PDA

View Full Version : G55VW Sound problem using Headsets

Mers_AT
11-07-2012, 07:53 AM
hi,

I hope it is okay to post a problem with my new notebook here. maybe someone has an idea how to resolve it.

my problem is, that I didn't get any sound at the connected headset.

in detail:
if I connect a normal pc headset (eg. from logitech) to the audio output (sp/dif connector) it seems not to be recognized. the sound still comes from the internal speakers and there is no sound at all at the headset.

additional information:
- the headset is working fine for other computers
- I also tried another headset, which didn't work too
- after buying this notebook I ran the windows update several times until all updates have been installed
- the initial driver version for the VIA High Definition Audio device was V6.0.01.10400. I updated the driver with the version V6.0.01.10600 from the asus download site
- after installing this new driver I could find a new device in the windows sound configuration as well as in the VIA HD VDeck config tool called "headset". also with setting this device to "default" there was still no sound. after rebooting the notebook the headset device disappeared in both config tools (windows sound manager and VIA HD VDeck)
- right now windows identifies two devices (except the NVIDIA for HDMI). 1.) the internal speakers and 2.) a SPDIF Interface. also by setting the SPDIF Interface to be the default device I have still no sound at any headset

some more hints/questions:
- as SPDif is usually used for digital output, is it actually possible to connect a normal (non digital) stereo headset, or is there a special headset required?
- it seems that the connected headset is not recognized, because according to the manual the sound of the internal speakers should be muted, if a headset is connected at the SP/Dif connector

additionally I attached some screenshots of my settings. unfortunately they are in german, because this is my native language. maybe they are helpful anyway.

I would kindly ask you for a solution, because right now I can't use this notebook as intended. neighter for gaming at home nor for listening music in the office because if sound is only comming from the internal speakers, I always disturb the people next to me.

thank you in advance!

kind regards,
dominik lasser

Pitcher@asus
11-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Hi, could you tell me your headset is SPDIF interface or line in-out generally interface? if your headset is gererally interface, please change default set form SPDIF to Lausprecher and try again.

rewben
11-08-2012, 02:46 AM
try these steps:

1. uninstall your via hd driver, reboot.
2. install this version (dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Audio/Audio_VIA_Win7_64_Z60101100.zip)
3. reboot twice.

Mers_AT
11-08-2012, 08:29 AM
hi,

first of all, thank you very much for your support!

@Mike_Lu@ASUS:
I tried out 3 different headsets now, but they all have line in-out generally interface. I don't have headsets with SPDif interface. is this required or will it work with spdif interface headsets for sure?

I also set the normal speakers ("lautsprecher") to default -> no change

@rewben
I performed all steps you described but after I did the second restart as you mentioned in step 3 the notebook hangs while booting after showing the message "windows will be started". I restarted again and windows was able to boot. unfortunately still no sound.

I attache new screenshots with the actual driver info and via hd tool settings. BUT in this VIA HD tool, you can see two pictures of the External Jacks. shouldn't they somehow show if a device is connected or not? it still seems, that the headset is not recognized by the driver.

I am a little bit despair about this issue, because it doesn't seem to be solved easily. do you have any other ideas or do I have some other options, like buying a headset with spdif interface, or buying a headset with USB interface? I would do it, if this will solve this issue for 100%.

anyhow, thanks again for your help!

rewben
11-08-2012, 09:40 AM
hi,
I performed all steps you described but after I did the second restart as you mentioned in step 3 the notebook hangs while booting after showing the message "windows will be started". I restarted again and windows was able to boot. unfortunately still no sound.

I attache new screenshots with the actual driver info and via hd tool settings. BUT in this VIA HD tool, you can see two pictures of the External Jacks. shouldn't they somehow show if a device is connected or not? it still seems, that the headset is not recognized by the driver.

