PDA

View Full Version : Is a Better 'Search' function Possible ???

chrsplmr
11-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Rich,
As the title implies, is this possible ?

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the results returned.
(excuse me if my perception is squewed)

Searches for Win8, Windows 8, crosshair win8,
bios win8, Windows8 ..ie.. or any single minded entry yeild little but frustration.

or could you give us an idea of how the engine works .. title .. keyword anywhere
on anything .. and then how does it weight it .. date ? how many times it is in the body ?

I know there is room for improvement in all things .. this forum is now Gigantic ..
finding things you know you have read is ... not impossible but ....

If you are lucky enough to remember the Members name .. you can read All of
their post titles ... if you remember that ..

just a suggestion .. this is an awesome bundle of information on one database ..
(maybe one of the databaseGurus can provide a little better shovel.)respectfully.c.

HiVizMan
11-11-2012, 02:35 PM
We have a search engine?

Use the Google search function as follows in the google box -http://rog.asus.com/forum: site:rog.asus.com win8

The yellow part is your search terms. I have long given up with the search function

chrsplmr
11-11-2012, 02:53 PM
aaaaaaaaahhhh .. yes indeed. I forgot this. ThankYou....

I am not a man easily frustrated .. but .. it tried my patience to say the least.

Google ... take me away .. hehe .. thnxViz.c.

Arne Saknussemm
11-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Cooool! top tip there....I too have been utterly confounded by the ROG search even "advanced" search :confused:

Myk SilentShadow
11-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Using the "Advanced Search" from within the Forums is pretty straightforward. All you do is enter your keywords in the box, remember to separate them with a ; click on the little drop down box and switch from "Search Entire Posts" to "Search Titles Only"

oh and if anyone is familiar with using string searches, aka "Boolean" searches...they really don't work in these Forums lol.

Skull6
11-14-2012, 10:25 PM
HiVizMan, when I attempt to surf to your link above, I get the dreaded "404 error."

_
12-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Yea VB search is craptacular unfortunately. Another thing on the list to replace it with Google

chrsplmr
12-01-2012, 12:04 PM
I call that 'job security' Rich,.. just dont let it deMotiVate as the list grows and grows ..
less we forget .. 'bigger is better' ... of course it doesnt hurt none .. if ya 'know how to use it.' hehe

This forum may be All uphill .. but I have seen no sign of That slowing the momentum.cudos all involved.c.

HiVizMan
12-01-2012, 12:06 PM
HiVizMan, when I attempt to surf to your link above, I get the dreaded "404 error."

Skull6 just did a copy and paste and searched here is what I got. Over 500K hits.

TenBlade
12-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I too get a 404, but it's within the ROG site. All the top menus are up there, underneath a BIG 404, a small "sorry..." then a small search bar. But...hang on, ok explains it; I pasted the link in the address field of my browser, not in a Google search bar. Probably what you did too, Skull6.

HiVizMan
12-01-2012, 02:42 PM
I too get a 404, but it's within the ROG site. All the top menus are up there, underneath a BIG 404, a small "sorry..." then a small search bar. But...hang on, ok explains it; I pasted the link in the address field of my browser, not in a Google search bar. Probably what you did too, Skull6.

LOL sorry my bad, I should have said you have to post the terms in google search. :o

TenBlade
12-01-2012, 02:54 PM
No worries, mate lol
It DOES show in the pic. you posted, just me being a little slow :rolleyes:

Very relevant post and good solutions! That's a rep all the way round :cool:
Edit: xept you, chrs, gotta spread some "mo love" before it's your turn...

chrsplmr
12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
TenBlade .. its the thought that counts bro .. and I appreciate .. trust me.c.