PDA

View Full Version : Hivizman needs some help...

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 04:01 PM
OK this is very simple. I have a M5E motherboard.

I want to install XP on the M5E motherboard. I can not get that to happen.

I keep getting this error.

I have tried with 15 different versions of XP, from 84MB in size and stripped so bare that if I move my mouse too quick the OS will fall over. :p

To a full retail version with SP3. Still get his error.

I have tried to install via DVD, CD and USB stick. Still nothing.

I can install any and all the different OS's on a M4E motherboard with no problems.

My BIOS version is 1309

SSD - will try a mechanical platter HDD.

My BIOS is set to defaults, and the only change is with the SATA controller in IDE mode. (Have also tried with AHCI and RAID mode)

Any ideas?

TenBlade
11-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Could it be a memory issue? Try with only one stick.

Chino
11-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I've been there. M5E is picky with Windows XP. :rolleyes:

1. Is the SSD the only thing plugged into the Intel SATA III ports?

2. Did you slipstreamed the SATA AHCI drivers into the full retail SP3 ISO?

Skull6
11-06-2012, 04:34 PM
This link says it may be that you have to put the BIOS in SATA:IDE prior to installing XP (Don't know if you changed this setting prior to installation)
http://radianceguild.board-directory.com/t134-solution-to-stop0x0000007b0xf78d65240xc00000340x000000000x0000 00-error

The issue may be that most SSDs (except for all but the smaller ones for laptops) don't play well with the IDE interface, from what I've seen. I am curious to see if you still get this blue screen using the mechanical HHD.

I'm also curious as to why you'd want to use XP with that board, when Win 7 is out & solid & 8's on the shelves as well. Is this some sort of test?

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Same error with a mechanical drive.

More interesting, taking an XP OS that is fine on the M5G board, it does not post. Gets to the hand over point and then BSOD to the same error.

I bench. XP is more efficient for certain things. Just as Vista is more efficient for one benchmark. :)

Chino
11-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Did you slipstreamed the SATA AHCI drivers into the full retail SP3 ISO?

Skull6
11-06-2012, 04:47 PM
So it is a "test thing," which makes much more sense. & yes, I'm with Chino. Everything I'm finding out on the internets is leading me to believe that it's something to do with the interface--& I have seen more than one forum mention what Chino is asking.

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 04:47 PM
One of the OS had slipstreamed AHCI drivers yes. Busy doing it again myself.

Chino
11-06-2012, 04:52 PM
MVE has a problem with stripped OS. Remember my pms of frustration? lol Might as well try using your Retail SP3 first.

If all fails, let me know. I'll upload you the stripped OS that worked for me. I had to dig through all my Win XP ones just to find one that would work. :p It's a little less stripped than the 84MB one I sent your before. Ram usage from a fresh install is like 60MB. But with some tweaking you can probably get it to the same level as the 84MB one. :p

kkn
11-06-2012, 04:53 PM
instal in ata mode. ( if you have not tested it )

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks kkn - I can install Vista, Win7 and Win8 as well as Linux no problem.

Have now changed ram, to some generic crap just in case the system does not want to install OS due to a ram issue.

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Chino please do upload for me mate. This is driving me nuts. I will pull out another board and see if it is the same issue.

I can not wonder if it is a BIOS related issue. And the version of BIOS used does not support XP OS.

kkn
11-06-2012, 05:25 PM
too mutch info to post realy :P
some say cd-rom, some ata or achi++, some say virus+++
got to love all those error's that cant be pointed down to one specific part :)

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 05:29 PM
No virus as virgin SSD's.

Do not use CD rom's only as a last resort and all the OS I am trying to install I have used before.

A puzzle to say the least.

Arne Saknussemm
11-06-2012, 05:32 PM
That is the typical error at BIOS to windows handover right? that you get when you have installed in one sata mode and changed to another? But this happens when you install in any sata mode? got to be BIOS then handing over wrong.....

Chino
11-06-2012, 05:48 PM
On the MVE, none of those workarounds work. I have no idea why. I was in the same predicament. Tried installing in IDE mode, modified the ntdetect.com file, tried different loaders, stripped OS, unattended OS, Retail OS, etc. Suspecting it might be a BIOS issue like HiVizMan stated. :confused:

Rockford
11-06-2012, 05:50 PM
2 much Thermal paste?

