PDA

View Full Version : [WiFi] Official Windows 8 Driver Not Working, Alternate Driver Kinda Working

dotvezz
11-11-2012, 01:18 AM
So I have a very interesting problem! My G55, after upgrading to Windows 8 I tried using the built-in Qualcomm drivers, that didn't work so I experimented around for a bit. I'll try to get all the pertinent information into an easy-to-read post, in the steps that I took and the results that I got.

1) Install Windows 8 Fresh, use built-in drivers.
- Can connect to unsecured Wireless APs
- Cannot connect to most WPA2 encrypted APs
- Cannot connect to ANY APs using WPA2/PEAP with MCHAPv2 (Authentication against Microsoft Active Directory)
This is where things get a bit messy! At the university I attend and work for, every WiFi Access Point uses this scheme to authenticate users against the school's Active Directory. If you're unfamiliar with this, it basically means I use my school username and password instead of only a WPA2 password/key. It does ask for my username and password, but times out when trying to connect.

2) Install official Qualcomm drivers provided by ASUS at this page (link) (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G55VW/#download).
- Can connect to unsecured Wireless APs.
- Can connect to most (but finicky) WPA2 encrypted APs
- Identical problem with PEAP/MCHAPv2.

3) Fresh install of Windows 8 Pro again, then install this driver here (link) (http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/Atheros/Atheros-AR9485WB-EG-Wireless-Adapter-Driver-300119-for-Windows-8-x64.shtml). Results are very mixed, please read carefully:
- Can connect to all APs! No problem connecting at all! Very stable connection!
- Upon reboot, or restore from sleep/hibernate, the "Networks" charm/sidebar-thing shows that WiFi is in an "off" state.
- Upon reboot, or restore from sleep/hibernate, the "Network and Sharing Center" does not include the WLAN card in the list.
- Upon reboot, or restore from sleep/hibernate, the WLAN card is listed in the "Device Manager", is powered on and has no warnings.
3.1) After rebooting or restoring from sleep/hibernate, I need to delete the WLAN card from "Device Manager", then reinstall it with the proper drivers. Please read results, because it's still a mess here.
- Can connect to all APs!
- Disconnects after 10 seconds and forgets which driver to use?! This is very weird. The "Device Manager" shows that it has reverted to the driver included with Windows, forgetting that I had just installed it with an alternate driver.
3.2) After it forgets which driver to use, I go back to the "Device Manager", update it to use the alternate driver.
- Finally, it works. No problems until the next time I reboot or sleep/hibernate.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As you can see, this is a strange problem. That's a long and arduous process to go through every time I power my computer on. Anyone have similar issues, or perhaps a solution?

Please ask any questions if I was not clear in explaining anything.

Fire
11-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Post content deleted. That was flaming. @Fire, further outbursts will be treated with according to the rules of the forum.

--Zygomorphic

dotvezz
11-11-2012, 01:46 AM
It probably is user error. Want to help me out?

rewben
11-11-2012, 02:14 AM
@dotvezz, can you try this one (http://station-drivers.com/telechargement/atheros/wifi/atheros_wifi_10.0.0.216-w7-8(www.station-drivers.com).exe) out?

dotvezz
11-11-2012, 02:24 AM
@rawben: Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it has the same problem as the built-in driver and the one provided on the ASUS download page. I can connect to unsecure APs and some WPA2 secured APs, but I can't get onto any of the school's APs.

Reverting back to the alternate driver which I specified earlier, however, allows me to connect.

rewben
11-11-2012, 02:33 AM
ok :/ if that's the case, i'm afraid that you might need to change some settings at low level.

1. you could connect to the school AP when you're running windows 7, right?
2. what're the differences of ASUS driver and the one from softpedia in the device manager > atheros wifi > advanced tab?

dotvezz
11-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Sorry for being so late here. My fiancee has Acer Aspire S3 ultrabook with the same WLAN card, and it's having the exact same problem. My other computers are just fine though.

I was actually able to use the alternate driver without any problems at all on both machines for about a month using Windows 8 Pro. Dreamspark got it to me early. However, this started happening simultaneously on both my fiancee's Acer and my G55 at the same time. Perhaps a setting on the school's wifi changed, or the Windows update this past Tuesday changed something.

As for your other question, the values in the Advanced tab are all identical across both drivers.

More information: Linux has zero problems with WiFi connectivity on my G55, and booting from a live image on the S3 has the same results; it's just fine in linux, but not Windows 8.

rewben
11-11-2012, 03:38 PM
can you use system restore to revert to a previous point where you think you would have no problem?

dotvezz
11-11-2012, 08:07 PM
I did try that before I reformatted. Unfortunately, it didn't fix anything.

Now I've reformatted my OS drive in order to troubleshoot from a fresh platform.

EDIT: nevermind, I can get on unencrypted networks with the official driver. But interestingly, even it doesn't work after rebooting.

dotvezz
11-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I've got some screenshots for you guys (one is a picture from my phone since I apparently can't screenshot the Charms bars with Snipping Tool.)

These were both taken after a reboot using the official drivers, as provided by ASUS. It's identical with the alternate driver except with the alternate driver, the device itself has a different name in the device manager: "Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adaptor"

13694]

dotvezz
11-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Okay, well. I've found a temporary solution that's much easier than what I had been doing. Of course, it's embarrassing that I didn't think of it before.

Just using Windows' built-in troubleshooter, it automatically turns it on without any problems. I never figured it would do anything because the keyboard Fn combination doesn't.

Anywho, I'm satisfied with this and using my alternate driver. But the issue that I have with the official driver still stands. Trying to access most encrypted APs with the official driver is a no-go.

che0po
11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
same bug here