PDA

View Full Version : Is SSD RAID 0 Overkill?

snowman4839
11-08-2012, 02:39 AM
I was thinking about getting 2 256GB Crucial SSDs for my G74SX. I was just wondering if that would be overkill. I obviously use it for games and web surfing and music and movies like anyone else but would near 1000MB/s read speed be worth the investment? It's either that or just get 1 SSD and keep a larger HDD for storage. Ideas?

EDIT: also would SSDs noticeably improve battery life?

Area 66
11-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Overkill is a banned word here, lol

I see more raid 0 as a possibility to increase the capacity of the SSD

Zygomorphic
11-08-2012, 02:57 AM
SSDs will help battery life, but on the G74SX, the power draw from the disk drives is minimal compared to the CPU and especially the GPU. On something like the Zenbook UX31, the Hdd vs SSD power consumption makes a noticeable difference, but on a gaming laptop I would bet you'd get less than 15 minutes more battery. I wouldn't worry about it, though 1000 MB/s read would be sweet. :cool: Honestly, I'd say to save your money. If you have that kind of money to burn, get a new computer or save up for one.

Pitcher@asus
11-08-2012, 03:13 AM
HI, what do you want to do RAID 0, when you only are doing file transmission to fast, you is able to make RAID 0, but must be carefuling, if you disk damage, your date will be losing, if you just want to play game, i think the performance just have a little differenct, i think you are unable to make RAID 0.

Area 66
11-08-2012, 03:23 AM
I don't thing the higher risk of loosing data should be a factor, any single SSD or HD can fail too , a way to backup files should be use all the time. With a laptop , thief is also huge factor. backup backup

Zygomorphic
11-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't thing the higher risk of loosing data should be a factor, any single SSD or HD can fail too , a way to backup files should be use all the time. With a laptop , thief is also huge factor. backup backup

Exactly! RAID 0 increases the chances of data loss by a factor of N, with N being the number of drives (because any one of them failing causes the RAID array to fail). SSDs have a pretty good reliability history (though worse than HDDs as I recall), so the solution is to backup early and often. :)