I think that could be the issue..

Virus in bios?

i would also check, that the psu is installed 100% vertically. if slightly tilted, it could fail to post into bios..

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 05:55 PM
2 much Thermal paste?

I think that could be the issue..

Virus in bios?

Thermal paste - has to be that. I am using the green stuff. :D

Arne Saknussemm
11-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Wait it's Tuesday.....can't install XP on Tuesdays....not with a waning gibbous moon!

Skull6
11-06-2012, 07:40 PM
It's 5 o'clock somewhere? :D

Raja@ASUS
11-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Only time I have seen this is when wrong SATA ports were used. Black ones in IDE are fine for me - with all the XPs I have here.

Zka17
11-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I've got the very same issue on the MVG when I tried to install WinXP on a HDD... setting the SATA mode to IDE resolved the problem - I already told you this... However, not sure if I also mentioned that I disabled everything else on the mobo's BIOS... only the SATA ports on the Intel controller, the rest is disabled...

Raja@ASUS
11-06-2012, 08:16 PM
You need to stay off the Intel 6G ports.

driftingforlife
11-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Just tried XP on my MVF on the sata 2 ports in IDE and I get the pci.sys error.

Raja@ASUS
11-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Thats cos you're from the UK like him. I am Indian, so it works... :D

Zka17
11-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh, and my BIOS version is 0602...

You can check the SATA port I connected the HDD in my last submission on the SuperPi thread (post #438)... red is HDD, black is ODD...

Raja@ASUS
11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I am not interested in which ports you used mate. I just use what works for me. I'm not the one with the issue here am I? :P

Zka17
11-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Sorry, Raja, I didn't meant that way... of course, everyone can check it... - already corrected it! :)

And also, my mobo is the MVG, so these may not be helpful at all... just shared for any case...

Raja@ASUS
11-06-2012, 08:44 PM
You do realise I am poking fun don'tcha? :D

cl-scott
11-06-2012, 08:54 PM

Not everyone is quite as demented as you. :rolleyes:

Raja@ASUS
11-06-2012, 09:12 PM
If you hadn't told them they would have carried on thinking I am more sane than they are... :D

Zka17
11-06-2012, 09:18 PM

Now I do realize it... LOL :D I'm multitasking again... and doing that seemingly my English understanding has some weaknesses... :)

Myk SilentShadow
11-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Wow, HivizMan. i'm surprised you're having these problems...you did download the ISO I posted and linked back to you with the AHCI drivers i'd slipstreamed into it?

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Only time I have seen this is when wrong SATA ports were used. Black ones in IDE are fine for me - with all the XPs I have here.

Now why did I not think of trying the different SATA ports, oh wait I did. :o

I've got the very same issue on the MVG when I tried to install WinXP on a HDD... setting the SATA mode to IDE resolved the problem - I already told you this... However, not sure if I also mentioned that I disabled everything else on the mobo's BIOS... only the SATA ports on the Intel controller, the rest is disabled...

Yip - do all that.

You need to stay off the Intel 6G ports.

Please dude, just one more hit of the Intel 6G ports, I know I can give them up, just one more, please please one more....

Thats cos you're from the UK like him. I am Indian, so it works... :D

And here I thought you were Mexican. :D

I am not interested in which ports you used mate. I just use what works for me. I'm not the one with the issue here am I? :P

BWAHAHHAHAHAAAHA

Sorry, Raja, I didn't meant that way... of course, everyone can check it... - already corrected it! :)

And also, my mobo is the MVG, so these may not be helpful at all... just shared for any case...

Don't let Raja mess with your head, he has the most wicked sense of humour imaginable. Bad Raja winding Zka41 up like that.

Not everyone is quite as demented as you. :rolleyes:

Scott are you speaking to your self again?

Now I do realize it... LOL :D I'm multitasking again... and doing that seemingly my English understanding has some weaknesses... :)

You are forgiven most folks do not quite know how to take Raja at the best of times. And when he is in the zone so to speak just sit back and enjoy, you should ask him about slippers. And the less we say about Scott, man have those two together in the same thread and it is a nightmare. A Tim Burton moment you could say.

Zka17
11-06-2012, 09:34 PM
He-he... :D

Older BIOS version?

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah that is the last resort. I am going to flash back now. All the new OS that I put together just bomb. I am also going to get another board and see if it is all boards or just my one.

