PDA

View Full Version : Any hope for my G53SW?

jwred5
11-04-2012, 10:47 PM
I bought a G53SW-XN1 last year from Newegg. A beast of a machine for the price.
It's worked pretty well for the minimal gaming I do, I use it basically as a desktop replacement and rarely move it.

Early this year, I sent it in because one night the AC adapter tip started getting really hot and actually got charred on the tip so that it wouldn't fit anymore. I sent it in and they replaced the AC adapter.

It worked fine for a couple months, but in September it started heating up pretty bad again.
Long story short, my battery died and I think there's something wrong with the power circuit. Of course, this happens like 2 weeks after my 1-year warranty expires.

As of now, it runs on AC power, but frequently pops up the switching between AC Mode and Battery mode thing. If I move it while it's plugged in, it will just die. If I play any sort of graphically intesive game, the power tip gets really hot, once to the point where it wouldnt draw power anymore and just shut off.

My wife has the same model, so I borrowed her battery which is still working. My laptop can run off the battery, but won't charge it and while plugged in the power tip heats up really fast when doing anything CPU/GPU intensive.
Even with no battery, the power tip gets really hot when I start playing any game or watching any sort of video.

So, is there anything I can do short of replacing the motherboard? It seems like something related to my power jack, but I have limited knowledge of the hardware.

dstrakele
11-04-2012, 11:56 PM
The cause for this issue can lie within the power adapter, battery, or motherboard. It looks like you've eliminated the battery.

What happens when you use your wife's power adapter? If the issue persists on your laptop , you've isolated it to the motherboard. If not, it's your power adapter.

The power pin connector is a known weak link of the charging circuit on G53 motherboards (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1800-power-connector-pin-broke-on-my-G53jw&country=&status=). Replacing the power pin connector with a more robust one is a less expensive and more effective repair option than motherboard replacement if it turns out to be your problem.

jwred5
11-05-2012, 04:39 AM
The cause for this issue can lie within the power adapter, battery, or motherboard. It looks like you've eliminated the battery.

What happens when you use your wife's power adapter? If the issue persists on your laptop , you've isolated it to the motherboard. If not, it's your power adapter.

The power pin connector is a known weak link of the charging circuit on G53 motherboards (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1800-power-connector-pin-broke-on-my-G53jw&country=&status=). Replacing the power pin connector with a more robust one is a less expensive and more effective repair option than motherboard replacement if it turns out to be your problem.

Yeah, same thing happens with my wife's AC adapter. So what should I do. Already called ASUS and since I was a couple weeks out of warranty they said I would have to pay them to get it repaired.
You mention replacing the power pin may be an option, how involved is that? I've looked into soldering a new power jack, which seems more hassle than it's worth. Is that different than what you are suggesting?

Gorman
11-05-2012, 04:57 AM
I have the exact same model;

1. Replace the charger, the ones ASUS give are terrible and faulty
2. Get a 90 degree adapter to reduce stress on the pin
3. Never run it with the battery in, it just generates heat

If you want to replace the jack then I suggest finding someone who knows what they are doing. It's not too hard a job, but you could ruin your mobo if you mess it up badly. Someone who knows what they are doing will do it easily.

dstrakele
11-05-2012, 09:27 PM
If you're out of Warranty, there is no advantage in sending the laptop to ASUS. I would find a good local computer repair shop and have them diagnose the issue. Since your wife's power adapter and battery fails to resolve the issue on your laptop, you've likely isolated the problem to the motherboard.

If it turns out to be the power connector pin, I'd have them replace it with a sturdier version, similar to that discussed in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1800-power-connector-pin-broke-on-my-G53jw&p=97118&viewfull=1#post97118. Motherboard replacement will leave you with the same problematic power connector pin you have now.

Pitcher@asus
11-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Did you send your SN, ASUS is able to check your warranty time, and if OOW, you still is able to select repair which way is cheap.