PDA

View Full Version : Need help : g75vw-ds71 failed to restore from recovery partition!

Xenos
11-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Last night decided to restore everything back to factory by using the recovery partition.
I followed the e-manual and pressed F9 at bios. At the recovery menu I chose restore to first partition.
After some time, the laptop entered windows themed UI saying "installing devices..."
After it went 100%, I was shocked because a warning popped up saying "cannot complete installation......." (I can't remember exactly). The laptop restarts and the same UI keep going on loop saying "Installation cannot be completed. To complete, please restart the installation"!!!
After that I tried 2 other option in the 'F9' recovery (restore to entire HDD - restore to entire HDD but split the partition). But they all failed. (I've also tried locking the 2nd hdd in bios menu)
What's going on?!?!?!?

Now I've resorted to installing windows from a dvd. And here's another problem:
The dvd says I can't install windows 7 on the main hdd (the one which housed the main os and recovery partitition). It says it has GPT style partition and can't be installed with win7.

The fact I'm now able to post this here is because I told the dvd to install win7 on the second hdd. But I'd like to get everything 'factory set' again. How do I get past this??? Please Help!

Thanks...

Summary:
The failure to restore HDD from recovery partition is still unknown.
But I managed to reinstall win 7 using DVD. I managed to test both MBR and GPT win7 version (both successful). In the end I decided for MBR in the main HDD.
For those who had problem during GPT to MBR transition : Here (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html) is link for solution. If you still fail use second option (command prompt) and then use "CLEAN" command on the problematic HDD. You can also access command prompt/cmd during DVD bootup by pressing SHIFT+F10.
Carefull with the cmd method, you have to know which HDD is which. Especially those who have G75vw-DS71 since the 2 HDDs are identical. If you followed my story, the 'cannot find BOOTMGR' problem was caused by me using CLEAN command on my OS HDD (because I mistook the disk number).

Remember to update AIRecovery then use it to burn RECOVERY DVD straight away!! Fresh when you got the g75vw! Or else you will lose your chance to get a functional recovery DVD like me.

Another note: You CAN install win 7 without physically removing the second HDD! The secondary HDD can be 'disabled' via BIOS! Look in the options (in the io-interface security tab or something...i forgot)! Read the e-manual for details.

rewben
11-04-2012, 08:51 AM
please take out the secondary hdd physically and try the restore process.

Xenos
11-04-2012, 09:10 AM
uh oh, I've erased all the partition except the recovery partition. Now the F9 button isn't responding.
Can I still create a recovery DVD if I install asus Ai-recovery? (yes I forgot to create it at first boot up, my stupidity)....:(

@rewben
I tought that too (that's why I tried the locking function in the bios). But for some reason, the retailer I bought the ds-71 from prohibits me opening the back (they put some seal on it). They said it'll void my 'retailer' warranty (full refund etc) if I break the seal. You can never understand people here in my place (i'm in Indonesia btw).

At disk management i see two 'unallocated partition' in the main hdd together with the recovery partition. Both of them UDF file system. If i right click on both partition and select 'properties', on the 'volumes tab' they show partition style : "GUID partition table (GPT)".
If i format them to NTFS, can i use the dvd to install win7 on the main hdd?

Xenos
11-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Oh hey, after reading the *banned website* I kinda know the problem...
The problem in dvd installation for main hdd is because it is a gpt. Currently I can't convert it to mbr in my disk management ('convert to MBR disk' greyed out).
To make the 'convert to MBR' option available I have to clean/delete all partition. That means deleting the recovery partition... I should do an AI-recovery first right? Is this how everyone do a fresh install? Please confirm me before I make the move...

The guide also says to disable UEFI boot, just curious : what is it for? Why do we need to disable it?
Someday when I do a factory recovery, I should re-enable it right?
Sorry for being a noob and rushed everything.

rewben
11-04-2012, 11:29 AM
imo, deleting partitions will somehow mess something up that will not let you run the recovery process properly.

i'm sorry to hear that your retailer put that damn sticker to seal your machine. that was not supposed to happen :/ i think now the only way to get it fixed is to go back to your retailer. in my experience, installing windows when there are two disks present physically will cause a variety of issues (bios lock has no effect).

the problem now is the GPT disk you have. what you see in disk management are the partitions created by windows during UEFI install (to install windows in GPT disk you will need to do UEFI install)

you can try to boot your dvd into UEFI mode. try to press esc key while in ROG logo, and check if the dvd has an option to boot in UEFI. remember to use windows sp1 install disk for UEFI install.

or, convert the disk to MBR using third party tools, but this might be destructive to your data.

rewben
11-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Oh hey, after reading the *banned website* I kinda know the problem...
The problem in dvd installation for main hdd is because it is a gpt. Currently I can't convert it to mbr in my disk management ('convert to MBR disk' greyed out).
To make the 'convert to MBR' option available I have to clean/delete all partition. That means deleting the recovery partition... I should do an AI-recovery first right? Is this how everyone do a fresh install? Please confirm me before I make the move...

The guide also says to disable UEFI boot, just curious : what is it for? Why do we need to disable it?
Someday when I do a factory recovery, I should re-enable it right?
Sorry for being a noob and rushed everything.

i'm sorry but i think your recovery partition can no longer be accessible. i think you should forget about the recovery partition and proceed with a fresh install, following that guide.

disabling UEFI boot make sure you run the windows installer in BIOS mode. you can enable it to use other UEFI-aware tools. when you do a fresh install, you can use windows backup for the restore process.