Skull6
11-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I'd try another board. Too much of that green paste will do it EVERY time.

P.S. Raja's from India?! All this time I thought he was from Southern California.

Arne Saknussemm
11-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Hmmm what else....mouse keyboard weird chipset conflict. tried old ps2 stuff? Cosmic ray shielding?

cl-scott
11-06-2012, 10:01 PM
If you hadn't told them they would have carried on thinking I am more sane than they are... :D

You get me that part number for the BIOS chip, I'll consider letting people labor under false impressions of you here. :D

cl-scott
11-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Scott are you speaking to your self again?

The way I see things, you're the one kidnapping the magic elves of the world, and now you're the one having problems. :D

Hmmm what else....mouse keyboard weird chipset conflict. tried old ps2 stuff? Cosmic ray shielding?

Hmmm... Now if we just made this hat out of tinfoil...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AzEyXriWWLs/T0A6dFxXO4I/AAAAAAAAIMY/vho8saFGx8Q/s1600/P1015576.JPG

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 10:09 PM
No PS2 for the motherboard...that is what I am leaning towards as being the cause for the no boot.

Scott you look much older in your photo :D

squawker
11-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Hi HiViz,

Could be the partioning mode the drive has?

It seems Windows XP can't boot from GPT drives, and in my OS installations .cap bios have the tendency to provide a GPT partition mode, instead of MBR.

Hope you solve the issue.

cl-scott
11-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Scott you look much older in your photo :D

I'm reminded of a Carlin quote, and I'll have to paraphrase a little, but I think it would apply in your case: All the George Lucas magic in Hollywood will not change the unfortunate genetic configuration on the face of Vizzy. Keep him out of public view.

I, on the other hand, am absolutely adorable. So cute and loveable, in fact, that I'm forever perplexed as to why people don't just give me things for deigning to pay even a modicum of attention to them. :D

Myk SilentShadow
11-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Nah, lack of PS/2 has nothing to do with the BSOD code...it's only in regards to the SATA modes. When I first got your ISO and installed it, I got that lovely 0000007B code myself, tried swapping between the two SATA modes without success. So I downloaded the AHCI drivers off ASUS' website for the CHVF, slipstreamed them into your ISO, burnt another CD, rebooted and got a successful install and boot.

And the ISO link I sent to you...has the latest(at the time) versions of AHCI drivers for the RIV, MIV, MV and CHVF boards

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Nah, lack of PS/2 has nothing to do with the BSOD code...it's only in regards to the SATA modes. When I first got your ISO and installed it, I got that lovely 0000007B code myself, tried swapping between the two SATA modes without success. So I downloaded the AHCI drivers off ASUS' website for the CHVF, slipstreamed them into your ISO, burnt another CD, rebooted and got a successful install and boot.

And the ISO link I sent to you...has the latest(at the time) versions of AHCI drivers for the RIV, MIV, MV and CHVF boards

Yeah I tried it Myk, but get an error that a file is missing.

What BIOS is your board on?

Myk SilentShadow
11-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Currently my CHVF is running on 1605

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 10:59 PM
OK I went back to the release BIOS and it installed like a dream. 5mins and the install was done. My original OS, so it is BIOS related that is preventing the OS from being installed.

Zka17
11-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Excellent! :cool:

Now just one question remains... If you installed WinXP with the release BIOS, and then update the BIOS - would the previously installed XP work?

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Well what I am going to do is swap BIOS chips.

That should answer the question.

Arne Saknussemm
11-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Cool bananas! problem solved!:cool:

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Well no, what is resolved is that I can install OS on the motherboard. What is still a puzzle is why I can not install it on the latest BIOS?

Arne Saknussemm
11-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Well yeah apart from that ...just get Raja to write you new one...:D It was a good flash right?

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 11:26 PM
LOL yeah it was a good flash used my best raincoat....

Arne Saknussemm
11-06-2012, 11:31 PM
ROG....Raincoat Opens..... Good grief!!!

cl-scott
11-06-2012, 11:34 PM
LOL yeah it was a good flash used my best raincoat....

Won't SOMEONE think of the children?!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go poke out my mind's eye.

HiVizMan
11-06-2012, 11:44 PM
The OS posts on the other BIOS

This has just confounded me.

Oh Scott apparently Jimmy did that quite a bit.

driftingforlife
11-07-2012, 12:02 AM
This is probably waaay off but could it be to do with the W8 stuff in the newer BIOS's?