I am a little bit despair about this issue, because it doesn't seem to be solved easily. do you have any other ideas or do I have some other options, like buying a headset with spdif interface, or buying a headset with USB interface? I would do it, if this will solve this issue for 100%.

anyhow, thanks again for your help!

wow, hang? i asked you to try that version because previously it worked for me, showing all the controls (i.e. speakers, headphones, etc.) the latest version i am using now is 60101200 (http://nbtsd.asustreiber.de/Audio/VIA/v6.0.10.1200.zip). it is working (when the headphones are plugged in, the speaker is off) BUT the headphones tab is missing (pretty much like your screenshot; but the difference is that i have both indicators - the ones you circled - showing highlights when i plug in the headphones)

if you want, you can try to install the driver i mentioned above (60101200). i'm not sure if it worked for you, though.

VIA HD audio is really a pita lol!

edit: i can test my headsets with the speaker's testing page.

Mers_AT
11-08-2012, 10:10 AM
wow, hang?

it shows the black screen and the text "windows will be started" just right before these colored objects from the back are flying to the front and "create" the windows logo. and that's it. no "flying objects" and no progress. I waited about 10min before restarting again.

BUT the headphones tab is missing (pretty much like your screenshot;

if found out, that the headset device was shown in the windows sound device manager AFTER removing the VIA HD software and drivers, but it is shown somehow as inactive or not connected device. after installing the driver you mentioned, this device disappeared in the windows sound device manager. but obviously it is not required, because you have it neither.

but the difference is that i have both indicators - the ones you circled - showing highlights when i plug in the headphones)
exactly, this is why I assume that my headset is not detected by the notebook. as I mentioned in my previous post, I just tried 3 different headsets with general line-in interface, NO spdif interface. is this the reason, or do you also use a "normal" not spdif interface headset?

edit: i can test my headsets with the speaker's testing page.
allready done. the sound is just comming from the internal speakers.

I have really the strong opinion, that the notebook does not detect my connected headsets and this is the reason why I don't get any sound. now the question is, why? or maybe I am wrong ... *crying .....*

rewben
11-08-2012, 10:56 AM
when i used the drivers (601010600) from asus i had the same problem (speakers play sound while headphones are plugged in). with the newer driver builds the issue was fixed for me. i use a normal headset with green (sound) and pink (mic) pins. i don't have any spdif device.

ok let us try again; this time, please do this:

1. uninstall your via hd driver from control panel > programs and features, and reboot.
2. go to your c:\program files\ and c:\program files (x86)\ and find the folders with the name 'VIA'. delete them.
3. install the new driver (60101200).
4. reboot twice.

c_man
11-08-2012, 11:25 AM
It not exactly the 10600 with the problem, but the way these drivers install/update. You need them right from the start. I use 10600 and it's fine.

rewben
11-08-2012, 11:42 AM
oh ok. that means it's important to clear all the settings and files related to VIA first.

Mers_AT
11-08-2012, 12:05 PM
ok I did the following now:

1.) remove the driver from the windows control panel
2.) uninstalled the VIA HD software
3.) deleted the VIA directories from C:\program files and c\program files (x86)
4.) reboot
5.) installed the driver 60101200
6.) reboot twice

result -> no sound, and it still seems that it doesn't detect a connected headset -> these External Jacks in the VIA tool remain unchanged if I connect a headset

than I did a second try:
1.) remove the driver vom the windows control panel -> via hd audio device was gone
2.) immediately look for changed hardware in the control panel -> via hd audio device appears again
3.) navigate to the control panel driver tab of the via hd device
4.) select the option "update driver" -> select driver vom file/directory
5.) choose the directory of the V6.0.01.10600
6.) driver installed

result -> still no sound and no external jack somehow highlighted

@rewben: in you last post you said I had to remove all settings, files ... first

didn't we do that allready, or can you please tell me in some more details what exactly do I have to do now?

dstrakele
11-08-2012, 12:43 PM
I believe your troubleshooting is pointing to a defective headphone jack. Contact your retailer and see if you can exchange your defective laptop for a new one.

