a key combo? (shoots blindly) .c.

Greavol28
11-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I bet that I can get into the bios by hitting ESC to get a boot device menu while my laptop starts up. And then choose for setup in the menu to get into the BIOS. No idea if I would actually see it though. And the external monitor is a computer monitor, not a TV. Also, I am pretty sure that such an option would not be activated because I have never changed anything in the BIOS, It's all on default.

I've tried to go to screen resolution by right clicking on your desktop. But the LCD in my laptop monitor just won't get picked up. There's a key combo but I don't think it will matter much. I already tried pressing it but the external monitor just blinks and the LCD in my laptop stay black.

So I am really thinking that it's either a faulty GPU or something on my laptop is not correctly plugged in. I have my doubts about the last one, because that would mean that it kind of unplugged it self. Because it was working fine for 1 and a half week. But if thats so then ASUS will probably find that out during the RMA progress themself.

Greavol28
11-04-2012, 09:15 PM
SOLVED! Thanks to Advanced System Optimizer with included driver updater managed to install the correct drivers for my Graphics card :D