PlaneName
11-07-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm glad you got it fixed!. It is very strange an BIOS stopping the OS getting installed, the only main issue I know is if the OS disc is corrupted or HDD failure but I never come across to the BIOS.

Raja@ASUS
11-07-2012, 04:13 AM
Well no, what is resolved is that I can install OS on the motherboard. What is still a puzzle is why I can not install it on the latest BIOS?

You deserve an in-char response (raincoat antics for one thing), so here goes:

I keep telling you to stay off the SATA 6G ports :)

I would have more faith if you had not so fervently come looking for my help/insight year. You self-proclaimed best benchers are all the same - can't understand **** on your own. :D

Don't try to understand why and do us all a favor. Plug the cable into a 3G port. :P

That concludes today's lesson.

HiVizMan
11-07-2012, 03:58 PM
LOL

But you know we love the 6G Sata ports they just smell so nice.

Zka17
11-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Just to understand correctly... When you upgraded the BIOS after the WinXP installation on the release BIOS, was it working correctly?

HiVizMan
11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
What I did Zka17 was install the OS on the release BIOS.

Then powered down and selected the other BIOS using the selector switch.

OS booted perfectly.

That is all I did.

Zka17
11-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Thank you! Now I will have to find out if flashing the BIOS would work too... I'm on MVG (no dual-BIOS)...

cl-scott
11-07-2012, 07:16 PM
LOL

But you know we love the 6G Sata ports they just smell so nice.

Modeling glue is far more portable.

Skull6
11-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Kudos to getting it to finally work!

& my guesses as to why it didn't work in the first place?

1) planetary mis-alignment?
2) Raja needed to mention something about 6G ports in just one more thread?
3) you weren't holding your lips right!

cl-scott
11-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Kudos to getting it to finally work!

& my guesses as to why it didn't work in the first place?

1) planetary mis-alignment?
2) Raja needed to mention something about 6G ports in just one more thread?
3) you weren't holding your lips right!

How about 4) Holes in the tinfoil hat ?

Skull6
11-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Scott, I was trying to be nice. I was planning on rubbing it in to HiVizMan even more, such as your suggestion, but then I remembered Grandma always saying that I shouldn't pick on the handicapped...

HiVizMan
11-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Scott, I was trying to be nice. I was planning on rubbing it in to HiVizMan even more, such as your suggestion, but then I remembered Grandma always saying that I shouldn't pick on the handicapped...

And it is for that reason that we are all so very nice and polite to dear Scott. You would not know it looking at the self portrait photo he shared, he is the bloke with the silver hat on, that Scott is actually in his late sixties. Poor man ages backwards and that puberty shift was rather traumatic as you saw. :)

cl-scott
11-07-2012, 10:24 PM

My answer to that, is that if we didn't beat dead horses, where would the world's glue supply come from?

And it is for that reason that we are all so very nice and polite to dear Scott. You would not know it looking at the self portrait photo he shared, he is the bloke with the silver hat on, that Scott is actually in his late sixties. Poor man ages backwards and that puberty shift was rather traumatic as you saw. :)

And speaking of glue... Maybe it's time for you to find a different brand to huff.

Or, maybe I'll figure out some way to convince the CLM team's resident firestarter that you were somehow responsible for some great annoyance in her life... Which I'll manufacture naturally. I'll just have Raja slip me some of your personal details, then I can fake up a few reviews that she'll see, maybe a forged email or two. I'll even enlist the help of one of my friends. He is routinely, and very deservedly I might add, beaten by his wife for stupid things he says and does. She killed a light when some guy was just being a jerk, so if we enlist the skills of a pro, you'll be lucky if there's enough left of you to put in an urn. Not sure the range on her immolation abilities, but if you're the test subject, I'm quite keen to find out. :D

Skull6
11-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Can I sell tickets? Please? :D

HiVizMan
11-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Can I sell tickets? Please? :D

Oh we have been selling ticket for ages, problem is they are raffle tickets and each time there is a winner after the draw (I do hesitate to call it a lucky draw), they keep bringing Scott back. Maybe we need to change the prize. :eek:

cl-scott
11-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Oh we have been selling ticket for ages, problem is they are raffle tickets and each time there is a winner after the draw (I do hesitate to call it a lucky draw), they keep bringing Scott back. Maybe we need to change the prize. :eek:

How quickly we forget. A good chunk of change was made off of people who paid us to take you back before finally we had government officials sniffing around about possible slave trading. While I'm sure they would have agreed in principle that what we were doing was morally justified, after we explained it to them, who takes the time to actually understand complex situations these days?