Mers_AT
11-08-2012, 01:34 PM
a defective jack is possible for sure, but I would like to take this as the last possibility. also the exchange process is not that easy here. you can bring the notebook to your retailer, who will send it to ASUS. if you are lucky you will get it back after weeks, somtimes repaired or even not. just an exchange like you have in the US is not common in europe :(
but you are right, this might be the last step for me I can do ...

additionally, also the micro jack has the same problem -> micro doesn't seem to be detected by the notebook.

rewben
11-09-2012, 02:09 AM
ok I did the following now:

1.) remove the driver from the windows control panel
2.) uninstalled the VIA HD software
3.) deleted the VIA directories from C:\program files and c\program files (x86)
4.) reboot
5.) installed the driver 60101200
6.) reboot twice

result -> no sound, and it still seems that it doesn't detect a connected headset -> these External Jacks in the VIA tool remain unchanged if I connect a headset

than I did a second try:
1.) remove the driver vom the windows control panel -> via hd audio device was gone
2.) immediately look for changed hardware in the control panel -> via hd audio device appears again
3.) navigate to the control panel driver tab of the via hd device
4.) select the option "update driver" -> select driver vom file/directory
5.) choose the directory of the V6.0.01.10600
6.) driver installed

result -> still no sound and no external jack somehow highlighted

@rewben: in you last post you said I had to remove all settings, files ... first

didn't we do that allready, or can you please tell me in some more details what exactly do I have to do now?
the funny thing about via drivers is that you should reboot twice every time you do this type of driver upgrades. rebooting only once usually does not make the via drivers and friends work.

i am sorry i am not sure what files or settings (registries or whatnot) have to be removed :/ because most of the times the steps i mentioned above (upgraded or downgraded drivers) should have solved my sound issues.

and, if these steps did not fix things, it's very likely that it's a physical problem of your headphone jack (maybe loose connection; maybe defective jack), as @dstrakele pointed out.

edit: by the way, can you use your headphones without via drivers?

dstrakele
11-09-2012, 02:20 AM
...by the way, can you use your headphones without via drivers?

This is why I believe both the headphone and microphone jacks are not connected or in some way defective. He reports the headphone device does appear in the Windows Sound dialog after uninstalling the VIA driver, but is shown as inactive. No one else is reporting headphone problems on the Windows Plug-N-Play audio driver - only that the subwoofer is not functional.

...the headset device was shown in the windows sound device manager AFTER removing the VIA HD software and drivers, but it is shown somehow as inactive or not connected device. after installing the driver you mentioned, this device disappeared in the windows sound device manager. but obviously it is not required, because you have it neither.

rewben
11-09-2012, 02:34 AM
@dstrakele, ah.. you're right about that :/ i thought changing VIA drivers might help.

Mers_AT
11-09-2012, 07:05 AM
I just tried out two new headsets (still with line-in/out interface, but new) I found at home. same result and I am more and more convinced that it is more a hardware than a software issue.

well, meanwhile I opened a ticket at the technical ASUS support but the reply was a little bit disappointing. they didn't say a word regarding this issue, just sent some general info to me, like: do a hard reset (disconnect power), update bios and finally reinstall the operating system from scratch.

me (as well as you guys) spent hours or days with setting up this notebook correctly and also with trying to solve this issue. as this is a brand new notebook and I had this issue from the very first beginning, so I am not convinced at all, that a reinstallation will solve this issue.

so is it okay if I ask you a final question, whether you would agree to their proposal (reinstallation) or should I send it for repairing?

in any case I would thank you, not only for your help, but also for your time you spent trying to solve this issue with me!

rewben
11-09-2012, 09:09 AM
@Mers_AT,

at this point i think there is not much we can do now, because it's likely that this is a hardware defect and fresh install might not help at all.

1. if your unit is still within return window, i think it's good for you to change a new unit.

2. if the shop that you bought it from is a local authorized reseller for ASUS, maybe you can ask them to open up your laptop to check if it's the connection problem. they might fix it by reconnecting the jack properly (er.. provided that they have experienced staff). i still think it's a quick fix, if it's only the connection problem and you should get it back in no time.

