PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded G75VW-RS72 vs. G75VW-DS72

Bakoomerang
11-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Hey guys. Iím new to these forums, hoping you can help me out :)

Iím looking at getting a G75 laptop and am trying to decide between buying a G75VW-RS72 and upgrading some components, or just buying the G75VW-DS72. I know on paper the DS72 is clearly the superior machine, but hereís the thing. The DS72 is currently selling at CAD $1,889.99, and the RS72 is at CAD $1,389.99. So thatís a price difference of $500. As far as I can tell the only difference in spec between the two models is that the DS72 has 16 GB of RAM instead of 8, and it comes with a 256 GB SSD pre-installed (it also has a Blu-ray burner but I donít care about that). Iím fairly certain that for less than $500 I can put an SSD in the RS72 and upgrade from 8 to 16 GB of RAM, so at that point it basically becomes a cheaper DS72 unless Iím missing something? What do you guys think?

cheek
11-03-2012, 04:02 AM
the ds72 will definitely work for you since you dont care about the blu ray. a premium 256 gb ssd will set you back at most 200-250.
throw in a 2 x 4gb (45-60) or 2 x 8 gb ram (80-100). you still have some spare cash to buy a headset / gaming mouse / bag.
i dont know for sure but i think the stock ssd is porbably not some premium ssd.
just out of curiosity does it come with win 8?
if it doesnt then just spend 15usd for the upgrade. i personally got a bbk2. and upgraded ssd / 2nd harddisk / wifi card / ram / blu ray / OS while still manage to make a little savings.
having said all that. if you can wait a bit longer...go for the new G75VX with better GPU 670MX
check out the thread here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23782-Coming-Soon-G75VX&country=&status=

Bakoomerang
11-03-2012, 03:42 PM
It's Windows 7, but tbh I'm not overly eager to upgrade to Windows 8 just yet anyway. I'll spend $15 to get the upgrade though in case I decide to make the switch in the future. Does Windows 8 offer any advantages in terms of gaming? I've also read that from a gaming perspective 8 GB of RAM is all you really need? If that's true then I don't necessarily need to upgrade to 16 GB right away. The SSD is definitely a must though.

I saw the thread about the upcoming G75VX, but if it's going to be closer to $2,000 I'm not sure it'll be worth it despite the better GPU. I'm not the sort of person who has to play every game at 1080p with max settings. I'm fine with medium to high as long as it's nice and smooth. Also, I'm going to need a laptop before the end of the year and I'm not sure the G75VX will be available here before then.

Aurora
11-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Hello,

I bought RS 72 instead of DS. I upgraded it to 16 GB ram, and added Intel 128 GB SSD 520 Series. It came cheaper then the DS, and there is no other diffrence between the machines, same materials same style, only few component diffrence.

If you are ın USA, ı suggest you buy from XotıcPC, ı bought ıt from there wıth upgrades, so you are automatcly ıncludıng your new upgraded compenent to Warranty. If you buy yourself and upgrade, you wont get any warranty for those.

cheek
11-04-2012, 05:16 AM
yes the arguement is that for gaming 8gb is all u need. chances are the bottleneck is the gpu. your processor is not even gonna have a huge difference. u can hardly feel the speed boost.
yes first thing get your ssd. the single best upgrade now. i personally recommend the samsung 840.
a extra 8 gb upgrade is really awfully cheap nowadays.
win 8 offers no real advantage to gaming. it does starts up faster. UI is different. but do remember the 15 usd upgrade ends somewhere around
feb 2013.