And I'm sure we can find some way for you to help out Skull6, but you'll have to get in line, and I'm afraid that line is rather long. :eek:

BTW, I hope I am not the only one who appreciates the subject of this thread given the direction the discussion has taken. :D

HiVizMan
11-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Funny thing is Scott, we are all actually on topic, and those big mean moderators, do we still have any? Can not come into this thread and say get back OT. LOL

Raja@ASUS
11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
What's getting me is this:

The thought of you at various vendor events, "doing a line" of SATA ports then getting high and shaking everyone's hand and introducing yourself as a bencher....

Mick Jaggeresque "Oh yeah 6G baby!"

HiVizMan
11-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Killer image without doubt. Geriatric rockers meet geriatric bencher. Swapping war stores - "so have you tried those 3.5mm jacks yet?"

Raja@ASUS
11-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Pulls out eye loupe or monocle and gets up close and personal....

HiVizMan
11-08-2012, 09:18 AM
All the while glancing furtively at the row of SATA6G's just sitting there. Thinking just one more.

Raja@ASUS
11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
It's almost akin to when Clarkson finds a car he really loves on Top Gear. They do the side profile passenger seat camera shot and Clarkie kinda bites his knuckle as if in awe of what he is driving. I bet seeing one of those ASR Extreme 11s did that to you.... :D

HiVizMan
11-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Oh you are a bad boy - "8 SAS2/SATA3 (6 Gb/s) from LSI™ SAS 2308 PCIe 3.0 Controller" what a rush.

cl-scott
11-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Funny thing is Scott, we are all actually on topic, and those big mean moderators, do we still have any? Can not come into this thread and say get back OT. LOL

Wait, hold up! We have moderators here?! When did that happen? :D

And does NHS cover adult nappies?

HiVizMan
11-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Wait, hold up! We have moderators here?! When did that happen? :D

And does NHS cover adult nappies?

Sadly not, something that just does not get the correct amount of attention for such an important subject.

cl-scott
11-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Sadly not, something that just does not get the correct amount of attention for such an important subject.

After running a couple of possible responses in my head, figuring it's probably better to just drop that particular line of discussion. I think the less we know about the bowel movements of geriatric benchers the better. In fact, I think I'd be quite happy to go on in blissful ignorance, and just assume it never happens. We all know you need help, but there's limits to the kinds of help we're all willing to give.

If you ever need a good knock upside the head, then I think we can find you plenty of volunteers.

So anyway... You ever done benchmarking BOFH style?

Skull6
11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
BOFH? Is that anything like Gangham Style?

& as to why you can now update the bios to the latest version, but you cannot do an OS install with the latest bios already flashed is probably something simple. Drivers are now present that assist in a component being recognized correctly, polarity of a transistor being read correctly, or it could even be a specific subroutine..."IF BIOS = {new} THEN crash..."

cl-scott
11-08-2012, 07:21 PM
No.... First we must correct this grievous oversight in your reading material with a link to the BOFH archive: http://bofh.ntk.net/BOFH/

I personally like the older ones the best. They were much more "raw" and you could almost feel the guy's malice. He started writing them when he was working a similar job.

But benchmarking BOFH style is to drop a computer from various heights, and then note the size, depth, etc of the mark it leaves on the bench. :)

kkn
11-08-2012, 07:30 PM
lol nice link scott, love those :P

Skull6
11-08-2012, 08:31 PM
"Those were the days!"

HiVizMan
11-09-2012, 08:32 AM
We are all soooo showing our age. But yeah that was ^^^^ my reaction too. :o

cl-scott
11-09-2012, 05:47 PM
We are all soooo showing our age. But yeah that was ^^^^ my reaction too. :o

Do zombies age? I always thought they just sort of fell apart, like a leper. :confused:

Skull6
11-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Everything "ages," as time keeps marching on.

In biology the old saying is that "If something stagnates, it's dying or dead." I use this as an excuse to get up & away from the computer desk every so often...but it hasn't helped my online game survivability one iota yet! ;)