3. however, if they really need to do RMA, i think you can leave your notes on the desktop, describing what happened (and point them to this thread; i'm not sure if they need to replace the mobo for this one). cl-scott in this forum might be the guy who can help you out, too.

edit: almost all customer support from any company has certain trouble-shooting processes to follow. they're just following the usual protocols (unless you have pointed them to this thread, and they still did that, then it's a different story)

Mers_AT
11-09-2012, 11:05 AM
@rewben: thanks again for your comments!

yes, I bought it some days ago, so I am sure I am within the return window. the retailer where I bought it, is an official authorized ASUS reseller, but the problem is, that almost none of these resellers have their own repair departement. all they do is to send it to ASUS or another repair company. but I will ask them for your proposed option anyway. maybe there is someone who is authorized to check this issue directly without senden the notebook to ASUS.

in case of an RMA I can point them to this thread for sure, but I am not sure, whether the european support ( I am from austria/europe) will consult the US ROG forum. but I will also try this anyway!

I really hope that they agree to an exchange and furthermore I somehow hope, that it is really a hardware issue at my notebook and not related to some incorrect configuration ...

anyway, I have to say thank you again!

rewben
11-09-2012, 11:18 AM
sorry to say this, but i suggest you do the first option, it's better and the quickest way to get one back asap :/

yes, please ask them to try the headphone jack out.

luckily we have dstrakele here :D if not i will continue to bring you to nowhere lol!

Mers_AT
11-09-2012, 12:35 PM
your suggested first option is for sure the most prefered one, even though I have to spend again a lot of time setting up everything again, but I am willing to take this.

but the question is, whether it will be so easy to convince the reseller to "take back" a "used" unit and to exchange this for a new one. this is going to take some persuasion but I will go for it :D

yes, you are right! many thanks also to dstrakele who supported my assumtion that it is a hardware issue. hopefully we are right :D

so lets see whether I will get some feedback after visiting the reseller today, or whether I have to wait for returning the unit from RMA ...

dstrakele
11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I think it is worthwhile to do an F9 ASUS Factory Restore. It will return your laptop to an out-of-the-box state and wipe any personal files you've stored on the OS partition. It is also likely the first thing ASUS will do at the repair facility. I think the odds are small of resolving the issue, but you'd hate to have not done it if it could prevent the RMA.

Alternatively, booting into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution would be another way to confirm the problem is hardware-related without altering any files on the laptop.

Mers_AT
11-10-2012, 01:28 PM
oh, oh ...

yesterday I went to my reseller, who also checked the notebook and agreed, that the output device is somehow defective. he also agreed to exchange the notebook and I will get a new one on monday.

in the meanwhile I tried the notebook with an ubuntu 12.04 live cd and I couldn't belive it, but IT IS WORKING!!!
I tried it out by listening a webradio and I could really hear perfekt sound at the headset. the internal speakers are not muted while the headset are connected, but in general it worked!

OMG, what to do now?

is there any other driver who can be responsible for this problem? I heard that for this notebook the sound is comming from the chipset. I am really desperate now :(

dstrakele
11-10-2012, 01:43 PM
You could be dealing with a Windows 7 issue rather than a Realtek driver issue. Try the F9 ASUS Factory Restore, or better yet, a clean Windows 7 install, to see if it resolves the issue.

You could also try System File Checker (sfc /scannow) to refresh your current Windows system files to see if it provides a fix prior to reinstalling Windows 7.

Mers_AT
11-10-2012, 01:52 PM
ok, I will do that, but what could be responsible for that? I didn't modify anything for the sound settings. all I did after I started the notebook the first time, was to update windows :(

ok, so lets reinstall ...

dstrakele
11-10-2012, 02:22 PM
The NVIDIA driver also interfaces with the Realtek chip for HDMI audio. You typically see multiple NVIDIA audio drivers listed in Device Manager for the Sound Card, but I see only one in your screenshot.
EDIT: Ignore the above, paragraph. As usual, I don't know what I'm talking about...

ANY update can result in a problem. The best thing to do in that case is to use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the update(s).

rewben
11-10-2012, 02:41 PM
wow. this is a good puzzle :/

@dstrakele, uh? in my device manager i have only one nvidia entry: nvidia high definition audio.

dstrakele
11-10-2012, 02:57 PM
I guess that's correct for the G55 then. The G55 also has that wonderful VIA sound card instead of a Realtek. I 'll be awake in a couple more hours....

