PDA

View Full Version : Wow, dont know what I am facing with, is my G74sx broken?

Kyon Thinh
11-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Ok, hello guys, this is my first post, and also about my maybe broken G74sx.
Here is the problem.
I bought this Refurbished in US, and send it to Germany. Out of the box, it has some random green dots, so I install a clean windows 7. Ok, now it's better, no more green dots in desktop.
So I play some games, wow, green is everywhere, and kaboom, game freeze, black screen, cant escape to desktop, what the...
So install another driver, newest driver, newest Beta and now 296, no point, still suffering green, but now it is somehow better. It's not freezing anymore, it's underclocking to half power... I dont know what it is, maybe my laptop is broken.
I need some help, and I appreciate it. Thank you.

jdp568
11-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Try the 306 driver

dstrakele
11-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Troubleshoot the green artifacts video issue further by connecting your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV. If the external monitor doesn't display green artifacts when they appear on the laptop screen, the issue is caused by a bad LVDS cable connection, bad LVDS cable, or defective laptop display. If both display green artifacts, the problem is caused by the GPU or video driver.

Check out this thread : http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25041-G74SX-LCD-passed-away-(green-everywhere)&country=&status=.

Kyon Thinh
11-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Yes, I have tried external monitor, sorry i didnt mention it. I have read that thread too.
External monitor still has artifact, and when connect to external monitor, after a few minutes the VGA will auto underclock 1/2. And then no more artifact in both monitor, and no more smoth gaming.

dstrakele
11-10-2012, 03:58 AM
So it looks like the VGA or driver. The downclock behavior and problems with multiple driver versions seem to point at the VGA.

What GPU /CPU temperatures and Fan speeds (HWINFO64 can report these) are being reported when
1) the VGA downclocks?
2) When you get green artifacts?

If you boot into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution and reproduce the issue, it would confirm you've got a hardware problem.

Kyon Thinh
11-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Both stable at 42-46 Celcius, there is no big difference between both of them.
Even when I overclock it to 870/1550/1740, the perfomance is still at 1/2 without any artifact.
Get artifact with manufactory condition in normal desktop, then I reinstall clean copy of windows, and it appears a few second when I start a video, and when I play game, there are a lot.

Zygomorphic
11-10-2012, 11:22 AM
May I recommend Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com) as the testing environment of choice? They package the nVidia drivers so it is really easy to get them installed. Others will differ on this point, but that's fine, it is just a matter of opinion.