Xenos
11-04-2012, 12:54 PM
hm...,
How about if I just install the OS in 2nd hdd and cleanup all data in main hdd (convert to MBR using 3rd party tools). So the function is swapped main hdd for data and 2nd hdd for OS. Do you think this could lead to future issue?

rewben
11-04-2012, 01:02 PM
it should be ok, but i am not sure. i think it's best you wait for someone who's more experienced to confirm with that option.

john_from_ohio
11-04-2012, 01:50 PM
hm...,
How about if I just install the OS in 2nd hdd and cleanup all data in main hdd (convert to MBR using 3rd party tools)?

Hard to follow exactly as you have done so many things here.

Download minitools partition wizard ( or some other partitioning tool ) and create a bootable cd/dvd ... boot up the system with that and clean out all your drives and set them up the way you want to. Probably can create a bootable flash drive that works that way also.

Personally I would pull the 2nd drive out while doing a fresh install.

I "guess" one can lock out certain drives from the BIOS while installing but never tested like that.

rewben
11-04-2012, 03:21 PM
i read this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24546-G75-Windows-8-AI-Recovery-Utlity-Intel-520-ssd&p=178457&viewfull=1#post178457) the other day, which described what happened to me previously. i've been practicing the similar method when i do a fresh install and everything is fine so far.

Xenos
11-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Hello, I'm back again...
After some nasty trial and error I actually managed to burn the 'recover' partition' using AI-recovery.
After that, i went to change main hdd from GPT to MBR. This actually requires me to install an os at the 2nd hdd to perform MBR conversion. To convert into MBR the real problem was the 'recovery partition' itself which is a hidden partition. I can't delete it, so I tried to use DISKPART command CLEAN, and it worked!
After that I installed antoher OS in the main (this makes a dual boot). I WAS so happy to report to you at that time, all drivers are installed in the main hdd.

But then I got into another problem : I can't format the 2nd hdd back to 'unallocated space' because there's an OS in it...(or something about eh hdd being the system) even when I tried to format using main hhd's OS.
At that moment I 'accidentally' picked one of the 'boot overide' options in the bios menu.
I don't know why but that leads to catastrophic result: the bios always says "cannot find BOOTMGR" whenever I select the main hdd to boot. What the hell....?

Now I reinstalled the main with GPT win7 (efi installer)... does being gpt impacts anything on the performance?
To me, it looks like the laptop is designed for gpt main hdd, is this ok?
Please confirm whether it's okay to stay in GPT or should I try the MBR again....?

rewben
11-05-2012, 02:07 AM
wow. how did you manage to burn the recovery disk in your situation? did it work to recover your machine? can you teach us?

yes, the machine comes with uefi installed. it's just that for me mbr is more convenient, and i think the impact of performance is negligible between the two.

Xenos
11-05-2012, 06:02 AM
I think the AI-recovery is a tool that creates an image of main hdd (which contains the recovery partition).
Before Installing GPT (second os install) on main, I tried to use the recovery dvd I burned. Straight away it failed, but when I 'locked' the second hdd it worked.
When the recovery completed (took 50 mins), I still cannot boot into the main (you'll see why shortly). So I booted from my 2nd hdd. In the disk management I saw that my main hdd has two 'unallocated space' and one 25GB partition called 'recovery partition' and already in GPT partition style. That is exactly what my main was when I burned the recovery dvd using AI-recovery. Sadly, when I tried punching f9 in bios I still can't get into 'factory recovery partition mode'. I suspect I might actually be able to when I install the required driver...

Realizing the main is a GPT, i tried to install win7 using uefi (for gpt). It works and that is what I'm using currently... But another 'accident' is I wrongly set the partition. Now I have four partition : (in sequence from left to right as shown in disk management)
- new volume 200 mb (this is what I 'acccidently' make)
- 100 mb efi partition
- 670 GB OS NTFS
- 25 GB recovery partition (now this partition is not 'hidden' and can be deleted)
What annoys me is the new volume can't be moved (so i can add it to the 670GB os partition). It became useless partition at the beginning of hdd. (How can i move it...?)
I'm planning to do a final reinstall...
Please help me decide, GPT style or MBR?
I heard GPT is only supported by 64bit os, will it affect any non 64 bit application? I still like to play some old games (32 bit REALLY old ones) like Touhou, epsxe (PSX emulator), etc... can GPT cause any app to be unstable?

rewben
11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
ah.. you have burnt the dvds before that; i thought you had some nice tricks to burn the dvds with the recovery partition lol! because that one would be helpful to many.

i thought gpt install will create 3 partitions? a gpt disk doesn't interfere with what is running on top of your OS. it should be ok as long as the OS supports it.

Xenos
11-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Hey, it's been 2 week since I posted the problem. I'm here to report.
Everything runs good now. I'm using MBR win 7 on the main HDD. Didn't even open the laptop for HDD swap.
Nothing is abnormal. Been downloading thing from internet for 4 days straight and HDD temp is at 40 C!
I'm a happy man now! hahaha...:D
Oh just in case someone get into the same problem, I've update my first post for summary.

Thanks rewben for staying with me while I was desperate. Your response kept me sane and prevented me from doing anything disastrous :D.

rewben
11-21-2012, 09:24 AM
it's good to know that things are fine now for you :) glad i can 'help' lol!

edit: thanks for the summary. i have learned some new stuff today.