It was interesting to see @Mers_AT already had the "sound through built-in speakers with headphones plugged in" issue when Ubuntu got things working.

I have 4 instances of an NVIDIA driver in the sound card section of Device Manager on my G74SX (which is normal for that model).

Mers_AT
11-10-2012, 03:00 PM
I am currently runnig the restore to factory defaults routine (F9)

lets see what will be the result after completion -> 25% right now

rewben
11-10-2012, 03:06 PM
@dstrakele, got it thanks!

still, this is a weird case for me. too bad i had done fresh install since day one. never had a chance to really dig deeper.

dstrakele
11-10-2012, 03:28 PM
That's a concern that the fresh install didn't resolve the issue. You might also run CHKDSK to confirm your file system is sound. A defective HDD could be corrupting your files.

Otherwise, unless you're really enjoying this puzzle, the best action may be to just accept the exchange to a new laptop and let ASUS sort out your present G55. That's what I'd be doing if I was in your situation.

rewben
11-10-2012, 03:54 PM
yeah, i second that :/ it's better to do the exchange than to deal with the potential headaches later.

Mers_AT
11-10-2012, 04:30 PM
ok, finally the reset completed and - surprise, surprise - no sound at the headset, only internal speakers work fine.

the notebook has just started the first time after the reset and I didn't change or configure anything. so do I have to configure anything at any tool, or is the headset supposed to be working without changing settings? I guess so, or am I wrong?

so, I don't know what to do now. it is working with ubuntu but not working with windows, neither after a reset to factory default installation.

the only thing I can do right now is trying to install win7 from a win7 dvd, and not from this safety partition of the notebook. but to be honest, I spent so much time in investigation, I am really tired now.

as you proposed I can wait for monday, exchange the unit and hope that the new unit will not have the same problem.

I just spent so much time in trying to resolve this issue because I would feeld ashamed, if it is just a config failure I did, or I missed something to configure.

so, if you tell me there is nothing to configure and it should work "out of the box" after this reset I would really give up and go for the exchange.

dstrakele
11-10-2012, 04:46 PM
It should work without any configuration. You've done enough troubleshooting. Take the exchange.

Mers_AT
11-10-2012, 04:59 PM
ok, I will go for the exchange. the reseller told me, I can try it out directly at his shop. so we will see ...

one more time: thanks to everbody!

rewben
11-10-2012, 05:36 PM
good luck!

Mers_AT
11-13-2012, 08:23 AM
back with new information:

yesterday I got the new unit from the reseller and it has the same audio driver and bios version as the "defective" unit.
after running all available windows updates I can confirm, that my headset is working now - but almost perfect!

the only weakness with the sound is, that if the headset is already connected to the notebook and you start a new application, the sound is comming from the internal speakers and also from the headset. after disconnecting and reconnecting the headset the internal speakers are muted correctly and the sound is only on the headset. I am not quite sure, whether there is an easy way to resolve this as well, but with respect to the troubles recently, I am not sure, whether I should try to resolve it :D

not perfect, but this is a fact I can live with :D

gentlemen, respectfully I want to thank you again!

rewben
11-13-2012, 09:41 AM
@Mers_AT, glad to hear that :)

you can try to play with the via hd drivers and see if they fixed your issues. i'm not sure what happened but mine works fine with 100900, 101100, and now 101200 (this one with missing headphone tab), i.e. fn keys work; internal speakers auto-muted when the headset is plugged in. if they're not working for you, just revert to the best one. good luck!

hlorenzl
11-13-2012, 11:19 AM
back with new information:

yesterday I got the new unit from the reseller and it has the same audio driver and bios version as the "defective" unit.
after running all available windows updates I can confirm, that my headset is working now - but almost perfect!

the only weakness with the sound is, that if the headset is already connected to the notebook and you start a new application, the sound is comming from the internal speakers and also from the headset. after disconnecting and reconnecting the headset the internal speakers are muted correctly and the sound is only on the headset. I am not quite sure, whether there is an easy way to resolve this as well, but with respect to the troubles recently, I am not sure, whether I should try to resolve it :D

not perfect, but this is a fact I can live with :D

gentlemen, respectfully I want to thank you again!

Hi! I had the same problem when my G55 was still fresh from the box. When I plug-in a headset/headphones while running windows media player, the sound can be heard from both the internal speakers and the headphones. But when I try to move the speakers volume via the "Application Volume Control for Speakers" (found at the lowermost right of the taskbar), the internal speaker shuts off and you can only hear it from the headphones. So that's how I do it back then. I just don't know what corrected it now but every time I plug in my headphones, I don't encounter the problem anymore. Well as far as I know I only did some Windows 7 updates and manually downloaded drivers from the ROG site and manually installed them. I don't use, by the way, the Asus Live Update Utility as I believe it has caused me some minor problems before so I already uninstalled it.

One more thing, I just wonder in the pictures from your first post why your default device for playback was the SPDIF Interface and not the "Speakers" while on your VIA HD Audio Deck, the Default Device was the "Speakers". Maybe there was really something that causes a conflict between the drivers? Anyway, good to know that you don't have any of such problems anymore. Hope you enjoy your new unit of G55. ;)

Mers_AT
11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
@hlorenzl: it seems my situation is a little bit differnt to yours. imagine, my headset is allready connected to the notebook. when I now start a new application (like media player) I would expect the sound to have it only at the headset, because it is connected. but for me the sound is also starting from the internal speakers, even if the headset is connected.
if I disconnect and reconnect the headset it immediately mutes the internal speakers and the sound is correctly comming from the headset only.

so I don't know why the sound is starting from the internal speakers at all, when a headset is connected but for me this is much better than the previous situation where I had sound at the internal speakers only :D

regarding the pictures: by default the speakers were configured as the default device. I created this picture after some hours trying to resolve the original issue, e.g. by setting the spdif as a default interface, because the headset is connected to this interface ;)

@rewben: honestly I am a little bit afraid of installing any new driver right now, because everything can make the situation worse :D maybe you can understand this, but I thank you for your suggestion!

rewben
11-13-2012, 02:01 PM
yeah this was a terrible experience haha! but you're still in time to get a new unit with less problems :)

hopefully the next release of the drivers will fix those funny issues.

hlorenzl
11-13-2012, 04:29 PM
@hlorenzl: it seems my situation is a little bit differnt to yours. imagine, my headset is allready connected to the notebook. when I now start a new application (like media player) I would expect the sound to have it only at the headset, because it is connected. but for me the sound is also starting from the internal speakers, even if the headset is connected.
if I disconnect and reconnect the headset it immediately mutes the internal speakers and the sound is correctly comming from the headset only.

so I don't know why the sound is starting from the internal speakers at all, when a headset is connected but for me this is much better than the previous situation where I had sound at the internal speakers only :D

Oh yes, I forgot to mention it also happens like that - connect the headset via audio jack, then run WMP, and the sounds come out on both the internal speakers and the headphones/set. Can you try plugging your headphones in then run WMP or any player? If the sound comes out on both the internal speakers and the headphones (while the headphones is still pluged in), try adjusting the system volume (or speaker volume) using the Volume Control on the taskbar. Please let me know if it shuts down the sound coming out of the internal speakers.

@hlorenzl:

regarding the pictures: by default the speakers were configured as the default device. I created this picture after some hours trying to resolve the original issue, e.g. by setting the spdif as a default interface, because the headset is connected to this interface ;)

Ah I could see it clearly now. So it is most probably a hardware defect, but we still can't disregard the possibility of a soft-related problem (such as drivers or apps conflicting with the drivers, etc.). Anyway, I believe that's not our problem anymore right? :) I hope Asus receives that unit back in their HQ and study it so they may know the root of the problem and provide us all a solution.

vda79
02-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi,
Sorry for my english
1. control panel
2. sound
3. Clicking on the speaker
4. Customize (button at the bottom left)
5. Select "stereo", etc., etc., ready
Anytime

scarletvw
02-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi,
Sorry for my english
1. control panel
2. sound
3. Clicking on the speaker
4. Customize (button at the bottom left)
5. Select "stereo", etc., etc., ready
Anytime

Only something like 3 months late. So close...

vda79
02-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Just recently bought a laptop. Helped you?